Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - Less than 2 weeks to camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Perhaps that's why they take more than 1 year into consideration?

Matthews of course is a different scenario, being a 1st. overall in a good draft and winning a major award just comes with some benefits.

Draft position compensation might not be fair, 1st. rounders are often signed before the summer of their draft is over, while most picks have to prove it.

If marner was 1st. overall and won the Calder I bet his path to money would be easier ... not that 10mm is to sneeze at. How about Werenski 3rd. in Calder voting, better than marner, and he's looking for between 5-6?
He is not better then Marner...

Reactions: Damisoph

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Nope. That sort of deal makes sense to me though, as a last resort for Dubas. Maybe I'm just projecting my own feelings, I just want this soap opera to be over.

It’s only a soap opera out here with media speculating wildly. I doubt Dubas or Ferris are losing sleep. I wonder if Mitch or Paul have heard a single number yet.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I don’t know what they offered. I’m saying it’s dumb to take the worst reporter
Who makes an off hand comment months after the fact as proof of anything.

Regardless. Who knows what Ferris thinks is a low ball? 15 million.

He’s kind of a donkey
This isnt logical. I would suggest you think a logical number through instead of trying to argue something as absurd as 15mm. A dispassionate view would not get us a number higher than Matthews. You are just trying to snuff out any culpability of Dubas instead of having an honest discussion. Emotions do this. Ceding a point that Dubas miscalculated is not the end of the world when it is so obvious that he likely did. A better point is that he isnt the first nor the last. Adding Willy , Sparks and AM to the mix of that mistake is what buries him a bit.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Call Ferris and offer him 2 deals. A short term bridge 3 x $8m that would allow the Leafs some wiggle room to make additions in hopefully a run this year.
Also offer longer term 6 x $10.5 deal. Both may be an over payment but it gets it done and many are anticipating the salary cap to balloon quite a bit with the new US Tv deal. Worry about that later.

Let Ferris know that they are no longer negotiating. These are the only 2 contracts they can offer right now and they'll need to choose one. No more discussions, he can sit or play in Europe.
Dubas has already made a number of moves to open cap space to accommodate Marner so let him decide. It's time for Dubas and the Leafs to call the bluff.

We've heard nonsense all summer about offer sheets and multiple teams being interested and Marner would force the Leafs hand with offer sheets. None of that happened. Marner doesn't want to leave Toronto and his multiple endorsement deals so call his bluff.

Sign or sit kid.

I also find it extremely funny how so many are calling Nylander's $6.9 salary a massive over payment when it's right in line with his comparables yet have no problem paying Marner Matthews money or more.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Call Ferris and offer him 2 deals. A short term bridge 3 x $8m that would allow the Leafs some wiggle room to make additions in hopefully a run this year.
Also offer longer term 6 x $10.5 deal. Both may be an over payment but it gets it done and many are anticipating the salary cap to balloon quite a bit with the new US Tv deal. Worry about that later.

Let Ferris know that they are no longer negotiating. These are the only 2 contracts they can offer right now and they'll need to choose one. No more discussions, he can sit or play in Europe.
Dubas has already made a number of moves to open cap space to accommodate Marner so let him decide. It's time for Dubas and the Leafs to call the bluff.

We've heard nonsense all summer about offer sheets and multiple teams being interested and Marner would force the Leafs hand with offer sheets. None of that happened. Marner doesn't want to leave Toronto and his multiple endorsement deals so call his bluff.

Sign or sit kid.

I also find it extremely funny how so many are calling Nylander's $6.9 salary a massive over payment when it's right in line with his comparables yet have no problem paying Marner Matthews money or more.

Marner’s response 9.5 AAV *3 paid out as 8,8.5, 12

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nobody in the league is willing to pay Marner what he thinks he's worth, and that is Auston Matthews money. Just anecdotally, I think it would make sense for any team to risk 4 first rounders and a massive contract to steal Auston Matthews away, but they wouldn't commit the same resources to acquiring Mitch Marner.

Now you can make the argument that Matthews vs Marner could play out like Lecavalier vs St. Louis where the small winger proves he's better than the big franchise center, in which case this thinking is wrong, but St. Louis' level of achievement was also several orders of magnitude higher than Marner's, over a much longer period of time, to be worth that investment.

That first paragraph is a main part of the reason to explain the Matthews contract its overpayment and its short term for top $$. Dubas knew full well that had Matthews reached RFA status that he would have received OS on day #1 for AAV in the 15's perhaps. Because franchise #1C have that kind of leverage to make their own teams overpay if they so desire. Leafs essentially purchased only 1 UFA year from Matthews with a price tag around $15 mil for year #5 and 4 x RFA years @ $10 mil AAV.

Wingers even good ones like Marner simply do not have that kind of clout as we have seen with Marner's Zero offersheet leverage.. It doesn't matter if its on draft day or as RFA status primary team building blocks are C and D and wingers are secondary and not worth 4 X 1st round picks compensation unless your OV or something really special.

Those factors above should prove Matthews is not a good comparable comp for Marner to be paid similarly. Aho's OS total would have only surrendered a 1 X 1st rounder (+2nd +3rd) at $8.45 mil x 5 years which is more in the line with what Marner should be. If Marner wanted that contract there would be teams willing to sign him to an OS by now. IMO

However Marner seems to be leveraging points scored on the same team and the Leafs internal salary structure against the Leafs by using Matthews as his comp.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You don't think this team needs anything? I'd be looking at a high end d-man and another forward

What will he sign for with new team? Unsigned, they’re not getting much.
If the Leafs let him sit and were to sign another $6 million player then he’ll sign a tier 2 OS in November and the leafs get nothing but a few draft picks

He holds he cards.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I would love to trade Marner for Tkachuk.
  1. Much easier to sign to a long term deal
  2. A true power forward who hits, crashes the crease, agitates the opposition
  3. Underrated passer, silky hands for a power player
  4. Would fit perfectly on Matthews or Tavares wing
Tkachuk - Matthews - Johnsson
Hyman - Tavares - Nylander (don’t yell at me)
Moore - Kerfoot - Kappy
Agostino - Spezza - Mikhayev
Petan
Could you imagine the potential media/fan uproar...Sending a good Canadian lad - from the GTA to Calgary for yet another American born in the desert?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
If the Leafs let him sit and were to sign another $6 million player then he’ll sign a tier 2 OS in November and the leafs get nothing but a few draft picks

He holds he cards.

He doesn't hold the cards anymore. No os threats, playing overseas? Whatever.....
If there's no sign and trade to be had, set a deadline, and let him sit

If Marner broke his leg in game 1 would the season for the Leafs be over? No, he's one player.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

He holds he cards.

Why wouldn't the new team sign him?
They wouldn't trade for him without talking to his agent about his ask.
If the ask is appropriate they trade for him.
If the ask isn't appropriate he isn't worth his ask.
He'll be rich, eventually, whether he plays this season or not.
Leafs will be rich whether he plays or not.
He's just an asset with a limited lifetime value.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
That first paragraph is a main part of the reason to explain the Matthews contract its overpayment and its short term for top $$. Dubas knew full well that had Matthews reached RFA status that he would have received OS on day #1 for AAV in the 15's perhaps. Because franchise #1C have that kind of leverage to make their own teams overpay if they so desire.

If you have leverage to get an amount based on the market's willingness to give you that amount it is not an overpayment.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

He holds he cards.
He holds no cards anymore. If the holdout lasts into the season, he gets traded. Or sits the season And right now, the Leafs can match up to 4 first round picks.

Why would he wait to sign an offer sheet for less than he could sign for right now? People need to use a little common sense here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad