Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - Less than 2 weeks to camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
“If we would have had the opportunity to sign Mitch or Auston or William early on to a deal that we thought would fit within the framework of what we were doing or they were willing to sign, for us there was no trying to delay it, there was no trying to push it down the road,” Dubas said. “Going through all this, actually the first person once I took the job that I met with regarding any contract at all was Darren (Ferris), at the combine."

From the Athletic

There goes the popular theory some like to bandy about

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'm not very impressed that all of our young star players seem to be money first, team second kind of guys, many here will argue that this is the norm but I don't see it like that. Its getting harder and harder to be attached to players in this league when they blatantly care more about a few million more $$ than a shot at becoming a god and winning a cup. Because Mitch Marner's life will be so much different with 12 million in his pocket every year vs 9 million.

These are the kind of athletes we want our children to look up to? time to tell the kids their favourite players don't give a crap about them or their support as fans. BARF.

It's unfortunately become the norm among today's young professional athletes. You're absolutely right though, these are not the kind of role models I want my 2 young boys to look up to.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This is what happens when the team gladly gives a guy (Matthews) more, or less what he wanted (even more than what veteran Tavares got via UFA), and then teammate Marner (who's just as popular - if not more so since he's a a local kid) has produced more these past 2 seasons (granted due largely to Matthews shoulder injuries).

I'm sure rival GMs have a dartboard in their office with Dubas' picture on it.

Don't get me wrong - I like Dubas, and he's a stand up guy for taking the heat this past spring (while Babcock shrugged it off), but his style of management - being 'friendly' with the players - may just bite him in the a$$...

its nice to see the opinion of non-leaf fan that is logical and not filled with flowery massage of dubas fanboys where dubas can do no wrong

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
They might not be rational but lying is a different story. There was quite obviously an offer last summer because Ferris said there was a lowball. It is also hard to believe that the Marner camp would have called a 8.5 to 9mm x 8 a lowball back then. To your point...possibly insufficient but most certainly not a lowball.

I’m sure at some point they talked numbers? Sure. But what you think or I think a lowball according to Ferris is in no way a sure thing.

It would not surprise me for a second if they thought 9 x 8 was a lowball.

I’m not surprised if they think 11.5 x5 is a lowball.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What will he sign for with new team? Unsigned, they’re not getting much.
If the Leafs let him sit and were to sign another $6 million player then he’ll sign a tier 2 OS in November and the leafs get nothing but a few draft picks

He holds he cards.

If he sits he becomes a toxic asset. This is a league dominated by old boy GMs who operate in a tacitly collusion manner.

If he sits out this season, not only would he lose put on multiple million hell never get back, hed be forced to accept a less than optimal contract next fall, probably only 1-2 years in a "prove it" set up.

Sitting out a season would cost Marner 10-30 million in real dollars depending on what the long term repercussions are for sitting out.

He holds no cards other than refusing to sign. And if he refuses to sign with Toronto, we probably dodged a bullet because it would be harder to name a bigger idiot in pro sports to do something like that. It exactly the kind of guy I'd want on my team moving forward.

Reactions: supermann_98

HC7

May 2, 2018
Kucherov signed his 3 year deal for 6.53% of the cap.

86277a0fed.png

6.53% of 81.5 million equals $5.32 million.
7% = $5.70M
8% = $6.52M
9% = $7.33M
10% = $8.15M

Can someone tell me why Mitch deserves 9.5 million?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

86277a0fed.png

7% = $5.70M
8% = $6.52M
9% = $7.33M
10% = $8.15M

Because in some world, assists are the same as goals
Centres are the same as wingers

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
9.5 AAV over 3 is a pretty good deal that was not an option in the OP.
Configured 8,8.5,12 which would set him up for his next long term contract.

We know for a fact that teams who have talked to Marner have balked at the request for a high money short term contract. No offersheet like that is coming.

It's a non threat.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
he is 37th overall in the league in terms of total salary for this upcoming season though ;)

Who cares what he actually gets paid though? It doesn't affect us in any way, and all that affects the team is the ongoing cap hit.

I mean, he isn't somehow a more valuable player to us, only making $6 mil per year... though easier to trade.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

86277a0fed.png

7% = $5.70M
8% = $6.52M
9% = $7.33M
10% = $8.15M

umm... he has led the leafs in scoring for 2 consecutive years and plays against oppositions' top lines

EDIT: Nevermind; I misread your post. I see your point there

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
What a stupid thing to rate him by "Total Salary". Because his cap hit and cap hit percentage are nowhere close to top 50. Why does total salary matter in any way.

you do know that i was just joking around right? or are you such a huge nylander fanboy that you jump on any nylander critic (even if it is a joke); and defend his last season as "worthy" because of some BS underlying fairytale stats

Reactions: dsred

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
“If we would have had the opportunity to sign Mitch or Auston or William early on to a deal that we thought would fit within the framework of what we were doing or they were willing to sign, for us there was no trying to delay it, there was no trying to push it down the road,” Dubas said. “Going through all this, actually the first person once I took the job that I met with regarding any contract at all was Darren (Ferris), at the combine."

From the Athletic

There goes the popular theory some like to bandy about
He has said himself he regretted slow playing Nylander, and in retrospect wished they talked more in the summer.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
its nice to see the opinion of non-leaf fan that is logical and not filled with flowery massage of dubas fanboys where dubas can do no wrong
Got a soft spot for the Leafs...Had it since the late 80s - watching Wendel Clark score goals, and punch faces...Soft spot continued - visited Toronto a handful of times since the early 90s, and attended a few games at the ACC (err - Scotiabank Arena)...Wife, and I love the city of Toronto...Great place to visit, and I can imagine it's no different living there.

Reactions: janesy12

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
you do know that i was just joking around right? or are you such a huge nylander fanboy that you jump on any nylander critic (even if it is a joke); and defend his last season as "worthy" because of some BS underlying fairytale stats

Not a Nylander fanboy.

Just hate to see nitpick champions like yourself trying to diminish players based on BS.

You hate on Dubas/Nylander/Matthews then turn around and whine when people talk about Marner not being the highest paid winger in the league.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Kerfoot had 2 less points than Kadri....

the hypocrisy in your posts never ceases to amaze me

your continuous rants on looking at marner and nylander points for two seasons averaging about 60ish points

but when it comes to kerfoot and kadri comparison you only want to look at "one" year? LOL

Kadri>>Kerfoot based on Kadri's career totals

It sickens me the lengths Dubas cult will go to defend dubas' moves

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Got a soft spot for the Leafs...Had it since the late 80s - watching Wendel Clark score goals, and punch faces...Soft spot continued - visited Toronto a handful of times since the early 90s, and attended a few games at the ACC (err - Scotiabank Arena)...Wife, and I love the city of Toronto...Great place to visit, and I can imagine it's no different living there.

Toronto is a great city; except it has its own crazys and cultists like any other sports cities. example: we have a dubas cult who thinks dubas can do no wrong and one should not critic dubas at all

:laugh:

Reactions: FMichael

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If he sits he becomes a toxic asset. This is a league dominated by old boy GMs who operate in a tacitly collusion manner.

If he sits out this season, not only would he lose put on multiple million hell never get back, hed be forced to accept a less than optimal contract next fall, probably only 1-2 years in a "prove it" set up.

Sitting out a season would cost Marner 10-30 million in real dollars depending on what the long term repercussions are for sitting out.

He holds no cards other than refusing to sign. And if he refuses to sign with Toronto, we probably dodged a bullet because it would be harder to name a bigger idiot in pro sports to do something like that. It exactly the kind of guy I'd want on my team moving forward.

Or he could sign an OS in November and there’s not much the Leafs could do about it if they’ve used their cap other than take the 2 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd. He has some leverage.

He signed a 3 yr $9 million deal with another team people would go crazy around here.

From a pure entertainment standpoint having him sit out the year would glorious, but I don’t think that’ll happen.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Not a Nylander fanboy.

Just hate to see nitpick champions like yourself trying to diminish players based on BS.

You hate on Dubas/Nylander/Matthews then turn around and whine when people talk about Marner not being the highest paid winger in the league.

I guess you and I have very different definitions of BS; I don't defend 27 point seasons based on "zone entries" and whine about players who lead the team in scoring (marner)

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Man, twitter loses its mind when Dreger expresses his opinion. The same detractors will cite him the moment it serves their agendas. I always find that funny.

Dreger has an opinion, which some actually subscribe to....and I personally don’t see the giant chasm between Matthews and Marner in terms of team importance some argue here. Matthew is more valuable, but I view it as 1, 1A.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Or he could sign an OS in November and there’s not much the Leafs could do about it if they’ve used their cap other than take the 2 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd. He has some leverage.

He signed a 3 yr $9 million deal with another team people would go crazy around here.
From a pure entertainment standpoint having him sit out the year would glorious, but I don’t think that’ll happen.[/B]

It might be entertaining if you're the Marquis De Sade.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
the hypocrisy in your posts never ceases to amaze me

your continuous rants on looking at marner and nylander points for two seasons averaging about 60ish points

but when it comes to kerfoot and kadri comparison you only want to look at "one" year? LOL

Kadri>>Kerfoot based on Kadri's career totals

It sickens me the lengths Dubas cult will go to defend dubas' moves

Kadrid career totals are obviously going to be higher considering thers like a half decade age gap between the players -this was a dumb point

If one wants to broaden the comparison to include more stats, Kerfoots defensive metrics are off.the charts good. I'm a huge Kadri fan, but some folks around here are severely

And you of all people using the term "cult" to describe other people in this thresd is a wee bit hypocritical considering the strange way you view Marner

Reactions: kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad