Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - Less than 2 weeks to camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Kucherov signed his 3 year deal for 6.53% of the cap.

86277a0fed.png

6.53% of 81.5 million equals $5.32 million.
7% = $5.70M
8% = $6.52M
9% = $7.33M
10% = $8.15M

Can someone tell me why Mitch deserves 9.5 million?

Kucherov plays in Tampa.

Where Marner works, two equal employees make 11 and 11.6 per year and one of the employees was given an A bonus a year after Mitch was told they don’t give A bonuses.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Man, twitter loses its mind when Dreger expresses his opinion. The same detractors will cite him the moment it serves their agendas. I always find that funny.

Dreger has an opinion, which some actually subscribe to....and I personally don’t see the giant chasm between Matthews and Marner in terms of team importance some argue here. Matthew is more valuable, but I view it as 1, 1A.

You don't think its problematic when a journalist deliberately blurs the line between opinion and reporting?

I mean there's food reason why some.lf Dregers peers in the media have been critical of his rfa coverage this summer. it's not just fans who don't care for it...

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I guess you and I have very different definitions of BS; I don't defend 27 point seasons based on "zone entries" and whine about players who lead the team in scoring (marner)

I haven't defended a 27 point season in any way. Stop putting words in my mouth.

What do you mean you don't whine about Marner ? That's 90% of your posts.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I don't see how we can watch Sebastian Aho get 8.5M x 5 years, and then give Mitch Marner 1M more on the AAV for 2 less seasons.

I mean, their respective PPG's over the last two seasons are very close, & Aho scores more goals, on a less offensive powered team, and Aho is Carolina's best player, and their top line center.

9.5M x 3 years is hard to even consider defending.

This.

Love the kid but, I like the leafs better.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Kadrid career totals are obviously going to be higher considering thers like a half decade age gap between the players -this was a dumb point

If one wants to broaden the comparison to include more stats, Kerfoots defensive metrics are off.the charts good. I'm a huge Kadri fan, but some folks around here are severely

And you of all people using the term "cult" to describe other people in this thresd is a wee bit hypocritical considering the strange way you view Marner
Checkmate. They are the strangest cult I have ever seen, wanting to put the screws to their supposedly favourite team.

Which leaves 2 options. Other team's fans here to troll Leaf fans, or they are part of Marner's negotiation team here to try to silence logical thinking.

There are zero other options.

Reactions: Menzinger

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You don't think its problematic when a journalist deliberately blurs the line between opinion and reporting?

I mean there's food reason why some.lf Dregers peers in the media have been critical of his rfa coverage this summer. it's not just fans who don't care for it...

If you've got a bias just admit it

When you do people take what you sat with a grain of Salt but will still listen to you, just look at Fox and MSNBC in the political realm, People despise CNN because they are biased but refuse to admit it

Your getting feed info from the agents, cool report it but don't pretend your not coming at this from one side

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Toronto is a great city; except it has its own crazys and cultists like any other sports cities. example: we have a dubas cult who thinks dubas can do no wrong and one should not critic dubas at all

:laugh:
My 1st visit to Toronto was with a buddy of mine back in the summer of '91...We stayed at the Neill-Wycik 'hotel' for a handful of nights :laugh:

Was walking around the nearby area during the day, and stumbled across this place known as Maple Leaf Gardens...Doors were wide open as it was a warm sunny day so we ventured in...The guys who were watching the front door/s didn't have a problem when asked if we could walk around a bit since we were fans, and were visiting from the States...It was great - we wandered around the Gold seats for a bit, the concourse, and then chatted up with an 'old salt' custodian/maintenance guy who had been an employee of MLSE for 30 plus years...It's sumthin I'll never forget.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary Nylund

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
As a fan base, I think we need to take a collective stance somehow with Dreger. The dude is a joke.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Is there a fan amongst us that didn’t think Marner would get over paid? Seriously...after the Nylander roll over and the Matthews gift, it was always going to be an overpay. So why get pissed at the next horse at the Dubie dollar trough? Don’t get it.

Reactions: rubous and dsred

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
As a fan base, I think we need to take a collective stance somehow with Dreger. The dude is a joke.

Most people view him as a joke, if he's getting feed pro player information I'm of the belief he should report it

If Leafs management can't see how transparent this is we have no hope anyway

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Is there a fan amongst us that didn’t think Marner would get over paid? Seriously...after the Nylander roll over and the Matthews gift, it was always going to be an overpay. So why get pissed at the next horse at the Dubie dollar trough? Don’t get it.
Because some believe the big season may have been a mirage. And those people are entitled to their opinion just like anyone else.
Take away the Marner empty net production, and it's 22 goals and 87 points, or less than Matthews pace where he had to do it mostly on his own without a Tavares calibre player.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

If by overpay. You mean. Directly in line with historical comparables and even predicted by independent models.
Sure.

Reactions: kb

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Was in Pakistan for the past 6 weeks so barely kept us with leafs news. Did anything happen on the marner front. Any scheduled public meetings with dubas flying to meet marner face to face, any reliable numbers thrown out? Or is it still the same wait and see game with no concrete timeline for a marner signing.
Nice Dubas interview on TSN (30 min), check it out. He talks everything about Leafs. Says things with Marner and agent should ramp up now that they're closer to training camp. Doesn't make any guarantees but makes it clear he wants all his high end talents to be career Leafs. He values Mitch as a person and as a high-end player.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The best thing that could happen with this thread is if it hits a thousand post in the next 5 minutes and never gets replaced ;)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If you've got a bias just admit it

When you do people take what you sat with a grain of Salt but will still listen to you, just look at Fox and MSNBC in the political realm, People despise CNN because they are biased but refuse to admit it

Your getting feed info from the agents, cool report it but don't pretend your not coming at this from one side

I just don't understand how anyone whose even paid remote attention to somebody like Dreger iver the years whose make a career peddling rumor after rumor suddenly think we should 100% believe everything he says.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We know for a fact that teams who have talked to Marner have balked at the request for a high money short term contract. No offersheet like that is coming.

It's a non threat.

Maybe not in November if the Leafs can’t match and Marner wants to play....I wouldn’t put myself in the position if I was Dubas. And I don’t think he will

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Maybe not in November if the Leafs can’t match and Marner wants to play....I wouldn’t put myself in the position if I was Dubas. And I don’t think he will
They can still trade him if he wants to play. I don't get the angle where all he wants to do is screw the team he grew up cheering for...the city where he's getting endless endorsements....it doesn't make any logical sense. That's financial suicide.

Very few teams outside of the bottom 8 could fit him in.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Anyone remember that time Marner pulled through in game 7 to get us into rd2? How the other kids did the same?

Obviously a big old Nope, but clearly they are all worth the highest paid contracts age vs performance. No PO accomplishments or anything. What a joke.

Reactions: Matthews34

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I just don't understand how anyone whose even paid remote attention to somebody like Dreger iver the years whose make a career peddling rumor after rumor suddenly think we should 100% believe everything he says.

I don't believe anything from the pundits, I think LeBrun and Johnson are good at their jobs and I don't trust what there saying either

This is like any major negotiation, people leak things to help themselves and bolster their position

It's not overly complicated

Reactions: Nithoniniel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad