Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - 1 week to camp ... nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
My guess is still that Marner's camp is being deliberately impossible just so Marner can step in before the season and take a lesser deal to get it done. And I think that deal is what they've had in mind for a while now. It would look good on Marner even if he's actually getting more than he perhaps deserve.

This seems optimistic. What has given you this impression?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
My guess is still that Marner's camp is being deliberately impossible just so Marner can step in before the season and take a lesser deal to get it done. And I think that deal is what they've had in mind for a while now. It would look good on Marner even if he's actually getting more than he perhaps deserve.
Agreed.
I said quite a while ago that they will come to a resolution that will make both sides look good.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Agreed.
I said quite a while ago that they will come to a resolution that will make both sides look good.

What would you suggest those #'s look like in $$ and term?

I don't care what he signs for.

Asked and answered.

However it seems hard to imagine a # that Marner would sign for and also make Dubas look good in terms of league comparables based on current positioning and the numbers being floated. The amount and term Mitch wants would be viewed as an overpayment that would make Dubas look bad.

An actual offersheet would resolve this solution one way or the other and actually give Dubas more cover if he matches it or not based on making what he thinks is a good hockey decision based on what is best for the Leafs long-term. In regards to Marner a signed OS means its a contract he also would be satisfied with reflective of his own perceived value.

Last edited:

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
Well, I guess in part because of just how unreasonable they are being, how they allegedly wouldn't sign an offer sheet, and how much Mitch really wants to be here.

But I think you're right. I'm mainly just an optimistic person.

Don't get me wrong, I hope you're right. But, to me, the simplest explanation for the lack of progress is that the Marner camp is obstinately sticking to a particular figure.

Incidentally, I think from an optics perspective, simply signing as early as possible looks best anyway. I don't think the average fan even differentiates Marner from his camp in these negotiations, to be honest.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

If it's 6 years I'd be shocked if it wasn't at least 10M-10.5M and that might be light, in fact Marner could go to the news conference and talk about taking a little off to help the team with a straight face

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If it's 6 years I'd be shocked if it wasn't at least 10M-10.5M and that might be light, in fact Marner could go to the news conference and talk about taking a little off to help the team with a straight face
Yeah, I'm being overly optimistic here, I know. Let's just get it done and get this show on the road.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yeah, I'm being overly optimistic here, I know. Let's just get it done and get this show on the road.

I'd imagine the team feels the same, unless Marner is completely intransigent I think something will get done around camp starting

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I'd imagine the team feels the same, unless Marner is completely intransigent I think something will get done around camp starting
Maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me, but I feel him signing with Car may mean a longer term deal is close with Marner, and they told Jake's camp that there wouldn't be enough cap to fit him in.

But more likely, Gardiner signing means squat as it relates to Marner.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me, but I feel him signing with Car may mean a longer term deal is close with Marner, and they told Jake's camp that there wouldn't be enough cap to fit him in.

Probably b/c it's so close to training camp he wanted to be with his team instead of trying to get every penny he could get by waiting :sarcasm:

Reactions: Confucius and kb

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I hope Dubas is exploring a trade at this point. **** this POS.
I’d hope that at the very least Dubas while telling the media he hasn’t even considered trading Mitch, yet at the same time telling Ferris he’s exploring trades if they cannot reach a deal.

Hopefully light a fire under the ass of the Marner camp to sign a deal while still publicly kissing his ass thru the media

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Yeah thanks for putting the screws to us Mitch, noway we could offer Jake a deal until mr entitled makes a decision. Carolina does have a good gm, Jake at 4 million for four years is a great deal. If I remember correctly people some around here were saying he'd get 7

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yeah thanks for putting the screws to us Mitch, noway we could offer Jake a deal until mr entitled makes a decision. Carolina does have a good gm, Jake at 4 million for four years is a great deal. If I remember correctly people some around here were saying he'd get 7
You don't honestly believe they didn't re-sign Gardiner because of Marner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad