Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - 1 week to camp ... nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I’d hope that at the very least Dubas while telling the media he hasn’t even considered trading Mitch, yet at the same time telling Ferris he’s exploring trades if they cannot reach a deal.

Hopefully light a fire under the ass of the Marner camp to sign a deal while still publicly kissing his ass thru the media

Dubas is incompetent.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Wouldn't that be the same thing ?

No. When a player signs a fair contract both sides look good. When a player signs a team friendly deal both sides look good - the player looks like they gave a discount for the team to be better - and the team looks good either for being great at negotiating or creating the atmosphere where a player is willing to take a team friendly deal.

On the other hand I think that Hayes's contract is a bad deal. I don't think the player looks bad in that specific situation, but the team does.

People can say what they want and will try to justify it in whatever ways they can but....

Nylander's deal made both the team and player look bad. So did Matthews' deal. And likely Marners'.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
:facepalm: This fanbase is incompetent.

The only meaningful contract he has managed to sign without significant acrimony was a massive overpayment that walks our franchise centre right into unrestricted free agency and a return to Arizona.

Dubas inherited a roster that any GM would be envious of and he has managed to ruin RFAs for the entire league.

I know posters here love him because they can relate to nerdy young person who is in over their heads, but that doesn't make him a competent GM.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
The only meaningful contract he has managed to sign without significant acrimony was a massive overpayment that walks our franchise centre right into unrestricted free agency and a return to Arizona.

Dubas inherited a roster that any GM would be envious of and he has managed to ruin RFAs for the entire league.

This is a joke right? You don't actually think that overpaying one of the best centers in the league by a couple hundred grand is that catastrophic, right?

Reactions: Menzinger

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me, but I feel him signing with Car may mean a longer term deal is close with Marner, and they told Jake's camp that there wouldn't be enough cap to fit him in.

But more likely, Gardiner signing means squat as it relates to Marner.

I'm still thinking 3 year bridge, if we could get term with him locked up under 10.5M sign me up but i dont think thats as likely

I'm thinking bridge and we really pin the ears back for a cup in that window

Reactions: kb

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
This is a joke right? You don't actually think that overpaying one of the best centers in the league by a couple hundred grand is that catastrophic, right?

:laugh:

People here are pinning their hopes on a 3 year cup window because they have already accepted that Marner is going to get exactly what he wants from Dubas.

Its like Stockholm Syndrome. And the more incompetent the GM the more ardent his supporters are. This is like Burke all over again....results be damned, you just want to believe. :rolleyes:

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
No. When a player signs a fair contract both sides look good. When a player signs a team friendly deal both sides look good - the player looks like they gave a discount for the team to be better - and the team looks good either for being great at negotiating or creating the atmosphere where a player is willing to take a team friendly deal.

On the other hand I think that Hayes's contract is a bad deal. I don't think the player looks bad in that specific situation, but the team does.

People can say what they want and will try to justify it in whatever ways they can but....

Nylander's deal made both the team and player look bad. So did Matthews' deal. And likely Marners'.

For every deal discussed on these forms for the most part, someone wins and someone loses (That may not be how it should be, but that's what seems to be the thought). There never seems to be a "perfect number" for any player, either they got more they they are worth (Player looks good) or they got less then they are worth (Team looks good).

As far as Nylander and Matthews deals, both signed within comparables. Matthews hasn't played a single game into that new contract and Nylander started late and had a bad season. Pretty early to be saying those contracts made both sides look bad.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

People here are pinning their hopes on a 3 year cup window because they have already accepted that Marner is going to get exactly what he wants from Dubas.

Its like Stockholm Syndrome. And the more incompetent the GM the more ardent his supporters are. This is like Burke all over again....results be damned, you just want to believe. :rolleyes:

I was joking before, but now I actually don't know if you're being serious or not.

What's this about Burke? Is this a hotpaws burner account?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I've said what I needed to about Mitch and this situation a long time ago now. Not going to repeat like others. There is no doubt everyone will dissect the contract numbers once he's signed.

Honestly, I just hope he's there for camp. I was disappointed not to see Nylander (no contract) at camp last year, and it affected him big time. Training camp is a huge deal. We're inching closer to it.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
i agree with you.
i truly don't have time for this nonsense.

This will be the last time this happens in Leaf land for a long time, anyone else that tries holding out will sit or be traded, im sure Dermott, etc know this

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

I know posters here love him because they can relate to nerdy young person who is in over their heads, but that doesn't make him a competent GM.

All contracts he has signed are right in line with comparables. At the most 500k over payments, but IMO right where they should be.
Traded for Muzzin
Traded for Barrie
Signed Tavares
Got rid of every anchor contract the team had (Zaitsev, Marleau, Brown)

The Dubas haters are completely transparent on here. The guy has done a very good job with this team.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The problem with the idea that everything that is going in with RFAs this summer is because of Dubas is that there were interviews with agents even before Nylander signed that stated they thought this would happen. It's just a lazy, lazy narrative.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey

What? 3 years? Our Cup Window at minimum is 5 years if not more. Marner, Rielly, Barrie, and Andersen will all be re-signed by Dubas. He's doing a job Burke failed at miserably. Fans are supposed to believe every year, are you new?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You don't honestly believe they didn't re-sign Gardiner because of Marner?
They have no idea how much money they can spend. Gardiner at 4 million is a great deal. if they had "get all I can get by waiting until the last second" signed, who knows if they could have fit Jake in.

This negotiation has opened my eyes it is me before team. all the talk of team before me is just pure bs. Marner is supposedly a fan as well. Yeah right.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Anyone forget.. apparently Jake was waiting on Toronto...? I feel like it may be news something with Marner is close enough they informed him.

Reactions: kb

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I wonder if Tampa fans hate Point and Avs fans hate Rantanen as much as Leafs fans hate Marner on here.

Until he misses a game I wouldn't be losing my mind too much.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They have no idea how much money they can spend. Gardi er at 4 million is a great deal. if they had "get all I can get by waiting until the last second" who knows if they could have fit Jake in.

This negotiation has opened my eyes it is me before team. all the talk of team before me is just pure bs. Marner is supposedly a fan as well. Yeah right.
I'm sure they have a pretty good idea how much they can spend.
With Rielly, Muzzin, Barrie, Dermott, Ceci where do you see Gardiner and his 4 million/4 years fitting in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad