Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - 1 week to camp ... nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Okposo, Bailey, Vanek, Lee, Moulson, PAP. All have had much better seasons (playing with JT) than anything Willy has done thus far. Brown/ Kappy/ AJ/ Marleau/ Hyman don't really come anywhere near.

Moulson with JT: Best 2 years 36 goals 69 points in 82 and 15 goals 44 points in 47 games.
Bailey with JT: 18 goals 71 points in 76 games.
Lee: 40 goals 62 points in 82 games.
Okposo: 27 goals 69 points in 71 games and 22 goals 64 points in 79 games.
Vanek: 17 goals 44 points in 47 games.
PAP: 18 goals 67 points in 80 games.

Willy: 21 goals 61 points in 81 games and 20 goals 61 points in 82 games.

Feel free to do your own research though.

JT is a very good player and he 100% makes players around him much better. It's not a coincidence that players have career years playing with him. Auston Matthews might not have that same attribute BUT what he does have similar to guys like Crosby is the ability to play with mediocre talent (with high compete level) and decently skilled players and turning that trio into a legitimate top flight line in the league. Crosby for years played with guys like Dupuis and Kunitz and he didn't skip a beat when putting up monster numbers himself (granted his PP numbers were off the charts good, something that Matty doesn't have which IMO makes what he's doing even more impressive).

Two completely different types of players. Both are elite goal scorers. Willy has great chemistry with Auston and I feel like he has more than enough high end talent to become a PPG threat himself which IMO will elevate Auston to a whole different level.

What? I said the players Tavares played with were much worse than who Matthews played on their ELC and that is true. Tavares played with bad players who were just bad while Matthews played with legit top 6-9 players. Never said one was better than the other. Tavares played with guys like Nylander,Hyman,Kapanen,Johnsson on his ELC then who knows what he did and how much better his numbers would've been.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
"context" matters when talking about numbers

the "driving plays" stats are a combination of scoring chances and corsi (depending on what you use)

Nylander played with Matthews most of his career; did Keller play with a player like Matthews?

Nylander being the main man on PP and the comparison only makes sense if you he is to be that main man with a roster or PP unit like the yotes; don't compare that with the Leafs it is not apples to apples comparison
You're going to believe what you want. I've seen that you're not one to change your mind so I'm not going to waste my breath, but lighten up... things are better than they've ever been for Leafs fans.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
What? I said the players Tavares played with were much worse than who Matthews played on their ELC and that is true. Tavares played with bad players who were just bad while Matthews played with legit top 6-9 players. Never said one was better than the other. Tavares played with guys like Nylander,Hyman,Kapanen,Johnsson on his ELC then who knows what he did and how much better his numbers would've been.
I guess you're entitled to your opinions. Clearly you don't have any actual numbers that back up your argument. So. :thumbu:

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I guess you're entitled to your opinions. Clearly you don't have any actual numbers that back up your argument. So. :thumbu:

What numbers? We're talking about players skill levels here. Do you really think Moulson, Okposo, PAP, Grabner are better than Nylander, Hyman, Johnsson and Kapanen?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
What numbers? We're talking about players skill levels here. Do you really think Moulson, Okposo, PAP, Grabner are better than Nylander, Hyman, Johnsson and Kapanen?
They were in their primes when they played with Tavares. None of Willy/ AJ/ KK are in their prime and Hyman is in his prime but he's called stone hands for a reason (great tenacity, no finish).

Lee, Moulson, Bailey, Vanek, Okposo, PAP when they played with JT >>> Willy/ KK/ AJ/ Marleau/ Hyman when they played with Auston.

Long term speaking? Who knows. But right now, JT had much better players and it's really not much of a competition.

JT is a 4.5 star player in a league where the average player is probably 2.5-3 stars. Auston Matthews is 4.75 star player. McDavid/ Crosby/ Ovi would be your 5 star players. Both guys are top 10-15 players in the league without a doubt. Auston however is already ahead of JT and he's 7 years younger. Marner is a top 30-35 player who has a shot at becoming a top 15 talent as soon as the end of this upcoming season. He needs to have a monster year however. If he's sitting out, that is probably not going to be as likely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
His comparable is as close to Keller as Matthews

Matthews is on this team and Marner has outscored him in the last 2 seasons, he also just scored 94 points unlike Keller who scored 47 points

I like your optimism but your dreaming if thats going to happen

I'll take any bet you want he's going to get a better contract than any of the other RFA'S, in fact I'll take the same bet with anybody on here

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
It's sad that we've come this far. To think, Marner will be hearing a smattering of boos from the home crowd when he touches the puck for the first time this season.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
It's sad that we've come this far. To think, Marner will be hearing a smattering of boos from the home crowd when he touches the puck for the first time this season.

He's not going to get booed. Nylander didn't even get booed I don't think.

The Leafs home game crowd is generally pretty respectful. It's not full of the lunatics around these boards who hate Marner for negotiating a new contract in the offseason, as if that's somehow a terrible thing.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
He's not going to get booed. Nylander didn't even get booed I don't think.

The Leafs home game crowd is generally pretty respectful. It's not full of the lunatics around these boards who hate Marner for negotiating a new contract in the offseason, as if that's somehow a terrible thing.

Kessel likes waffles though.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
People on HF severely underrate Auston Matthews because he's been injured both these past two seasons. But for someone that plays with a 60 point Nylander and pretty much all 40 points and below wingers him putting up 45 goal pace and over PPG over the past 2 seasons is absolutely absurd.

I'm willing to bet this account that if Auston has a full season, he will absolutely **** all over the league. This kid has McDavid level abilities without an outstanding talent like McDavid's speed. All he needs is good health and one god damned good player to play with. Willy can be that player but our coach needs to figure things out. Auston is absolutely capable of averaging 50 goals and 100+ points every year.

No bet.

Matthews is somewhere between McDavid and eichel.

McDavid contract at 16.67% with the cap when matthews signed is 13.8 mil.
Eichel contract at 13.33% with cap when matthews signed is 11.06 mil.
There were reports Matthew's wanted an 8 year deal around 13 aav. 15.66%. They dropped years to save cap space.

He came in right between them. Which is where he belongs. Imo closer to McDavid then Eichel.

I don't think it was ever going to be 11.6 x 8

It's gonna come down to this - can Matthews stay healthy? If yes then nobody's gonna be talking about him being overpaid a couple of years from now. If no, then we'll be having the same tired posts about how Marner is better than Matthews and Dubas is a moron.

Stay healthy please!!

horner

May 22, 2007
His comparable is as close to Keller as Matthews
Did you watch the Leafs games last year wow.
Man I really don't know what people see when they watch.
45 more points difference than Keller sounds about right.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
No bet.

It's gonna come down to this - can Matthews stay healthy? If yes then nobody's gonna be talking about him being overpaid a couple of years from now. If no, then we'll be having the same tired posts about how Marner is better than Matthews and Dubas is a moron.

Stay healthy please!!

IMO he will be healthy.

You see it with a lot of young guys that learn to take slightly different paths toward the puck.

Plus, Matthews injuries have been mostly one offs and bad luck.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Poor kid, it would suck hearing a few boos and being a greedy multi-millionaire at 22 years old playing a fun game for a living

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Only if a few of the deep thinkers here have tickets to the Opener, it's doubtful they do.

Reactions: Havoc

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Lets admit the JT signing was the biggest mistake for this organization, not that he is a bad player, but a a good fit at the right time. Thats why we are here in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad