Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - 1 week to camp ... nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Only if a few of the deep thinkers here have tickets to the Opener, it's doubtful they do.

1704050871_4611440379001_4611403601001-vs.jpg

How Hfboards posters watch games.

Reactions: taurine330

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It feels like a 3 year deal anywhere between 8M and 9.5M will be done before the season starts.

I've been saying for awhile a 3 year deal is pretty good for a lot of reasons.

Just that it gets him playing not that 9.5m is at all reasonable. Even at 8 you're just getting into the reasonable territory. Should be more like 7m x3 but whatever.

Reactions: ULF_55

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Just that it gets him playing not that 9.5m is at all reasonable. Even at 8 you're just getting into the reasonable territory. Should be more like 7m x3 but whatever.
I do not disagree. Just reading the stuff out there and it sounds like it could get that high.

3 years at 8M seems adequate overall.

Reactions: thewave

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I do not disagree. Just reading the stuff out there and it sounds like it could get that high.

3 years at 8M seems adequate overall.

By adequate I would say... A really nice deal for MM that gives him many options in year 4.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Lets admit the JT signing was the biggest mistake for this organization, not that he is a bad player, but a a good fit at the right time. Thats why we are here in this situation.

It is a luxury that has messed up the cap situation, although I wouldn’t put it in the top 10 of the biggest mistakes the Leafs have made. Assuming it is a mistake.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
And then they trade him in the last year? Don;t think they'd want to go down this road again.....
Then again, if there's no winning in 3 years, there will be sweeping changes anyway

Maybe? 3 years is a lot of time. So many things will change by then. Maybe you look at retooling, maybe we've won some cups by then. Maybe we need to blow it up. Maybe Matthews needs to be traded. Maybe you can re-sign Marner to a long-term deal around the same number. Maybe Tavares is on LTIR.

The good news is that he would be a RFA.

Reactions: SAMCRO44 and ULF_55

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
And then they trade him in the last year? Don;t think they'd want to go down this road again.....
Then again, if there's no winning in 3 years, there will be sweeping changes anyway

I agree, we may as well go all in for the next 3 years regardless. We are positioned to do that.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It feels like a 3 year deal anywhere between 8M and 9.5M will be done before the season starts.

Realistically, a 3 year deal should be less than Aho's deal, but that is unlikely.

Be nice to the top 3 offensive players each driving a line.

Some signings this week, and that should continue and perhaps build momentum.

Of course all of this could be meaningless if they decide they want a new deal and next year there's another work stoppage and they change rules and decrease or increase time to UFA status.

Last edited:
Reactions: SprDaVE

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It is a luxury that has messed up the cap situation, although I wouldn’t put it in the top 10 of the biggest mistakes the Leafs have made. Assuming it is a mistake.

JT is not a mistake. Overpaying RFAs because you got a top tier UFA to come here for less than market would have paid is the mistake. The Matthews contract is a pretty noose.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Three yrs? Wow. I have no confidence Freddy Andersen will ever win.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Did you mean 8.5 instead of 9.5 mil ?

Because using Aho $8.45 X 5 mil OS as a guide wire then a 3 year bridge should be less < than $8.5 mil and closer to the $8 mil ceiling. IMO

Paying Mitch 3 X RFA years at $9.5 mil compared to 8 X UFA years for Kucherov at $9.5 mil is market shaping for all future RFA players.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Did you mean 8.5 instead of 9.5 mil ?

Because using Aho $8.45 X 5 mil OS as a guide wire then a 3 year bridge should be less < than $8.5 mil and closer to the $8 mil ceiling. IMO

Paying Mitch 3 X RFA years at $9.5 mil compared to 8 X UFA years for Kucherov at $9.5 mil is market shaping for all future RFA players.

Reports recently said there were talks of a 3 x 9.5M discussed. Seems incredibly high for that term but figured... you never know?

It should be closer to 8M on a 3 year deal though, I agree.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Reports recently said there were talks of a 3 x 9.5M discussed. Seems incredibly high for that term but figured... you never know?

It should be closer to 8M on a 3 year deal though, I agree.

8M on 3 years would be an absolute steal for potentially a 100 point player.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I know a 3 year deal is far from the best outcome, but at this point I would take it just so we can have Marner from the start of the year and see this together for at least next 3 years.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I know a 3 year deal is far from the best outcome, but at this point I would take it just so we can have Marner from the start of the year and see this together for at least next 3 years.

Does Dubas offer 3x8 and does Mitch accept it ?? At this point, get it done and kick the can down the road. Somebody potentially needs to eventually go in order to sign our dmen anyway.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
8M on 3 years would be an absolute steal for potentially a 100 point player.

That's probably why the 'Canes thanked the Canadiens for the offersheet on Aho.
30 goal scoring center on a less offensive team on a 5 year term for 8.454mm.

Habs made it so easy to match LOL. Maybe it was just for league wide entertainment and to show there's no collusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad