Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - 1 week to camp ... nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I'd have thought that with the cap jump that McDavid's deal would have been pretty close considering he's nowhere near as good a player, I think I'm being a bit generous but I'm a nice guy

Unfortunately we were within 1M on AAV and got 3 less UFA years, that would be your evidence right there

Being liked is for boring people :sarcasm:
I like you. :D

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Reports recently said there were talks of a 3 x 9.5M discussed. Seems incredibly high for that term but figured... you never know?

It should be closer to 8M on a 3 year deal though, I agree.

Even at $9.5 mil X 5 years it would be +$1 mil/year higher than Aho's inflationary offersheet price.

Darren Ferris is very clever to be floating that $9.5 X 3 mil rumour to the media to report, as he remains anonymous. :wg:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
JT is not a mistake. Overpaying RFAs because you got a top tier UFA to come here for less than market would have paid is the mistake. The Matthews contract is a pretty noose.

People were saying that the Nylander contract was an overpayment when it was signed. Today, not so much.

People were saying that the Drasaitl contract was an overpayment when it was signed. Today, not so much.

The Matthews contract might look like a bargain a year from now so you might want to cool it with the histrionics. Not just you mind you, there's a bunch of you that should just take a pill or something.

Hopefully Marner is signed soon and we can put all this nonsense behind us. This roster is stacked and if we can stay healthy, we're gonna be tough to beat. This just might be the year ...

:yo:

Last edited:

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Just because it was an offersheet doesn't mean it was inflationary, everyone was shocked at how low it was

Maybe Aho's team wanted exactly that contract (Mtl offer sheet) and Canes wouldn't budge on 8 years.

Smart by Aho's agent to get an offer sheet to get the term they prefer.

Canes had no choice but to match, and on the off chance that for some reason the Canes would not match (because their owner is a bit of a wild card) Montreal steals a player for very little compensation.

Edit: Noone knows the behind the scenes stuff, which might just explain the entire thing.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
all the GMs need to be on the same page here

let ALL of these selfish entitled un-signed players sit out all season and lose not only a year's salary but also their worth for whenever they sign a year from now

should have done it with Nylander

could you imagine, Nylander looking for a job today after sitting out the last year?? He'd be lucky to get 4 mil

it's the only way teach these out-of-touch kids a lesson.

let them ALL sit out the entire year and then see how much they get a year from now - it sure as heck won't be what they're worth right now

I have this sneaking suspicion this is what's going to happen anyways
I don't think it'll happen but I suspect the owners will not extend the collective agreement and that there will be a lockout. Again.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
That's pointless. You're no further ahead and you just wasted a season.

They should trade him to a lottery team if he doesn't sign by Oct 15th.
Nope. No different than a child wanting to get his way, would you just pass him on to someone who would give it to him? I guess some people would. The old go ask your mom lol.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Maybe Aho's team wanted exactly that contract (Mtl offer sheet) and Canes wouldn't budge on 8 years.

Smart by Aho's agent to get an offer sheet to get the term they prefer.

Canes had no choice but to match, and on the off chance that for some reason the Canes would not match (because their owner is a bit of a wild card) Montreal steals a player for very little compensation.

Edit: Noone knows the behind the scenes stuff, which might just explain the entire thing.

All valid.

But Mess was trying to imply that for no other reason than it being an Offer Sheet that it was higher than market value and that Aho was actually worth less, therefore implying a wider gap with the proposed Marner contract.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Even at $9.5 mil X 5 years it would be +$1 mil/year higher than Aho's inflationary offersheet price.

Darren Ferris is very clever to be floating that $9.5 X 3 mil rumour to the media to report, as he remains anonymous. :wg:

It was floated by Gord Miller

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't think it'll happen but I suspect the owners will not extend the collective agreement and that there will be a lockout. Again.
They’ve already said they would extend, now it’s up to the players to announce their intentions by Sep 12 th, I think is the date.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

Owners already decided not to terminate the current CBA (current CBA will run until 2022 if players also decide not to terminate).

We will know by Sept 15 if the players decide to terminate.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Nope. No different than a child wanting to get his way, would you just pass him on to someone who would give it to him? I guess some people would. The old go ask your mom lol.
So you think they are children and not professionals. That explains your naivety

Reactions: ACC1224

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
All valid.

But Mess was trying to imply that for no other reason than it being an Offer Sheet that it was higher than market value and that Aho was actually worth less, therefore implying a wider gap with the proposed Marner contract.

Oh ic. Didn't realize that it was a 2 pronged "Marner should get less" statement, I thought he just meant, since the proposed Marner contract was 3 years vs 5 years.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'd have thought that with the cap jump that McDavid's deal would have been pretty close considering he's nowhere near as good a player, I think I'm being a bit generous but I'm a nice guy

Unfortunately we were within 1M on AAV and got 3 less UFA years, that would be your evidence right there

If you think 12.5 x 8 is fair than it's hard to justify thinking that 11.634 is more than 634k too much per year, which for a player of that calibre is not worth the stress

12.5 x 8 -> 12 x 7 = 8th year worth 16
12 x 7 -> 11.5 x 6 = 7th year worth 15
11.5x6 -> 11 x 5 = 6th year worth 14

The lower the expectation you place on the 5 year deal the higher you value years 5-8, the more you're bitching about a player making about 80% of his worth based on his value on the next deal.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Just because it was an offersheet doesn't mean it was inflationary, everyone was shocked at how low it was

Every offersheet attempt to steal is designed so the original team will not match and you get the player so its an overpayment by design. The goal of any successful offersheet is not so the original team gets their own player a fair market value, while you waste your time helping other teams get their players under contract for them. :)

Carolina his own team certainly wasn't willing to give Aho that, but matching was better than the comp picks, so their hand was forced to accept the contract another teams GM signed your player to.

If this were an arbitration case for Marner he couldn't even use Aho OS total as his comparable as the CBA even states that directly as inadmissible, because of the understood inflationary nature of that process of that other CBA tool usage.

If Aho and Marner are seen as close comparables despite Seabass being a centre which are valued higher than a winger. Then Leafs paying their own player willingly more than another teams offersheet attempt to steal amount by intentionally bidding up an opponents contract, that would be the definition of an overpayment.

One of the major deterrents of an offersheet usage is the future fear of retaliation.. Not much fear if defending one gets your player signed at fair prices by matching it. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: NiftyMits

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
1704050871_4611440379001_4611403601001-vs.jpg

How Hfboards posters watch games.
The Hfguy is turning his head away from the game. Dont even need the eye test, he can sence how they are playing.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Every offersheet attempt to steal is designed so the original team will not match and you get the player so its an overpayment by design.

And this one got mocked mercilessly as a futile miscalculation that stood no chance of being successful. They bet on bullying with the bonus structure instead of the av and bet wrong.

Offersheets are also not fully representative of what teams would be willing to pay because of the compensation added.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
If it’s 3 years, he better hope he doesn’t get rocked by some guy. I don’t get why players don’t go for security.

Agreed.

But he is being told by an agent that he can maximize his earning potential, by not taking long term contract (All IMO). To an agent, if an injury happens, they move onto the next client.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Lets admit the JT signing was the biggest mistake for this organization, not that he is a bad player, but a a good fit at the right time. Thats why we are here in this situation.
Yes, signing a 27 year old 80 point player without giving up an asset was a poor choice.

Let that play through your head and realize how dumb it sounds...

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Owners already decided not to terminate the current CBA (current CBA will run until 2022 if players also decide not to terminate).

We will know by Sept 15 if the players decide to terminate.

Sounds like the players are less happy than the owners, but that doesn't mean a renegotiated deal would be better for marner.

Owners lose on escrow and players lose on when they become UFA?
Owners gain more control and players gain more cash.

If RFA's are getting UFA money, maybe that's something they can live with?

a 3 year deal might not end up being 1 year from UFA status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad