Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - 1 week to camp ... nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think it’s going to take a few years before any of us can really judge either contract to be “good or bad”.

I imagine a lot of the opinions between the two contracts are signing a RFA to max term a year before their ELC expires vs losing a third of a season (which felt like even more with Nylanders slow start).

Personally I don’t view the Nylander contract as “bad”. I do think it was bad that it took a third of a missed season to arrive at that deal though. I don’t necessarily blame the Leafs for that situation because it takes two to tango, and I’m very familiar with the standoff. Still fair to ask if the team could have handled the Nylander situation better.

Yep. This. Although knowing Matthews took 5. I wish we gave Nylander 5 as well to stagger

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
We're paying Matthews based on he would be gone with an offer sheet if we didn't lol.

Marner deserves not a dollar over 10, but his annoying Dad will get him slightly more, all the while tarnishing the family's reputation. Hopefully Mitch can regain it.

Why are we the only team that has to overpay in fear of these offer sheets? Lol

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011

In my opinion, it's because we have a guy like Matthews. I think he will be the second best player in the league for a long time. I think other teams know this, and alot would be hunting him. It's just the fact that our guy is better that we have to protect our asset.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
IMO it should have been 11.634 x 8. Don't think too many would complain. Maybe 10 x 5? Tavares earned his contract, we're paying Matthews based on potential which is risky.

Plus as Kiwi stated, management set a precedent paying Matthews more than Tavares so now Marner wants the same. Dominoes lol.

Auston Matthews 3 seasons:

40 goals 82 games
34 goals 62 games
37 goals 68 games

Total 111 goals 205 points in 212 games FOR HIS ELC

82 game pace: 43 goals 79 points (Last 2 seasons: 82 games 45 goals 86 points)

John Tavares ELC and top 3 seasons prior before UFA:

ELC -
24 goals in 82 games
29 goals in 79 games
31 goals in 82 games

Total 82 goals 202 points in 243 games FOR HIS ELC

82 game pace: 28 goals 68 points

Top 3 seasons -
38 goals in 82 games (age 24)
37 goals in 82 games (age 27)
33 goals in 78 games (age 25)

Total 108 goals 240 points in 242 games

82 game pace: 37 goals 81 points

As you can clearly see. AUSTON SHITS ON JT not only on his ELC but in his top 3 career seasons as an Islander. And JT played with players a hell of a lot more talented than what Auston has had to work with.

People on HF severely underrate Auston Matthews because he's been injured both these past two seasons. But for someone that plays with a 60 point Nylander and pretty much all 40 points and below wingers him putting up 45 goal pace and over PPG over the past 2 seasons is absolutely absurd.

I'm willing to bet this account that if Auston has a full season, he will absolutely shit all over the league. This kid has McDavid level abilities without an outstanding talent like McDavid's speed. All he needs is good health and one god damned good player to play with. Willy can be that player but our coach needs to figure things out. Auston is absolutely capable of averaging 50 goals and 100+ points every year.

Last edited:

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
IMO it should have been 11.634 x 8. Don't think too many would complain. Maybe 10 x 5? Tavares earned his contract, we're paying Matthews based on potential which is risky.

Plus as Kiwi stated, management set a precedent paying Matthews more than Tavares so now Marner wants the same. Dominoes lol.

Matthews is somewhere between McDavid and eichel.

McDavid contract at 16.67% with the cap when matthews signed is 13.8 mil.

Eichel contract at 13.33% with cap when matthews signed is 11.06 mil.

There were reports Matthew's wanted an 8 year deal around 13 aav. 15.66%. They dropped years to save cap space.

He came in right between them. Which is where he belongs. Imo closer to McDavid then Eichel.

I don't think it was ever going to be 11.6 x 8

Reactions: ZippityDooDa and kb

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018

40 goals 82 games
34 goals 62 games
37 goals 68 games

82 game pace: 43 goals 79 points

ELC -
24 goals in 82 games
29 goals in 79 games
31 goals in 82 games

Top 3 seasons -

As you can clearly see. AUSTON ****S ON JT not only on his ELC but in his top 3 career seasons as an Islander. And JT played with players a hell of a lot more talented than what Auston has had to work with.

I understand he should be paid more than JT but it's coming at the cost of screwing up the balance of our cap structure.

It's already done and I'm sure he'll more than live up to it. A bit risky, it's affecting Marner's contract and things will be tight but we've sure got an exciting team for the next while.

They better start playing with a chip on their shoulder and be foaming at the mouth like rabid dogs come playoff time because a lot is riding on the next few years.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Were AMs and CMs contracts signed at the same time and with the same cap?

No. The equivalent for AM would have been 13.8 million on the then rumoured $83 million dollar cap.

Keep digging,

You seem to have a reading comprehension problem

If you had of read and understood what I wrote you would have seen that my reasoning was that since Matthews is an inferior player to McDavid (by a distance) that would easily cover the cap increase by the time Matthews signed so he should have been around McDavid's AAV with 8 years attached to it

It doesn't seem that complicated, instead we gave him a similar AAV with 3 less UFA years :laugh: but sure Dubas is great

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Context also matters man. Keller has no one to play with him on that team; yotes were smart enough to lock him for 8 years before Kessel effect shows up on his stats.

Yotes did not finish that far from the playoff spot last season either. 8 year term gives a lot of flexibility to the yotes assuming they are able to spend money.

marner and matthews should have been done last summer. they could have given both marner and nylander identical contracts for 8AAV for 8 years and get the deal done.

I am just so effing pissed with the lack of foresight and the stupidity from the leafs front office especially dubas

Yeah, I think this contract looks well and Chyka did well in this deal. I think people just see the 40 whatever pts last year but smart on him. 1-2 years and the deal looks amazing.

I don't think we've had any deals like that besides Andersen, Rielly or Kadri.

None of Matthews, Nylander, Tavares or whatever Marner signs for will be a steal.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
His current contract at an 8 year term would make him the highest paid. (Not trying to be negative)

Also, I think the Nylander contract is fine, just a shame with how it had to go down.

That's what I don't understand though. How can any of us know what his contract would be on 8 years ?

Even at the reported 13 mil. It's a lower percentage contract than McDavid.

Hard to just look at cap hit because the limit goes up every year. Percentage is the better comparison to use.

Malkin for example cap hit is 9.5 (14.77%) but percentage makes it comparable to 12.0 (today's cap).

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I understand he should be paid more than JT but it's coming at the cost of screwing up the balance of our cap structure.

It's already done and I'm sure he'll more than live up to it. A bit risky, it's affecting Marner's contract and things will be tight but we've sure got an exciting team for the next while.

They better start playing with a chip on their shoulder and be foaming at the mouth like rabid dogs come playoff time because a lot is riding on the next few years.

The way I see things. We have an absolute elite 21 year old MONSTER center who has brought us 3 straight years of playoffs and tons of entertainment. We have a local boy die hard Leafs fan who is only 22 and coming off the first 90 point season in a very long time and only getting better. We have a consistent top 15 player over the past 5 seasons in JT anchoring our second line and providing fantastic leadership to the young boys. We have a swedish pretty boy who up until 3 seasons ago was the most exciting prospect I've seen as a Leafs fan in over 20 years. He put up PPG seasons in the swedish and american leagues. We have a stud dman who put up the first 70 point season in ages who is only 25 and getting better. Potential Captain material as well. AND WE HAVE A GOALIE (PERIOD).

As long as we can keep these guys together the rest is all replacement level talent that we should be able to maintain as long as we draft well and develop the players. Both things we have heavily invested into and have been seeing great dividends already.

We also have very very good 2nd tier talent prospects in guys like AJ, KK, Lilly, Sandin, Bracco, Woll/ Scott.

I DON'T REMEMBER BEING THIS OPTIMISTIC OR EXCITED IN FOR EVER. Even in the early 2000s we had great teams but all over the hill players and it always felt like we needed things to go right for us to get deep into the playoffs. Thankfully we owned the Sens (much like how the Bruins own us right now). Our players are growing. They are very young and gaining experience each and every season. Failure is bound to happen. That's how they will learn to win.

What pisses me off is paying a stupid contract for guys like Clarkson/ Lucic etc. Not paying high end top talents in the league like Marner/ Matthews/ JT. Those guys are the ones who DESERVE the payday because they are what will make us or break us.

Reactions: ZippityDooDa

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
The way I see things. We have an absolute elite 21 year old MONSTER center who has brought us 3 straight years of playoffs and tons of entertainment. We have a local boy die hard Leafs fan who is only 22 and coming off the first 90 point season in a very long time and only getting better. We have a consistent top 15 player over the past 5 seasons in JT anchoring our second line and providing fantastic leadership to the young boys. We have a swedish pretty boy who up until 3 seasons ago was the most exciting prospect I've seen as a Leafs fan in over 20 years. He put up PPG seasons in the swedish and american leagues. We have a stud dman who put up the first 70 point season in ages who is only 25 and getting better. Potential Captain material as well. AND WE HAVE A GOALIE (PERIOD).

As long as we can keep these guys together the rest is all replacement level talent that we should be able to maintain as long as we draft well and develop the players. Both things we have heavily invested into and have been seeing great dividends already.

We also have very very good 2nd tier talent prospects in guys like AJ, KK, Lilly, Sandin, Bracco, Woll/ Scott.

I DON'T REMEMBER BEING THIS OPTIMISTIC OR EXCITED IN FOR EVER. Even in the early 2000s we had great teams but all over the hill players and it always felt like we needed things to go right for us to get deep into the playoffs. Thankfully we owned the Sens (much like how the Bruins own us right now). Our players are growing. They are very young and gaining experience each and every season. Failure is bound to happen. That's how they will learn to win.

What pisses me off is paying a stupid contract for guys like Clarkson/ Lucic etc. Not paying high end top talents in the league like Marner/ Matthews/ JT. Those guys are the ones who DESERVE the payday because they are what will make us or break us.

Some of us analyze these things because we're worried "that good thing we have going" is going to be squandered. I agree, things have never been brighter, we just hope to god we finally get something out of it. At the end of the day it's going to go how it goes and I'm sure we'll all enjoy the ride whichever destination it arrives at.

But I digress, lets win that f*cking cup and stomp on the Bruins as much as we can in the process :nod:

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
That's what I don't understand though. How can any of us know what his contract would be on 8 years ?

Even at the reported 13 mil. It's a lower percentage contract than McDavid.

Hard to just look at cap hit because the limit goes up every year. Percentage is the better comparison to use.

Malkin for example cap hit is 9.5 (14.77%) but percentage makes it comparable to 12.0 (today's cap).

I thinks it's a bit too close to McDavids but I really don't care as long as we can fit everyone in.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Some of us analyze these things because we're worried "that good thing we have going" is going to be squandered. I agree, things have never been brighter, we just hope to god we finally get something out of it. At the end of the day it's going to go how it goes and I'm sure we'll all enjoy the ride whichever destination it arrives at.

But I digress, lets win that f*cking cup and stomp on the Bruins as much as we can in the process :nod:

I want to win as bad as any Leafs fan here but honestly, one thing I've learned is if you get caught up so much on the final result you miss out on living and enjoying the moment/ process that may/ may not get you that ship.

With that said, I will thoroughly enjoy the day we curb stomp the Bruins and I will cry like an absolute baby when we win the cup. One thing I can say with confidence is that this is the most hopeful I've ever been as a Leafs fan. And it's been organic hope. I love what we have going on with the big club. I love what we have going on with the Marlies. I love what we have going on with the Raptors and TFC. Honestly, we have had it so f***ing bad for so many years. Let's just kick back and have some fun.

One thing that gives me so much confident in the Leafs and this team and their legitimacy is the amount of pure hate we're getting from other fanbases. We're not the laughing stock of the league. We are the new standard. Everyone wants us to fall and everyone hates our players so much so that they are rallying behind players of pretty much any other team on every poll on this site.

All I want from this year is a clutch Andy in the playoffs. No more game 7 demons and we are going to go deep. I don't care if we win or not (not completely true) as long as we put in an honest effort. I felt cheated by Babcock last year.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I thinks it's a bit too close to McDavids but I really don't care as long as we can fit everyone in.

McDavid took a discount of about 1-1.5 million. He even said so that he left money on the table so the Oilers can pursue supporting players. Oilers proceeded to piss it away on Lucic. Matthews gets so much hate because he took a deal that is FAIR. No, he didn't do us any favors on the contract. But he didn't exactly bend us over either. Mitch IMO is trying to bend us over and I think that's why the team is taking a harsher stance on him. With that said, all of this could be smoke and mirrors because Ferris is a f***ing idiot of a agent and does the same god damn shit with all of his players only to settle for a very underwhelming bridge. I honestly would be less surprised if Mitch ended up taking 6-7 million for a couple of years on a bridge instead of breaking that 9-10 million dollar figure. He's a hell of a player but on par with every contract given to wingers (RFA/UFA) he shouldn't be getting a dime over 9 (at most 9.5) million on a long term deal.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

40 goals 82 games
34 goals 62 games
37 goals 68 games

82 game pace: 43 goals 79 points (Last 2 seasons: 82 games 45 goals 86 points)

ELC -
24 goals in 82 games
29 goals in 79 games
31 goals in 82 games

Top 3 seasons -

As you can clearly see. AUSTON ****S ON JT not only on his ELC but in his top 3 career seasons as an Islander. And JT played with players a hell of a lot more talented than what Auston has had to work with.

People on HF severely underrate Auston Matthews because he's been injured both these past two seasons. But for someone that plays with a 60 point Nylander and pretty much all 40 points and below wingers him putting up 45 goal pace and over PPG over the past 2 seasons is absolutely absurd.

I'm willing to bet this account that if Auston has a full season, he will absolutely **** all over the league. This kid has McDavid level abilities without an outstanding talent like McDavid's speed. All he needs is good health and one god damned good player to play with. Willy can be that player but our coach needs to figure things out. Auston is absolutely capable of averaging 50 goals and 100+ points every year.

That part is just not true at all.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
That part is just not true at all.
Okposo, Bailey, Vanek, Lee, Moulson, PAP. All have had much better seasons (playing with JT) than anything Willy has done thus far. Brown/ Kappy/ AJ/ Marleau/ Hyman don't really come anywhere near.

Moulson with JT: Best 2 years 36 goals 69 points in 82 and 15 goals 44 points in 47 games.
Bailey with JT: 18 goals 71 points in 76 games.
Lee: 40 goals 62 points in 82 games.
Okposo: 27 goals 69 points in 71 games and 22 goals 64 points in 79 games.
Vanek: 17 goals 44 points in 47 games.
PAP: 18 goals 67 points in 80 games.

Willy: 21 goals 61 points in 81 games and 20 goals 61 points in 82 games.

Feel free to do your own research though.

JT is a very good player and he 100% makes players around him much better. It's not a coincidence that players have career years playing with him. Auston Matthews might not have that same attribute BUT what he does have similar to guys like Crosby is the ability to play with mediocre talent (with high compete level) and decently skilled players and turning that trio into a legitimate top flight line in the league. Crosby for years played with guys like Dupuis and Kunitz and he didn't skip a beat when putting up monster numbers himself (granted his PP numbers were off the charts good, something that Matty doesn't have which IMO makes what he's doing even more impressive).

Two completely different types of players. Both are elite goal scorers. Willy has great chemistry with Auston and I feel like he has more than enough high end talent to become a PPG threat himself which IMO will elevate Auston to a whole different level.

Last edited:

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Because it’s just a lame excuse made for a rookie gm that was horrible at his job.

Quite literally NO other team overpays their star players under the argument of (lol) “well... they might be offer sheeted if we don’t.”

Reactions: hotpaws

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
all the GMs need to be on the same page here

let ALL of these selfish entitled un-signed players sit out all season and lose not only a year's salary but also their worth for whenever they sign a year from now

should have done it with Nylander

could you imagine, Nylander looking for a job today after sitting out the last year?? He'd be lucky to get 4 mil

it's the only way teach these out-of-touch kids a lesson.

let them ALL sit out the entire year and then see how much they get a year from now - it sure as heck won't be what they're worth right now

I have this sneaking suspicion this is what's going to happen anyways

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
12m x 4 years is probably what will happen.

As Gandhi said, the cap has enough money for everyone's need but not enough for one man's greed.

Reactions: biotk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad