Tribute Marner Appreciation Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't think he was realisticly in the Conn Smythe running myself either but this whole hyperbole on game 3 being the biggest game of the year is bollocks . Aside from that , he didn't play well but didn't cost us the game either . We lost the series because we can't win on home ice . Losing 1st 2 games , at home was it.
The Leafs probably should of won at least game 2 but a few errors killed them. 1 by Lilly , 1 by Nylander and one by Marner . Marner also had a great 1st period and had a filthy assist on the pp.
Game 1 was pretty even in my mind and more we didn't capitilize on some chances and Florida did other than the Brodie cough up at the blue line which was a back breaker.
Disagree. You lose that game and the season is as good as over. Tell me, which game would you say was more important than that one?

I never said Marner "cost us the game", that's nothing more than a useless straw man argument. Lots of blame to go around but he's supposed to be one of our top 2 players, people say he's the "engine" of the team, that was perhaps the worst game of his career as many have said so he gets a big chunk of the blame, bigger than any other of our players IMO.

That was a game where you "leave it all out there" as the saying goes but Marner left it in the locker room and didn't even show up to play.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think out of the big 4, it makes sense for Marner to be the one traded. Sucks because I think he ends up in a less intense market and thrives.
He'll thrive in the regular season, but he does that here too. Whether he ever thrives in the biggest games of the year in the playoffs, that's not clear at all but so far, there's reason to be skeptical.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
The raw point production is great. I can see why people love him but he's the one to go:
- He is in his own head at a very harmful level. Any other team will be better for him to reduce his stress. The pressure is clearly getting to him.
- 10G in 50 playoff games is not good enough given his time on ice and opportunity. He is a favourite due to great stats, yet the elimination game stats are not pretty. 1 Powerplay goal in 50 games
- 11M per year for 30 goals is not good enough.
- I don't have it in me to hear about his next contract

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Marner has been the overall better and more important piece to the Leafs than Matthews for pretty much their entire tenure here, but every single year it’s the same story where Marner takes all of the flak and everyone clamours for him to be thrown on the chopping block after he “underperforms” but is still one of the best Leafs in the playoffs. It’s like clockwork and it makes these team boards somehow even more unreadable than usual. The only explanation that registers for me is that a large proportion of the community have already prostrated themselves before Matthews to such an embarrassing degree in discussions with fans of other teams and comparisons with other players (namely McDavid) that they are fully incapable of rational thought even when confronted with painfully evident reality.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Marner has been the overall better and more important piece to the Leafs than Matthews for pretty much their entire tenure here, but every single year it’s the same story where Marner takes all of the flak and everyone clamours for him to be thrown on the chopping block after he “underperforms” but is still one of the best Leafs in the playoffs. It’s like clockwork and it makes these team boards somehow even more unreadable than usual. The only explanation that registers for me is that a large proportion of the community have already prostrated themselves before Matthews to such an embarrassing degree in discussions with fans of other teams and comparisons with other players (namely McDavid) that they are fully incapable of rational thought even when confronted with painfully evident reality.
Yeah, Hart Trophy means nothing.

Reactions: WillNy29

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

It's strange to me that anyone could watch the playoffs and come away thinking Marner is better. Matthews is even better playing hurt (except the last 3 games against Florida because he took a puck to the hand in game 3) so it's a no brainer really

Reactions: WillNy29

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I stay off this place for the exact same reason. Marner was our best forward in the playoffs and he takes all the heat.

The thread on Rielly was the worse takes I have ever seen on here and that is saying something. He was banged up all regular season and the playoffs. The only difference is that in the playoffs like always he puts it all on the line. Taking huge hits to make plays an attacking the other team when opportunities present them selves. People on here calling him a bottom pair D man or a winger.
He was our biggest plus D man as well as a beast offensively.

It's strange to me that anyone could watch the playoffs and come away thinking Marner is better. Matthews is even better playing hurt (except the last 3 games against Florida because he took a puck to the hand in game 3) so it's a no brainer really
Lol.
Marner is and has been our best player..

Lol.

Yeah, Hart Trophy means nothing.
Marner had how many primary assist?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There are positives and negatives for every player. Whenever you post about Marner, you're always praising the good stuff but not once, have I ever seen you acknowledge any negatives.

In game 3 against Florida, arguably our biggest game of the season, Marner looked to me like a scared rookie playing in his 1st NHL game and was arguably the worst player on the ice. I've praised his play over the last two seasons and sure that was just one game but as I said, to me it was such an important game that I lost a lot of faith in him that night.

I challenge you to give your honest opinion on how Marner played in that game. No deflecting, just answer honestly that one simple question.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I'm actually thinking I will go back and watch game 3 again, now that everything's wrapped up and over.

Opinions are so widespread on that game, and it did end in overtime (where we were horrible) it's not like we got blown out 6-2. That being said, I didn't feel we played urgently in the series at all, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but I don't think the core, or Marner "faded" as much as they were shut down by a team getting away with obstruction and playing out of their minds.

Anyway, I'll watch it again and see how I feel.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
The raw point production is great. I can see why people love him but he's the one to go:
- He is in his own head at a very harmful level. Any other team will be better for him to reduce his stress. The pressure is clearly getting to him.
- 10G in 50 playoff games is not good enough given his time on ice and opportunity. He is a favourite due to great stats, yet the elimination game stats are not pretty. 1 Powerplay goal in 50 games
- 11M per year for 30 goals is not good enough.
- I don't have it in me to hear about his next contract
Totally agree. I’d try and sign matthews and nyalnder, but if either don’t want to then trade. Marner is the guy I would trade. But it won’t be easy, he’s owed a 7.25 mil cash bonus July 1 when his NMC kicks in. Even though his salary is low, a lot of teams/owners don’t give out 7 mil cash bonuses in the dead heat of summer when there is no revenue. Dubas screwed this organization over with these contracts and bolted when he didn’t want to,deal,with the aftermath. And yet their was an ownership,group who couldn’t wait to offer him a gm position, sometimes life doesnt make sense.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I stay off this place for the exact same reason. Marner was our best forward in the playoffs and he takes all the heat.

The thread on Rielly was the worse takes I have ever seen on here and that is saying something. He was banged up all regular season and the playoffs. The only difference is that in the playoffs like always he puts it all on the line. Taking huge hits to make plays an attacking the other team when opportunities present them selves. People on here calling him a bottom pair D man or a winger.

Lol.

Lol.

I agree with you about Rielly but Marner was pretty disappointing after the first 4 games. He had 4 points in his last 7 games and was giving the puck away pretty carelessly.

I'm actually thinking I will go back and watch game 3 again, now that everything's wrapped up and over.

Opinions are so widespread on that game, and it did end in overtime (where we were horrible) it's not like we got blown out 6-2. That being said, I didn't feel we played urgently in the series at all, so I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but I don't think the core, or Marner "faded" as much as they were shut down by a team getting away with obstruction and playing out of their minds.

Anyway, I'll watch it again and see how I feel.

Game 3 was our only bad game, though it was the worst time in the series for that to happen. Games 2 and 5 we were the better team but Bobrovsky overall is by far the main reason Florida won.

Reactions: thewave

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Year in and year out I see the same pattern emerging. A gangup by a few who shamelessly will select isolated incidents to justify their idiotic take that Marner is the cause of the leafs woes and then compliment his greater body of work around mid year when the lynch mob has dispersed. A few will even swear that they have always said that he is a great player.
He is the ultimate swiss army knife that has allowed Keefe to use the most idiotic strategies. He is on the ice all the time because he and only he can make shit work when others are failing.
Marner carried the team on his back to the playoffs this year. He hasnt been perfect but nobody is. His facilittion of shot generation is off the charts. He holds the puck into the ozone and moves the puck out of the dzone. A new gm and coach that holds others accountable through benching, trade or straight release instead of plugging Marner into the breech all the time should unlock his full offensive potential.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Lol.

Lol.

You are wasting your time. All the losses are apparently Marners fault. Against Florida, he got the only game winning goal all series but he didn't win that game for them.
That is the way it rolls for some who aren't worth responding to.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I don't think that anyone is trying to put our losses on Marner or any single player for that matter.

At the same time, we need to consider if he is our MT or our Huberdeau. The question was never is he a great player.

Player's impact/cap. You can't discuss a player without taking his cap hit into consideration.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I don't think that anyone is trying to put our losses on Marner or any single player for that matter.

At the same time, we need to consider if he is our MT or our Huberdeau. The question was never is he a great player.

Player's impact/cap. You can't discuss a player without taking his cap hit into consideration.
MT was Huberdeau, until Huberdeau became MT

Reactions: Arzak

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You are wasting your time. All the losses are apparently Marners fault. Against Florida, he got the only game winning goal all series but he didn't win that game for them.
Said nobody ever. You've made enough strawmen to fill Scotiabank Arena dude and it became hard to take you seriously a while ago.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
These playoffs were our final look at him before we either lose him for free or have to give him 12+ million on his next contract. Would've liked to see him with a different coach...because from what I've seen on the last 5 playoffs, he isn't worth more than 9 million long term. This stems back to Babs final playoff year too, where I believe Marner and Tavares were split up because they couldn't get anything going in the playoffs together (after a good season where they played nearly every minute together).

I think it's fair to cut him loose now, his value should be good, though I'm sure teams are starting to see the concerns with his playoff game. He's got 2 years left, so he's not a rental.

Nylander looked like our most dangerous forward vs Florida and he's the fastest skater on the team. Trade him, we get even more slower and less skilled.

Berger is throwing a rumor around that Carolina and Leafs are talking a Marner trade. It more than likely bull and for clicks... I don't see anything that we'd be interested in from Carolina. Howard just connecting the dots that the cash strapped Hurricanes might want Marner (whose real money is low)

Yall are crazy

Dec 11, 2022
There are positives and negatives for every player. Whenever you post about Marner, you're always praising the good stuff but not once, have I ever seen you acknowledge any negatives.

In game 3 against Florida, arguably our biggest game of the season, Marner looked to me like a scared rookie playing in his 1st NHL game and was arguably the worst player on the ice. I've praised his play over the last two seasons and sure that was just one game but as I said, to me it was such an important game that I lost a lot of faith in him that night.

I challenge you to give your honest opinion on how Marner played in that game. No deflecting, just answer honestly that one simple question.
Lol why when 50 are negatives and 1 is positive?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

It’s hard to see him having a fall off season like Huberdeau, he’ll always get his points.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
And you're wasting all our time by posting this. All losses allegedly being Marner's fault is a figment of your imagination. The blame seems to be going around surprinsgly evenly this go - around, I'm seeing a hell of a lot more trade Matthews takes than I am trade Marner takes.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marner had 3 goals these playoffs, all from 40+ feet (goalie screened). Two of those goals were the game 2 blowout. He only scored in two of the 11 playoff games. His shot average was actually 40'..... 40' from the net! His slot shots were reportedly 10% worse than the next leaf forward. Yes all the forwards. Basically our 11 million dollar winger is only managing to get shots from near the blueline and is no contest the worst player on the team for shots near the goalie. He actually scored more goals than expected, his expected goals was around 2.3. He's apparently an elite playmaker, but he could hardly skate anywhere with the puck and was coughing it up in the offensive zone.

How much more evidence does one need that this guy does not want to go into dirty areas or just doesn't have the skills to produce in the playoffs? This is 5 playoffs of bad play, and two coaches.

If we want someone who can take 40' shots, let's bring Cody Franson back and save ourselves 9+ million per year.

Marner has been a joke in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: fan87

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
While I think the Leafs are more likely to trade Marner than Matthews, I think they're more likely to regret it.

Marner has "the next Nikita Kucherov" written all over him.... an elite passer, with great puck control, who's shot and scoring ability seems to be consistently improving. Take him away from Matthews, where it's very often "get the puck to Matthews", and I think he flourishes. Now, whether he can do that under the pressure of playing in Toronto -- a different question.

Reactions: Lauro

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
While I think the Leafs are more likely to trade Marner than Matthews, I think they're more likely to regret it.

Marner has "the next Nikita Kucherov" written all over him.... an elite passer, with great puck control, who's shot and scoring ability seems to be consistently improving. Take him away from Matthews, where it's very often "get the puck to Matthews", and I think he flourishes. Now, whether he can do that under the pressure of playing in Toronto -- a different question.
Kucherov is very scrappy and will go the extra mile to get his hands dirty to win. Marner just doesn't have that DNA and he never will IMO.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Marner is not a kid any more, he's 26 and supposed to be in his prime...at 26, Kucherov had a 128 point season (and a 100 point season prior), and has scored 40 or more goals twice...he has also had seasons when he scored 39 goals in 80 games, 33 goals in 68 games, and 25 goals in 47 games...Kucherov has a wicked shot and a wicked one-timer...Marner has a relatively weak shot, and it's the main reason he has never reached 100 points in the NHL despite racking up all those assists.

Marner has scored 10 goals in 50 playoff games, while Kucherov has scored 53 in 142...that's 0.2 goal per game vs 0.37 goal per game.

That's just the offensive comparisons. Kucherov can also play a dirty and gritty game, and know when to push buttons on opposing players...winning at all costs is part of Kucherov's make-up...elements that are severely lacking in Marner's game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad