Tribute Marner Appreciation Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He needs a mental coach, I am serious.
Not producing is one thing but he was losing pucks on his stick.
It is not about heart, skill or will to win, after this series, he really needs help on the mental side of the game.
Naa it's only part of his problem, his biggest problem is his poor acceleration. Every playoffs he's getting caught from behind. Speed is probably the most important skill a player can have. Nylander doesn't seem to have much of a struggle transitioning from season to playoffs, but all the slower leafs do, but none more than Marner, who also is weak on the puck and has a poor shot.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It is not about heart, skill or will to win, after this series, he really needs help on the mental side of the game.
I think this has merit. He puts so much pressure on himself, Game 3 for instance it was a psychology thesis worthy study, who that guy was incredible, so afraid to do anything wrong he paralyzed himself and mentally was gone. He has to figure that one, the defensiveness in interviews an extension of something else, perhaps it’s too late here. These guys are damaged now, they’ve been through too much.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Same subject you and I have been on since he signed. You've been saying he's an excellent playoff player since day one, I've said he's a terrible playoff performer. As a leaf fan, in this case it sucks to be right.
But you're not right. About my past positions, about Marner, or about the subject we were discussing - which was actually regular season stats you had brought up.

Reactions: Yall are crazy

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think this has merit. He puts so much pressure on himself, Game 3 for instance it was a psychology thesis worthy study, who that guy was incredible, so afraid to do anything wrong he paralyzed himself and mentally was gone. He has to figure that one, the defensiveness in interviews an extension of something else, perhaps it’s too late here. These guys are damaged now, they’ve been through too much.
I agree esp with MM. Game 3 was horrible for him. He played better in Game 4 and last night, he was not as bad as Game 3 but he was timid and afraid a lot of times. I really thought he got better esp after Reilly and Willie scored, as he was attacking the zone more.
Starting to think that Keefe plays MM with AM is to take pressure of MM as he has someone to rely on in AM.

Reactions: DarkKnight

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Why the f*** do we have an appreciation thread. why not just a player discussion thread?

Is Marner gonna read these boards and get upset
We've had appreciation threads and tribute threads for a vast number of players for years.

And not everyone feels the need or desire to be negative all the time.
Pretty much every other thread in our forum is calling for Marner to be traded due to his performance.
If somebody wants to post in here about the things Marner has done for the Leafs, then fine. If you don't want to, then you don't need to open the thread.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If the Mods want to save our sanity they should just change all tribute or appreciation or vote threads into unified discussion threads.

It's turned into a zoo.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There are several other places to lament our loss and fantasize about trading away our players.

This is still an appreciation thread, whether you want him gone or not.
FYI:
Some people didn't like anything other than effusive praise for Marner and responded with things like "are you stupid, don't you understand that this is an appreciation thread?".

I started another Marner thread, specifically stating that it was a place where more balanced discussion could be had, and people were allowed to point out the negatives without being yelled at.

The mods almost immediately merged that thread with this one.

PS - appreciation threads are dumb IMO (except for players who are no longer playing for us), should be discussion threads only for this exact reason

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Great to see the usual suspects shanking Marner who next year will lick his ass when the prevailing sentiment tide turns after the belligerent nubes leave the Leafs boards

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The fanbase is a bit emotionally immature. This is a tough league. What separates the wheat from the chaff is to perform at an elevated level over a long time. Although Marner is trending for 100 pts tonight, it isn't even a career pace for him. His development curve continues to find new horizons with his defensive game continting to improve. Elite defensive numbers with a top 10 point pace is indicative of an absolutely elite player. Spending time to try and knock him down by qualifying his value by stating playoff caveats (even though he he was great last post season) is a sign of childish temperament and leaves little to like about a person purposefully attempting to arrogantly judge how their petty needs for good faith affirment have not been met. Not criticizing you but some of the obtuse commentators on this forum are a constant reminder of how bratty assholes are plentiful

You do realize, this is the 5th bad postseason for Marner right? Did you post the same thing last year, and the year before? Because I certainly know we keep hearing it from from select posters year after year. Is there an expiry date on your post? Sure one can keep saying it year after year and hope one day Marner magically has a great postseason. And maybe he does and we get to the conference finals. Doesn't mean that we may not have won a cup 2 or 3 times if we had spent him 13% cap hit elsewhere.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Here's some fun stats from Marners recent playoffs (from Sportsnet article cited at the bottom)

Summary:
Marners shot distance was on average 40' from the net
Marners shot from the slot was worst on the team by more than 10%
Matthews point totals were low, possibly because of how far from the net Marner played.

Quotes:
Marner’s “portion of shots from the slot” percentage was last on the Leafs in the playoffs by over 10 per cent.

t's also tough to make sense of Matthews' dried-up point totalbut reallylly dropped were his primary assists, which went from 1.16 (per 60) to 0.48. Hindsight is 20/20, but seeing how far Marner was living from the net in the above stats, and that Calle Jarnkrok was on Matthews' left side, maybe it would’ve been tough to tally many points on passes.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
I hope we trade him in a way our points % doesn't dip, and then we also face this certified bums team in the playoffs.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
Oh I remember the Athletic, those are the guys with the cool models, like the one that said Kadri=Kerfoot as Zeke shared a couple of years ago. :laugh::laugh:

Newsflash - Marner is not winning the Conn Smythe. Part of the reason for that is that he didn't show up for the most important game of the season and the entire team played like crap, game 3 against Florida in case you've forgotten and that pretty much ended our season. If you're mollified by cute stats though, then I'm happy for you. For myself, I just want the team to win.
I don't think he was realisticly in the Conn Smythe running myself either but this whole hyperbole on game 3 being the biggest game of the year is bollocks . Aside from that , he didn't play well but didn't cost us the game either . We lost the series because we can't win on home ice . Losing 1st 2 games , at home was it.
The Leafs probably should of won at least game 2 but a few errors killed them. 1 by Lilly , 1 by Nylander and one by Marner . Marner also had a great 1st period and had a filthy assist on the pp.
Game 1 was pretty even in my mind and more we didn't capitilize on some chances and Florida did other than the Brodie cough up at the blue line which was a back breaker.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
He and Matthews just need to stop raking us over the coals for money..

We can get them help for the playoffs, but that won't happen unless they leave some money on the table.

In Hockey you can choose two, but never three;
1.Soft in the playoffs
2.Money
3.Help

If you want to be soft in the playoffs at least leave some money for other players that can be great. Nope, they want it all; to be soft, to get all the money and the help they need for their said softness.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I don't think he was realisticly in the Conn Smythe running myself either but this whole hyperbole on game 3 being the biggest game of the year is bollocks . Aside from that , he didn't play well but didn't cost us the game either . We lost the series because we can't win on home ice . Losing 1st 2 games , at home was it.
The Leafs probably should of won at least game 2 but a few errors killed them. 1 by Lilly , 1 by Nylander and one by Marner . Marner also had a great 1st period and had a filthy assist on the pp.
Game 1 was pretty even in my mind and more we didn't capitilize on some chances and Florida did other than the Brodie cough up at the blue line which was a back breaker.
What is glossed over is that the leafs best scorer was unable to score a goal in the last 5 games on 26 shots. That is a bit of a kill shot too.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Yeah I saw that. Not sure if that was a player thing or a coach thing about shooting from further away. Keefe said he was surprised at how open Florida was playing. He likely planned around a tight checking series and directed shots from further hoping for deflections and dirty goals. Keefe over manages the team and the lineups way too much. It is no surprise that they couldn't win at home when he gets the last change.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think out of the big 4, it makes sense for Marner to be the one traded. Sucks because I think he ends up in a less intense market and thrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad