Tribute Marner Appreciation Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It’s the same for the other way around. Guys here also make it their personality to defend him no matter what.

I’ll give credit to @DarkKnight for that, he called him out over game 4. Then rightfully gave him his props when he deserved it for game 5

Fans don’t mind others favouring a player, but when you can’t go against a guy no matter how bad he’s been, that’s when we see issues and it ends up with his “haters” getting louder
Absolutely nothing wrong with being a Marner fan. The Marner fans you're referring to are actually great posters too, notsince67 actually has pretty good takes and insight on almost everything when he's not attacking people who criticize Marner.

Him playing the game 3 he did warranted A LOT of criticism and he deserved all of it. I won't let anyone tell me any different.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
That certainly how it should be but few of here subscribe to that.
If only all players could be treated equally but that would assume intelligence and maturity which has been lacking around here the last week.
Think it has been lacking since the birth of internet, lol

Reactions: ACC1224

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Absolutely nothing wrong with being a Marner fan. The Marner fans you're referring to are actually great posters too, notsince67 actually has pretty good takes and insight on almost everything when he's not attacking people who criticize Marner.

Him playing the game 3 he did warranted A LOT of criticism and he deserved all of it. I won't let anyone tell me any different.
LOL I've thought exactly the same thing. I remember reading some of his posts and thinking that's weird, this seems to be pretty well thought out, is this really the same person who sounds like a petulant grade 3 kid when Marner is being discussed?

Careful, the Marner police come out in full force when anything negative is said about him.
They were MIA for a few days there, maybe it's the nice weather we've been having and they've been playing golf or something. ;)

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland

I think no one has a problem calling marner out its why just him. Matthew marner nylander tavares all with no goals in the first three games
Posters saying its marners fault that matthews is not scoring. Matthews has to use his size and battle for some space

Reactions: studebaker17

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think no one has a problem calling marner out its why just him. Matthew marner nylander tavares all with no goals in the first three games
Posters saying its marners fault that matthews is not scoring. Matthews has to use his size and battle for some space

To be fair the narrative around here is Marners exceptional playmaking enables Matthews goal scoring. People say well we pay Mitch 11m to give tap ins for AM.

Marner was giving away the puck repeatedly. People wanted Nylander with AM. Keefe didnt do it. The criticism escalates from there. Paying millions for essentially no performance.

The rest is in the thread.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It’s the same for the other way around. Guys here also make it their personality to defend him no matter what.

I’ll give credit to @DarkKnight for that, he called him out over game 4. Then rightfully gave him his props when he deserved it for game 5

Fans don’t mind others favouring a player, but when you can’t go against a guy no matter how bad he’s been, that’s when we see issues and it ends up with his “haters” getting louder
Think you mean game 3 and I don't recall seeing anyone say he played well in that game.

All I said was that he could have just said "I know I need to be better" and it would have looked much better for the optics than what he said. I don't find that to be "beyond stupid" if it was comments like mine you were referring to.
Sure he could say many things and people would be all over it regardless and really it has no bearing on what happens on the ice.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Think you mean game 3 and I don't recall seeing anyone say he played well in that game.
No i mean everyone called him out game 4 when we lost in OT, he was all around timid, soft and turnover prone

Fast forward to last game and he plays much better

We had guys who both praised and criticized him on those games, including myself. I don’t have a vendetta or a man crush for him, so I call it like I see it, sprinkling in some emotional posting, but I am only human after all

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No i mean everyone called him out game 4 when we lost in OT, he was all around timid, soft and turnover prone

We had guys who both praised and criticized him on those games, including myself. I don’t have a vendetta or a man crush for him, so I call it like I see it, sprinkling in some emotional posting, but I am only human after all
Game 4 was last night, series is 3-1

Reactions: leafs in five

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

You meant Game 3, bro

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I'm not biased, I haven't had favorites on this team for awhile now, I'll call out whoever is playing bad.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Yep, a couple of those, "Mitch, Mitch, Mitch where is your head?" moments. Geez, how many turnovers playoffs after playoffs does it take?

But yes, he worked hard and like Nylander scored a fortuitous goal.

Fortuitous in that they both shot and the puck went in, one after an assist by the ref, and one an eye-seeing "just put it towards the net" goal.

Both goalies played well.
I didn't bother watching yesterdays game, but after Panthers came within 1 goal, the highlights show Marner giving the puck away in his defensive zone when he had plenty of room to get the puck out of the zone. Leading to a shot again that made the highlights. Every game he seems to do this a few times, while the other leafs stars don't.

..... Nylander makes 7 million. Why is he held to the same standard as 11 million Marner? Nylander quite easily has been the more dangerous offensive player between he and Marner. Additionally Nylander is occasionally on the 2nd pp... While Marner is on the first. Pretty sure the PP is a major source of goals for most playoff teams.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I didn't bother watching yesterdays game, but after Panthers came within 1 goal, the highlights show Marner giving the puck away in his defensive zone when he had plenty of room to get the puck out of the zone. Leading to a shot again that made the highlights. Every game he seems to do this a few times, while the other leafs stars don't.

..... Nylander makes 7 million. Why is he held to the same standard as 11 million Marner? Nylander quite easily has been the more dangerous offensive player between he and Marner. Additionally Nylander is occasionally on the 2nd pp... While Marner is on the first. Pretty sure the PP is a major source of goals for most playoff teams.
Exactly.

Marner makes 4m more per season. An addition 36%. Do we get 36% more of anything regarding overall performance? Matthews outscores him, Nylander outscores him. The points race is fairly tight, probably not 36%.

Comparatively Marner is not cost effective. Matthews scores goals and you pay a premium for that... Just not for Nylander goals because you know... Nylander

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marner season stats expected goals seems to trail most stat players and his own teammates:

Team expected goals with Marner on the ice: 58%
Team expected goals without Marner on the ice: 52%

Team expected goals with Nylander on the ice: 64%
Team expected goals with Nylander off the ice: 48%

Team expected goals with Tavares on the ice: 63%
Team expected goals with Tavares off the ice: 50%

Team expected goals with Matthews on the ice: 64%
Team expected goals with Matthews off the ice: 47%

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I didn't bother watching yesterdays game
Funny how that didn't stop you from providing incorrect commentary on that thing you didn't bother watching.
Marner season stats expected goals seems to trail most stat players and his own teammates:

Gee, it's almost like you're taking all-situations expected goals for some reason (or trying to, since the numbers aren't even accurate), and then comparing players who only play even strength and powerplay (game situations which impact expected goals neutrally and positively) to somebody who plays more defensively deployed even strength minutes, the powerplay, and most importantly, the penalty kill, which will obviously negatively impact all-situations expected goal metrics relative to those who don't PK.

You're creating an uneven comparison that targets Marner negatively by attempting to punish him for additional positive contributions to the team in an additional game state that is inherently negative.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

Factoring in zone starts and situation?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

OK I had a closer look and is looks like this is misleading. Maybe these number include PK situations which obviously make Marner look worse? Not sure what you're looking at but when I look at 5on5 numbers, these numbers are pretty similar for all these guys.

I know you're not a Marner fan (understatement) and you love to post numbers, but when you do stuff like this you lose credibility.

asd.PNG

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Big game winner from Marner on Wednesday. His game took a progression in the right way last night which is great to see. Still need more from him (and less turnovers) but if he makes more progressions I like our chances in game 5

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Factoring in zone starts and situation?
He's not only not factoring in that Marner plays more defensive even strength minutes, but way worse, he's comparing numbers that include PK time for Marner to numbers that do not include PK time for the others, completing skewing the results to negatively represent Marner in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad