Tribute Marner Appreciation Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
He's not only not factoring in that Marner plays more defensive even strength minutes, but way worse, he's comparing numbers that include PK time for Marner to numbers that do not include PK time for the others, completing skewing the results to negatively represent Marner in comparison.

Yup.. whatever faults Marner has, to me he's the engine of the Leafs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Big game winner from Marner on Wednesday. His game took a progression in the right way last night which is great to see. Still need more from him (and less turnovers) but if he makes more progressions I like our chances in game 5
He's been one of the highest paid players in the NHL for a number of years now and he's in his prime so it's fair to expect a lot from him. I'm going to need a lot of "progression" and a number of really good games in a row from him (start with the next three) to wash away the stink of game 3. The margin of error is all used up now so we need to win three in a row and if we can't do it, that game 3 will be the defining moment of the season.

To be clear, I'm not blaming that loss on Marner alone. Lots of blame to go around for that one but because he has that super high cap hit and many saw him as the worst player on the ice, I think it's fair to say that he gets a bigger share than anyone else.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Speak badly about him now
Why must the discussion be polarized like this? What if we acknowledge that there's both good and bad and hope that everyone plays well tonight, including Marner. Or maybe we should say especially Marner, since this is a Marner thread after all.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I wish I bought into ignore years ago, I always hated the concept philosophically , but man muting the subpar joke posters really makes for a more pleasant experience.

Expecting a big game from Marner tonight, he seemed to finally relax as the game went on Wednesday. We go as he goes, he’s the engine of the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: studebaker17

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He's not only not factoring in that Marner plays more defensive even strength minutes, but way worse, he's comparing numbers that include PK time for Marner to numbers that do not include PK time for the others, completing skewing the results to negatively represent Marner in comparison.
Evolving hockey allows you to select strength, I select even strength, this is what it shows:
Xg
Marner: 11.73
Matthews: 27
Tavares: 21
Nylander: 21
Bunting: 20
Kerfoot: 13

They also track giveaways/at even strength:
Marner: 67
Matthews, Tavares: 44
Nylander: 32

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
But an engine that only works in good weather and can’t handle off-roading. I’d rather have 80% of Marner’s potential every game than 100% for a couple weeks in February and 50% in the playoffs.
Even better would be a relatively consistent 70% during the regular season and a relatively consistent 95% in the playoffs.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
If thats the case, it makes sense why the team flops in the playoffs.

They all need to be better.. but what I mean is that for me it seems like how Marner is playing tracks with the Leafs record more than anyone else on the team.

Which makes sense considering he is their most creative and main all situation player.

Reactions: studebaker17

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Until the NHL moves to the Olympic size rink you can't win a cup with a top 6 that's scared to get hit. Cry all you want but that's the reality.

Reactions: thewave

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Until the NHL moves to the Olympic size rink you can't win a cup with a top 6 that's scared to get hit. Cry all you want but that's the reality.

Pretty much exactly the case. You would need a team full of Nylanders that can pull away and evade. Impossible to find.

Reactions: m1ker

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Evolving hockey allows you to select strength, I select even strength, this is what it shows:
Xg
Marner: 11.73
Matthews: 27
Tavares: 21
Nylander: 21
Bunting: 20
Kerfoot: 13
I'm not even sure what you're posting here. "xG" is not a stat, and these numbers don't correlate to anything.
They also track giveaways/at even strength:
Marner: 67
Matthews, Tavares: 44
Nylander: 32
A player like Marner is going to have the most giveaways for a number of reasons - not only do they play a lot and they have the puck on their stick the most as they are a playmaker, their primary job in offensive moments is to pass through seams and generate chances and high-danger offensive situations, which inherently carries an element of risk, and their primary job in defensive moments is to play the most defensive, pressure-filled minutes against the best players.

I wonder if there is a reason that you picked out that particular stat and then specifically didn't mention it's sister takeaway stat. I wonder who leads that one.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He can lead this team to victory
He has that kind of ability
We need his very best in our current situation

Let's go Mitch, make yourself somebody people in Toronto talk about with reverence like Gilmore or Clark

satoshi6ix

Apr 18, 2023
If you want to use this subjective term to describe him that's fine, but in game 3 he was the little engine that sucked.
hes not the engine of anything, that's fanboy talk.. and he sucked in game 4 too, just finally decided to shoot the puck instead of looking for one of his signature passes (turnover) in the playoffs

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
He's been one of the highest paid players in the NHL for a number of years now and he's in his prime so it's fair to expect a lot from him. I'm going to need a lot of "progression" and a number of really good games in a row from him (start with the next three) to wash away the stink of game 3. The margin of error is all used up now so we need to win three in a row and if we can't do it, that game 3 will be the defining moment of the season.

To be clear, I'm not blaming that loss on Marner alone. Lots of blame to go around for that one but because he has that super high cap hit and many saw him as the worst player on the ice, I think it's fair to say that he gets a bigger share than anyone else.

Completely agreed. Would love to see Marner (and Matthews) just somehow flip the switch and become the best players in the NHl, but I don't see it happening. Just need him to trend in the right way vs going backwards and that gives us a. Hance to win.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Completely agreed. Would love to see Marner (and Matthews) just somehow flip the switch and become the best players in the NHl, but I don't see it happening. Just need him to trend in the right way vs going backwards and that gives us a. Hance to win.

Matthews could. He has the size and strength to be a force. He's just not that kind of person though. Mitch would probably love to be but physically cant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad