Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not a centre, worse defensively, smaller, younger. I don't know enough about Canadas coaching staff but I could see why some would value Minten higher for this tournament right now, even though I certainly think Cowans potential is higher.

I mean Minten is good so this sounds like I'm dumping on him and all but they have plenty of good defensively responsible centers on that team. Cowan's a PK machine and a much bigger threat on the ice.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I mean Minten is good so this sounds like I'm dumping on him and all but they have plenty of good defensively responsible centers on that team. Cowan's a PK machine and a much bigger threat on the ice.

The London PK is a lot different than the one Canada will ice. London is trying to score just as much as stop the other team. Can't play like that against the US or Sweden. I don't want to dump on Cowan's defense, but he's good defensively in the risky way whereas Minten is good defensively in the boring steady way that's a better fit for this kind of tournament.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The London PK is a lot different than the one Canada will ice. London is trying to score just as much as stop the other team. Can't play like that against the US or Sweden. I don't want to dump on Cowan's defense, but he's good defensively in the risky way whereas Minten is good defensively in the boring steady way that's a better fit for this kind of tournament.

I disagree quite a bit with this assessment but at the end of the day, both are likely on the team based regardless. And they should be I think.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I'd have both Cowan and Minten on that Canada roster pretty easily.

Something like:
Celebrini-Geekie-Savoie
Rehkopf-Danielson-Dumais
Cowan-Yager-Firkus
Minten-Beck-Wood
Barkey

I'd have Wood, Barkey, and the cuts I made in Ludwinski, Vidicek, and Allard in more fringe territory than either Toronto prospect.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

Easton Cowan, F, London:
Generated a lot of buzz at Toronto's training camp, Cowan returned to the OHL and is currently eighth in scoring with 36 points in 22 games -- one point off team leader Barkey in five fewer games played. Drafted: first round (28th overall) in 2023.

Fraser Minten, F, Saskatoon: Turned heads enough that Minten broke camp with the Maple Leafs and actually got into four NHL games before being sent back to WHL Kamloops. He scored 10 points in his first seven games and then the basement-dwelling Blazers traded him early to contending Saskatoon, where Minten has posted three points in four games so far. But more than just offence, Minten wore a letter with the Blazers last season, was named captain before the trade, and he brings a heavy forechecking style of play. Drafted: second round (38th overall) in 2022.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Pretty excited with both Minten and Cowan hopefully on Team Canada. Plenty of Leaf prospects have played in the tourney the past 5 years, it's actually more than you think. Knies, Robertson, Kokkonen, Niemela, Hirvonen, Sandin, Holmberg, Amirov, Abramov, AA.

Tverberg got an invite a couple years ago but was cut. So I believe the last to play for Canada was Ian Scott in 2019 and for skaters was Marner and Dermott in 2016. So it's been a while. This will be nice.

horner

May 22, 2007
I think Cowen is smart enough to adapt to any way the coach wishes him to play .
I bet coaches love this player

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Dammit I just realized I'm gonna miss Cowen Jan 6th vs the steelheads (only time London plays in sauga). That's like a day or two before world junior gold medal game..bought ticks earlier this year hoping to see him live for cheap in my hometown... Hopefully he dosnt make it 😜

• Haha
Reactions: Lauro

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
You always take extra centers. They can play wing. I also expect both to make it though

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
How long before Leafs determine if they have any drafted players on the Marlies capable of playing in the NHL?

Looking at CapFriendly these are the options:
1701957575298.png

Old Mother Hubbard ...

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Mos
I'd put Cowans chance of making Team Canada much higher than Minten. Not sure why some people think it's the other way around.
T likely age and Minten can play a bottom 6 role. I think Cowan needs to crack the top 9 or get sent packing. Minten could play 4th line.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
We do need to solidify who our future PP 2 guy is... Lilly, Timmins, or Niemela... If Lilly or Timmins can solidify that spot, I think Niemela becomes trade bait.

Not sure we should be trading someone who could be a good two-way D just because we have a decent option on PP2.

Niemela could very well be better than both the players you mentioned.

Reactions: arso40

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think it's great we have all these forwards but wish we had some defensive prospects.

Not sure we should be trading someone who could be a good two-way D just because we have a decent option on PP2.

Niemela won't get you much and we have zip in the cupboard. It's a team weakness.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

He could be, but I doubt it, not from what I've seen. I agree, we probably should be patient, but I think our bigger need is someone with some size and bite. I wouldn't trade him for a veteran, or draft pick, but if another team has a desire to make a D swap, for someone who might better fit our needs, that's what I'd look at. Some like Yan Kuznetsov, though there is no hurry to do such a thing.

Reactions: weems

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He could be, but I doubt it, not from what I've seen. I agree, we probably should be patient, but I think our bigger need is someone with some size and bite. I wouldn't trade him for a veteran, or draft pick, but if another team has a desire to make a D swap, for someone who might better fit our needs, that's what I'd look at. Some like Yan Kuznetsov, though there is no hurry to do such a thing.

Niemela looks a lot like Liljegren to me. Steady defensively and good transitioning... I'd hold off on trading that.

Big D are back in style this year cause Vegas won, but small D were all the rage the year before with Colorado winning.

I just want good D that help us win.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Niemela looks a lot like Liljegren to me. Steady defensively and good transitioning... I'd hold off on trading that.

Big D are back in style this year cause Vegas won, but small D were all the rage the year before with Colorado winning.

I just want good D that help us win.
I think balance is needed.... you clearly need guys who can move the puck, are good at transition, and have good defensive play... but you still need some of the bigger guys too... you need a team with balance. Our team and prospect system has lacked some of that balance.

Reactions: 613Leafer

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I think balance is needed.... you clearly need guys who can move the puck, are good at transition, and have good defensive play... but you still need some of the bigger guys too... you need a team with balance. Our team and prospect system has lacked some of that balance.

We have no hulking D, but no one is small on our blueline right now...

Chadwick is big, Rifai has bite, Villeneuve is not small, and Benoit is still only 25.

I think the only truly small D we have is Koster.

I think we just lack D prospects, but not a specific type.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Question, if you had the choice, which of the marlies prospects would you resign? Which would you let go? Which of the expiring rights players would you sign?

I'd go:

Keep:
- Mike Koster - I think he's an excellent skater, I like his potential. So why not try him on the marlies?
- Dmitry Ovchinnikov - I think he's a little redundant, but he's only 21 and has show tremendous strides. I'd like to see him one more year before writing him off. He can skate.

Walk
-
Max Ellis, great skater, but his ceiling is a small 4th liner. So he does not have much potential in our org at 24...
- Brandon Lisowsky - I like the kid, he's talented but he hasn't shown enough improvement to warrant a contract IMO.
- Keith Petruzzelli - He's simply been surpassed by other goalies in the system. Older guy as well.
- Veeti Miettinen - Again, like lisowsky, I think he's skilled. But I think in our system he's redundant.

Off the board:
- Trade Alex Steeves for a young stop gap dman.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Other Contract Wishlist
-Signing Nikita Grebenkin, but he's not available yet.
-Look at the following european/NCAA forwards:
  • Marcus Sylvegard, a player with fantastic speed, plays physical, and has shown a scoring touch in recent years. I know he's a RW but I still think he could be a nice player to add in the system.
  • Vasili Atanasov, Kid has an unbelievable motor, skates very well and has been the best u22 player in the K this year. Pretty certain he's signed for another 2 years but that being said, not sure if theres a way to bring him over regardless.
  • Oliver Okuliar - Fiesty, 6'2 winger who's defensively responsible. Not overly dynamic, but he's one of those guys who can get the job done. He's breaking out this year in Czech. Plays LW.
  • TJ Hughes - From that ridiculous Brooks Bandits team. He's been awesome for Michigan thus far, kid has a wicked shot. Could be a good scoring middle-six guy.
  • Gabriel Seger (AHL Deal) - Here's a guy I keep coming back to. 6"4, versatile forward, who plays a 200ft game and is consistent on the dot. He's got a knack for scoring and is the first player since riley nash to get 30 points for cornel.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
- Brandon Lisowsky - I like the kid, he's talented but he hasn't shown enough improvement to warrant a contract IMO.
- Veeti Miettinen - Again, like lisowsky, I think he's skilled. But I think in our system he's redundant.

We have control of these guys for years, so at worst, they are cheap AHL/ECHL depth. I don't see any reason not to sign them, as we need these kind of bodies in the system. Even if we doubt they will ever be anything at the NHL level, there is always a chance, and you might as well hold onto these guys. With a shortage of picks, at least they are bodies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad