Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Niemela 3 assists
He's 21 this season.

So he isn't late to the NHL at all for a defenseman.
Next year at 22 is probably his first kick at the can.

Robertson is 22, the rest 21. Some turning 22 in January, one as late as August.

Probably no stars, but no flushes yet.

1701527741416.png

And I'd like to send a congrats out to Bandisi.
Perhaps hasn't become a regular NHL player, but still playing in the AHL in your birth city. That's still a great accomplishment for a young man.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Niemela could be the bottom pairing rhd on the 2025-2026 team.

I have a hard time seeing him make the team next year from the start. Needs some more seasoning but should get some games next year.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Niemela could be the bottom pairing rhd on the 2025-2026 team.

I have a hard time seeing him make the team next year from the start. Needs some more seasoning but should get some games next year.
Yeah next year is when I would start giving him some call ups and agree the next year should be the year he is knocking on the door for a full time job. Let him keep marinating in the AHL and get stronger.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Minten + Grebenkin
o_O

He could be making the team next year. :nod:

I think Cowan has a very real chance of making the NHL next year

Grebenkin goals nearly hitting last year's total but assists are down, unsure what to make of him this year.

We maybe should get him over to North America to control his development more.

3 assists for Voit. 4 total in his 2 games since returning. One more weekend to get him in game shape and he should be recalled.

He was someone I was interested in heading into the year so I will be curious to see how he looks in the AHL once he arrives.

Reactions: arso40

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I think Cowan has a very real chance of making the NHL next year

Grebenkin goals nearly hitting last year's total but assists are down, unsure what to make of him this year.

We maybe should get him over to North America to control his development more.

It looks like Grebenkin has another year in the KHL unless he has some out clause we don't know about.
I would rather have him over in the AHL next year. But it may not be up to the Leafs.

If he plays next year in the KHL, then he could go straight into the 2025-2026 squad or play in the AHL that year.
He will still only be 22 by the start of the 2025-2026 season.

I agree, Cowan has a real shot of making the Leafs next year. I think he could easily be a top 6 forward in next year's squad.

I think Minten ends up in the AHL next year despite him starting with the Leafs this year. He would probably develop better playing top 6 minutes with the Marlies for a year. Unless they hand him the 3C spot, it doesn't make sense. Robertson-Minten-Jarnkok?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

His skate to the box brought back memories of Leafs who fricken cared!

They have to Ihnacak him ...

Chief Leaf

Dec 10, 2009

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
IceColdBear's Top 10 Leaf Prospects, Dec 2023:

1. Cowan - he's having a killer season, scores, plays hard, penalty kills - looks like he has a floor as a middle six winger in the NHL, and 1st line upside.

2. Grebyonkin - kid is just 20 years old, and has been productive against high-end, adult competition for two years in the KHL. If everything goes right, we could have a dynamic player with size, speed, skill, and a little bit of an edge in our top-six.

3. Niemela - He has potential to be a top 4 D man - unfortantely, he may be our only prospect you can say that about. Skating, poise, skill - seems like he can be a similar player to Liljegren but hopefully with a little bit more offensive flair.

4. Minten - High floor, low ceiling - but he will fill a need for us as a defensively responsible bottom six center with size and a bit of skill. Hopefully he can chip in 30 to 40 points from the third line down the road, but if not, he'll still have a role in the bottom six.

5. Hildeby - He has put up solid numbers in limited action in both the SHL and AHL. He has the potential to be a starting goalie in a few years - it's tough for me to say much about goalie prospects, but I'm putting him in the top five based on upside.

6. Villenueve - The 6'2 right shot D-man moves the puck well and has strong puck skills. He isn't the strongest skater, or the meanest, most physical defender, and he makes the odd bone-headed turnover. If he can improve in even one of those areas, with his size and puck skills he could carve out a long career in the NHL as a bottom-paring guy. If absolutely everything goes right, maybe a # 4 D man is his upside.

7. Voit - Voit is too dynamic to leave off this list, he is undersized but has elite playmaking skills. He is a high-celing, low-floor prospect. He hasn't had an opportunity to play in the AHL yet this season - he will likely either move up this list, or potentially fall off it by the end of the year depending on how he looks in the AHL when he plays.

8. Akhtyamov - you could easily argue Akhtyamov should be higher on this list. He has a .921 save % in 17 games in the KHL as a twenty two year old - another goalie prospect with a chance to be a starter down the road. I haven't watched him play, and it's difficult to even find many goalie highlights like you can find with Grebyonkin, which is why he isn't higher on my list.

9. Steeves - Steeves produced in the AHL last year, and has improved his production this year - with 19 points in 15 games. He seems to have made a big leap, but turns 24 this December and time is running out for him to be a 'prospect'. I think he will be a full-time NHLer at some point, whether it is with the Leafs or another team, I'm not so sure.

10. Hirvonen - Hirvonen has played against men and produced at a respectable level in the top Finnish league as a 19, 20, and 21 year old. He's undersized but plays with tenancity and is sound defensiely. He could carve out a role as a two-way third line winger who can PK, and chip in some offense. I think a lot of people are down on him because he got absolutely rocked in the prospect camp - but imo he is still one our prospects most likely to become an NHLer.

HM: Ovichnikov, Moldenhauer, Tverberg

Last edited:

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Might have to go down to a Marlies game or two over the holidays and check out Dennis Hildeby in person. Guy is putting up some franchise goalie of the future type numbers.
Between Woll, Hildeby, and Akhtyamov, there's a good chance we'll be able to have solid young, cheap goaltending for the next few years.

Being able to spend $5 million less on goaltending than other contending teams could be critical given how much cap we have devoted to forwards.

I think 8 games is too little to really focus on Hildeby's .935 save percentage so far this year, but he has a strong body of work in the SHL as well with .930 in 7 games in 2021-2022 and .918 in 21 games in 2022-2023. At 6'7, he should have all the physical tools to be a starter.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Between Woll, Hildeby, and Akhtyamov, there's a good chance we'll be able to have solid young, cheap goaltending for the next few years.

Being able to spend $5 million less on goaltending than other contending teams could be critical given how much cap we have devoted to forwards.

I think 8 games is too little to really focus on Hildeby's .935 save percentage so far this year, but he has a strong body of work in the SHL as well with .930 in 7 games in 2021-2022 and .918 in 21 games in 2022-2023. At 6'7, he should have all the physical tools to be a starter.
Any intel on Peksa?

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Hildeby has great numbers so far (small sample size). If he can continue to play well beyond Christmas, we may have something really great on our hands. Reminds me a lot of Ben Bishop with the way he looks in the net.
This is likely not the right thread for this but I suspect they will go with Woll and a cheap vet next year (Talbot?). Samsonov walks.
Hildeby become your 3rd option, plays out next year with the Marlies and is the potential back-up the year after.

Not sure when Akhtyamov can come over from the KHL. But he probably also figures into the plans at some point. At least as a goalie for the Marlies.

Reactions: LeafChief

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
This is likely not the right thread for this but I suspect they will go with Woll and a cheap vet next year (Talbot?). Samsonov walks.
Hildeby become your 3rd option, plays out next year with the Marlies and is the potential back-up the year after.

Not sure when Akhtyamov can come over from the KHL. But he probably also figures into the plans at some point. At least as a goalie for the Marlies.
I agree - I think the play next year (as of now) is Samsonov walks and they bring in a veteran backup that can handle 40% of the load if needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad