Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
I wouldn't mind moving a forward prospect for a d with our log jam of up-and-coming forward prospects.

Guys like Steeves, Voit, Abbruzzese can be expendable for the right d prospect.

NJ - could be interested with their lack of young forwards on Utica- I like Misyul, big guy, skates really well, chips in offensively and can play with an edge.
CBJ - Marcus Bjork, an older guy but he's a 6'4 RHD who skates very well. I see him being a good reliable bottom pair d. With Svozil, Jiricek, Ceulemans and guys like Blakenberg/Sweezey knocking on the door, I can see them moving on.
Philly - Log jam on the back of prospects (Grans/Andrae/Attard/Ginning/Zamula) + Bonk in the a. I would mind taking a chance on Ginning, former Sweden Captain, can play both sides of the ice. I see him as a reliable bottom pair guy.
Arizona - Maksymillian Szuber is making headwaves, and rightfully so. I think he's an underrated player who could surprise by being a top 4 d.
Anaheim - The Gulls are severely lacking in young forwards who can score. Tyson Hinds is a sneaky pickup I really like. He's gonna be good.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
We don't have alot of tradeable assets.

2024 1st 3rd 4th
2025 3rd 4th

ELC contracts
Knies Cowen Minten Grebyonkin we need

As sweeteners, but there are always trades where both teams are looking for NHL ready players.

Jarnkrok has value, and has a decent contract for what he brings.

1701098855011.png

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Jarnkrok for this reason is very valuable to the Leafs too.
Can be moved up or down anywhere in the lineup.
PK or PP
Yeah I wouldnt think to move him he’s a better kerfoot for less money I would look to move kampf and reshape that fourth line with holmberg in the middle he’s a better player anyway

Last edited:

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I wouldn't mind moving a forward prospect for a d with our log jam of up-and-coming forward prospects.

Guys like Steeves, Voit, Abbruzzese can be expendable for the right d prospect.

NJ - could be interested with their lack of young forwards on Utica- I like Misyul, big guy, skates really well, chips in offensively and can play with an edge.
CBJ - Marcus Bjork, an older guy but he's a 6'4 RHD who skates very well. I see him being a good reliable bottom pair d. With Svozil, Jiricek, Ceulemans and guys like Blakenberg/Sweezey knocking on the door, I can see them moving on.
Philly - Log jam on the back of prospects (Grans/Andrae/Attard/Ginning/Zamula) + Bonk in the a. I would mind taking a chance on Ginning, former Sweden Captain, can play both sides of the ice. I see him as a reliable bottom pair guy.
Arizona - Maksymillian Szuber is making headwaves, and rightfully so. I think he's an underrated player who could surprise by being a top 4 d.
Anaheim - The Gulls are severely lacking in young forwards who can score. Tyson Hinds is a sneaky pickup I really like. He's gonna be good.

I would definitely move Abruzzese / Steeves if you can get the right expendable D to gamble on . One who has an outside chance to be a top 4 D.
There are a lot of wings in the pipeline, and I would move expendable wingers before their due date expires.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
The Grebyonkin story continues
Could you imagine the ovation Greb would get if he ever did this in Toronto??? This kid would be an overnight celebrity.

Leaf fans are often miscast as wanting too much out of their players. Wanting them to be more than they are on paper. But in reality I feel like most Leafs fans are incredibly simple. Play with heart, play with passion, and you will always get our support.

Every Leaf great embodies that. Lay it all on the line. I would love to see Grebyonkin bring that passion to the blue and white

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
The thing I like about Knies and Grebyonkin is that they do all the little things you need a top 6 winger to do as the third wheel on one of the top 2 lines.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Do we think Veeti Miettinen gets an ELC at the end of the year? 10 goals in 14 games this year which I know for his senior year isn't anything mind blowing. As a small-shooting winger, does anything separate him from essentially being an older Lisowsky?
I've actually been thinking about this myself. I am not too sure TBH. He seems to have really plateaued his development since his freshman year. He's got an outstanding shot/release, but does he do much else that could help him translate his game to the pro level? My guess is no.

I'd love to give him a look at the pro level, I just don't think he's earned one of our SPC's TBH. Not sure if we would could sign him to an AHL agreement or not. I am not too familiar with the CBA on that front. Either way, I will be tracking his progression wherever he lands next season. He was once a player I had higher hopes on

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022
Has Greb been in a lesser role this season now that he's back with Magnitogorsk?

Be interested to see what opportunity he's had. Almost as many goals (8) vs last year (9) in 11 less game, but fewer assists.

Organizationally the Leafs have some young depth on the wings (Knies, Robertson .. Cowan, Greb) with legit top 6 potential.
This year: 36GP 8G 16P, 14:12 TOI with 1:42 PP time/GP and 00:35 PK time/GP.

Last year on loan with Amur: 45GP 9G 26P, 16:40 TOI with 2:35 PP time/GP and no PK time.

Other interesting notes… shooting at same 1.7 shots/game this year with slightly higher SH%. Only recorded about ~0.5 hits per game last year with more ice time, this year he’s almost at 1 hit per game in less time. Had a season high 18:57 TOI last game, hopefully that can continue.

In general less opportunity however I would argue he’s still doing more with less.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This year: 36GP 8G 16P, 14:12 TOI with 1:42 PP time/GP and 00:35 PK time/GP.

Last year on loan with Amur: 45GP 9G 26P, 16:40 TOI with 2:35 PP time/GP and no PK time.

Other interesting notes… shooting at same 1.7 shots/game this year with slightly higher SH%. Only recorded about ~0.5 hits per game last year with more ice time, this year he’s almost at 1 hit per game in less time. Had a season high 18:57 TOI last game, hopefully that can continue.

In general less opportunity however I would argue he’s still doing more with less.

This is the post I was hoping to hear, thanks :)

I figured he'd get less opportunity but it's nice to hear he's doing well. Hopefully this grows into a bigger role next season.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
It might have to be, there isn't a ton of options left on the Marlies

I'm pretty sure we're looking at number #10 on the defensive depth chart
Yeah I don’t even know who the other options would be, Marshall Rifai?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Is he signed to an NHL deal? Or is it just an AHL deal?
It's crazy how deep in the depth chart you can go pretty fast.

The Leafs need to sign Ethan Bear if he's close to return.

I like Bear as a player, I'd sign him as soon as he was fit even if we didn't have injuries

Reactions: SprDaVE and arso40

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Is he signed to an NHL deal? Or is it just an AHL deal?

I like Bear as a player, I'd sign him as soon as he was fit even if we didn't have injuries

Rifai is on an ELC. He's an aggressive defensive player with limited skills. Kinda like a poor mans McCabe to describe his game.

I think Kokkonen is ahead of him based on pre-season and play on the Marlies, but I like Rifai.

If the Leafs want more skill and mobility, Niemela could be called up. Lajoie is another option, who did play earlier in the season, might be someone they want to sit in the press box as depth.

Reactions: arso40 and Kiwi

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Rifai is on an ELC. He's an aggressive defensive player with limited skills. Kinda like a poor mans McCabe to describe his game.

I think Kokkonen is ahead of him based on pre-season and play on the Marlies, but I like Rifai.

If the Leafs want more skill and mobility, Niemela could be called up. Lajoie is another option, who did play earlier in the season, might be someone they want to sit in the press box as depth.
I think it’s unlikely we see a call up from one of the guys they didn’t trust to use during the AHL playoffs last season. Villeneuve, Kokkonen and Miller were all scratched for the playoffs and if the organization didn’t trust them for AHL playoffs I doubt they trust them for an NHL call up.

Reactions: The Iceman

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I think it’s unlikely we see a call up from one of the guys they didn’t trust to use during the AHL playoffs last season. Villeneuve, Kokkonen and Miller were all scratched for the playoffs and if the organization didn’t trust them for AHL playoffs I doubt they trust them for an NHL call up.
Kokkonen had a rough year last year but had a good pre season not sure how the years going but you can see a big difference in a player over the course of a year

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The Growlers - Steelheads game has been excellent. 4-4 going in to OT. Drew my attention from Saskatoon- Spokane.

Last edited:
Reactions: SprDaVE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad