Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
A little tidbit from The Athletic today, a nice gesture from AM and Reilly:

Ahead of an October road trip, Rielly was listing off what the rookie would need.

“He thought it was funny that I only had one suit,” Minten said.

“You need more than that,” Minten recalls Rielly saying with a laugh.

And so Rielly enlisted Matthews and the pair bought Minten a few new suits.

“It’s totally something they don’t have to do but it goes a long way,” Minten said. “I didn’t even want to look at the price tag. I didn’t want to know.”

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
A little tidbit from The Athletic today, a nice gesture from AM and Reilly:

Ahead of an October road trip, Rielly was listing off what the rookie would need.

“He thought it was funny that I only had one suit,” Minten said.

“You need more than that,” Minten recalls Rielly saying with a laugh.

And so Rielly enlisted Matthews and the pair bought Minten a few new suits.

“It’s totally something they don’t have to do but it goes a long way,” Minten said. “I didn’t even want to look at the price tag. I didn’t want to know.”
I don’t think any one can question Mo’s qualities off the ice, but barring Matthews’ horribly stupid lapse in judgement he appears to be a great person.

Between things like this, his ongoing commitment to Sick Kids and the recent interview with Luke Prokop it seems like he genuinely cares.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I don’t think any one can question Mo’s qualities off the ice, but barring Matthews’ horribly stupid lapse in judgement he appears to be a great person.

Between things like this, his ongoing commitment to Sick Kids and the recent interview with Luke Prokop it seems like he genuinely cares.
ya and mathews help give the kid some fashion too .mo dresses like bloor street mathews can get u in a club lol
nice gesture

Reactions: arso40

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
No surprise but both Minten and Cowen were added to Canada’s WJC selection camp
Who are some notable players they were chosen over? First one that came to mind is Andrew Cristall. Also Colby Barlow, Callum Ritchie, Hunter Heidt

Last edited:

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Is it the selection camp, or the team roster? TSN termed it the latter, as we would hope.
Gotta be selection camp. 16 forwards, 11 dmen, 4 goalies. Gotta get that cut down. I'd say Minten is probably safe. Cowan I wouldn't guarantee but his odds should be pretty good. The thing that would hurt his chances is if there was a surprise NHL player that was let go at the last minute. I don't think the odds are high for that though.

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
Random tidbit I picked up from Kloke's recent prospect update (Maple Leafs prospect report: Minten on the move, how Hildeby is dominating and more) is apparently, due to Covid, Miettinen can go back to play for St Cloud for a 5th year if he wants (or if the Leafs still want to let him 'marinate'...)

I suspect that also applies to Koster, and maybe Fusco/Schingoethe, although you'd probably be writing off most NCAAers if they're not at least ready for the AHL after 4 years of college...

I would guess Leafs prospect legend Ryan O'Connell was able to play a 5th year of NCAA because he was doing an MBA at a different college (currently tearing up the French 3rd division, for those obviously wondering).

Kloke also clarifies that Peksa is with the Marlies at the moment due to the Growlers being on a couple lengthy road trips which their goalie coach doesn't join for and they're wary of too much culture shock, so he's under Toivonen's tutelage for now.

Reactions: Lauro

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I'd put Cowans chance of making Team Canada much higher than Minten. Not sure why some people think it's the other way around.
I would guess the logic there is Team Canada loves the "NHL ready" player, regardless of their skill/upside.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Cowan is a better player in almost everything except he's not a natural center.

Not a centre, worse defensively, smaller, younger. I don't know enough about Canadas coaching staff but I could see why some would value Minten higher for this tournament right now, even though I certainly think Cowans potential is higher.

At the end of the day hockey sense is probably the biggest strength for both and Cowan especially is a ferocious forechecker. I think they'll look even better in person for the coaches than they do on tape and both will comfortably make the team, they're the type of players coaches typically love. Hard workers with great hockey IQ is a coaches dream. Both of them blew away expectations throughout their camps with the Leafs this year as well, now that they're feet are in the door I'd be surprised if either were cut.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad