Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
We have control of these guys for years, so at worst, they are cheap AHL/ECHL depth. I don't see any reason not to sign them, as we need these kind of bodies in the system. Even if we doubt they will ever be anything at the NHL level, there is always a chance, and you might as well hold onto these guys. With a shortage of picks, at least they are bodies.
I get this notion but why hold onto guys who have not really proven they can be next level contributors when you can sign other guys to ELCs that might be more useful. We have limited contract spots.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
The question around Niemela will be his ability to defend and I don't mean thru being good at moving the puck and keeping it out of your own zone lens.

How will he be against oncoming speed in the neutral zone?
Will he be effective at clearing the crease?
Can he win alot of board battles and be able to break a cycle?
How will he be against a heavy forecheck?

I've been a fan since we drafted him but there are times when his skating or agility when defending get him into trouble.

His offensive skillset and vision definitely translate to the pro game.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The question around Niemela will be his ability to defend and I don't mean thru being good at moving the puck and keeping it out of your own zone lens.

How will he be against oncoming speed in the neutral zone?
Will he be effective at clearing the crease?
Can he win alot of board battles and be able to break a cycle?
How will he be against a heavy forecheck?

I've been a fan since we drafted him but there are times when his skating or agility when defending get him into trouble.

His offensive skillset and vision definitely translate to the pro game.
I think we need to be careful about including him in trades. I wouldn't move him for Tanev and even Hanifin I'm not sure ether. 12 points in 18 games as a 21 year old playing big mins is not something to ignore. He also shoots right.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
He returned from injury and played 2 games with the Growlers, and then got recalled by the Marlies, and then was sent down again. He didn't play a game for the Marlies
He only returned from injury last weekend. My guess is they brought him up to work with the Marlies staff since the Growlers had no games Mon - Thu, so this is essentially "still" the original conditioning loan.
Thank you both very much for the recap! Appreciate it.

Reactions: stickty111

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Question, if you had the choice, which of the marlies prospects would you resign? Which would you let go? Which of the expiring rights players would you sign?

I too would re-sign Ovchinnikov and let Petruzzelli & Ellis walk. If Steeves is still around he's probably worth another contract.

At this point it's still too early to say, but Koster is probably worth signing. Lisowsky seems at least somewhat more involved in the game than just finding space to score from in the o-zone; I'd sign him if he has a good playoff performance. I believe Miettinen is allowed to play a 5th year in the NCAA due to covid, but he doesn't look to be worth a contract yet.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Question, if you had the choice, which of the marlies prospects would you resign? Which would you let go? Which of the expiring rights players would you sign?

I'd go:

Keep:
- Mike Koster - I think he's an excellent skater, I like his potential. So why not try him on the marlies?
- Dmitry Ovchinnikov - I think he's a little redundant, but he's only 21 and has show tremendous strides. I'd like to see him one more year before writing him off. He can skate.

Walk
-
Max Ellis, great skater, but his ceiling is a small 4th liner. So he does not have much potential in our org at 24...
- Brandon Lisowsky - I like the kid, he's talented but he hasn't shown enough improvement to warrant a contract IMO.
- Keith Petruzzelli - He's simply been surpassed by other goalies in the system. Older guy as well.
- Veeti Miettinen - Again, like lisowsky, I think he's skilled. But I think in our system he's redundant.

Off the board:
- Trade Alex Steeves for a young stop gap dman.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Other Contract Wishlist
-Signing Nikita Grebenkin, but he's not available yet.
-Look at the following european/NCAA forwards:
  • Marcus Sylvegard, a player with fantastic speed, plays physical, and has shown a scoring touch in recent years. I know he's a RW but I still think he could be a nice player to add in the system.
  • Vasili Atanasov, Kid has an unbelievable motor, skates very well and has been the best u22 player in the K this year. Pretty certain he's signed for another 2 years but that being said, not sure if theres a way to bring him over regardless.
  • Oliver Okuliar - Fiesty, 6'2 winger who's defensively responsible. Not overly dynamic, but he's one of those guys who can get the job done. He's breaking out this year in Czech. Plays LW.
  • TJ Hughes - From that ridiculous Brooks Bandits team. He's been awesome for Michigan thus far, kid has a wicked shot. Could be a good scoring middle-six guy.
  • Gabriel Seger (AHL Deal) - Here's a guy I keep coming back to. 6"4, versatile forward, who plays a 200ft game and is consistent on the dot. He's got a knack for scoring and is the first player since riley nash to get 30 points for cornel.
Dump Petruzzelli and bring over Akhtyamov. Petruzzelli is old, has finished his ELC and hasn't impressed.

Re-sign Ovchinnikov and Steeves. Dump Ellis. Ovchinnikov has an extra year waiver exempt, if he finishes strong this year, that could come in handy next season. Ellis is old, has finished his ELC and he hasn't impressed. Steeves should see NHL ice next season with Holmberg.

Give all the borderline, undersized prospects ELC's. The Marlies will benefit from those choices. None of them will be NHL'ers though.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Ovchinnikov needing a contract this offseason startled me. I guess that's what happens when you burn 2 years of an ELC in Europe. Still don't really understand why we keep doing that. At least in Hirvonen and Niemela's cases they did it early enough we got the slide year. Seems crazy that Ovi is just breaking into the lineup consistently now and his ELC is almost over. Not that it matters much. You resign them to as cheap or cheaper than the ELC when they're at the level and experience that Ovi is yet.

Reactions: arso40

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think we need to be careful about including him in trades. I wouldn't move him for Tanev and even Hanifin I'm not sure ether. 12 points in 18 games as a 21 year old playing big mins is not something to ignore. He also shoots right.

He also won the defenceman of the tournament award at the WJC. A 15 year sample size of winners from 2005-2019:

Phaneuf, Staal, E. Johnson, Doughty, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Ellis, Gormley, Trouba, Ristolainen, Gavrikov, Werenski, Chabot, Dahlin, and Romanov.

All of them except for Gormley and maybe Ristolainen became top 4 NHLers (Romanov is still young, but he's 3rd in TOI for the Islanders this season) , and the majority became guys you could play on your top pair (if not legit #1s).

Note that Sandin also won (2020) and we already traded him.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
He also won the defenceman of the tournament award at the WJC. A 15 year sample size of winners from 2005-2019:

Phaneuf, Staal, E. Johnson, Doughty, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Ellis, Gormley, Trouba, Ristolainen, Gavrikov, Werenski, Chabot, Dahlin, and Romanov.

All of them except for Gormley and maybe Ristolainen became top 4 NHLers (Romanov is still young, but he's 3rd in TOI for the Islanders this season) , and the majority became guys you could play on your top pair (if not legit #1s).

He also broke the U20 scoring record for D men in Liiga

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Damn, that's quite the list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad