Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
Career AHLer for the Marlies, finally getting his shot at 27. One of the more unusual routes to the league. He played a full year for the growlers as a bottom 6er.
Also only started a 4-year NCAA career as a 21 year old!

May have one of the higher effort-to-skill ratios I've ever seen, and I mostly mean that as a compliment. Seemed to be all over the ice when he was with the Marlies, but didn't have the skill to actually do much with that... good for him though.

0 A for John Fusco last night. Keeping you all informed *salute emoji*

(On another esoteric note, I randomly noticed that unsigned 2017 6th rounder Ryan McGregor recently got called up by the Coyotes for the first time, although he hasn't actually dressed yet. He's on his second contract with them after a 3-year ELC spent in the AHL with middling numbers, but presumably only seen as a bottom-6 fill-in type...)

Last edited:

gilmour75

Nov 29, 2011
I saw Voit last night in person with the Growlers. He is what you would expect from his stat line. He had a scoring chance off the opening draw, Later he hit the crossbar and he also had a secondary assist. I am not a scout but I would say he was very involved in the play and probably the most noticeable player on the ice. He is on the small side though so I am wondering if that might hold him back going forward.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Really happy both Minten and Cowan made the WJC selection camp squad! Excited to watch them compete for a spot

Reactions: weems

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
I saw Voit last night in person with the Growlers. He is what you would expect from his stat line. He had a scoring chance off the opening draw, Later he hit the crossbar and he also had a secondary assist. I am not a scout but I would say he was very involved in the play and probably the most noticeable player on the ice. He is on the small side though so I am wondering if that might hold him back going forward.
Kinda sounds like Kyle Wellwood, hopefully with more drive and better work ethic.

Reactions: hullsy47

gilmour75

Nov 29, 2011
Kinda sounds like Kyle Wellwood, hopefully with more drive and better work ethic.
I saw Wellwood years ago when The Leafs had their farm team here in NL. I remember Wellwood's Stickhandling stood out to me at that time. I didn't notice that as much with Voit but he looks to have good vision. I think if it was up to me I would leave Voit with the growlers at least a few weeks and let him dominate before moving to the Marlies.

Reactions: leafers

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Knies Matthews Marner
Robertson Tavares Nylander
Cowan Minten Grebenkin
Hirvonen/Tverberg Kampf Holmberg

This is what I could possibly see our forward lineup looking like in 2 yrs. I like that bottom 6, that would have a good mix of size, speed, energy and skill. Would also put Robertson in a position to do well producing with top 6 players.

Would also come cheap and allow us to use cap space going after some defensemen.

Reactions: horner

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Knies Matthews Marner
Robertson Tavares Nylander
Cowan Minten Grebenkin
Hirvonen/Tverberg Kampf Holmberg

This is what I could possibly see our forward lineup looking like in 2 yrs. I like that bottom 6, that would have a good mix of size, speed, energy and skill. Would also put Robertson in a position to do well producing with top 6 players.

Would also come cheap and allow us to use cap space going after some defensemen.

Tavares has never been fast, and at 35 I just don't know if having him with Nylander makes any sense?

Wouldn't he do better with an east-west player(s), rather than a north-south player(s)?

I know, this is projection, so no one at this point is right. After the event occurs one can claim being right.

So maybe something like:

Knies Matthews Marner
Robertson ?? 2 ?? Nylander
Cowan Tavares Grebenkin
Minten/Hirvonen/??? Kampf Holmberg

Minten grows into a center position?

?? 2 ?? - somewhere inhouse, or free agency?

From what I've seen of Cowan (just highlights) I would not be shocked if he was on the 2nd. line.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Tavares has never been fast, and at 35 I just don't know if having him with Nylander makes any sense?

Wouldn't he do better with an east-west player(s), rather than a north-south player(s)?

I know, this is projection, so no one at this point is right. After the event occurs one can claim being right.

So maybe something like:

Knies Matthews Marner
Robertson ?? 2 ?? Nylander
Cowan Tavares Grebenkin
Minten/Hirvonen/??? Kampf Holmberg

Minten grows into a center position?

?? 2 ?? - somewhere inhouse, or free agency?

From what I've seen of Cowan (just highlights) I would not be shocked if he was on the 2nd. line.

Tavares will put up top 6 production if you pair him with the right wingers, that's why I'd give Matthew's Nylander and I'd let Marner drive Tavares line for him as he ages

Even mid 30's JT is a better top 6C than anything we've got in house

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The question around Niemela will be his ability to defend and I don't mean thru being good at moving the puck and keeping it out of your own zone lens.

How will he be against oncoming speed in the neutral zone?
Will he be effective at clearing the crease?
Can he win alot of board battles and be able to break a cycle?
How will he be against a heavy forecheck?

I've been a fan since we drafted him but there are times when his skating or agility when defending get him into trouble.

His offensive skillset and vision definitely translate to the pro game.
I think Niemela is a 3rd pairing with the right guy such as Schenn type. His size is a concern.

Reactions: horner

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Tavares will put up top 6 production if you pair him with the right wingers, that's why I'd give Matthew's Nylander and I'd let Marner drive Tavares line for him as he ages

Even mid 30's JT is a better top 6C than anything we've got in house

That's why I'd prefer Matthews-Nylander. Strange, and I'm probably wrong, but to me Nylander is north-south, marner is east-west.

That's why I agree Tavares-marner makes me feel more at ease.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
That's why I'd prefer Matthews-Nylander. Strange, and I'm probably wrong, but to me Nylander is north-south, marner is east-west.

That's why I agree Tavares-marner makes me feel more at ease.

Agree with the North-South thing and for me the other thing is Marner is at his best finding unexpected seams in chaos where Nylander is more consistent getting a straightforward pass to danger areas in normal coverage. Imo Matthews gets cleaner shooting lanes with Nylander’s passing than Marner getting 2 D to lose coverage on a positional switch and feeding Matthews when there’s bodies scrambling around the slot.

Reactions: arso40

kerk

Apr 27, 2009
I have a feeling he’s the next guy that gets moved in a nothing deal and you hear about him putting up a random 50 point season for 750k in 2 years.
if got top 6 minutes on a bottom feeder i could definitely see it happening lol

tverberg picks up an assist in his first game back

Reactions: aingefan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad