Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

horner

May 22, 2007
You can’t be promoted to the show and play 7 minutes a night on the fourth line and show what you can do
The problem is that is all we have for kids coming up from the marlies

All the coach wants is that he can trust you.
So play a 200' game
Hit
Go to the dirty areas
Be strong on the play when you don't have the puck
Block shots
Stick in the shooting lanes

The rest will follow
They may find out you are good at PK
You need to be noticed

Most of our prospect will have to start that way

You need to find a roll

to me that is what has changed in Roberson's game is the play without the puck . Now he needs to be consistent.
Continue to go to the net

Being a London knights fan that is what they want out of you
The coach needs to trust you that is why Cowen climbed the ladder last year.

Reactions: weems

horner

May 22, 2007
You can’t be promoted to the show and play 7 minutes a night on the fourth line and show what you can do
Most players off in a bottom 6 role
Alot of players in the the best scorers an point producers don't make it because the most important parts of there game sucks
And most start of playing a bottom six role.
And the best scorers in the AHL can't produce in the big.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Will Luke Cavallin be considered for an ELC at some point? He's put Dryden McKay (who was quite hyped coming in) to shame in terms of their ECHL performances. Also outplaying Peksa albeit in a small sample for Peksa who just came over to North America. Besides Hildeby seems like Cavallin is the only other guy in the Leafs North American system with respectable numbers, and is also a few years younger than McKay and Petruzzelli, and same age as Hildeby and Akthyamov.

Reactions: SprDaVE

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
i mean what exactly do you suggest the leafs do? alot of these players down the marlies will only ever be 4th line players IF they make it to the NHL full time, not every prospect deserves top 6 minutes, if they wanna play in the NHL they will have to show out in their 7 minutes with the big club.
My point is playing in the ahl and scoring a lot of goals/points playing on top line with power play minutes.
You can’t show much in the nhl getting 7 minutes a night with no power play time.
Hard to show you belong on the big. Club

Reactions: arso40

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
My point is playing in the ahl and scoring a lot of goals/points playing on top line with power play minutes.
You can’t show much in the nhl getting 7 minutes a night with no power play time.
lots of players in the AHL score plenty of goals and never make the NHL, its the organizations job to know what type of prospects they have and where and IF they fit with their NHL club. the AHL is littered with the corpses of 23 year old players that never made the NHL and have put up big AHL seasons. ALOT of young players will never be more more than 4th liners so if they cant perform as such then thats on them, and to be clear these types arent asked to score at the NHL level, they are asked to forcheck, be responsible defensively etc.

Reactions: horner

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Yeah, odds are they will have to play both sides of the puck more in the NHL, as most teams won't be promoting them to lead their NHL team in scoring.

Leafs gave one last opportunity to Josh Ho-Sang Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Go up don't get embarrassed, don't lose games for the team, and be humble and bust your butt. If you do that and show you can play above the 4th. line ... you'll get your chance. Take shortcuts and it'll likely be a quick return to the minors.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
That's just how the AHL is. AHL production doesn't really mean much tbh or else TJ Brennan would've won a few Norris Trophies in the NHL. It's also why I would't mind adding some of our prospects on the Marlies already in trades like Abruzzese or Holmberg because those are guys who will have to play 4th line minutes here and players like then need consistent 3rd line minutes minimum and some PP time which they probably won't get here, especially now that younger guys may have already passed them on the depth chart. McMann just fits that 4th line checking role better than them so I'd also value him much more in our system atm for that reason only.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Among the Marliee fowards, Abruzzese is the least likely to stick with the Leafs because his skill set doesn't exactly work on the bottom 6. I think he could in theory work on an NHL's team 3rd line in the right scenario. He would have to be a set up man. But that's not a position that really exists on the Leafs.
I would probably include him as a sweetener in a trade.

McMann fits the the 4th line well, but not sure he can play higher than that. He is a UFA next summer, so he will probably sign wherever he thinks he will get the best chance to stick in the NHL.

Holmberg probably has a chance to be a 3C or 4C in the NHL. But they have Kampf taking up one of those positions, and he couldn't beat Minten this year for 3C. And now Domi seems to have solidified himself as this year's 3C. Even if Domi isn't back next year, Minten will be back trying to claim the 3C. Maybe if Kampf is dealt for cap reasons next summer, he will eventually get a shot.

I think Steeves could play wing on multiple lines. That is why I think he is mostly to make it in the short term. The Leafs probably can't afford to extend Bertuzzi and need to spend on the D. So there could be a top 9 LW position for the taking next year.

Reactions: Lauro

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
That’s great and it makes sense. Hockey Canada likes players akin to Minten and Cowan to round out their roster. They’re not elite skill guys but they’re hardworking two way players that have some offense to their game. Cowan’s speed and Minten’s natural centre ability are pluses.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
That Team USA is going to be disgustingly good. Just going over the names its like whoa that might be a top 3 team they've sent in the last 20 years.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
That Team USA is going to be disgustingly good. Just going over the names its like whoa that might be a top 3 team they've sent in the last 20 years.

That team is so stacked. Jeesh.

Sweden looks really strong this year as well.

With Bedard, Wright, Fantilli, Poitras and Korchinski in the NHL, Canada is looking like some under-dog this year.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
USA has a ton of skill no doubt, they do seem to be a bit younger and undersized imo - We’ll see.

Hopefully Cowan and Minten make it, and Chadwick gets a camp invite.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
USA has a ton of skill no doubt, they do seem to be a bit younger and undersized imo - We’ll see.

Hopefully Cowan and Minten make it, and Chadwick gets a camp invite.

I think Team Canada is quite small, especially on the wings.

Benson
Savoie
Firkus
Dumais
Cowan
Yager
Celebrini

Hopefully they don't force some size in there and leave out some good players. The D should be bigger though (That's what she said).

So like, is Chadwich kinda sick? Other than stat watching there isn't much out there on him.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
That’s great and it makes sense. Hockey Canada likes players akin to Minten and Cowan to round out their roster. They’re not elite skill guys but they’re hardworking two way players that have some offense to their game. Cowan’s speed and Minten’s natural centre ability are pluses.
i think cowan is pretty elite in alot of regards and i believe is 3rd in ppg in the ohl, i think you aree underrating his offense personally

Reactions: Northernguy10

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I hope both make it but Cowan's offense and PK ability has separated himself from Minten tbh.

Haven't watched any Kamloops games but 1 goal and 7 points in 6 games isn't exactly impressive

Last edited:

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I think one of the bigger failures over the last 6 years is not having a young #3 center to develop behind Tavares & Matthews. Leafs go bargain hunting every offseason for a #3 center and we should have an organization youth player here. Even signing someone like Jack McBain would be a step up.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think one of the bigger failures over the last 6 years is not having a young #3 center to develop behind Tavares & Matthews. Leafs go bargain hunting every offseason for a #3 center and we should have an organization youth player here. Even signing someone like Jack McBain would be a step up.

Maybe it's Minten but yea... finding quality defenseman and centres is a big part of being a contender.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I hope both make it but Cowan's offense and PK ability has separated himself from Minten tbh.

Haven't watched any Kamloops games but 1 goal and 7 points in 6 games isn't exactly impressive

The same issues he's had last year. Just not enough skill and offensive output. He's a smart player that works hard and all that but his lack of offensive skill will hold him back and not many players can consistently stay in the NHL without it.

The Blazers are terrible so it doesn't much help but I think 1 goal in 6 games is not good enough.

Last edited:

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
I’d take him over Kampf and Reaves all day every day
Reaves I will agree with but Kampf is a valuable player, and if they can keep him for reasonable money and a spot on the 4th line and at key faceoff time why not -- Bellows does not replace Kampf.

Will Luke Cavallin be considered for an ELC at some point? He's put Dryden McKay (who was quite hyped coming in) to shame in terms of their ECHL performances. Also outplaying Peksa albeit in a small sample for Peksa who just came over to North America. Besides Hildeby seems like Cavallin is the only other guy in the Leafs North American system with respectable numbers, and is also a few years younger than McKay and Petruzzelli, and same age as Hildeby and Akthyamov.
I agree - but I think the leafs are just taking a slow approach with him. He's shown that he can play teh pro game- lead rookies in most categories in ECHL last year, and was top goalie in most stats regardless of rookie/vet status. He faced something like 98 shots in 2 back to back games recently and got a shutout in one of them.

Reactions: 1specter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad