Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Epic first sentence
1699906004737.png

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019

I haven't watched the Marlies play this year but I had him as a potential trade sweetner if he performed well in the AHL.

He has a very defined skill set and I can only see him succeeding in the NHL in very specific circumstances where he gets to set up a goal scorer.
Based on how the Leafs roster is constructed, it seems unlikely he will get that chance here. He is already 24 years of age so they can't bury him in the minors forever.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
We have a crazy prospect pool

In 2 yrs all of these players could be on the main club

Forward
Knies Robertson Cowan Minten Grebyonkin McMann Steves Holmberg

Goal
Woll Hildeby ( maybe better than Woll ) his numbers are crazy

Defense
We need more top prospects

Niemela, Villeneuve, Rifai, Koster, and Kokkenen are all decent prospects (Niemela is great).

And then Liljegren and Timmins are still fairly young.

Even Benoit, Lajoie, and Lagesson are young enough.

Rielly is only 29 years old and signed for a while.

I don't think our D is as bad moving forward as some think.

We likely need to fill out one right defense spot (hopefully Niemela) and two left spots (I think we have a few bottom pairing guys, but need a 2LD) over the next 5 years assuming we keep everyone.. that is not bad.

kerk

Apr 27, 2009
Niemela, Villeneuve, Rifai, Koster, and Kokkenen are all decent prospects (Niemela is great).

We likely need to fill out one right defense spot (hopefully Niemela) and two left spots (I think we have a few bottom pairing guys, but need a 2LD) over the next 5 years assuming we keep everyone.. that is not bad.
i'm a believer in rifai playing in the nhl sooner than later. think fans will like him too cus he's a guy who doesn't hesitate to drop the gloves.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

I see lots of bottom half depth there.. Liljegren is probably the only young guy that can play in a top 3 defensive role, and Rielly is obviously the other.

The Leafs should really be searching for a top pairing #1 d-man (water is wet), but I mean in that they if they can secure that piece long term, the defensive core should have some depth lined up behind them that can be put in positions to succeed.

horner

May 22, 2007
I see lots of bottom half depth there.. Liljegren is probably the only young guy that can play in a top 3 defensive role, and Rielly is obviously the other.

The Leafs should really be searching for a top pairing #1 d-man (water is wet), but I mean in that they if they can secure that piece long term, the defensive core should have some depth lined up behind them that can be put in positions to succeed.
As Cowen and Minten were found
I hope our scouting Department are as good finding those hidden jems on D .
Treliving nhl dman drafted
Fox
R Anderson
Kylington was good until injuries
Valmaki
If he can pull this of I would be ecstatic 2 top paring dman

Last edited:

weems

Jul 3, 2008
As Cowen and Minten were found
I hope our scouting Department are as good finding those hidden jems on D .
Treliving nhl dman drafted
Fox
R Anderson
Kylington was good until injuries
Valmaki
If he can pull this of I would be ecstatic 2 top paring dman

Noah Chadwick who we just drafted has 15pts in 18 games played and is a +10.

No idea how good his defensive game is but those are fantastic offensive numbers and a big increase PPG wise from last season.

6'4 200lbs

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

No idea how good his defensive game is but those are fantastic offensive numbers and a big increase PPG wise from last season.

6'4 200lbs

Fun fact - Chadwick is Clark’s only d-man he’s drafted so far in his first two drafts, in 8 picks.

But last year in addition to Minten, he drafted Hildeby and Grebenkin.

Some picks that have trended extremely well so far.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Fun fact - Chadwick is Clark’s only d-man he’s drafted so far in his first two drafts, in 8 picks.

But last year in addition to Minten, he drafted Hildeby and Grebenkin.

Some picks that have trended extremely well so far.
I have been very impressed with Wes Clark as our director of Amateur scouting. In the 2 drafts he's headlined I would say almost every one of his picks has tracked beyond their draft position. Not to mention he's not exactly had an over abundance of picks to work with over that time frame.

1700062193886.png

it's still a very long way before we see any of these players make an impact at the NHL level, but the early ROI with these selections look promising to say the least. Between Cowan, Minten, Greb and Hildeby I'd say there is a very strong possibility that at a minimum, 2 of those 4 players have solid NHL careers. Then between Malinoski, Chadwick, Moldenhauer and Lisowsky you probably see 1 of those players play NHL games. That's not to say they cannot develop into NHL players, they just aren't tracking in that direction at this time. Nor should we expect that from them, all being mid to late round selections.

All n All, I feel very confident with our scouting staff. As it stands at this moment, we have 9 selections in this upcoming draft. I don't expect all of those pick to remain there come July, but I do believe we will have more then what we've seen the past 3 drafts. I am looking forward to seeing what Wes can do with more dart throws

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

6'4 200lbs
1700062658746.png

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Would be nice to see Voit, Hirvonen and Tverberg back. Already a good lineup without them, will be interesting to see them all get going at once to see what we may truly have in this prospect pool in terms of B/C-level prospects.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver

6'4 200lbs
Really bad. But he has some offensive skills and good offensive iq.

Reactions: weems

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
If you assume/agree that Cowan, Knies, Minten, Niemela and Robertson are the top 5 prospects. And for the purpose of this exercise, remove goaltenders aka AA and Hildeby, who would you consider the 6th best skater prospect?

Grenbenkin? Hirvonen? Moldenhauer? Voit? Other?

I wish you could do a poll within a post. Would be interesting to see who people think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad