LW Taylor Hall (2010, 1st overall, EDM)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
He put them in the same category. As in implying that Seguin was nothing but a vague projection pick of a guy that might get better. Seguin and Hall are way and above the other players in the draft. Central scouting and some other reputable groups have rated Seguin higher.

There is nothing wrong with declaring that Hall should be the #1 pick but to make the statement that Bugg made was either poorly worded or just a bad bad grouping of players.

He in no way worded that Seguin was that kind of player or in that category... You did not read his response properly and formed an opinion of a response that was never there. He simply said Hall is more of a sure thing based on what he HAS DONE, rather then Seguin being touted for what he could do... He furthered the pointing hoping the Oilers would have learned from the past draft picks that have been made on the assumption the player would be more..

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
And yet Seguin scored more goals than Hall this year. Also ever 2nd threa around here is a 'trade Hemsky ' thread.
I know people always say "they don't ask how, they ask how many" but in this case you have to look at how they're scoring their goals. I've seen a lot of both Hall and Seguin and I honestly don't think Seguin scores a good chunk of his goals this season if an NHL goalie is in net. He's scored a lot of weak goals from the outside or just plain awkward backhand goals that had no business going in. Hall on the other hand has an absolute rocket.

I don't mean to sound like I'm completely discrediting Seguin's goal scoring ability to make a point about Hall...it's just that the reality is that Hall's goals were better. His shot is harder and more accurate.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hall said he wanted to focus more on getting assists during the regular season, that's why his goal scoring was down a touch this season.

As is evident during the playoffs though, Hall is a sniper first and foremost. Seguin is more of a playmaker.

In that sense, Hall is absolutely the better fit for the Oilers, doesn't matter if he plays LW, C, RW or all three. The Oilers have needed a sniper for ages. He has a game breaking level of speed as well.

Both Hall and Seguin are good kids though. Maybe they'll be able to meet in the SCF some day ala Magic/Bird :)

Kevin Malone

Jul 3, 2009
This is simply a no win argument on either side because as you say that if Hall played as much as Sequin he'd have a phenominal # of points where the counter argument is that if Seguin was playing with a whole host of great players including 2 of the top puck moving d-men he's have way more points. There is simply no way to prove how each player would produce in the other role.

Ice time and opportunity vs way better team mates and less ice time. Impossible to reasonably project either way unless a person has made up their mind and is trying to prove a point.

That argument simply doesn't wash with me.

Hall has produced no matter who he has played with. Anyone who has watched his career knows that he creates a good amount of chances by himself. Hall's production is directly correlated with ice time. Meaning no matter who he plays with or against the kid produces plain and simple. Halls production has always gone up in the playoffs because he gets more ice time even though he is playing against tougher competition. After watching him for the past three years I know this for a fact.

I don't care if the arguement doesn't wash with you. I have seen players go through Londons system and put up ridiculous points because Dale Hunter plays the heck out of his top players, similar to Plymouth. The best players in the CHL will put up more points with more ice time. I am sorry if you can not grasp this.

Clownpipe*

Aside from the 2nd GA, Hall was fantastic tonight. Maybe the best I've seen him this year. Nice snipe, blocking shots, skating well, starting the transition game, physically involved, work along the boards, etc. Then to start the 3rd...the little block and backhand 5-hole breakaway move which he seems to do all the time. Good stuff. I've seen quite a few multi-point games out of Hall where I haven't been blown away, but tonight was a dominant 60 min performance from Hall. Fantastic stuff.

Nice bounce back from Calgary too, they definitely had their chances. I hope these teams meet in the finals. The score ran away at the end, but this was a very good game.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I'd say he plays like a Rick Nash. I think that's the player that fits his style the best IMO.

Nah... Glenn Anderson fits best. He isn't really all the physical, but he plays with a real reckless abandon and drive to the net.

The twos games are nearly identical, just from different era's. Blazing speed, great hockey sense, fairly good sense, awesome hands, reckless style of play, and a knack for the net.

For those of you who have seen a fair amount of Taylor Hall, take a look at that video. It is eery how similar they are... I even think their career numbers will be similar: 1129 Games, 498 Goals, 601 Assists, 1099 Points, and 1120 PIMs.

...Although i doubt Hall will have that many PIMs.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
I've heard him being compared to a poor man's Ovie. He won't be as good as the great 8 but he'll still kick ass

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
How does Hall compare to Stamkos?

It seems like he has more pre-draft hype.... more pedigree. He may not play Centre as well, but perhaps we will be more of an impact player?

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
I like iCanada's comparison

I hate how every year the same comparisons are thrown around by scouts like every year there seems to be a Yzerman or a Sakic
and every defense man is Pronger or Lidstrom. Like honestly use a big of creativity

CamDegs13

Nose Face Killah
Feb 9, 2007
UMass
twitter.com
How does Hall compare to Stamkos?

It seems like he has more pre-draft hype.... more pedigree. He may not play Centre as well, but perhaps we will be more of an impact player?

Based on Peter Chiarelli's quotes regarding the two players, Seguin is more of a comparison to Stamkos than Hall is.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
Interesting take on that one. I always thought Edmonton fans were waiting for the complimentary playmaker to put Hemsky at 40-50 goal status.

Hemsky is a play maker not a goal scorer... Any Oiler fans who claim that aren't very smart :shakehead

WheatiesHockey

Dec 19, 2006
Based on the best CHL draft eligible player available this year Taylor Hall will probably get the nod.
Drafting well is both art and science and not an easy one at that. Teams looking at Hall have to project how well he will perform and transition to the pro level of hockey.
Robbie Schremp created quite the buzz back a few years ago. Fourth line goons and AHL call ups have more career points than Schremp.
Hall is a good player at the junior level, but have to add the qualifier that pro will be much different.
Edmonton due to their worst season in 30 years and the lottery ball system gets first pick.
The Oilers are not tipping their hat about who they will take with their first overall pick.
Nice to think that Hall will go number one overall, but it is a bit of a booby prize. Calling the Oilers inept is being polite. Be careful about what you wish for as the old Chinese proverb goes.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
I can't wait for Seguin to wear a Bruins jersey.

It's amazing how much disrespect he's getting in this thread.
Agreed. Hall is probably going to be #1 but Seguin could have a better season than him next year, just like Duchene was generally the better all around guy this year in comparison to Tavares.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Power, speed and drive. I'd say Ovie-light or Glenn Anderson with a bit more strength. Modano might be another comparison, although Hall might have a bit more aggresion to his game. Nathan Horton with an extra gear is another way to look at him.

Nash probably has a bit more pure Dangle to his game - same with Bure.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Nah... Glenn Anderson fits best. He isn't really all the physical, but he plays with a real reckless abandon and drive to the net.

The twos games are nearly identical, just from different era's. Blazing speed, great hockey sense, fairly good sense, awesome hands, reckless style of play, and a knack for the net.

For those of you who have seen a fair amount of Taylor Hall, take a look at that video. It is eery how similar they are... I even think their career numbers will be similar: 1129 Games, 498 Goals, 601 Assists, 1099 Points, and 1120 PIMs.

...Although i doubt Hall will have that many PIMs.

I like this one of all the ones I've heard. I heard someone say Modano the other day, but I think Modano was more of a perimeter player than Hall.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He in no way worded that Seguin was that kind of player or in that category... You did not read his response properly and formed an opinion of a response that was never there. He simply said Hall is more of a sure thing based on what he HAS DONE, rather then Seguin being touted for what he could do... He furthered the pointing hoping the Oilers would have learned from the past draft picks that have been made on the assumption the player would be more..

He did put him that category or else why did he mention those players at all? He did NOT say Seguin was crap like Ninniimkai, or Pouliot. He DID indicate that picking Seguin was going to be based on future potential and certainly by the tone and players he mentioned dubious future potential. The gist of the post was pretty clear the way it was worded. Hall = great player now, Seguin = maybe a great player in the future and in my mind that just doesn't wash. They are 1 and 1A a couple of the closer choices in recent draft history.

There is zero problem having the opinion that Hall is and should be the pick but to say that Seguin is just a projection pick is flat out wrong in my opinion.

Bugg is one of the more respected forum members of that there is no doubt but in this case, as I said before he either worded his intent wrong or in my opinion is just flat out wrong.

Boilers*

Agreed. Hall is probably going to be #1 but Seguin could have a better season than him next year, just like Duchene was generally the better all around guy this year in comparison to Tavares.

What? Yeah, Duchene had one more point on a playoff team, yay that really proves something.

Boilers*

Bugg is one of the more respected forum members of that there is no doubt but in this case, as I said before he either worded his intent wrong or in my opinion is just flat out wrong.

Or as everyone else here asserts, you simply read it the wrong way.

Orwell1984

Feb 10, 2009
I'm probably a little older than most who post here:laugh:, but Mike Gartner seems like a great fit.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
What? Yeah, Duchene had one more point on a playoff team, yay that really proves something.

Duchene was the better player this year...anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. Sure, he "only" beat him by one point...but Duchene also didn't disappear for a massive stretch during the season, and earned a Calder nomination.

Tavares had a very good year too, on a much worse team. Duchene was simply better, this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad