LW Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS Turku, Liiga (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Just reminding everyone that he scored 17 points in 49 games in Liiga last season, so I think the most logical thing to do is to let him work on his offensive game in AHL.
Exactly, it really makes no sense why people are surprised he needs more time. Maybe if he was more dominant in Liiga I'd understand.

Jul 6, 2016
Habs aimed at the fence with the Slaf's pick. It's gonna be a home run or just a long fly ball. Wright was the safest pick to make. Future will tell if they had made a huge mistake or a huge hit.

As a Habs fan, I saw many, many huge mistakes at the draft table thru the years.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You think that poster is Ian Moran?
That guy also ripped Stutzle called the DEL a beer league and said Amirov is a superior prospect. He sucks.

It’s so annoying how people make harsh and firm judgements on him (good or bad) after one exhibition game. It’s such a clear sign that those people lack the ability to reason
Bingo. He needs time he is a big player, the Slafkovsky hot takes are just too much. This past draft simply didnt have very many elite talents at the top end. He has the highest upside but he isnt getting there over night.

Reactions: Xirik

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Pretty obvious when you watched the top guys last year. His package is tantalizing but its going to take time.
I dont think its obvious whatsoever. I think if you even polled this forum a majority of people wouldnt list him as the highest ceiling.

Ceiling is like impossible to argue because if he doesnt reach whatever ceiling then you can always just say "oh well he didnt reach his ceiling." But if you asked most people who will be the best player from the draft, Slafkovsky or the field, I dont think many people take Slafkovsky.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I dont think its obvious whatsoever. I think if you even polled this forum a majority of people wouldnt list him as the highest ceiling.

Ceiling is like impossible to argue because if he doesnt reach whatever ceiling then you can always just say "oh well he didnt reach his ceiling." But if you asked most people who will be the best player from the draft, Slafkovsky or the field, I dont think many people take Slafkovsky.
Well most of this forum didnt watch him or Wright. It was blatantly obvious when discussing the players leading up to the draft. There was a reason he went first. The real professionals were watching. There was a reason Wright dropped to 4th too. Frankly most people that post here cant identify prospects based on viewings, they only look at statistics.

Secondly big players that are 18 rarely come in and dominate the league. There are hardly any, Thornton, Lecavalier etc likely shouldnt have even been in the league at 18. Why posters dont understand that is a little mind boggling.

Reactions: 1909

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Well most of this forum didnt watch him or Wright. It was blatantly obvious when discussing the players leading up to the draft. There was a reason he went first. The real professionals were watching. There was a reason Wright dropped to 4th too. Frankly most people that post here cant identify prospects based on viewings, they only look at statistics.
Even setting aside the fact that scouts can make mistakes. One team picked him first. Other teams could easily have had anyone else, not just Wright, above him. The rationale for picking him first was not disclosed. So even Montreal could have thought that, say Nemec had a higher ceiling, but was less likely to reach it. I understand you believe in him but I wouldnt call it obvious.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's most likely he starys with the team but a good season would be between 35-45 points as a rookie.

He isn't a world beater 1st overall. We have to remember in most drafts he was probably going in the 2-4 range. Many of those start in the NHL but aren't super productive in D+1

If he plays a full season, 30-35 seems more likely. Could be lower than that.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Even setting aside the fact that scouts can make mistakes. One team picked him first. Other teams could easily have had anyone else, not just Wright, above him. The rationale for picking him first was not disclosed. So even Montreal could have thought that, say Nemec had a higher ceiling, but was less likely to reach it. I understand you believe in him but I wouldnt call it obvious.
They can make mistakes but they would make a far more educated guess than a poster from a random message board. Especially ones that for the most part didnt play the sport or were exposed to it at an elite level one way or another.

The rational for picking the player is pretty obvious. His skillset and package is very unique, his size, skating puck handling and play against men was equally as impressive. Better than his stats would suggest. Historically its very rare, so yes compared to Nemec, Cooley and Wright I do believe it was obvious. I think Montreal could have taken a D man it was more of a need. But they went for the player with the largest upside.

Reactions: 1909

Berri UQAM

Apr 15, 2022
The big boy needs to work on his conditioning, and I hope that he is going easy on the poutine, which he has tried "a couple of times." It's the kind of thing that some people regretfully say when they realize that they are hooked and there's no going back to the pre-poutine days of athletic excellence.

Last edited:

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
It's most likely he starys with the team but a good season would be between 35-45 points as a rookie.

He isn't a world beater 1st overall. We have to remember in most drafts he was probably going in the 2-4 range. Many of those start in the NHL but aren't super productive in D+1
He shouldn't be in the NHL this year, but if he is he's sure as **** not going to get 35-45 points. 20 - 25 is more realistic. IMO no one from this years draft belongs in the NHL this season, so I don't mean this as a slight, like all the other top players this year he still has a lot to work on before he's NHL ready.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Not the most explosive skater but he understands the flow of the game and follows the pace quite easily.

He was pretty good at generating offense from the boards in international competition, didn't see that in his first game. He won some battles, lost some. His physique didn't seem the deter NHL caliber defensemen.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
If he plays a full season, 30-35 seems more likely. Could be lower than that.

He shouldn't be in the NHL this year, but if he is he's sure as **** not going to get 35-45 points. 20 - 25 is more realistic. IMO no one from this years draft belongs in the NHL this season, so I don't mean this as a slight, like all the other top players this year he still has a lot to work on before he's NHL ready.

I said 35-45 would be good ffs.

I didn't say he would get it. If he looks like he'll get under 30 after his 9 games then he should go to laval.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Devils would have taken Slafkovsky at 2 if he was available. Re : Resch. Idk for Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad