LW Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS Turku, Liiga (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
My gut feeling is that Arizona would have taken Cooley first overall
Think he was the only potential 1st overall player that said he would be happy to play in Arizona.

Seattle having to choose between Slafkovsky and Wright would have been interesting. Having a 1-2 center depth is nice but a Benier/Slaf line also sounds mighty sexy.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I dont think its obvious whatsoever. I think if you even polled this forum a majority of people wouldnt list him as the highest ceiling.

Ceiling is like impossible to argue because if he doesnt reach whatever ceiling then you can always just say "oh well he didnt reach his ceiling." But if you asked most people who will be the best player from the draft, Slafkovsky or the field, I dont think many people take Slafkovsky.
That's not how it works, it's who they'd rather have to be agaisnt the field other then Slaf.... i mean every other year a player outside the 1st overall ends up better

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
His skillset is very impressive. This guy with a good development, he is going to be a beast. Happy that Habs pick him 1st overall, he have great tools.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
A bit funny seeing the parallels and double standards in Habs view and treatment of a young Kotkaniemi and Slaf

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
I REALLY Hope MTL doesn’t rush this kid. Maybe give him the 9 game audition but I know the team is notorious for rushing their player.
Montreal has a new managment team so I don't expect the same mistakes as before. Most Habs fans expect him to start the season in the AHL and that would be the good choice, he seems like a kid who's eager to learn and he learns fast.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Montreal has a new managment team so I don't expect the same mistakes as before. Most Habs fans expect him to start the season in the AHL and that would be the good choice, he seems like a kid who's eager to learn and he learns fast.
Agreed and that‘s the silver lining. St. Louis seems to not only understand the politics of the sport but also how to handle young players since he knew how he was treated as a young player.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
A bit funny seeing the parallels and double standards in Habs view and treatment of a young Kotkaniemi and Slaf

I think it's fair to ask if these were the best players to pick at their respective draft positions. It's not a knock on the players, but rather the people making the selections.

If Kotkaniemi was picked later in round 1, I don't think you'd be upset with a 3rd line player. Slafkovsky looks like he'll be an NHLer, don't think many are calling him a bust unless they're joking or trolling. But if he can't grow into a top 6 role down the road the pick looks terrible.

• Haha
Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Nothing special to this point. Pretty clearly not close to an NHL player. Likely a few years away. This could be an awful pick if he becomes a 60 point winger and Wright goes on to be a franchise player

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011
@HockeyVirus Great assessment after 2 preseason games 🙄👍 Insightful! Who cares how he looks in comparison to Wright.. give the kid time.. he needs to gain confidence, learn how to time the smaller ice, and adapt to new coaches/teammates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelly and HOCK3Y

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I wouldnt read to much into a few preseason games. So far he looks like an average 1st round pick but that can change as soon as his next game. He needs time and there's nothing wrong with that.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I do think he had a poor game tonight - regularly out of position, looked slow, seemed outclassed by the many AHLers on the ice. But it was just one preseason game, and he's adjusting to the smaller ice. I won't read too much into it, a weaker performance, but it's just one pre-season game.

If, after the full pre-season and training camp, he's not looking NHL ready, hopefully the Habs don't hesitate to send him to the AHL or elsewhere for seasoning. Montreal is one of the last places where you'd want to rush a prospect, he'd get ripped on hard by Habs fans/media if he plays in the NHL before he's ready.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelly and Wats

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Nothing special to this point. Pretty clearly not close to an NHL player. Likely a few years away. This could be an awful pick if he becomes a 60 point winger and Wright goes on to be a franchise player

I watched Shane Wright last night and he looks noticeably quicker and more energetic compared to last year but also equally if not further away from being an NHL star than Slaf is.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I do think he had a poor game tonight - regularly out of position, looked slow, seemed outclassed by the many AHLers on the ice. But it was just one preseason game, and he's adjusting to the smaller ice. I won't read too much into it, a weaker performance, but it's just one pre-season game.

If, after the full pre-season and training camp, he's not looking NHL ready, hopefully the Habs don't hesitate to send him to the AHL or elsewhere for seasoning. Montreal is one of the last places where you'd want to rush a prospect, he'd get ripped on hard by Habs fans/media if he plays in the NHL before he's ready.
I didn't see the game, just box score watching, but at least he had 4 shots. There may be something to be said for a young player having a bad game but still getting pucks to the net.

That said I wasn't that high on him - he was 6th on my final list.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I didn't see the game, just box score watching, but at least he had 4 shots. There may be something to be said for a young player having a bad game but still getting pucks to the net.

I was at the game. He was unnoticeable, in a bad way. The shots were just from flinging low-percentage shots on net.

It's fine. He's raw and needs more development. Montreal should leave him in Laval for the season.

people are getting down on him after not doing great when he was on a line with Pitlick and Armia?

Yeah, but the Leafs didn't exactly dress a veteran-heavy group either, and they ended up with two forwards playing defense.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

What was your final final list?

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I was at the game. He was unnoticeable, in a bad way. The shots were just from flinging low-percentage shots on net.

It's fine. He's raw and needs more development. Montreal should leave him in Laval for the season.

Yeah, but the Leafs didn't exactly dress a veteran-heavy group either, and they ended up with two forwards playing defense.
Neither side did, there was no flow in the game, honestly if I wasn't hacking a lung up from this flu I had I probably would've gone for a walk.

I'll be more interested in how Camp progresses but he seems to like coming in from the top left point on the PP which fits well with our team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad