LW Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS Turku, Liiga (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I respect the boldness of this ranking.

Would you mind elaborating on why you are so high on Casey?
Elite skating, escapability, and processing speed. Excellent transition game, puck skills, and defensive positioning and awareness.

even the jets weren't that high on lambert. they had him at 15 at least.
I know it's controversial, but I have to stick to my guns.

Reactions: gifted88

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Do you think he might have to drop some weight? Being close to 240 might be a problem when it comes to quickness on a young player adapting to the speed of the game. I'd personally like to see him around 215-220, especially when jacked.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Do you think he might have to drop some weight? Being close to 240 might be a problem when it comes to quickness on a young player adapting to the speed of the game. I'd personally like to see him around 215-220, especially when jacked.
Nothing to do with his weight. He simply doesn't make any decisions worth a damn.

As soon as he gets the puck, he's looking to pass it without taking into consideration that the guy has no reasonable shot. He doesn't fight for possession, he doesn't fight to get open, he doesn't know what to do defensivly.

He's got the tools but he's having vision and hockey sense problems.

So far...

Last edited:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
What a poor idea to not draft Cooley as the 1st. This draft is like 2017, Slaf/Wright are Hischier/Patrick and the smart team gets Makar/Cooley. Take the guy with upside FFS.
I'm sorry? What has Cooley done to show that he is better then Those two? Also putting Hischier and Patricks name together is lunacy.

Hischier is the 2nd best player of that draft, Makar while great now was seen as a risky pick back then. Colorado was at the end of their rebuild at that time which allowed them to go for the more risky choice. Always go for the Upside? Good thing you aren't a GM because your team would be filled with Byfield, Kotkaniemi, and Zadina,

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
1 thing I wonder is, should Slaf had stayed in Finland for this season? Way less media and fan pressure. Familiar environment, coach and teammates. Could just focus on hockey and not have to deal with all the "noise".

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
1 thing I wonder is, should Slaf had stayed in Finland for this season? Way less media and fan pressure. Familiar environment, coach and teammates. Could just focus on hockey and not have to deal with all the "noise".
He meeds to develop vision at NHL level/speed and the closest thing is AHL.

He doesn't need to dominate some 2 bit league.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
He meeds to develop vision at NHL level/speed and the closest thing is AHL.

He doesn't need to dominate some 2 bit league.
He wasn't close to dominating that "two bit league" last year - what's going to magically change?

I expect the habs to put him in the AHL where he'll probably struggle to produce offence. The ideal spot for him is probably the OHL where he has a chance to establish some offensive dominance. Even that might be a stretch though.

Reactions: ReimanSum1908

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Overseas might be better than AHL but seems that we are intent in keeping him in NA , way of the road I suppose , big market big expectations at where he was picked organization wants him to be close by I can understand that somewhat.
He's not going to play in the OHL that's for sure

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
its fairly simple which is the best place for him to play.
Option
A. Go back to a place where the habs have no control over his development and is known to be a more "defense first" style league
B. Send him to a place where they do have control on how he develops and would allow him to get used to the NA/NHL style.

Pretty obvious where he should be. The OHL would also be a terrible option as he would be the adult playing against kids. He wouldn't gain anything from such an experience.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
  1. Cooley
  2. Lambert
  3. Savoie
  4. Casey
  5. Wright
  6. Slafkovsky
  7. Jiricek
  8. Nemec
  9. Gauthier
  10. Yurov

I applaud the unique and original take. Most people just form their lists based on what everyone else is saying. As wild as your list might look, who knows what happens when it's all said and done. They are all years away from hitting their potential/prime.

Personally I still have Wright and Slaf as my 1-2. The possibility of not reaching their potential is ofcourse always there, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think draft order, few training and pre-season games or even couple of regular season games should change much.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Nothing to do with his weight. He simply doesn't make any decisions worth a damn.

As soon as he gets the puck, he's looking to pass it without taking into consideration that the guy has no reasonable shot. He doesn't fight for possession, he doesn't fight to get open, he doesn't know what to do defensivly.

He's got the tools but he's having vision and hockey sense problems.

So far...
I'm more referring to the "looks slow" comments.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
its fairly simple which is the best place for him to play.
Option
A. Go back to a place where the habs have no control over his development and is known to be a more "defense first" style league
B. Send him to a place where they do have control on how he develops and would allow him to get used to the NA/NHL style.

Pretty obvious where he should be. The OHL would also be a terrible option as he would be the adult playing against kids. He wouldn't gain anything from such an experience.
Not allowed to steal my brain!!

Slaf has hockey vision problems that need to be improved at NHL level, not some kids league or secomd rate league.

He needs a "teaching" center with tons of "if-then" to learn how to see his teamates and opportunities.

Unfortunatly, this is going to be harder then improving skating or shooting. The vision he requires has to be baked into a reflex level. That's years of training....IF he's got the mental capacity.

I play right defense and remember Komi lack of defensive vision at the AHL Llevel. He never learned it despite years of re-training. Why? Because he started playing at 11 and never learned it at the core, instinct level.

Hope this is not the case with Slaf...

Reactions: Ippenator and Xirik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad