LW Juraj Slafkovsky (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yakupov had 31 points in 48 games as a rookie, Kotkaniemi looked like an nhl regular at 18.

your point is?

Have a good posting career.
With an insane shooting percentage that was impossible to keep going in a shortened season

Not a 1st overall pick and is still an NHL player today

Not great points but keep it going.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
We got spoiled with a few drafts featuring the likes of McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Laine, etc back before 2017, who all made almost immediate impacts in the NHL. Ever since then, these were the top two picks of each draft:

-Hischier
-Patrick
-Dahlin
-Svechnikov
-Hughes
-Kakko
-Lafreniere
-Byfield
-Power
-Beniers

Out of all these top two picks over the last 5-6 years, almost none of them made an immediate impact in the NHL, and most of them have taken years to finally develop into their draft pedigree (specifically Hischier, Dahlin, Hughes). Guys like Byfield, Lafreniere, Kakko still haven't found their way. Just because there are a few from each draft that made quick impacts, it does not mean we need to make hasty conclusions about those higher up in the draft. Not too long ago, almost everyone thought Jack Hughes was a bust... now he's regarded very highly.

This doesn't apply only to Slaf, but to Wright, Cooley, Nemec... and also Power, Beniers, McTavish. Don't be surprised if they don't light up the league in their rookie seasons. Development is not a sprint.
Lmao Dahlin had 44 points as an 18 year old NHL defenseman.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Tage Thompson wasn't a 1st overall pick though. You expect the first overall pick to not have to work on much.

Can you give me any players in this years draft that could of went 1st overall instead of Slaf that doesn't have much to work on? If you can, your post might have some merit, but from this years draft ? Not so much. All of them need work. It's a little unfortunate for MTL ( If it ever really could be) to end up with the #1 pick in such a draft, but all things considered I think the habs did quite well. I for one am quite happy with the pick. He's got such intriguing updide. I'm looking forward to watch his growth.

Last edited:

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
many people are comparing #1 picks in recent years and consider Slaf being not worthy the pick, but the thing is, 2022 draft pool was not really great so by that logic, it seems that nobody is worth to be #1 at the moment. Noone really stands out. Maybe it will change in the future and we will see a proper superstars becoming from this draft. Maybe Slaf will be one of them, maybe not. We will see

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
many people are comparing #1 picks in recent years and consider Slaf being not worthy the pick, but the thing is, 2022 draft pool was not really great so by that logic, it seems that nobody is worth to be #1 at the moment. Noone really stands out. Maybe it will change in the future and we will see a proper superstars becoming from this draft. Maybe Slaf will be one of them, maybe not. We will see
Right, people are here saying "wow this kid is nothing like McDavid/Matthews/MacKinnon" and "1st picks should be ready immediately" as of there was some other imaginary player in the draft they passed on who possessed these skills

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
When your example is a guy drafted in 1997 and we’re in the year 2022… you might not have a point.

Go through the list of 1st overall picks and yes it’s extremely rare.

Power doesn’t count because HE chose not to play because he never got the college experience because of Covid. He would have absolutely been on the opening night roster and based on his 8 game sample at the end of the year would have made a decent impact as a top 4D.

It doesn’t mean Slaf is a bust but it’s far from a good sign if he’s not ready. Especially when he has the body of a 30 year old.
Not sure if you knew this, but Owen Power said himself he consulted with Buffalo before deciding on going back to college because he believed he needed "more development". I mean, if a first overall pick himself, and the team that drafted him, agree that another year of development could benefit the player, why are you here telling us otherwise, or worse, actually argue it could've been better for him?

So yeah.... Power counts. So does Lafreniere, so does Jack Hughes. Literally the last three drafts support my point, and then factoring in the fact that these physically large prospects take more time to develop generally (looking at you, Quinton Byfield) I see no reason to actually debate that being patient with development is good. Hell, dude, we have barely played a few games into preseason, don't you think it's a bit silly to make these kind of comments? Most Habs fans WANT the team to be patient with this guy, maybe send him down for development similar to what Owen Power and the Sabres decided... that should tell you something.

Lmao Dahlin had 44 points as an 18 year old NHL defenseman.
Gotta love when people cherry-pick one sentence like this. Missed the mark all around.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Not sure if you knew this, but Owen Power said himself he consulted with Buffalo before deciding on going back to college because he believed he needed "more development". I mean, if a first overall pick himself, and the team that drafted him, agree that another year of development could benefit the player, why are you here telling us otherwise, or worse, actually argue it could've been better for him?

So yeah.... Power counts. So does Lafreniere, so does Jack Hughes. Literally the last three drafts support my point, and then factoring in the fact that these physically large prospects take more time to develop generally (looking at you, Quinton Byfield) I see no reason to actually debate that being patient with development is good. Hell, dude, we have barely played a few games into preseason, don't you think it's a bit silly to make these kind of comments? Most Habs fans WANT the team to be patient with this guy, maybe send him down for development similar to what Owen Power and the Sabres decided... that should tell you something.

Gotta love when people cherry-pick one sentence like this. Missed the mark all around.
Yes he needed more development time because he had barely played hockey due to Covid… hence the wanting to go back to college.

Hughes of course needed more time because he had the body of your average 14 year old boy.

Let’s go through the list shall we:
Lafreniere: still TBD, sucked at first
Hughes: sucked at first because he’s a child and is now a star
Dahlin: 44pts setting records as an 18yo
Hischier: 50+pts
Matthews: amazing
McDavid: amazing
Ekblad: amazing
Mackinnon: amazing
Yakupov: actually amazing at first then sucked ass
RNH: amazing
Hall: great
Tavares: great
Stamkos: great
Kabe: great

As I said, very rare for a player to not be NHL ready and make at least some kind of impact right away after being drafted 1st overall. The list doesn’t get any better the more you go down.

Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Yes he needed more development time because he had barely played hockey due to Covid… hence the wanting to go back to college.

Hughes of course needed more time because he had the body of your average 14 year old boy.
You... you realize COVID affected Slafkovsky and all the other prospects of the last few years just as much.... you understand that right? I feel like it's getting clear now that you're just grasping at straws with a lot of your points. Every single player I mention, you are making an excuse for.

I already listed the top two picks of each draft from the last 5-6 years earlier in the thread (makes sense since this is a weaker draft, Slafkovsky could easily have been 2nd or 3rd instead in many of these drafts), you responded to it by making excuses for each player who has struggled/not broken out yet. Almost like you're holding Slafkovsky to a different standard than Nolan Patrick, Alexis Lafreniere, Jack Hughes, Quinton Byfield, Owen Power, Matty Beniers, Kappo Kakko... the list goes on. And that's just the last few years.

I am curious why you're so passionate to argue against the notion of "be patient with prospects" while making excuses each step of the way. Let alone you keep throwing around the term "red flag" before a real NHL game has even been played...

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You... you realize COVID affected Slafkovsky and all the other prospects of the last few years just as much.... you understand that right? I feel like it's getting clear now that you're just grasping at straws with a lot of your points. Every single player I mention, you are making an excuse for.

I already listed the top two picks of each draft from the last 5-6 years earlier in the thread (makes sense since this is a weaker draft, Slafkovsky could easily have been 2nd or 3rd instead in many of these drafts), you responded to it by making excuses for each player who has struggled/not broken out yet. Almost like you're holding Slafkovsky to a different standard than Nolan Patrick, Alexis Lafreniere, Jack Hughes, Quinton Byfield, Owen Power, Matty Beniers, Kappo Kakko... the list goes on. And that's just the last few years.

I am curious why you're so passionate to argue against the notion of "be patient with prospects" while making excuses each step of the way. Let alone you keep throwing around the term "red flag" before a real NHL game has even been played...
Would you like me to keep going down the list and show how many 1st overall picks didn’t succeed right away? Hint:it’s very few

How many games did Slaf miss in his draft year because of Covid?

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Would you like me to keep going down the list and show how many 1st overall picks didn’t succeed right away? Hint:it’s very few

How many games did Slaf miss in his draft year because of Covid?
Hint: Owen Power played more hockey in 2020-21 than Juraj Slafkovsky did, and you used that year as the excuse why Owen Power had to go back to college. Funny how the standards change depending who we are talking about.

Do you... not understand why that is?
Judging by his post history and the amount of time he has spent on the Habs board over topics like Wright and Mailloux, I have an inkling at this point it is not actually about Slafkovsky.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I think it's probably because he wear no shoe shine and he got toe jam football

• Haha
Reactions: JohnLennon

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
I was skeptical of the pick as well, but maybe we should wait for NHL games to be played?
Unless you're comparing their first pre-season stats, this is a useless debate.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I think everyone can see the potential, the flashes of him being a monster is there. Hope they send him down to AHL where he can grow his game with the Habs' other top prospects.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
When your example is a guy drafted in 1997 and we’re in the year 2022… you might not have a point.

Go through the list of 1st overall picks and yes it’s extremely rare.

Power doesn’t count because HE chose not to play because he never got the college experience because of Covid. He would have absolutely been on the opening night roster and based on his 8 game sample at the end of the year would have made a decent impact as a top 4D.

It doesn’t mean Slaf is a bust but it’s far from a good sign if he’s not ready. Especially when he has the body of a 30 year old.
He doesn’t have the body of a 30 year old, he very much has the body of an 18 year old. His size isn’t a immediate ticket to the NHL, I don’t know why people think that.

People compare him with other larger skilled forwards but he was listed as 229 at the draft and now it’s 238.

That’s actually uncharted territory for size in a top pick, and I’m not a kinesthesiologist, but I don’t see how he could have the core strength at his age to move that much mass around fast enough to keep up with the speed of the NHL game.

People (clearly) might not have the patience for it but he’s probably going to need a couple years to get stronger.

1st OA often hit fast because many elite skills (goal scoring, skating, hockey IQ) are already firing. “Bigger players take longer” isn’t a myth though, core strength peaks at 25 in males, and Slafkovsky still needs more of it.

Martinez89

May 20, 2019

Let’s go through the list shall we:
Lafreniere: still TBD, sucked at first
Hughes: sucked at first because he’s a child and is now a star
Dahlin: 44pts setting records as an 18yo
Hischier: 50+pts
Matthews: amazing
McDavid: amazing
Ekblad: amazing
Mackinnon: amazing
Yakupov: actually amazing at first then sucked ass
RNH: amazing
Hall: great
Tavares: great
Stamkos: great
Kabe: great

As I said, very rare for a player to not be NHL ready and make at least some kind of impact right away after being drafted 1st overall. The list doesn’t get any better the more you go down.
I don't quite understand why you need shitting on 18 y.o. superprospect... not my style but probably you have a good reason for that, sure. His 1 OA selection is fully deserved IMO, his draft season was the most extraordinary and when he´s on there is no better player in his draft class - that´s how usually draft works if you didn´t know.

You started with statistics, okay. I have no problem proven you wrong here. You´re saying the 1st overall player must be immediately impactful or so. That´s absolutely not true! Player development works much more differently and especially for bigger players. It´s extremely rare that big player (6"3 and more) is NHL ready at 18. You wanted the stats so let´s see. Here are the list of bigger players selected #1 or #2 in last 25 years...

Joe Thornton - 7 points in 55 games at 18
Vinny Lecavalier - 28P in 82GP at 18
Jason Spezza - OHL at 18 and then 21P in 33GP at 19
Rick Nash - 39P in 74GP at 18
Eric Staal - 31P in 81GP at 19
Evgeni Malkin - 32P in 52GP in KHL, then KHL again
Jordan Staal - 42P in 81GP at 18 but then only 28P in 82GP at 19
JVR - NCAA then NCAA again then 35P in 78GP at 20
Victor Hedman - first 4 years in NHL he was average D with about 20-25P per season
Aleksander Barkov - 24P in 54GP at 18 then 36P in 71GP at 19
Aaron Ekblad - 39P in 81GP at 18 but then only 21P in 68GP at 20...
Sam Reinhart - 1P in 9GP at 19
Leon Draisaitl (#3) - 9P in 37GP at 19
Auston Matthews - 69P in 82GP at 19
Patrik Laine - 64P in 73GP at 18
Nolan Patrick - 30P in 73GP at 19
Kaapo Kakko - 23P in 66GP at 18
Quinton Byfield - 1P in 6GP at 18
Owen Power - NCAA at 19

Is there anything more to be said here?

So please stop shitting on this kid, his talent is obvious and he needs a more time to develop it like 90% players from this list. No need to type nonsense like he must be a star at 18 from day 1 or similar shits.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
"Slaf looks bad"
"He doesn't look bad he's playing well"
"Not for a 1OA"
"Not all 1OA are ready at 18"
"Most 1OAs are ready at 18'
"He wasn't a normal 1OA, who else would we have picked?"

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

He trolls Habs threads. Weird obsession. I would pay no mind to what he's saying.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Hint: Owen Power played more hockey in 2020-21 than Juraj Slafkovsky did, and you used that year as the excuse why Owen Power had to go back to college. Funny how the standards change depending who we are talking about.

Judging by his post history and the amount of time he has spent on the Habs board over topics like Wright and Mailloux, I have an inkling at this point it is not actually about 36.
Slaf played 61 games in his a draft year across leagues and tournaments in his draft year

Power played 36 games under Covid restrictions in his draft year

Try again

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He doesn’t have the body of a 30 year old, he very much has the body of an 18 year old. His size isn’t a immediate ticket to the NHL, I don’t know why people think that.

People compare him with other larger skilled forwards but he was listed as 229 at the draft and now it’s 238.

That’s actually uncharted territory for size in a top pick, and I’m not a kinesthesiologist, but I don’t see how he could have the core strength at his age to move that much mass around fast enough to keep up with the speed of the NHL game.

People (clearly) might not have the patience for it but he’s probably going to need a couple years to get stronger.

1st OA often hit fast because many elite skills (goal scoring, skating, hockey IQ) are already firing. “Bigger players take longer” isn’t a myth though, core strength peaks at 25 in males, and Slafkovsky still needs more of it.
You know a ton of 240pound 18 year olds?

The average NHL player comes in just shy of 200pounds

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I don't quite understand why you need shitting on 18 y.o. superprospect... not my style but probably you have a good reason for that, sure. His 1 OA selection is fully deserved IMO, his draft season was the most extraordinary and when he´s on there is no better player in his draft class - that´s how usually draft works if you didn´t know.

You started with statistics, okay. I have no problem proven you wrong here. You´re saying the 1st overall player must be immediately impactful or so. That´s absolutely not true! Player development works much more differently and especially for bigger players. It´s extremely rare that big player (6"3 and more) is NHL ready at 18. You wanted the stats so let´s see. Here are the list of bigger players selected #1 or #2 in last 25 years...

Victor Hedman - first 4 years in NHL he was average D with about 20-25P per season
Owen Power - NCAA at 19

So please stop shitting on this kid, his talent is obvious and he needs a more time to develop it like 90% players from this list. No need to type nonsense like he must be a star at 18 from day 1 or similar shits.
Would you like me to now add the list of 1st and 2nd overall picks who DID make an impact?

Hint: it’s much, MUCH more common.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011

Owen Power - NCAA at 19

We might as well end the thread right here. Beautiful post.

To everyone else: we've established @nbwingsfan is trolling at this point, so please ignore.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He looked good tonight. Its like there is 2 x Slafs.
You know a ton of 240pound 18 year olds?

The average NHL player comes in just shy of 200pounds
He's not the average 18 year old. That was one of the reasons he was drafted 1 overall.

He needs time to develop. That includes physical / core strength and balance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad