LW Juraj Slafkovsky (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Draisaitl also looked meh in the NHL and did so for the first year.

Big guys need time
It varies. Matthews was a big guy for a high-pick forward and was 2nd in the league in goal scoring in year 1. Laine had a strong year 1. Lindros sat out a year but was an impact player the second he stepped on the ice. I'm not sure elite big guys have an atypical development curve in the modern NHL compared to different-sized players.

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It varies. Matthews was a big guy for a high-pick forward and was 2nd in the league in scoring in year 1. Laine had a strong year 1. Lindros sat out a year but was an impact player the second he stepped on the ice. I'm not sure elite big guys have an atypical development curve in the modern NHL compared to different-sized players.
And the Sedins, who were shrimps, took 7 years to become elite players. There is no official roadmap for player development.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
The hype around dahlin was insane though, to the point that a 44 pointv season from an 18 year old defenseman was "considered" disappointing.

He was talked about as the best defensive prospect in the past 40 years, people were expecting current cale makar play as a rookie.

That said, still a very good season for a #1 pick.
Lol come on dude. Your posts are usually pretty sound and rational, but I’m going to have to call you out here. People were not expecting an 86 point season from an 18 year old defenseman who had yet to play an NHL game. Christ 😂.

Reactions: majormajor

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Lol come on dude. Your posts are usually pretty sound and rational, but I’m going to have to call you out here. People were not expecting an 86 point season from an 18 year old defenseman who had yet to play an NHL game. Christ 😂.
You don't remember the hype. He was widely referred to the best defensive prospect since Denis Potvin in 1973. More highly touted than Bourque, Lidstrom, Pronger, Hedman were at the same age. The word "generational" was being thrown around at the time.

Karlsson, meanwhile, has already declared Dahlin a better player than he was at the same age. Comparing defensemen to forwards is not fair, but Dahlin's hockey sense rivals what Wayne Gretzky brought to the NHK. In other words, this is a player who will think the game two or three steps ahead of everyone else on the ice, which gives him a huge advantage.

We know that a generational defenseman will go No. 1 to the team with the previous year's worst record. That feels just about right. Hockey fans should be both excited and thankful that a player with such potential has arrived at a moment that has not seen his like in at least 45 years.

So, if we were talking about a generational forward, more highly touted than McDavid was, and he comes in the league and plays pretty good hockey and scores 73 points, people aren't going to be a little underwhelmed, even though a 73 point season by an 18 year old is amazingly good?

Last edited:

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC

Maybe not 86 points, but the hype was very real and I remember it well.

44 points straight out of the draft for a defenseman was really good but I think people sort of forgot about him, being that he was in Buffalo and you don't hear a lot about him.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I think that although 18 year old slafkovsky has shown his inconsistency in the NHL so far, the whole 2022 draft is littered with players through the whole draft who will end up being top10 talents when all said and done.

Slafkovsky has the highest dominance potential out of the whole draft with the best skill set and size. They drafted the right 1st overall and I believe time is 100% going to show us this.
Yeah, people are judging him on his first few meaningless exhibition games as a boy in a new country. He's getting better as training camp goes on, has shown concrete glimpses of what he's going to be, and will be a force in the future. The Rick Nash comparable is valid, and that's a guy who never had that #1 overall franchise defining player tag, but was still a great player who once led the league in goals.

He was the right pick this year at #1 and is going to be really, really, really good.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
And the Sedins, who were shrimps, took 7 years to become elite players. There is no official roadmap for player development.
Yeah, I feel big guys were held back in the clutch and grab era, especially lanky guys to start like Thornton and Lecavalier. No knock on Slafkovsky as I think at his draft date he was viewed as a project compared to some of the more ready made first overall picks (McDavid, Matthews, Tavares, etc).

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I think we’re going to be surprised with how ready out of the box Slaf is going to be.

Not to say he should be on an every day roster right now, but I think when real games are played those flashes are going to become more common.

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
You don't remember the hype. He was widely referred to the best defensive prospect since Denis Potvin in 1973. More highly touted than Bourque, Lidstrom, Pronger, Hedman were at the same age. The word "generational" was being thrown around at the time.

So, if we were talking about a generational forward, more highly touted than McDavid was, and he comes in the league and plays pretty good hockey and scores 73 points, people aren't going to be a little underwhelmed, even though a 73 point season by an 18 year old is amazingly good?

No. People would not have been a little underwhelmed by an 18 year old defenseman scoring 73 points. The hype was enormous but the situation would not have been close to people being underwhelmed. It would’ve blown away the hockey world despite the hype. Also, I disagree the hype was at McDavid level (the selected quotes in question does not mean that was the case overall).

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
No. People would not have been a little underwhelmed by an 18 year old defenseman scoring 73 points. The hype was enormous but the situation would not have been close to people being underwhelmed. It would’ve blown away the hockey world despite the hype. Also, I disagree the hype was at McDavid level.
An 18 year old "generational" forward scoring 73 points. Not a defenseman. I was simply trying to illustrate the expectations and delusions that a "generational" title has on a player.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Yeah, people are judging him on his first few meaningless exhibition games as a boy in a new country. He's getting better as training camp goes on, has shown concrete glimpses of what he's going to be, and will be a force in the future. The Rick Nash comparable is valid, and that's a guy who never had that #1 overall franchise defining player tag, but was still a great player who once led the league in goals.

He was the right pick this year at #1 and is going to be really, really, really good.
nice post. I would add he's having early challenges with the rink size and his timing. he's a big, talented kid; he'll make the adjustments

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Give him a few games so he can see what he needs to work on and then send him down to play big minutes in the minors. He’s got lots of talent but needs to be developed properly if he’s ever going to reach his potential.
No need to rush him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad