Salary Cap: Losing RFA's due to cap space

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Why the hell not?

If you are going to say it is how he acts....then we need to look no further then Dion and how he acted under Carlyle...what a difference.
I don't like him and wouldn't want him on a team I cheer for.

sorry if that doesn't sit well with you

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Read the cap might rise to $70+m next offseason, and Leafs will have $2.5 million in cap space with the Tucker/Army buyouts and Frattin/Scrivens retained salaries coming off the books. And there's also the possibility Rielly makes Liles redundant in a season or two.. Not worried.

The Hockey Life

Feb 27, 2011
Leafs Nation
You should care, because Clarkson isn't going anywhere because he was just signed days ago. Therefore is a part of Nonis team build plan going forward.

So its not an either\or scenario between Clarkson or JVR as to who is going in trade.

Its either trade JVR or trade neither as available scenarios for Nonis to decide upon.. Your personal preference is a NOT a valid option.

In which i`m saying trade neither. I am not saying trade Clarkson, but the fact that people think just because he signed a contract he is more valuable to this team than JvR is astounding.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
If we lose one of Gunnarsson, Franson or Kadri. This front office needs to be fired, PERIOD.

That's inexcusable. Those were the 3 biggest priorities for this offseason.

This is why I'm *** pissed at the Bozak/Clarkson signings. 10 mil in cap space to sign these 3 (+ Colborne). If we lose any of those 4, Nonis deserves to get canned.

He shat the bed when it came to retaining these guys. Every-time I think about the existing cap situation, I get more pissed.

And don't think for a minute that Liles is moveable, he already would have been if that were the case. Not to mention there's a severe shortage of teams that could even eat his salary in the first place.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
And don't think for a minute that Liles is moveable, he already would have been if that were the case. Not to mention there's a severe shortage of teams that could even eat his salary in the first place.

If Horcoff (5.5) was movable, and Striet could get 5.25 per on a 4 year 35+ contract, I think Liles is movable at under 4M.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
If Horcoff (5.5) was movable, and Striet could get 5.25 per on a 4 year 35+ contract, I think Liles is movable at under 4M.

Agreed. Worst case scenario we retain salary. I think trading Liles is inevitable now.

Here's what it would look like if we retain 25% of Liles' salary and give Gunnar 3M and Franson 4M:

FORWARDS
Joffrey Lupul ($5.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Nazem Kadri ($2.750m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
Jay McClement ($1.500m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m)
Frazer McLaren ($0.700m) / Joe Colborne ($0.850m) / Colton Orr ($0.925m)
Jerry D'Amigo ($1.083m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Carl Gunnarsson ($3.000m) / Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m)
Jake Gardiner ($1.117m) / Cody Franson ($4.000m)
Korbinian Holzer ($0.788m) / Mark Fraser ($0.850m)
Morgan Rielly ($1.744m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
James Reimer ($1.800m)
OTHER
Buyout: Darcy Tucker ($1.000m)
Buyout: Colby Armstrong ($1.000m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (2.284% of upper limit)
Matt Frattin ($0.437m—0.5%) Ben Scrivens ($0.062m—0.1%) John-Michael Liles ($0.969m—25.0%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,499,583; BONUSES: $1,362,500
CAP SPACE (19-man roster): $1,162,917

All in all it's doable. I think Liles is an easy trade if we retain salary.

Last edited:

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
In which i`m saying trade neither. I am not saying trade Clarkson, but the fact that people think just because he signed a contract he is more valuable to this team than JvR is astounding.

When you're talking to the rest of the NHL JVR is more valuable then Clarkson.

Therefore he brings more value in a trade.

Clarkson may be more valuable to us because he's locked up and less valuable to others because he is older but JVR's cap friendly contract and age make him the better trade chip to the other 29 NHL teams.

They're both valuable to us right now, but I think those saying JVR is the better trade chip are 100% correct.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I see no issue in signing those 4 for $10 mil.

I'm not understand some of the comments about Nonis should be fired not having no room to lock them up.

Franson and Gunnarson should get 2.5 each max. That's $5 for Kadri and Fraser. Fraser is a $1 mil or less player leaving a more then fair 3-3.5 mil for Kadri on a short term deal.

Go enjoy your summer and wait for your worst case scenario to happen instead of starting to fire people for what will never happen.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre

I'm not understand some of the comments about Nonis should be fired not having no room to lock them up.

Franson and Gunnarson should get 2.5 each max. That's $5 for Kadri and Fraser. Fraser is a $1 mil or less player leaving a more then fair 3-3.5 mil for Kadri on a short term deal.

Go enjoy your summer and wait for your worst case scenario to happen instead of starting to fire people for what will never happen.

I wish dude.

Gunnar and Franson will use the same tactics that Bozak used on Nonis.

The 'Look where I'm placed' Tactic. (Bozak placed on 1st line, 1st line money tactic)

Gunnar has been the #2 D-man for the leafs for a while now, and he is on the top pairing, plus produces alot at Even strength. He can use that as leverage to get a nifty raise.

Franson is on the 1st PP unit and has produced amazingly for a D-men. He can use that as leverage to get a nifty raise too.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Franson will be the biggest concern.

I've got no qualms of moving him out if he's asking 5X5 or even 4X5. He simply hasn't earned that yet, and we can't give that kind of money to our RFAs.

Kadri shouldn't be a problem, and I don't think Gunnarsson will be overpaid.

Fraser shouldn't get over $1M.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I wish dude.

The 'Look where I'm placed' Tactic. (Bozak placed on 1st line, 1st line money tactic)

Gunnar has been the #2 D-man for the leafs for a while now, and he is on the top pairing, plus produces alot at Even strength. He can use that as leverage to get a nifty raise.

Franson is on the 1st PP unit and has produced amazingly for a D-men. He can use that as leverage to get a nifty raise too.

Bozak was a UFA and the others are RFA. Why people think that Kadri is getting 3+ as with Gunnerson and Franson. If the Leafs had 20 million in space and they signed them to large overpaid contracts, people would be complaining Nonis over paid. If Nonis tries to get them without overpaying, people are mad because he can't overpay. You all need to make up your mind. If they all get what they SHOULD get, the Leafs will be fine and if they are asking for UFA contracts, the Leafs should walk away. After one full season what in the world do you think Kadri will get. He didn't win the Calder and Franson and Gunnerson didn't win the Norris.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I wish dude.

Come back when they sign. They'll get about $5 between them is my prediction.

Bozak didn't get 1st line money. $4.2 is not 1st line money in this league. So if anything he goes against your argument since his contract had more to do with where he should play rather then where he does play in the lineup.

Franson has produced amazingly? All depends on your definition of the word I guess.

The Hockey Life

Feb 27, 2011
Leafs Nation
When you're talking to the rest of the NHL JVR is more valuable then Clarkson.

Therefore he brings more value in a trade.

Clarkson may be more valuable to us because he's locked up and less valuable to others because he is older but JVR's cap friendly contract and age make him the better trade chip to the other 29 NHL teams.

They're both valuable to us right now, but I think those saying JVR is the better trade chip are 100% correct.

Thank you sir, for stating the complete obvious. As i`ve stated for the past 5 posts, Neither should be traded. Losing JvR and keeping Clarkson would be a completely dumb move.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Bozak was a UFA and the others are RFA. Why people think that Kadri is getting 3+ as with Gunnerson and Franson. If the Leafs had 20 million in space and they signed them to large overpaid contracts, people would be complaining Nonis over paid. If Nonis tries to get them without overpaying, people are mad because he can't overpay. You all need to make up your mind. If they all get what they SHOULD get, the Leafs will be fine and if they are asking for UFA contracts, the Leafs should walk away. After one full season what in the world do you think Kadri will get. He didn't win the Calder and Franson and Gunnerson didn't win the Norris.

Exactly. That sums it up rather well.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Thank you sir, for stating the complete obvious. As i`ve stated for the past 5 posts, Neither should be traded. Losing JvR and keeping Clarkson would be a completely dumb move.

Nobody is giving the guy away.

If we're talking to a team about a #1 center that fits into our team then JVR>Clarkson to that team.

Losing JVR and having Clarkson and a #1 center is better then having 2 good wingers.

Feb 24, 2004
Not you!

He has proven thus far to be able to manage the cap space in a very professional manner.

What does this even mean?

The fact is that we are going to be right up against the cap after locking up our RFA's, which speaks more to the fact that Nonis is operating under a "sign guys first, worry about the cap later" type of approach. Even something as small as signing Orr so early is even more ridiculous looking back on it.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
If Nonis can squeeze and sign all notible RFA's for Under 3mil each, great job.

If Nonis signs all the notible RFA's for Slightly Over 3mil and keeps them all a leaf, meh, fine.

If Nonis trades one RFA and signs the rest, horrible GM moves, job security gone, job potentially gone?

Lets all hope its the 1st option.

Bonus: Nonis trades Liles
Reward: Dozen Doughnuts from Timmy's on the house.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga

The only rub is that we have 17 guys for sure in our line up right now but we really need 6 more bodies for a full 23 man roster.

We can probably get our 4 RFAs signed for close to 10.8M but that'll only bring us to 21. Ultimately I think we're going to fall short unless we trade Liles.

The roster will need an ELA or two I think.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
What does this even mean?

The fact is that we are going to be right up against the cap after locking up our RFA's, which speaks more to the fact that Nonis is operating under a "sign guys first, worry about the cap later" type of approach. Even something as small as signing Orr so early is even more ridiculous looking back on it.

:laugh:

I love these comments when nobody knows what market might exist for a Liles or Kulemin.

Signing million dollar 4th liners isn't what will eat up our cap space. It's our top 9 forwards, top 4 D and goalies.

Those Orr and MacLaren deals are at 0 risk that I can see since any contract under $1mil can be buried in the AHL.

So you're mad that we signed guys who eat up cap space that we can get back in 48 hours by putting someone on waivers in training camp if need be. :laugh:

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
The only rub is that we have 17 guys for sure in our line up right now but we really need 6 more bodies for a full 23 man roster.

We can probably get our 4 RFAs signed for close to 10.8M but that'll only bring us to 21. Ultimately I think we're going to fall short unless we trade Liles.

The roster will need an ELA or two I think.

We don't need to be at 23. That's an advantage of the AHL team playing in the same city. 21 or 22 is fine.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Regardless, once Nonis signs the RFAs there will be no room for him to do much else without getting rid of money first.

I don't think there's any issue with the RFAs - think Nonis will get them all done and on reasonable dollar too.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I wish dude.

Gunnar and Franson are RFA, they dont have the "hammer" so to speak in negotiations. Bozak did, being UFA. Very important distinction, often overlooked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad