Salary Cap: Losing RFA's due to cap space

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
That's how the Leafs signed MacArthur for the first time.

Exactly, and the Leafs and other teams may lose players this way as well. I thought there was a "Macarthur" rule in the new CBA. Expect teams to release players.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Reminder: team can offer sheet Kadri, Gunnar or Franson for up to $3.36MM & pay only a 2d in compensation

Sooner or later, we are bound to lose at least one of these three. And Fraser too.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
I doubt Phaneuf gets a raise from 6.5

Not when McDonaghn just signed for $4.7. Phaneuf should be getting $5 million a year tops. I realize Phanuef is a UFA and that they tend to get more, I just wouldn't be the guy giving it to him.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Not when McDonaghn just signed for $4.7. Phaneuf should be getting $5 million a year tops. I realize Phanuef is a UFA and that they tend to get more, I just wouldn't be the guy giving it to him.

Who would you give it to? Since there are so many options out there to be our captain and our #1 defenseman?

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Gunnerson will get ~ 3.2 - 3.5 in arbitration and the leafs will have (no choice under the new CBA) to pay it.

Franson should get 3.8 - 4.0 in arbitration.

We'll see if they even get to arbitration. The majority of players who file for arbitration sign contracts before the hearing. In fact, last year I think every single player who did settled before having a hearing.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
I keep seeing Colborne listed in our group of RFAs to sign in our 10 mil. While, we do need to sign him, it's not really entirely fair imo to count him in that money. He's incredibly unlikely to have a spot on this team. It's really only Kadri/Gunnarsson/Franson and Fraser.

Fraser should get no more than a million.
Gunnarsson should get no more than 2.
Franson will likely get a little bit more money than Gunnarsson. Let's say 2.5
Kadri probably in the range of 3 million.

I'd personally don't foresee much trouble. I also expect Liles will be moved.

Your numbers are quite low and overly optimistic.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Gunnerson will get ~ 3.2 - 3.5 in arbitration and the leafs will have (no choice under the new CBA) to pay it.

Franson should get 3.8 - 4.0 in arbitration.

You realize that the current Norris trophy winner signed 6 months ago for 2 years at a AAV of 2.875 and you think Gunnarson will get more than that and Cody Franson will be awarded close to 4M?

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
If we lose one of Gunnarsson, Franson or Kadri. This front office needs to be fired, PERIOD.

That's inexcusable. Those were the 3 biggest priorities for this offseason.

I think we may lose one of these guys. They will not sign for peanuts.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

When you set ridiculous hopes/expectations like this, you will be disappointed. My guess is that Dion will be extended, for more than his current cap hit on an 8 year deal.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think Gunnarsson will almost certainly get over 2.

Ok, you may be right, but we have room to work with.

Leafs Cap:$10,320,83

RFA's : Kadri, Franson, Gunnarson, Colborne, Fraser

Unless the top two are looking for more than 3 million we could pay the top 3 3mil each and Colborne 1 mil. I really don't seeing the numbers being that high but I could be wrong. One thing is for sure, Kadri and Franson both picked a good time to have great seasons.

Edit: As pointed out later in this thread I missed Fraser who will want something between 600k-1mil so I have to take Gunnarsons million back :P

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Exactly, and the Leafs and other teams may lose players this way as well. I thought there was a "Macarthur" rule in the new CBA. Expect teams to release players.

Problem is Leafs barely have enough cap space to sign their own RFA players so how are they in a position to sign other teams RFA players?

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
You realize that the current Norris trophy winner signed 6 months ago for 2 years at a AAV of 2.875 and you think Gunnarson will get more than that and Cody Franson will be awarded close to 4M?

It was Subban's 2nd contract. 3rd contract for Gunnarson and 4th for Franson I believe. There's a difference. No one predicted Subban would win the Norris. In fact, 3/4 of this board would not have wanted him on their team.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Leafs are probably in the worst position among all teams in the league with respect to the quality of their unsigned RFAs and the cap space they have left to sign those players.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

RFA's : Kadri
Franson
Gunnarson
Colborne

Unless the top two are looking for more than 3 million we could pay the top 3 3mil each and Colborne 1 mil. I really don't seeing the numbers being that high but I could be wrong. One thing is for sure, Kadri and Franson both picked a good time to have great seasons.

I think we'll be fine, It will be tight this year but we'll be fine next season. I was just saying that I thought Gunnarsson will get more than 2 million

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010

RFA's : Kadri, Franson, Gunnarson, Colborne

You are missing Frazer.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Problem is Leafs barely have enough cap space to sign their own RFA players so how are they in a position to sign other teams RFA players?

We would need to save a couple mil after signing our guys and move Liles. Not that I see Nonis wanting to give up compensation picks for other peoples RFA's.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Who would you give it to? Since there are so many options out there to be our captain and our #1 defenseman?

I would build through the draft rather then cutting cheques to players less deserving simply because "they're the best option we have". That's how we wound up with Grabo's insane contract.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I would build through the draft rather then cutting cheques to players less deserving simply because "they're the best option we have". That's how we wound up with Grabo's insane contract.

:laugh: Comparing Dion to Grabovski :laugh:

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
When you set ridiculous hopes/expectations like this, you will be disappointed. My guess is that Dion will be extended, for more than his current cap hit on an 8 year deal.

Trust me, my hopes aren't up for anything. I fully expect Phanuef will still be here on a long term deal, I just won't like it. Signing a player to a reasonable cap hit and term isn't "ridiculous". Pay a guy what you think he's worth to your team in the long run. If you can't agree, move him or move on. Can't be a cheerleader when you're making the big decisions.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
:laugh: Comparing Dion to Grabovski :laugh:

Thank god you're around to offer us these little pearls of wisdom. Read more carefully before laughing at people and exposing your ignorance. I said that paying a guy big dollars because you're worried about who else will fill their shoes is why Grabo was still owed $27.5 million as of his buyout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad