London Knights 2023-2024 Offseason Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
IMG_4040.png

Did some research among the imports on teams here in the O’. May be missing trades or surprise appearances at training camps but this is what I pieced together.

Then figured out who has room for an OA spot.

My guess is if by some odd chance Gazizov is back in the O. He is traded to either Saginaw, (you guys definitely won’t like that LOL) Kitchener (may dislike this one even more), or barrie(can’t really see it but maybe)

Gonna take a guess here and say the hunter’s and knights fans wouldn’t be a huge fan of these moves and therefore I don’t think Gaz is back. Maybe he plays in the VHL in Russia or gets an ahl contract?

Haltunnen has good odds of making the barracuda.

I think your imports for the year are the newly drafted ones in Nurmi and Semenov

I assume for your OA’s you get Sim, Julien(if back) and a goalie? Maybe Sztuska? Or do you think they’d trade sim to make room for Gaz as an overage import? Also Leonard maybe would be back?

Last edited:
Reactions: LDN

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
View attachment 903899
Did some research among the imports on teams here in the O’. May be missing trades or surprise appearances at training camps but this is what I pieced together.

Then figured out who has room for an OA spot.

My guess is if by some odd chance Gazizov is back in the O. He is traded to either Saginaw, (you guys definitely won’t like that LOL) Kitchener (may dislike this one even more), or barrie(can’t really see it but maybe)

Gonna take a guess here and say the hunter’s and knights fans wouldn’t be a huge fan of these moves and therefore I don’t think Gaz is back. Maybe he plays in the VHL in Russia or gets an ahl contract?

Haltunnen has good odds of making the barracuda.

I think your imports for the year are the newly drafted ones in Nurmi and Semenov

I assume for your OA’s you get Sim, Julien(if back) and a goalie? Maybe Sztuska? Or do you think they’d trade sim to make room for Gaz as an overage import?
Owen Sound doesn't have any import openings. Varosyan is coming once his Visa paperwork is done. Bleicher is already here.

Reactions: frontsfan67 and LDN

Knightsfan90

Sep 17, 2014
I don't care what the interview said, I'll wager anything the Knights brass are planning not to have Halts this season and if it happens it's an unexpected bonus.
Have thought he is gone since Jan and the reasoning only got stronger thru the 2nd half n POs.
If I'm his NHL club I'm left wondering how does he take a step forward in the CHL? He came in a a skilled player n got better n better as the year went on. JMO he needs now the next challenge of the AHL.
His defensive game could use work and try him on the PK. Mike Stubbs said it the best on the Podcast "when your with the Hunters you're always learning something on and off the ice "

Reactions: Ringing Iron

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Owen Sound doesn't have any import openings. Varosyan is coming once his Visa paperwork is done. Bleicher is already here.
Yeah I was asking about varosyan on the board and I didn’t get a reply. Wasn’t sure about him. Knew about bleicher obviously that’s why I said there was the 1 spot- implying they had 1 opening.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Yeah I was asking about varosyan on the board and I didn’t get a reply. Wasn’t sure about him. Knew about bleicher obviously that’s why I said there was the 1 spot- implying they had 1 opening.
He's Russian and like all the other Russian players is facing delays on Visa paperwork. Hopefully he's in Owen Sound soon.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
His defensive game could use work and try him on the PK. Mike Stubbs said it the best on the Podcast "when your with the Hunters you're always learning something on and off the ice "
This. Also, he was bit of a one tick pony and PP merchant. His skating also needs to improve quite a bit and conditioning. Playing more minutes in Jr would benefit him.

Could he play in the AHL and do well? Absolutely. I just think if they're truly looking out for his best interests, I'd trust the Hunters for one more year.

Emif he's not back, that's fine - London has options.

Honest Q - why would London trade for Sztuska? They're already squeezed for OAs and I wouldn't say he's a convincing upgrade on Willmore, Medvedev or even Wilson.

Pass. Rather roll the dice on what you already know.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Honest Q - why would London trade for Sztuska? They're already squeezed for OAs and I wouldn't say he's a convincing upgrade on Willmore, Medvedev or even Wilson.
If you don’t think he is an upgrade then simply put you need to watch more of him. He is a BIG upgrade over willmore who will be your starter followed by medvedev as the backup. Then 2025/26 medvedev takes over as starter.

Reactions: LDN

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

Pass. Rather roll the dice on what you already know.
I'm with you here. Willmore's numbers look good in a small sample size. Can he do it for an entire season?, no idea. But I'd start with what I got, and if it doesn't work I'd make a move, maybe someone better becomes available.

But making a move for Sztuska isn't the same as making a move for Simpson.

Reactions: Ringing Iron

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
If you don’t think he is an upgrade then simply put you need to watch more of him. He is a BIG upgrade over willmore who will be your starter followed by medvedev as the backup. Then 2025/26 medvedev takes over as starter.
I’ll take Owen Willmore’s experience in the OHL Finals over Surzyka’s one playoffs game experience thank you very much!

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Sure, but does that align with what the NHL club wants? PK time against 17/18 yr olds 95% of won't make the show?
Could he not learn that in the AHL?
Yes Hunters do a great job planting the seeds for what makes kids pros and successful pros but it's very easy to cheat in a league your older, bigger, stronger n better than most and already got your ticket punched.
I think it actually gets harder to develop for many high end kids stuck in the OHL D+2 year. Sure the 1% can do it but the rest......many stall or pack it in/coast n play out the year knowing they've been drafted and are going to get every op to be successful.

Reactions: All the Answers

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Sure, but does that align with what the NHL club wants? PK time against 17/18 yr olds 95% of won't make the show?
Could he not learn that in the AHL?
Yes Hunters do a great job planting the seeds for what makes kids pros and successful pros but it's very easy to cheat in a league your older, bigger, stronger n better than most and already got your ticket punched.
I think it actually gets harder to develop for many high end kids stuck in the OHL D+2 year. Sure the 1% can do it but the rest......many stall or pack it in/coast n play out the year knowing they've been drafted and are going to get every op to be successful.
Other side of it is if he’s rushed it could also hurt his development

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
I bumped into Dale twice yesterday, he had a big grin on his face... it's going to be a great season. Seeing Dale on the first day of training camp is like pulling out Punxsutawney Phil and not seeing a shadow!

Dale did not have a shadow.

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
I think you’re on to something here. Stzu had a GAA of 3.95 which is bad, but he played on a very bad team and still had a save percentage of .905 - now that is very impressive. Simpson was very good, but he didn’t steal games for London last year (maybe a couple)….but he sure did let in a bunch of terrible long shot goals, which Pete’s fans warned us about. Pretty sure it’s an eyesight issue, never seen anything like it. He also played behind the best defence in the CHL. So Stzu could be a very similar acquisition, minus the OHL playoff experience and long shot weakness.
Stzu for Willmore and a 3rd ;)

Reactions: LDN and frontsfan67

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I bumped into Dale twice yesterday, he had a big grin on his face... it's going to be a great season. Seeing Dale on the first day of training camp is like pulling out Punxsutawney Phil and not seeing a shadow!

Dale did not have a shadow.
Amazing! Why is he feeling so good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad