Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
Telling us you are impatient............without telling us you are impatient.
Your fave Lekky took years to make his talent shine........years.
Poor Lekky couldn't score in a soccer net, years 2-3-4- of his career......he was awful.

Relax man..............these are ALL kids we are dealing with right now............Monahan is 28 and an old dude on our team! LOL
I’m very patient, so patient I would’ve waited to trade an RFA lehky for more in the summer or at least get a 1st round pick . Instead the “patient” gm we have decided he wanted accelerate the rebuild and get a former 1st round pick. Maybe he should’ve, idk scouted him and saw that this player has not progressed as he should. But we forced a trade for a bust for cap space. Cap space to save for plugs.

That lehky took long, yeah he did but he always had it in him. Everyone likes to praise MSL and I think he would’ve done wonders for lehk. Again the only person who wasn’t patient with the situation was Hughes . That or he can’t identify talent

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The Barron trade made perfect sense. Why the heck would the habs want to keep a 27 year old middle-six winger when they are rebuilding.

Mailloux had barely any ohl games of experience at that time and there was nothing else on the RD side of the prospect pool.

crazy the revisionist takes floating around here given how well Lekhonen has done in Colorado and the impatience fans have with a top-4 D prospect...

Barron has more NHL games than all but 3 dmen from his draft year, and more points than all but 4 dmen from his draft year... all picked ahead of him (including Guhle, who has 2 fewer games and 1 more point). He's shown more than enough to give confidence he can grow into a solid top-4 dman, if not more.

People seem to ignore/forget that most fans dismissed Lek as not being more than a 30 pt, bottom 6 winger at best... yet act now as if his play with the Avs in a top-6 role is what we gave up on...

they also seem ignorant to the reality that in his D+3 season, Lek had yet to even play an NHL game.

Patience and context are often absent from hot takes.

Barron is a quality asset, our depth at D may make it feasible/reasonable to move him for a quality return, but I'd prefer we see what we have with him over the next 2 seasons. Kid has the tools to be a very good #2-3, no point giving up on that at this point, especially at RD.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Very impressed with both him and Reinbacher. Both the right and left sides appear to be well stocked, at least it seems so as of now. Just need another high end talent up front.

Smart decision. He left a great impression.

Admit it, you're just happy Laval is going to be stacked. Anyways, looking forward to your reports. I'm thinking of going a few times this year with my eldest, so I'll likely post some myself.

Reactions: Sagikev and Redux91

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
One could argue very strongly that Mailloux is a top 6 defender on this team, I wonder why they're sending him down and not Slafkovsky.
You can easily argue that Mailloux at 20 is more ready than Slafkovsky at 19. Management may have made a monumental error with Slaf.

crazy the revisionist takes floating around here given how well Lekhonen has done in Colorado and the impatience fans have with a top-4 D prospect...

Barron has more NHL games than all but 3 dmen from his draft year, and more points than all but 4 dmen from his draft year... all picked ahead of him (including Guhle, who has 2 fewer games and 1 more point). He's shown more than enough to give confidence he can grow into a solid top-4 dman, if not more.

People seem to ignore/forget that most fans dismissed Lek as not being more than a 30 pt, bottom 6 winger at best... yet act now as if his play with the Avs in a top-6 role is what we gave up on...

they also seem ignorant to the reality that in his D+3 season, Lek had yet to even play an NHL game.

Barron is a quality asset, our depth at D may make it feasible/reasonable to move him for a quality return, but I'd prefer we see what we have with him over the next 2 seasons. Kid has the tools to be a very good #2-3, no point giving up on that at this point, especially at RD.
Yep Lehkonen was crapped on hard by this fan base. All of a sudden he should have never been traded?

Jul 6, 2016
The Barron trade made perfect sense. Why the heck would the habs want to keep a 27 year old middle-six winger when they are rebuilding.

Mailloux had barely any ohl games of experience at that time and there was nothing else on the RD side of the prospect pool.
Why had they to get rid of him and Toffoli ? That is the question.

Because they had to keep (or unable to get rid of) Hoffman, Gally and Armia, all guys above 27 year old.

That team would be in better shape with Lehkonen and Toffoli on board.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
he has boatloads of talent and I think we may have a really good Dman here, but I would let him develop in the AHL since we have an abundance of young D that are further developed

Reactions: Tyson

_habsfan9

Nov 26, 2005
future is bright with this kid. If norlinder benefited so much from laval you can only imagine what it could do for this future stud dman

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Smart decision.

I guess they realized keeping Slaf wasn't smart, so sending players back for an extra season rather than hoping they learn on the fly.

Let the players get ripe, even over ripe in the A, or another strong league and them bring them into the NHL where they've had some pre-season games and a few regular season games. They're aware of what it takes and they come into the league ahead of the game, not constitently chasing it.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

"Barron is a quality asset..."

I absolutely agree. Let's trade him, then, by all means.

IMO, Reinbacher, Mailloux and Engstrom (playing the right side) -- or Konyushikov -- will all be superior to Barron. IMO, that leaves two years, maybe three, to build up Barron's trade value and move him either alone, or as part of a package for an interesting return.

That would be proper asset management.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I’m very patient, so patient I would’ve waited to trade an RFA lehky for more in the summer or at least get a 1st round pick . Instead the “patient” gm we have decided he wanted accelerate the rebuild and get a former 1st round pick. Maybe he should’ve, idk scouted him and saw that this player has not progressed as he should. But we forced a trade for a bust for cap space. Cap space to save for plugs.

That lehky took long, yeah he did but he always had it in him. Everyone likes to praise MSL and I think he would’ve done wonders for lehk. Again the only person who wasn’t patient with the situation was Hughes . That or he can’t identify talent
Talking out of both sides...........of your mouth.

Why had they to get rid of him and Toffoli ? That is the question.

Because they had to keep (or unable to get rid of) Hoffman, Gally and Armia, all guys above 27 year old.

That team would be in better shape with Lehkonen and Toffoli on board.
The problem was..............no one wanted the garbage you mention.......they did want Leks and Toffolli and we needed space somehow someway.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

In your last paragraph, when we are talking tools, we are strictly talking about offensive tools when it comes to Barron, all surrounded by a soft game with next to no physicality and a poor read/understanding of his defensive assignments around his own net.

The latter two negative traits will usually sour a coach on the idea of giving Barron #2 or #3 D minutes. Net positives are important and a 40-point Barron, assuming all works out, who carries negative net goal differential when he is on the ice at even strength, won't be worth playing all minutes that might be better occupied by Reinbacher, Mailloux, Engstrom or Konyushkov, in the end.

I like Barron's offensive upside, but he seems lack hockey sense in his own zone and his lack of desire together physically involved, despite a larger frame, is more of a personality trait than a lack of skill. Usually, a mean side can't be taught and I have little hope to see that change for Barron.

It's one thing to cater to surrounding a smaller D like Hutson who is an offensive dynamo, to shield him, physically, but that shouldn't be required for Barron. Unfortunately, right now, it is.

I'd rather a more physical RHD like Mailloux, whom I consider to have better offensive tools and better offensive upside than Barron, plus plenty of confidence to use those tools effectively and Reinbacher as a shutdown D with offensive upside ahead of Barron on the depth chart.

Then, we are just a year or two from knowing if Engstrom will be superior to Barron,and three years away from knowing how Konyushkov's game will translate to the NHL?

As a third pairing D (where Barron will shortly fall on the depth chart, as we wait for the arrival both Engstrom and Konyushkov, weight actually be better off with Kovacevic as a steadier defensive contributor who can also add a little offense and physicality?

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal

IMO, Reinbacher, Mailloux and Engstrom (playing the right side) -- or Konyushikov -- will all be superior to Barron. IMO, that leaves two years, maybe three, to build up Barron's trade value and move him either alone, or as part of a package for an interesting return.

Trading Barron would be dumb.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
In your last paragraph, when we are talking tools, we are strictly talking about offensive tools when it comes to Barron, all surrounded by a soft game with next to no physicality and a poor read/understanding of his defensive assignments around his own net.

The latter two negative traits will usually sour a coach on the idea of giving Barron #2 or #3 D minutes. Net positives are important and a 40-point Barron, assuming all works out, who carries negative net goal differential when he is on the ice at even strength, won't be worth playing all minutes that might be better occupied by Reinbacher, Mailloux, Engstrom or Konyushkov, in the end.

I like Barron's offensive upside, but he seems lack hockey sense in his own zone and his lack of desire together physically involved, despite a larger frame, is more of a personality trait than a lack of skill. Usually, a mean side can't be taught and I have little hope to see that change for Barron.

It's one thing to cater to surrounding a smaller D like Hutson who is an offensive dynamo, to shield him, physically, but that shouldn't be required for Barron. Unfortunately, right now, it is.

I'd rather a more physical RHD like Mailloux, whom I consider to have better offensive tools and better offensive upside than Barron, plus plenty of confidence to use those tools effectively and Reinbacher as a shutdown D with offensive upside ahead of Barron on the depth chart.

Then, we are just a year or two from knowing if Engstrom will be superior to Barron,and three years away from knowing how Konyushkov's game will translate to the NHL?

As a third pairing D (where Barron will shortly fall on the depth chart, as we wait for the arrival both Engstrom and Konyushkov, weight actually be better off with Kovacevic as a steadier defensive contributor who can also add a little offense and physicality?

You are making many assumptions and I don't particularly share much of your assessment.

Physicality or highlight reel offensive ability are certainly fan favorite attributes... but reality is that many young dmen with his type of skill set take a few years to really hit their stride.

Last year's cup finals had Montour, Theodore and Forsling all playing key top 4 minutes for their squads... none had reached Barron's level of NHL performance at the same respective age.

Patience and perspective seem to be thrown out the window in takes like this... forgetting that not all 20-21-22 year old guys have hit their "man strength" yet, and that doesn't mean they won't ever.

Barron having got the NHL (& team Canada) nods he has this far DESPITE, as you point out, not being either physically imposing nor offensively flashy, points to the subtle qualities of his game appreciated by pro coaches. As long as he keeps putting in the work and builds both strength and confidence, he quite clearly has the tools and hockey IQ to have a long, successful career as a top 4 minute eating dman.

Time will tell...

Jul 6, 2016
Talking out of both sides...........of your mouth.

The problem was..............no one wanted the garbage you mention.......they did want Leks and Toffolli and we needed space somehow someway.
I know that. It was impossible to mop up Bergevin's shit moves-contracts.

Reactions: BLONG7 and Habs

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Yup... until all 3 have rookie seasons in the NHL that frustrate you because they aren't finished products and then you want to trade them to make way for the next round of shiny new prospects lol

Patience my friend.

Reactions: Habsrule and BLONG7

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
We'll see how Xhekaj looks once the season starts but honestly he's a guy that shouldn't think his spot on the team is a sure thing. I think that if he doesn't quite iron out certain things once the real games happen, he should definitely be a candidate to send down.

Not that he had a great camp, but there’s absolutely zero chance he doesn’t start in Montreal (other than a paper transaction to fit everything under the cap).

Can you imagine the uproar if he was sent down ? Especially the second this team gets roughed up a little bit. You will have people yelling about how stupid it was not to have him in the line up.

The kid is already one of the most popular player on the team. He’s outgrown his standing on the team.

Hopefully he will look better as things go on.

Good decision to send Mailloux to Laval. Give him time to round up his game and gain even more confidence.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Barring some huge, unexpected return this early, trading Barron would be dumb NOW, but trading Barron in a few years would likely be smart, once you have used the next two three years to build up his trade value would be smart. I see better players ahead of him on the depth chart in two or three years, but that doesn't mean he has no value.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
My view is you play Barron in the NHL this year, sink or swim.

Let Mailloux develop, the upside is significantly higher than Barron’s from what I’ve seen thus far.

Barring some huge, unexpected return this early, trading Barron would be dumb NOW, but trading Barron in a few years would likely be smart, once you have used the next two three years to build up his trade value would be smart. I see better players ahead of him on the depth chart in two or three years, but that doesn't mean he has no value.

He definitely falls down to 3rd pairing if Mailloux/Reinbacher continue on their path based on this years camp.

There’s a time where Barron could be traded, I’m thinking more in 2-3 years from now.

Reactions: MasterD

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Barron is definitely more trade chip than long term solution here in Montreal, especially once we drafted Reinbacher and the development of Mailloux/Engstrom looks so good.

But there's no rush on that and for now we continue to develop him and give him an opportunity to be regarded more highly than those ahead of him.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Barron is definitely more trade chip than long term solution here in Montreal, especially once we drafted Reinbacher and the development of Mailloux/Engstrom looks so good.

But there's no rush on that and for now we continue to develop him and give him an opportunity to be regarded more highly than those ahead of him.
Maybe, but I'm not sure there's much growth left in Barron's game.

Keeping him until next off-season might be the down fall of his value when everyone else sees he's very, very meh.

Reactions: MadMslm

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
If Barron can take a leap and grow into a #4 RHD, he will have solid value if the Habs need to move him down the line. It also provides a great situation to bring Reinbacher and Mailloux into where they can adapt and learn slowly.

Having too many young Dmen who can play on the right side is a great problem to have!

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
if it is true don't shoot the messenger
but if he is really dating this only fans star, Logan does not need this type of publicity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad