Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Keller for example.

There are 2 RD positions in the top 4, and Reinbacher will be taking one of them. The other one can be taken by Mailloux or even Engstrom.

Barron has less potential than Mailloux, and he should have a lot more value than Mailloux and Engstrom.

He makes the most sense to trade out of the 3.

Harris will still need to be traded even with Barron gone.

We can have this d-group in a couple of years:
Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Engstrom
Kovacevic
Maybe one day we will have one forward as exciting at the 6D that we have on paper, one!

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Keller for example.

There are 2 RD positions in the top 4, and Reinbacher will be taking one of them. The other one can be taken by Mailloux or even Engstrom.

Barron has less potential than Mailloux, and he should have a lot more value than Mailloux and Engstrom.

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Engstrom
Kovacevic

Keller would be great player for Habs. He will cost a lot and we will be adding another small forward. Big player like Matthew Knies(also drafted in 2021 lol) would have been great with Suzuki and Colefield. Pretty sure Toronto will refuse a trade with the Habs.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Mailloux reminds me of Burns in his good years at the point. Takes a very good wrist shot on net almost everytime he can. It's sad to think that only of our 4 future top 4 D man will play on the first PP. Will it be Guhle, Reinbacher, Mailloux or Hutson?
With the way this team is shaping up to be, we might start a new trend in the NHL and play 3 D'S on each PP unit.;)

• Wow
Reactions: Grabovski50goals

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
Down to Laval! GOOD!
I'm tired of this organisation rushing prospects. Send them all to the AHL: Mailloux, Roy, Slafkovsky, Heinemen, Norlinder
Ylonen's got 100+ AHL games, it's time for the AHL for him

Reactions: Tuggy and Tyson

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
Good game tonight against a really good group of forwards. He didn’t look out of place which is a great sign.

I would still let him play a season in the AHL, they could call him during the season for a few games but there is no rush right as we have enough bodies and players to evaluate at that position.

With Guhle, Harris, Xhekaj, Barron and Kovacevic that’s a lot of people.

Xhekaj won’t be sent down, his status is bigger than his role on the team right now.

Management like Harris even though he seems like the odd man out.

Kovacevic has a good camp and he’s big in the locker room.

That leaves Barron who I’m not a fan of. His camp hasn’t been great but he already had problems with going to Laval last year and did produce well in the limited amount of time he had with club. This is the player you want to evaluate at the NHL level and see what he can give long term.

There’s no downside to take their time with Mailloux. A season in Laval will only do some good in the long run.
That Barron trade never made sense. Was very against it the moment it was made. Lehk should’ve been kept, not sacrificed for cap space. He’ll never be a top pairing Rd and we already had Mailloux

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
Why do people act like every single prospect we have will be a success at the NHL? Historically, less than half will even play games...
I can't help but laugh when people are suggesting trading two of our young defencemen currently playing in the NHL and pencilling in three guys drafted in the last two years.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Why do people act like every single prospect we have will be a success at the NHL? Historically, less than half will even play games...
I can't help but laugh when people are suggesting trading two of our young defencemen currently playing in the NHL and pencilling in three guys drafted in the last two years.
It all depends on who you’ve drafted. Not all draftees/ prospects are created equal.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
That Barron trade never made sense. Was very against it the moment it was made. Lehk should’ve been kept, not sacrificed for cap space. He’ll never be a top pairing Rd and we already had Mailloux
Most of these Ds have not proven anything at the NHL level so it is not time to start making trades hoping that we will land a 1st line player. Let the waiver eligible guys develop in the AHL and try to make solid NHL defensemen of the others...we are not going for it this year or the next anyway.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
One could argue very strongly that Mailloux is a top 6 defender on this team, I wonder why they're sending him down and not Slafkovsky.
There’s no bigger fan of Mailloux than this writer. Nevertheless, Mailloux was clearly not ready for the NHL. He had neither the strength nor speed to take advantage of his considerable skill set. Slafkovsky, though younger, has played more hockey than Mailloux over the past 3 years, including more games in the NHL than all the 2022 draftees combined. Slafkovsky is simply bigger, stronger and faster than Mailloux. Slafkovsky has a much better chance of excelling in the NHL this year than Mailloux. From this writer’s perspective, I have no trouble with the decision to send Mailloux to the AHL. It’s more his level of play and he can work on developing his skills while he physically matures. Slafkovsky has the size and strength to develop his game at the NHL level. That’s why I doubt he gets sent down.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There’s no bigger fan of Mailloux than this writer. Nevertheless, Mailloux was clearly not ready for the NHL. He had neither the strength nor speed to take advantage of his considerable skill set. Slafkovsky, though younger, has played more hockey than Mailloux over the past 3 years, including more games in the NHL than all the 2022 draftees combined. Slafkovsky is simply bigger, stronger and faster than Mailloux. Slafkovsky has a much better chance of excelling in the NHL this year than Mailloux. From this writer’s perspective, I have no trouble with the decision to send Mailloux to the AHL. It’s more his level of play and he can work on developing his skills while he physically matures. Slafkovsky has the size and strength to develop his game at the NHL level. That’s why I doubt he gets sent down.
I have trouble seeing why. Both suffer from lack of reps, both are physical specimen that still get bodied because they haven't matured physically and both have quesitonnable IQ. They both need to play at a lower level, thats my point. Slafkovsky may be more advanced but Mailloux is a year older, we can call this a wash.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
They had the right idea with the Lehkonen trade. He had to go for both him and the team and we ended up winning the draft lottery that year. They targeted a RHD in return which is a void just as hard to fill as a center. Unfortunately Lehkonen didn’t garner enough value to return a real blue chip.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

The Barron trade made perfect sense. Why the heck would the habs want to keep a 27 year old middle-six winger when they are rebuilding.

Mailloux had barely any ohl games of experience at that time and there was nothing else on the RD side of the prospect pool.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I have trouble seeing why. Both suffer from lack of reps, both are physical specimen that still get bodied because they haven't matured physically and both have quesitonnable IQ. They both need to play at a lower level, thats my point. Slafkovsky may be more advanced but Mailloux is a year older, we can call this a wash.
There are still holes in Mailloux's game, but offensive vision / IQ is not one of them. Mailloux and Slafkovsky are different physical creatures. Despite his size, I never found Mailloux to be a physical player. Even in the OHL, against lesser, smaller players, he couldn't impose his physical will on the game. I always thought the depiction of Mailloux as a physically imposing defenceman to be erronously funny. The average fan reads about a 6' 3" defenceman and immediately has visions of Moose Vasko. Most never saw him play. Mailloux's game is built around finesse and skill. To be able to use that finesse and skill at the NHL level, Mailloux needs to get stronger and consequentially, faster. Slafkovsky is already largely there. He, however, needs to hone his skills. Two different players at different points in their development.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Keller for example.

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Engstrom
Kovacevic
We don’t need Keller. He won’t make this team a contender especially for what he’ll cost. Mailloux is more valuable than Barron because we we want a high end forward we have to give up prospects. I’d rather Mailloux as you said as he has more potential. High end players are usually traded for young up and coming players

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
The Barron trade made perfect sense. Why the heck would the habs want to keep a 27 year old middle-six winger when they are rebuilding.

Mailloux had barely any ohl games of experience at that time and there was nothing else on the RD side of the prospect pool.
Because he was an rfa and was breaking out. Hughes wanted cap space to keep guys like Rhem pitlick. Instead we traded for a bust and a 2nd round pick. We could have gotten way better value later, Or kept him to be part of the core. Instead we traded for a magic bean that was already heading towards bust territory. Colorado swindled us. Idk about Hughes but so far I’ve no reason to think Gorton is good at identifying talent.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Because he was an rfa and was breaking out. Hughes wanted cap space to keep guys like Rhem pitlick. Instead we traded for a bust and a 2nd round pick. We could have gotten way better value later, Or kept him to be part of the core. Instead we traded for a magic bean that was already heading towards bust territory. Colorado swindled us. Idk about Hughes but so far I’ve no reason to think Gorton is good at identifying talent.
Telling us you are impatient............without telling us you are impatient.
Your fave Lekky took years to make his talent shine........years.
Poor Lekky couldn't score in a soccer net, years 2-3-4- of his career......he was awful.

Relax man..............these are ALL kids we are dealing with right now............Monahan is 28 and an old dude on our team! LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad