Prospect Info: Logan Mailloux Part 3 The Only Hockey Talk Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Logan Mailloux has 7 points in his last 7 games. He's getting use to the AHL. Impressive production for a rookie. Especially where he has missed so much time.

He looks like an nhler. question is, top 4 with pp time, or a number 6 with pp time. He's going to make it though because he's a weapon on the pp.

Reactions: rik schau

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He looks like an nhler. question is, top 4 with pp time, or a number 6 with pp time. He's going to make it though because he's a weapon on the pp.
Likely a #6 with PP time on the 2nd PP wave, because Hutson will have the first wave PP minutes.

Guhle - Barron
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj- Mailloux

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I've seen quite a bit of improvement in Mailloux's game in the last couple games, from being pedestrian at best offensively and an absolute tire-fire defensively to being slightly less than AHL-average defensively and very solid offensively.

Might seem like I'm ripping on Mailloux here, but such progression in so short a time is astounding, and a great sign to see. The AHL is a very tough league to crack for rookies, especially defensemen.

First and foremost when it comes to his progress, I think that Mailloux's learned to be much less tentative offensively, plays much more aggresively which makes him more effective offensively although a bit riskier, makes decisions quicker with and without the puck, and has started to adapt his game to the superior speed, strength, and greater skill level of opposing players.

I've also noticed that Logan Mailloux has started being more energetic, and engaged physycally in board battles in the last couple games, which is a great sight to see. Hopefully that trend continues, as well as how he seems to have changed his play selection in all zones, taking less time to make plays and making more advanced reads.

That said, to my eyes Mailloux's defensive game is still incredibly raw and very much work-in-progress. He, like Norlinder and Trudeau unfortunately, has a tendency to get COMPLETELY lost defending the cycle, often losing his man/failing to anchor position properly when he needs to switch to zone defense because of sustained pressure.

In 1-on-1 situations, Mailloux is quite a bit better now than he was at the start of the AHL season, and much stronger overall in that facet than when defending the cycle or sustained pressure. But even then he's still a ways away from being even just NHL-average.

Simply put, I've found that Mailloux either gives too much space/respect to opponents, allowing stop-and-curl entries into the zone along the boards by backing-off too much, or is too aggressive and either gets beat outside/inside or allows opposing forwards to stretch the play and connect on deeper angled passes/rims when defending solo rushes.

And positioning-wise, Mailloux still has lots to learn without going too into the details of angles, timing of pinches, space to occupy to better cut-off passing plays, stick-checking in general, position to take alongside his partner to better defend odd-man rushes, etc.

So yeah, LOTS still to iron-out defensively, and a bit offensively as well but defense will make or break Mailloux's chances to be a good NHL D for us.

Coaching staff needs to keep working on him, get his confidence as high as it can go offensively, and drill him as much as they can defensively.

Oh, and Mailloux MUST stay in the AHL all season at the minimum. I'd even go as far as saying he needs to stay this season full-time in the AHL, and then even starting next season in the AHL to really hammer-out as many of his defensive kinks as possible before he makes his way to the NHL.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
I've seen quite a bit of improvement in Mailloux's game in the last couple games, from being way too tentative offensively and an absolute tire-fire defensively to being slightly less than AHL-average defensively and very solid offensively.

Might seem like I'm ripping on Mailloux here, but such progression in so short a time is astounding, and a great sign to see.

First and foremost when it comes to his progress, I think that Mailloux's learned to be much less tentative offensively, plays much more aggresively which makes him more effective offensively although a bit riskier, makes decisions quicker with and without the puck, and has started to adapt his game to the superior speed, strength, and greater skill level of opposing players.

I've also noticed that Logan Mailloux has started being more energetic, and engaged physycally in board battles in the last couple games, which is a great sight to see. Hopefully that trend continues, as well as how he seems to have changed his play selection in all zones, taking less time to make plays and making more advanced reads.

That said, to my eyes Mailloux's defensive game is still incredibly raw and very much work-in-progress. He, like Norlinder and Trudeau unfortunately, has a tendency to get COMPLETELY lost defending the cycle, often losing his man/failing to anchor position properly when he needs to switch to zone defense because of sustained pressure.

In 1-on-1 situations, Mailloux is quite a bit better now than he was at the start of the AHL season, and much stronger overall in that facet than when defending the cycle or sustained pressure. But even then he's still a ways away from being even just NHL-average.

Simply put, I've found that Mailloux either gives too much space/respect to opponents, allowing stop-and-curl entries into the zone along the boards by backing-off too much, or is too aggressive and either gets beat outside/inside or allows opposing forwards to stretch the play and connect on deeper angled passes/rims when defending solo rushes.

And positioning-wise, Mailloux still has lots to learn without going too into the details of angles, timing of pinches, space to occupy to better cut-off passing plays, stick-checking in general, position to take alongside his partner to better defend odd-man rushes, etc.

So yeah, LOTS still to iron-out defensively, and a bit offensively as well but defense will make or break Mailloux's chances to be a good NHL D for us.

Coaching staff needs to keep working on him, get his confidence as high as it can go offensively, and drill him as much as they can defensively.

Oh, and Mailloux MUST stay in the AHL all season at the minimum. I'd even go as far as saying he needs to stay this season full-time in the AHL, and then even starting next season in the AHL to really hammer-out as many of his defensive kinks as possible before he makes his way to the NHL.
I legit feel he has a chance to be a #1 if he improves his defensive game. Do you see this in the realm of possibilities for him as well?

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Saw some highlights, are they coaching him at all on the defensive side of things? He looks bad at times on what is essential basic d one on one.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Saw some highlights, are they coaching him at all on the defensive side of things? He looks bad at times on what is essential basic d one on one.
No, they aren't coaching a rookie defenseman the finer points of playing defense. C'mon man ;). He's so raw he's going to look bad at times but if there's improvement, then we're on our way. He's a couple years away

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I legit feel he has a chance to be a #1 if he improves his defensive game. Do you see this in the realm of possibilities for him as well?

You never know with young players, especially defensemen, until they play a couple seasons in the NHL.

I mean, I saw Adam Pelech play for Erie in the OHL, and his first few seasons with the Islanders/Bridgeport, and he looked pretty raw defensively, anemic offensively, and basically only had the physical component to his game ironed-out as a 21-22 year-old D-man.

At that point I would have said Pelech had a future of being a #5-6 D-man in the NHL, maybe a journeyman if injuries took away some of his speed/physicality.

Fast-forward two/three seasons, look back on it, and Adam Pelech is suddenly the Isles' best defenseman ahead of Pulock, a puck-possession and defensive beast with the same edge he always had to his game. Basically, something I never thought would happen.

So yeah, you just never know and development isn't linear. Pelech obviously had a breakthrough (or multiple) to become the stud of a defenseman that he now is, and I hope it also happens to Mailloux, but I really don't know.

Mailloux is still way too raw/inexperienced at the pro level for me to feel confident to make any definitive projections.

Reactions: Gravity and 26Mats

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
No, they aren't coaching a rookie defenseman the finer points of playing defense. C'mon man ;). He's so raw he's going to look bad at times but if there's improvement, then we're on our way. He's a couple years away
Thanks! just needed confirmation.
No,I know they are,some players take longer to ingrain the basics into their game. Remember Petry,so often he looked terrible,and he was a veteran.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

the entire defense has struggled so I don't know what they are coaching but it's been a massive issue so far this season that is getting better but still bad unless they like giving up breakaways.

Mailloux at times looks lost in his own end, he makes some really bad decisions but the offense is flashing more and with his frame/size/skating/mobility/reach + good to possibly very good offensive skills is a lot to work with. He will likely need to be paired with Guhle down the road.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The offensive skills are there. If he cannot improve on D, I say transform him into a forward. We lack skills over there.

There have been some good dmen that started out their careers as forwards: Byfuglien, Brent Burns.

Reactions: Kimota

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
He needs to clean the Matheson out of his game.

That said, the Rocket struggle collectively on the defensive end, much like the habs, so not everything that ends up with him looking clueless is entirely or at all his fault.

I don't think he'll ever be considered great defensively, but his athleticism and puck skills can allow him to play toe to toe against the most skilled players.

The emphasis on this organizational development program seems to be how to keep the puck in the offensive end as opposed as to how to keep the puck out of the net. And I think Mailloux is a great fit in that aspect.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Hutson-Mailloux-Engstrom... our 2nd line of the future 🤩🤩

screw-it.gif

Reactions: LesHabitants

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Way too early to tell especially because Mailloux has played so little the past few seasons. I keep saying he should be in Laval for 2 full seasons minimum
His upside is way beyond a number 6 imo. To even suggest he’s a number 6 is ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad