OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Succession. That’s how you do a finale. Outstanding.

Barry was pretty good too.
Watched succession with the wife earlier today, actually ordered cineplex pop corn and we shut off the lights at like 1pm lol gave it the full home theater movie experience

But

What a masterpiece

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Watched succession with the wife earlier today, actually ordered cineplex pop corn and we shut off the lights at like 1pm lol gave it the full home theater movie experience

But

What a masterpiece
I will wait a week or so to comment. I have some thoughts.

But I agree that it was great.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A friend urged me watch Love is Blind on Netflix.

If you thought the idea of the Bachelor/ Bachelorette is twisted and debased, this show takes it to a whole other level by having couples commit to marriage on the sole basis of interactions behind a wall (pods), without them ever seeing each other before committing.

Show claims that it’s an experiment in eliminating race, physical features, money, etc. from dating decisions by only building connections based on the individuals’ sentiments. You can only imagine the disasters it creates.

So much build up and on camera chemistry gets completely thrown out the window as several couples are unable to say yes at the altar. It’s brutal having the whole ceremony with family present and the whole production only to see it fail.

That said, the show is addictive if you’re a fan of reality TV and dating shows. There are 4 seasons.

I saw the hosts of Love is Blind pimp another dating concept on Netflix as they wrapped up Season 2, called The Ultimatum — Marry or Move On. This is even nuttier as they have couples in relationships who are afraid to commit join and date a member of another couple in the same predicament, for 3 weeks. Based on that, either the individual decides to return to their previous partner or forms a new relationship with the chosen partner. What could possibly go wrong.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Ricky: play I like to rock! Alex: that’s April Wine! Ricky: well play that Diane Sawyer song! There’s a dollar 37 for ya dick tree ! I can’t believe I’m picking this up!!!

• Wow
Reactions: angusyoung

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Name me a single great movie made after 2015 that would compete against the classics of the 1960-1999 period. Cinema and film is a dying art form.

I find myself rediscovering old classics instead of wasting my time watching new movies at this point.
If you have Hollywood in mind you may be right. I don't feel like going over the list of American films. But if you look at international films that's not true at all. There are four films that come quickly to mind. The Guilty (Danish film and remade in a botched up attempt by Hollywood), The Hunt, The Invisible Guest and Parasite. If I sit down and think about it I can come up with a couple dozen more foreign films, As I wrote this post Cache and Nine Queens (two Argentine films) came to mind.

EDIT Actually cache is a French film. I was thinking of Secret in their Eyes but wrote Cache instead. Early signs of dementia I guess. Cache is an excellent flick.

Last edited:
Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If you have Hollywood in mind you may be right. I don't feel like going over the list of American films. But if you look at international films that's not true at all. There are four films that come quickly to mind. The Guilty (Danish film and remade in a botched up attempt by Hollywood), The Hunt, The Invisible Guest and Parasite. If I sit down and think about it I can come up with a couple dozen more foreign films, As I wrote this post Cache and Nine Queens (two Argentine films) came to mind.

You may be right about that.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If I want to watch superhero stuff, I rather go back to the classic animated series like Batman TAS and Superman TAS or the 1940's Fleischer Superman cartoons. Those shows were of high quality. Better than 99% of superhero movies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Captain America part XIV
1685562985134.png

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
If I want to watch superhero stuff, I rather go back to the classic animated series like Batman TAS and Superman TAS or the 1940's Fleischer Superman cartoons. Those shows were of high quality. Better than 99% of superhero movies.
You gotta watch Into the Spiderverse. First superhero & marvel animated movie to win an Oscar for best animated movie. That was just a few years ago. While you're at it, go watch Flashpoint Paradox.

Imo, it's as much your own melancholy driving your perspective. Learn to let go, you'll appreciate life a lot more. Sure, the state of Hollywood is at its worst, but it's not like there's nothing out there.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Sure, the state of Hollywood is at its worst, but it's not like there's nothing out there.
I think the state of Hollywood is more high volume than ever. They produce about the same amount of high quality stuff -- especially if you take into account "prestige TV" from HBO and the like -- but the overall volume is way, way higher. So you have a nonstop firehose of McMarvel fast food hitting the airwaves diluting the overall quality.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I’m going to expand your original timeline window to make my point but one thing I will agree with is super hero movies have been poor as of late.

I make no secret that I’m a MCU fan and while not every movie was a hit, MCU phases 1-3 were good. In there, Winter Soldier and Civil War were masterpieces. Infinity War was epic, and while Endgame was a “small” movie within a spectacle. GoTG V1 was one of the best popcorn sci-fi movies in quite some time. Ragnorok was funnier than most comedies within a couple years. There were duds (Dark World), but for “comic book” movies, they were decent.

Before that, I know some people love the Burton Batmans (I hated them), but to me Nolan’s Batman wasn’t just good comic book movies but they were just good movies period.

Aquaman and Wonder Woman (1) were good, but the DCEU movies in general were trash. IMO, this contributed to the super hero fatigue. Pretty much all the post-phase 3 MCU movies have been mediocre to poor. Thor 4 sucked, and other than No Way Home and GoTG V3, I haven’t enjoyed recent films as much.

As for the original comment about animated stuff, Spider-Verse 1 was one of the best animated movies of any genre I’ve seen in a long time. Spider-Verse 2 is coming out this week, but reviews have been glowing for this as well.

Back to your original comments about post-2015 films, one thing I didn‘t see mentioned but I think impacted cinema and TV big time was covid. “How” movies were made, studio commitment/nervousness and money (not spending) all contributed to the drop in quality. I mean, i would have expected writing to had improved since everyone was locked up, but it was obvious especially for TV how covid affected quality.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Surprise surprise surprise, as Jim said on Floyd's The Wall.
Found this series in a bin at the mall,picked it up to show the youngsters. Mild and cornier than a hogs stool sample,but still has some pretty good laughs.

Golly gee,didn't know he had it in him! lol

• Wow
Reactions: angusyoung

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Keep waiting for this show to click, but always seems to stall out! Well too invested to quit now, guess I gotta stick it out.
Can you sum it up when it is done? we started watching the first few season but it makes molasses pouring out look like warp speed! Missed a few season as we gave up and caught an episode last year, looks like we didn't miss a thing as it felt like it was still the same story lines and nothing has evolved or been resolved.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Name me a single great movie made after 2015 that would compete against the classics of the 1960-1999 period. Cinema and film is a dying art form.

I find myself rediscovering old classics instead of wasting my time watching new movies at this point.
Have you seen these? some are a tad prior but are just nice easy going films with good stories and acting.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I think the state of Hollywood is more high volume than ever. They produce about the same amount of high quality stuff -- especially if you take into account "prestige TV" from HBO and the like -- but the overall volume is way, way higher. So you have a nonstop firehose of McMarvel fast food hitting the airwaves diluting the overall quality.
I don't think they produce the same amount of high quality stuff as the 90ies and 80ies. Of course everything is relative and i guess if you like action movies with bad script and fantasy action sequences it's fine but personally i think we are very far from what it used to be.

There's a couple of movies i'm looking forward this year but it's been month since there has been a movie i really wanted to see. These days there's pretty much no high quality drama. There's good not promoted anywhere indie drama but outside of Villeneuve, Nolan, Scorsese and a handful of high profil directors there's no such thing as blockbuster darama anymore. We have one every few years.

The action movies outside of a few exception are dumb. We are so far from the Terminator 2 or Jason Bourne of this world. Now we got *** like Gray Man. Dumb script. Super hero like action sequences all the time. The Marvel formula has invaded hollywood and is being applied to non super hero movies. Sequels. Reboot. Nothing original outside of the indie market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad