OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Quebec culture has always been very good and original, at least since the 1960s.

We have the luck of being largely isolated from outside pressure of the world at large, because no one gives a f*** about us. We're not stuck within the parameters of "the conversation" like someone from NYC would be. Yet so many great shows and movies were made here in the last 60 years, from children's shows, tv series to movies.

Plus lack of budget forces creativity.

Reactions: Fenris

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Quebec culture has always been very good and original, at least since the 1960s.

We have the luck of being largely isolated from outside pressure of the world at large, because no one gives a f*** about us. We're not stuck within the parameters of "the conversation" like someone from NYC would be. Yet so many great shows and movies were made here in the last 60 years, from children's shows, tv series to movies.

Plus lack of budget forces creativity.
Like Quebec's answer to Star Trek: Bibi et Genevieve.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Like Quebec's answer to Star Trek: Bibi et Genevieve.

lol

the real answer the Star Trek was "Dans une galaxie près de chez vous", of course.

I didn't watch the latter though, came a bit after my time.

Bibi et Geneviève was very strange.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
To be fair, the US has been siphoning Canada’s talent since at least from the early days of vaudeville, radio and talkies.

Also, our Quebec movie industry has been thriving, even receiving US and international recognition.
That's really what sets us apart from the rest of Canada, we actually have a distinct identity and culture.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Asked the other day; what was best western? I went with Unforgiven or Josey Wales. True Grit close third.
Other than what you already mentioned, The Magnificent Seven, Good Bad, Ugly, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Wild Bunch, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Searchers, Tombstone, Shane, ....hard to give a best when there are so many.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
What genre? There have been some great sci-fi: The Martian and Inception I thought were amazing films.

Drama, I thought the Green Book was excellent. The Revenant and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood I loved.

Action, the John Wick franchise is right up there.

Comedy has definitely taken a nosedive. I was complaining to my wife that the issue with comedy is in our lame cancel/woke culture, all the “good” jokes are all off limits now.

In terms of pure spectacle, Top Gun: Maverick was amazing. I can’t think of too many films that truly gave me an adrenaline rush in quite some time.

Duuuude, no

While it may be entertaining, it's not in the same league as movies from the period he mentioned.

John Wick is to assassin flicks what F&F is to car chase movies. It's a fastfood flick.

They literally copy pasted their entire mythos and underworld from Robert Anton Wilson's work and other illuminati books.

To be fair, the US has been siphoning Canada’s talent since at least from the early days of vaudeville, radio and talkies.

Also, our Quebec movie industry has been thriving, even receiving US and international recognition.

Least we mention one of the most popular directors in hollywood is a UQAM alumni, born here.

Reactions: Runner77

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal
Duuuude, no

While it may be entertaining, it's not in the same league as movies from the period he mentioned.

John Wick is to assassin flicks what F&F is to car chase movies. It's a fastfood flick.

They literally copy pasted their entire mythos and underworld from Robert Anton Wilson's work and other illuminati books.

Least we mention one of the most popular directors in hollywood is a UQAM alumni, born here.
Trois-Rivières, the exotic place Denis Villeneuve, the founder of AlphaBay, and the Star Wars Kid call home.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
How is it niche at all?

It's a classic underdog story about a guy with a big idea that needs people to get on board with this idea and take a big risk and believe in what he believes in.

It's one of those rare stories where despite the outcome being very well known, they still put together such a compelling story that all of the drama still works.

But I don't see how it's niche at all.
Asked and answered,I deplore repeating myself,so I won't. If you are incapable of scrolling or clicking,I'm truly very sorry,if however you're just a lazy sob,well,you know what you can do. But if motivated,the answer you seek is not so difficult to discover.

I will add however. that if a film is or is not considered niche,who cares? all that matters is you like it,screw what anybody else thinks,I do. A lot of niche films are very good btw.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
Listening to Jury Duty right now on Prime. It's pretty funny. I don't know how much it's accurate that one guy from the jury is the only one not an actor, but I like it so far!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Why is this happening? Driven by nostalgia nerds or is the movie good or both?

• Wow
Reactions: angusyoung

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’ve long experienced superhero fatigue and that has kept me from delving into most films and series involving superpowers and grotesque costumed characters.

But, somehow, I’ve stumbled on Superman & Lois and 3 episodes in, I can’t believe I’m enjoying it.

Anyone in on this?

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Duuuude, no

Well, in fairness, he is asking to compare a span of 7 years versus 40 years of cinematic history. It's not like most films in that time period were any good. There was plenty of duds, especially in the 90's.

In regards to Wick, I did specify action movies. I mean, super-hero flicks are fastfood also but I didn't mention them.

On the topic of super heros, 2015 and later super hero movies are superior to anything made pre-1999. Would they compete against the best films of all time, LMAO, of course not which was why I pointed out genres.

I brought up Inception. No, not the best film ever, maybe not even the best sci-fi, but it was a heck of a lot better than all 9 Star Wars movies.

Anyhow, I think the question was a little general because there were no examples of the classics. Getting back to Star Wars, I'm sure some people consider those classics. I consider them trash, though I do enjoy Filoni's and Favreau's vision. However, I don't doubt some people find their vision trash.

There were some good movies 2000-2014.

Reactions: Runner77

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Even for sci-fi, they were more great movies from 1960-99.

Inception is from 2010.

The John Wick Franchise is good, but what makes it unique is that it feel like any other action movies from the 1980s/1990s golden era. There used to be several John Wicks a year back then.

Oh, I lost track of time. For some reason I thought Inception was more recent.

While I just kinda bashed sci-fi a moment ago, one thing I will say is sci-fi pre-1980 was a lot more original. Today, it's all the usual evil AI or flesh eating aliens.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Oh, I lost track of time. For some reason I thought Inception was more recent.

While I just kinda bashed sci-fi a moment ago, one thing I will say is sci-fi pre-1980 was a lot more original. Today, it's all the usual evil AI or flesh eating aliens.

True

Reactions: sandviper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad