OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Can you sum it up when it is done? we started watching the first few season but it makes molasses pouring out look like warp speed! Missed a few season as we gave up and caught an episode last year, looks like we didn't miss a thing as it felt like it was still the same story lines and nothing has evolved or been resolved.
Correct my friend, just to let you know EZ is in control and keeps F ing up! A wasted 1hr 17 minutes again. I am an idiot for continuing to watch this train wreck! What’s the definition of insanity, keep doing the same thing and hoping for a different outcome? I’m SHOT!!!

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Keep waiting for this show to click, but always seems to stall out! Well too invested to quit now, guess I gotta stick it out.
It's not nearly as good as what SOA was (especially the earlier seasons) but Mayans MC does keep me interested enough to keep watching every week and I still like it for the most part and do find it entertaining. Although I like Sutter's stuff all the way back to The Shield, which is one of my all time favorite TV series.

I recently finished the final season of Snowfall and I quite liked how they clued up that series. Very good series overall.

I'm currently 4 episodes into The Diplomat. It's ok and seems to be getting better with each episode. I still have season 2 of Your Honor plus the 2 Yellowstone spinoffs 1883 and 1923 to get to yet along with the final season of Happy Valley and probably some others so I got some TV watching to catch up on soon.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’m going to expand your original timeline window to make my point but one thing I will agree with is super hero movies have been poor as of late.

I make no secret that I’m a MCU fan and while not every movie was a hit, MCU phases 1-3 were good. In there, Winter Soldier and Civil War were masterpieces. Infinity War was epic, and while Endgame was a “small” movie within a spectacle. GoTG V1 was one of the best popcorn sci-fi movies in quite some time. Ragnorok was funnier than most comedies within a couple years. There were duds (Dark World), but for “comic book” movies, they were decent.

Before that, I know some people love the Burton Batmans (I hated them), but to me Nolan’s Batman wasn’t just good comic book movies but they were just good movies period.

Aquaman and Wonder Woman (1) were good, but the DCEU movies in general were trash. IMO, this contributed to the super hero fatigue. Pretty much all the post-phase 3 MCU movies have been mediocre to poor. Thor 4 sucked, and other than No Way Home and GoTG V3, I haven’t enjoyed recent films as much.

As for the original comment about animated stuff, Spider-Verse 1 was one of the best animated movies of any genre I’ve seen in a long time. Spider-Verse 2 is coming out this week, but reviews have been glowing for this as well.

Back to your original comments about post-2015 films, one thing I didn‘t see mentioned but I think impacted cinema and TV big time was covid. “How” movies were made, studio commitment/nervousness and money (not spending) all contributed to the drop in quality. I mean, i would have expected writing to had improved since everyone was locked up, but it was obvious especially for TV how covid affected quality.
Reading your above message makes me feel like attempting to immerse myself in this universe but in a structured manner.

From your post, I understand that:

MCU phases 1-3 ( please elaborate what those are comprised of) — I understand that Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame are all part of the said phases and are recommended.

What is GoTG V1?

Do you recommend Ragnorok?

Nolan’s Batman, Aquaman and Wonder Woman are recommended.

DCEU movies not recommended.

No Way Home and GoTG V3 recommended.

Spider-Verse 1 recommended and 2 looks promising.

Any particular order to viewing the above? Any others you did not list, that you would recommend but that are not limited by the question you were responding to?

Thanks in advance. I’m looking forward to catching up!

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Reading your above message makes me feel like attempting to immerse myself in this universe but in a structured manner.

MCU phases 1-3 ( please elaborate what those are comprised of) — I understand that Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame are all part of the said phases and are recommended.

What is GoTG V1?

Any particular order to viewing the above? Any others you did not list, that you would recommend but that are not limited by the question you were responding to?

GoTG = Guardians of the Galaxy.

This include all the phases/movies/series in both release order (at the top) and chronological order (bottom).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
GoTG = Guardians of the Galaxy.

This include all the phases/movies/series in both release order (at the top) and chronological order (bottom).
Thanks so much for that. I had no idea there was a comprehensive list like that, including ratings.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I can't believe Succession is already over. They have to figure out a way to do a spinoff or something. I need more.

Reactions: Doublechin

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

What is GoTG V1?

@OnTheRun provided a good resource and clarified GoTG, which I’ll just refer to as Guardians now.

There’s also TV shows linked into the Marvel shared universe, aka the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe).

IMO, you don’t need to watch them all but watching them all will kind of just tie everything together, especially when you add the extra credit scenes after each movie.

The link provided will give more information than I ever can but what a lot of haters will do is just lump all these movies as superhero movies. Don’t get me wrong, they are and I certainly wouldn’t consider them fine cinema, but within the MCU there are genre films; Winter Soldier and Civil War are essentially spy/political thrillers, Ragnorok a comedy, and Ant-Man is a heist film.

Of course, I wouldn’t compare Winter Soldier to an actual spy thriller but it’s about as close as you can get to one within a super hero film.

The MCU TV shows are a mixed bag, but What If? is a great show.

A lot of confusion though is one has to understand the MCU is its own thing. The older Spider-Man movies, Venom, and others are Marvel intellectual properties but their rights are owned by Sony. That’s why the Andrew Garfield and Tobey Mcguire films are disconnected from the MCU which was created later, but I’ll stop there because you’ll have to watch Spider-Man No Way Home.

All those Batman, Superman and other DC intellectual properties are a completely different entity and owned by different companies.

End of the day, it’s entertainment. I get many film goers look down on these movies but it is what it is. Going back to the Nolan Batman or the MCU Winter Soldier, those were excellent movies but they are pure escapism.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
It's not nearly as good as what SOA was (especially the earlier seasons) but Mayans MC does keep me interested enough to keep watching every week and I still like it for the most part and do find it entertaining. Although I like Sutter's stuff all the way back to The Shield, which is one of my all time favorite TV series.

I recently finished the final season of Snowfall and I quite liked how they clued up that series. Very good series overall.

I'm currently 4 episodes into The Diplomat. It's ok and seems to be getting better with each episode. I still have season 2 of Your Honor plus the 2 Yellowstone spinoffs 1883 and 1923 to get to yet along with the final season of Happy Valley and probably some others so I got some TV watching to catch up on soon.
I liked Snowfall.

Reactions: angusyoung

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Correct my friend, just to let you know EZ is in control and keeps F ing up! A wasted 1hr 17 minutes again. I am an idiot for continuing to watch this train wreck! What’s the definition of insanity, keep doing the same thing and hoping for a different outcome? I’m SHOT!!!
Thanks for the update! I like it seeing as that's the only way to show my appreciation.lol.

@OnTheRun provided a good resource and clarified GoTG, which I’ll just refer to as Guardians now.

There’s also TV shows linked into the Marvel shared universe, aka the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe).

IMO, you don’t need to watch them all but watching them all will kind of just tie everything together, especially when you add the extra credit scenes after each movie.

The link provided will give more information than I ever can but what a lot of haters will do is just lump all these movies as superhero movies. Don’t get me wrong, they are and I certainly wouldn’t consider them fine cinema, but within the MCU there are genre films; Winter Soldier and Civil War are essentially spy/political thrillers, Ragnorok a comedy, and Ant-Man is a heist film.

Of course, I wouldn’t compare Winter Soldier to an actual spy thriller but it’s about as close as you can get to one within a super hero film.

The MCU TV shows are a mixed bag, but What If? is a great show.

A lot of confusion though is one has to understand the MCU is its own thing. The older Spider-Man movies, Venom, and others are Marvel intellectual properties but their rights are owned by Sony. That’s why the Andrew Garfield and Tobey Mcguire films are disconnected from the MCU which was created later, but I’ll stop there because you’ll have to watch Spider-Man No Way Home.

All those Batman, Superman and other DC intellectual properties are a completely different entity and owned by different companies.

End of the day, it’s entertainment. I get many film goers look down on these movies but it is what it is. Going back to the Nolan Batman or the MCU Winter Soldier, those were excellent movies but they are pure escapism.
So complicated, no wonder I never graduated from Comicon High. lol.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I’m going to expand your original timeline window to make my point but one thing I will agree with is super hero movies have been poor as of late.

I make no secret that I’m a MCU fan and while not every movie was a hit, MCU phases 1-3 were good. In there, Winter Soldier and Civil War were masterpieces. Infinity War was epic, and while Endgame was a “small” movie within a spectacle. GoTG V1 was one of the best popcorn sci-fi movies in quite some time. Ragnorok was funnier than most comedies within a couple years. There were duds (Dark World), but for “comic book” movies, they were decent.

Before that, I know some people love the Burton Batmans (I hated them), but to me Nolan’s Batman wasn’t just good comic book movies but they were just good movies period.

Aquaman and Wonder Woman (1) were good, but the DCEU movies in general were trash. IMO, this contributed to the super hero fatigue. Pretty much all the post-phase 3 MCU movies have been mediocre to poor. Thor 4 sucked, and other than No Way Home and GoTG V3, I haven’t enjoyed recent films as much.

As for the original comment about animated stuff, Spider-Verse 1 was one of the best animated movies of any genre I’ve seen in a long time. Spider-Verse 2 is coming out this week, but reviews have been glowing for this as well.

Back to your original comments about post-2015 films, one thing I didn‘t see mentioned but I think impacted cinema and TV big time was covid. “How” movies were made, studio commitment/nervousness and money (not spending) all contributed to the drop in quality. I mean, i would have expected writing to had improved since everyone was locked up, but it was obvious especially for TV how covid affected quality.

I preferred the Burton's Batmans to the Nolan's. I think the Nolan's are overrated especially the first and last one, with only The Dark Knight being a great movie. Both Burton's had an original atmosphere when they came out.

This is will be extremely unpopular, but I like the 3rd and 4th one after the Burtons (with Jim Carrey and Arnold), in terms of their wild aesthetics. I know they're cheesy but the artistic direction was gutsy.

The Nolans feel empty, which I guess is Nolan's signature. Even Inception, which I like, felt that way despite a deep topic. Tenet was the absolute summit of that emptiness.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
You gotta watch Into the Spiderverse. First superhero & marvel animated movie to win an Oscar for best animated movie. That was just a few years ago. While you're at it, go watch Flashpoint Paradox.

Imo, it's as much your own melancholy driving your perspective. Learn to let go, you'll appreciate life a lot more. Sure, the state of Hollywood is at its worst, but it's not like there's nothing out there.

Hmm, problem is I was never into Spiderman, and I can't see myself getting into a new superhero universe at this point, at least not a major American one. It would need to be niche and very different from anything I've seen for me to invest the time. Flashpoint paradox I saw and even have the DVD at home. I'm a big fan of the DC Animated movies, my favorite being The Dark Knight Returns Part I & II.

As for my nostalgia, yeah I'm like that, but not even close to as bad as I used to be. I mean, I love history and old things, but I don't think my comment on modern movies came from that place. I agree there probably some great movies around, but how can you filter? Hell, how can you even know about their existence given the scattered state of marketing campaigns?

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Have you seen these? some are a tad prior but are just nice easy going films with good stories and acting.

No, never heard of them.

I'll get them and give them a try eventually. Thanks for the suggestions!

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Season 2 of the Bear is coming.
Great first season for those who didn't watch, not for everyone but it's one of a kind.

A serie is also coming out next week on Apple TV with Tom Holland....could be a good one

Not that I expect this movie to be great or anything....but this John Cena and Jackie Chan movie was made in 2018 before Cena made any of his bigger roles, was just sitting on the shelves.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
1. Young guns
2. Young’s guns 2
boxofshame.gif

• Haha
Reactions: angusyoung

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Season 2 of the Bear is coming.
Great first season for those who didn't watch, not for everyone but it's one of a kind.

A serie is also coming out next week on Apple TV with Tom Holland....could be a good one

Not that I expect this movie to be great or anything....but this John Cena and Jackie Chan movie was made in 2018 before Cena made any of his bigger roles, was just sitting on the shelves.

Saw the trailer for Crowded Room yesterday. It looks like it's based on MKUltra mind control, or at the very least, has all the telltale signs of a series about dissassociative identity disorder, somewhat like MNight's Split, Diablo Cody's United States of Tara or Fincher/Palahniuk's Fight Club.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad