OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Asked the other day; what was best western? I went with Unforgiven or Josey Wales. True Grit close third.
All 3 are great choices
There was a time in my life when I wouldn't sniff a Western but then i wanted to become a true Cinephile so I forced myself to watch like a hundred Westerns lol and honestly, yeah a lot weren't great sure
But I did come to actually like the Genre and DID find some truly great gems
On a more Modern tone like your True Grit i'd also suggest the remake of 3:10 to Yuma with Bale and Crowe which was spectacular

But for some Golden Oldies i'd suggest:
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (James Stewart, ..wait.. John Wayne AND Lee Marvin?? wow)
Winchester '73 (Stewart again lol, but Waco Johnny Dean steals the show)
Those particularly really opened my eyes to how truly great old black and white Westerns which I had always previously found drag and boring could be

And since everybody knows the Spaghetti Western Trilogy with Sergio Leone and Clint, most would forget about the Spaghetti Westerns Leone, while Clint went back to the states to do dirty Harry movies, made with Fonda and Bronson : Once Upon a Time in the West (absolutely incredible) and then did one with Coburn and Steiger called Giù, La Testa! (Duck, You Sucker!) which is just some good ol fashion fun lol

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Blackberry is a solid film, our boy Jay Baruchel does good... and you get your typical Canadiens easter egg with him.
I just finished watching it. What a wild ride! Gripping from start to finish.

The guy who played Greg had me splitting a gut the whole way through. Baruchel was just superb. The guy who played Balsillie was a force of nature and created the most havoc per scene I have ever seen in a movie.

Would definitely recommend, there’s nothing quite like it.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
I just finished watching it. What a wild ride! Gripping from start to finish.

The guy who played Greg had me splitting a gut the whole way through. Baruchel was just superb. The guy who played Balsillie was a force of nature and created the most havoc per scene I have ever seen in a movie.

Would definitely recommend, there’s nothing quite like it.
Yeah Howerton absolutely killed it as Balsillie! Fantastic film.

Another good one to check out that is similar is the movie about Tetris.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
I wonder if Blackberry is finally the break that gets Glenn Howerton into the movies. IASIP is seminal but I do wish they’d all move onto other things lol

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
No, never heard of them.

I'll get them and give them a try eventually. Thanks for the suggestions!
From the UK and no idea if they were released in NA.not blockbusters or any special effects or anything and can see the trailers and the subject matter with the previous attachments. Only heard positive things from the ones I know that have seen them,but you never know...................

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
To commemorate D-Day we look at WW2 films and saw this one never heard of before,well worth it if a person is into that sort of thing. It was well done and actually had many languages spoken with subtitles rather than actors putting on strange accents. Canada figured prominently in the film and mentioned it was true events.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
The Days (Netflix).
Decent Japanese series about the Fukushima Daiichi disaster. And just a heads up, don't walk into this expecting another Chernobyl or you will be disappointed. Fukushima is by nature a slow cooking disaster and Japanese writers are know to stick to the source material to a fault (this one is mostly based on Yoshida's reports) instead of overdramatizing everything, so expect to see more people talking on the phone than people doing heroic stuffs in a highly irradiated zone.

Reactions: angusyoung

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I just catched the end of a movie (on Silver Screen channel) I was thinking will never watch again in my life : A Boy and his Dog. 1976 SF movie post apocaliptic. About same time done as Zardoz, you know the shocking avatar of poster here, Sean Connery in red leather sexy, the horrible SF of 1974.
Both movies to be seen and hated. Well, visually they both do a good job. Now for the story line, no comments. I hated Zardoz who was more fantasy futuristic, John Boorman movie.
A Boy and his Dog is more realistc and it's shocking. But it's a must seen movie, who take action in 2024. Don Johnson in one of his early role. It's the SF genre movie before Mad Max.

Zardoz was brit made with a lot of italian clothing design. Fancy decors, lot of smog too.
Boy and his Dog is californian made. Jason Robarts with his clown pie mask and that woman are just fantastic!

• Haha

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I just catched the end of a movie (on Silver Screen channel) I was thinking will never watch again in my life : A Boy and his Dog. 1976 SF movie post apocaliptic. About same time done as Zardoz, you know the shocking avatar of poster here, Sean Connery in red leather sexy, the horrible SF of 1974.
Both movies to be seen and hated. Well, visually they both do a good job. Now for the story line, no comments. I hated Zardoz who was more fantasy futuristic, John Boorman movie.
A Boy and his Dog is more realistc and it's shocking. But it's a must seen movie, who take action in 2024. Don Johnson in one of his early role. It's the SF genre movie before Mad Max.

Zardoz was brit made with a lot of italian clothing design. Fancy decors, lot of smog too.
Boy and his Dog is californian made. Jason Robarts with his clown pie mask and that woman are just fantastic!
Saw Boy and his dog when it came out,remember squat actually. You saying it's worth a look?

angusyoung

raise yor hand if u luv the beach as much as i do
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The Days (Netflix).
Decent Japanese series about the Fukushima Daiichi disaster. And just a heads up, don't walk into this expecting another Chernobyl or you will be disappointed. Fukushima is by nature a slow cooking disaster and Japanese writers are know to stick to the source material to a fault (this one is mostly based on Yoshida's reports) instead of overdramatizing everything, so expect to see more people talking on the phone than people doing heroic stuffs in a highly irradiated zone.
My sister-in-law was an inspector on the site and what was publicly reported was not always accurate.

angusyoung

raise yor hand if u luv the beach as much as i do
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Was able to see this mini-series encompassing the life of Anne Frank. It captures the life of everyone involved and can feel the tension,stress,anxiety,whatever and I have first hand accounts of the time and situation. What made it more grim is the hope that they are having when you know how it all ends.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
All 3 are great choices
There was a time in my life when I wouldn't sniff a Western but then i wanted to become a true Cinephile so I forced myself to watch like a hundred Westerns lol and honestly, yeah a lot weren't great sure
But I did come to actually like the Genre and DID find some truly great gems
On a more Modern tone like your True Grit i'd also suggest the remake of 3:10 to Yuma with Bale and Crowe which was spectacular

But for some Golden Oldies i'd suggest:
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (James Stewart, ..wait.. John Wayne AND Lee Marvin?? wow)
Winchester '73 (Stewart again lol, but Waco Johnny Dean steals the show)
Those particularly really opened my eyes to how truly great old black and white Westerns which I had always previously found drag and boring could be

And since everybody knows the Spaghetti Western Trilogy with Sergio Leone and Clint, most would forget about the Spaghetti Westerns Leone, while Clint went back to the states to do dirty Harry movies, made with Fonda and Bronson : Once Upon a Time in the West (absolutely incredible) and then did one with Coburn and Steiger called Giù, La Testa! (Duck, You Sucker!) which is just some good ol fashion fun lol
Great pics! Westerns haven’t been the same since Cadillac ruined move night, not to mention the popcorn!!

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
My sister-in-law was an inspector on the site and what was publicly reported was not always accurate.

No doubt.
It's also toned down, Yoshida was pretty critical of the inaction and lack of support from the government and TEPCO during this nightmarish week, this is pretty much all gone, probably in an effort to not offend anyone.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
The only time I ever went to the Forum for wrestling was when the WWF and our local wrestling alliance organized a tournament; our best against theirs. It was a packed house and some great matches, i forgot most of them, but the final was The Iron Sheik with his Russian partner Volkof versus Dino Bravo and newcomer, King Tonga. It was a best of three and did not disappoint. Our guys won the third round in spectacular fashion and the Forum exploded as if Guy had just scored. Rasslin' was fun back then.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
The only time I ever went to the Forum for wrestling was when the WWF and our local wrestling alliance organized a tournament; our best against theirs. It was a packed house and some great matches, i forgot most of them, but the final was The Iron Sheik with his Russian partner Volkof versus Dino Bravo and newcomer, King Tonga. It was a best of three and did not disappoint. Our guys won the third round in spectacular fashion and the Forum exploded as if Guy had just scored. Rasslin' was fun back then.
Always loved the promo’s on TV , Georgia Championship Wrestling was tops! My all-time favorite promo’s where from Canadas greatest athlete, the incomparable Iron Mike Sharp!!!

Watching the documentary "Awnold" on Netflix. It's pretty good.

He's so much more articulate now, at 70-something, and funny. A series/film like this has been a long time coming.
I’m gonna start a war now…. Sergio was better!!!!!

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Was able to see this mini-series encompassing the life of Anne Frank. It captures the life of everyone involved and can feel the tension,stress,anxiety,whatever and I have first hand accounts of the time and situation. What made it more grim is the hope that they are having when you know how it all ends.

Liev Schreiber is in it? didn't recognize him.lol
Will have to see this sensitive subject matter.

Found some interviews from the cast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad