OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Saw Guardians last night. I thought it was excellent. Not sure if it was better than the first, but better than the second and I think top-10 among the Marvel movies. Have to make a list, but it was good.

Being better than the 2nd one is not hard. The 2nd one was Orville Redenbacher's Popcorn quality. First one was great though it was a better Star Wars than the new Star Wars ...

Reactions: Redux91

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I'm watching Things to Come, a SF movie from 1936. At Silverscreen classic channel. The original and that movie was directed in a way H G Wells liked it, because he was unhappy the way some of his nivels have been translated into the big screen in his living time. The movie cost a lot at the time, the special effects shows great mapping paintings to create futusistic city, It's a post war SF movie. The conquerous vilain looks like Mussolini. This SF movie comes after Metropolis in quality. The acting is a bit theatrical and bold but it's played ok for the time. Very british actors who did a lot of Shakespeare but it works fine. Too bad it's in B&W but it's 1936. The futuristics airplanes are cool and the costumes too.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Am I the only one who find the final song of action movie sucks? The movie was ok, the good guy win at the end after a lot of fights and adventures. Then to close the movie they hire this kind of red neck singer, a singer who seems to have smoked 3 millions cigarettes in his life, he groans more than he sings, a style between country and blues. He could be doing his morning No2 and it wouldn't be different. Why movie producers hire that kind of singer?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I know it doesn't belong here...but frankly...I think we should make a movie out of this....I had the stupidest dream ever last night......I dreamt that Renaud f***ing Lavoie was mad at Andrei Markov for dissing him earlier in the year. So Lavoie beat the shit out of Markov. 7, 8 blows to the head, and then was trying on him some wrestling moves, bodyslams and all.....Until.....Joel Armia came in and beat the crap out of Lavoie....

Then, Lavoie came out in a restaurant where Journalists were all there after the game and I was talking to him about what the hell happened with him and he was expected to be fired from TVA any second...I also happened to see my father, who is passed away, as well as one of favourite aunt who's also passed away.....

A f***ing crazy night. lolll

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Air is an entertaining movie even if it’s slow at times. Some solid performances by Viola Davis, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon. The story is compelling, esp. the huge part played by Jordan’s mother in the ultimate contractual terms that made Jordan a billionaire.

Sonny Vaccaro (Damon), the Nike executive who risked it all to get a deal done with Jordan, was an incredible visionary and likely the least known in the whole equation but this movie gives him his due.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'm watching Things to Come, a SF movie from 1936. At Silverscreen classic channel. The original and that movie was directed in a way H G Wells liked it, because he was unhappy the way some of his nivels have been translated into the big screen in his living time. The movie cost a lot at the time, the special effects shows great mapping paintings to create futusistic city, It's a post war SF movie. The conquerous vilain looks like Mussolini. This SF movie comes after Metropolis in quality. The acting is a bit theatrical and bold but it's played ok for the time. Very british actors who did a lot of Shakespeare but it works fine. Too bad it's in B&W but it's 1936. The futuristics airplanes are cool and the costumes too.

Jeeze, I watched that in film class like a quarter century ago. iirc, it was Histoire du Cinéma. Saw Lang's Metropolis for the first time in that same course. Le Cuirassé Potemkine also.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Am I the only one who find the final song of action movie sucks? The movie was ok, the good guy win at the end after a lot of fights and adventures. Then to close the movie they hire this kind of red neck singer, a singer who seems to have smoked 3 millions cigarettes in his life, he groans more than he sings, a style between country and blues. He could be doing his morning No2 and it wouldn't be different. Why movie producers hire that kind of singer?

Y'know... nobody will hold it against you if you like Jason Statham movies, so no need to piss around the pot, just name the damn movie you're talking about! :biglaugh:

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Air is an entertaining movie even if it’s slow at times. Some solid performances by Viola Davis, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon. The story is compelling, esp. the huge part played by Jordan’s mother in the ultimate contractual terms that made Jordan a billionaire.

Sonny Vaccaro (Damon), the Nike executive who risked it all to get a deal done with Jordan, was an incredible visionary and likely the least known in the whole equation but this movie gives him his due.
Ultra niche film no? surprised so many got behind it.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I watched the Queen's Gambit with my wife, we both loved it. Very captivating show with good characters, good plotting, good design and in my opinion a superior portrayal of genius than what we see out of many so-called "dramatizations based on a true story". We see that the main character, Beth Harmon, has a long road to the top and is a road that requires each of talent, obsession, and perseverence.

I appreciated the parallel plots of male (fathers and husbands) abandonment of women, contrasted with the positive impact of male friends.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Those were good but was he a primary in them?been so long I don't remember.
He was one of the most important character in Snatch along with Brad Pitt. In Lock Stock he was among a group of 4-5 guys who were part of the gang can't remember how many there was. He was good in those movies.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
He was one of the most important character in Snatch along with Brad Pitt. In Lock Stock he was among a group of 4-5 guys who were part of the gang can't remember how many there was. He was good in those movies.
That's how long it's been,even forgot Pitt was in it.lol. Redford was though right?or am I mixing it up with something else?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They keep churning them out and I'll keep going. lol.

Does this Indy story not look very similar to prior offerings? Was Jones not supposed to retrieve a “legendary” artifact in the others? Did they come up with a new and improved more legendary artifact in this one?

It’s like the Mission Impossible franchise with Tom Cruise, appearing in all of its 8 movies. There is nothing “impossible” about them if you keep churning out so many.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ultra niche film no? surprised so many got behind it.
Niche how? You don’t need to be a basketball fan to appreciate it. In fact, the basketball footage is just a complement — it’s about the strength and vision of the characters behind the signing of Jordan, the improbable odds faced by Nike who was lagging behind Adidas and Converse on revenue at the time, the incredible vision and gumption of Nike’s Sonny Vaccaro in how he locked in on Jordan cause he saw something in him that few others had — and his hands on approach in how he got his foot in the door with the Jordan family, when Jordan himself preferred and wore Adidas shoes and announced that he was not interested in other brands.

It’s also about how smart and tenacious Jordan’s mother was. The deal she made for her son completely changed how athletes would get compensated on shoe deals. What she did and insisted upon, had never been done before. She was a trailblazer and so was Sonny Vaccaro — he blew all of Nike’s budget on one player rather than the three signings that their board of directors had tabbed the money for.

That’s what makes this movie tick. Sure, it was a nice shoe and its color scheme was illegal by the NBA rules of the day. But, several strong minded individuals made it happen. It’s how there was so much adversity and how a few visionaries managed to get past it.

Viola Davis is so sharp as Jordan’s mother. And she was not even initially thought about for the role — when Ben Affleck met with Michael Jordan, he asked him what were elements that he absolutely had to have for this movie.

One of them was how much influence and impact Jordan’s mother exerted in getting the deal done. And another was how Jordan wanted Vilola Davis to play his mother. That was something that Affleck wasn’t prepared for and he feared he wasn’t going to be able to get her to commit to the role.

The whole thing is just so interesting from both sides of the camera. And for one of those rare times, no guns, explosions nor CGI needed.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Does this Indy story not look very similar to prior offerings? Was Jones not supposed to retrieve a “legendary” artifact in the others? Did they come up with a new and improved more legendary artifact in this one?

It’s like the Mission Impossible franchise with Tom Cruise, appearing in all of its 8 movies. There is nothing “impossible” about them if you keep churning out so many.
I'm sure it is but I was hoping in this one some sort of time travel is involved and he ends up discovering his very own corpse........................along with R2D2.lol.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Niche how? You don’t need to be a basketball fan to appreciate it. In fact, the basketball footage is just a complement — it’s about the strength and vision of the characters behind the signing of Jordan, the improbable odds faced by Nike who was lagging behind Adidas and Converse on revenue at the time, the incredible vision and gumption of Nike’s Sonny Vaccaro in how he locked in on Jordan cause he saw something in him that few others had — and his hands on approach in how he got his foot in the door with the Jordan family, when Jordan himself preferred and wore Adidas shoes and announced that he was not interested in other brands.

It’s also about how smart and tenacious Jordan’s mother was. The deal she made for her son completely changed how athletes would get compensated on shoe deals. What she did and insisted upon, had never been done before. She was a trailblazer and so was Sonny Vaccaro — he blew all of Nike’s budget on one player rather than the three signings that their board of directors had tabbed the money for.

That’s what makes this movie tick. Sure, it was a nice shoe and its color scheme was illegal by the NBA rules of the day. But, several strong minded individuals made it happen. It’s how there was so much adversity and how a few visionaries managed to get past it.

Viola Davis is so sharp as Jordan’s mother. And she was not even initially thought about for the role — when Ben Affleck met with Michael Jordan, he asked him what were elements that he absolutely had to have for this movie.

One of them was how much influence and impact Jordan’s mother exerted in getting the deal done. And another was how Jordan wanted Vilola Davis to play his mother. That was something that Affleck wasn’t prepared for and he feared he wasn’t going to be able to get her to commit to the role.

The whole thing is just so interesting from both sides of the camera. And for one of those rare times, no guns, explosions nor CGI needed.
Just it seems that it would have limited appeal,not all that interesting to most. But people like what they like and find interesting. So often is the case is that movies that are inspired by real events have a tendency to get blown out of the actual reality of it. From a historical standpoint perhaps it might be more interesting to some but a biography documentary style might be better served,just seems like trying to cash in but that's my perspective and my choice if I want to see it or not.Personally I'd much rather see a doc about things like this than a movie but in this case not even. It might grab the foot fetish crowd around,I don't know and I don't know if I'm even allowed to broach that topic so I'll scurry off before more strident measure are put in place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad