OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just it seems that it would have limited appeal,not all that interesting to most. But people like what they like and find interesting. So often is the case is that movies that are inspired by real events have a tendency to get blown out of the actual reality of it. From a historical standpoint perhaps it might be more interesting to some but a biography documentary style might be better served,just seems like trying to cash in but that's my perspective and my choice if I want to see it or not.Personally I'd much rather see a doc about things like this than a movie but in this case not even. It might grab the foot fetish crowd around,I don't know and I don't know if I'm even allowed to broach that topic so I'll scurry off before more strident measure are put in place.
I agree that most movies about real life events tend not to correctly reflect all that happened or will over-dramatize certain situations or acting for entertainment value.

I mean, who wants to see all the other key aspects that went into Vaccaro’s dealings that depended on long and tedious contractual clauses? Some editorial choices are definitely made for the sake of producing a good story. I’m OK with not getting an exact play by play — give me the “inspired by” real life events advisory and actors I enjoy watching like Matt Damon and Viola Davis and I’m entertained.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Can't believe we will have two original movies by two great directors this year.

Killers of the Flower Moon by Martin Scorsese and Oppenheimer by Nolan. Looking forward to both movies they both look great.
Funny, just saw a Twitter post about the Martin Scorsese film, Killers of the Flower Moon and was about to post about it:

Should we trust Leonardo? The production on that trailer alone is epic.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I agree that most movies about real life events tend not to correctly reflect all that happened or will over-dramatize certain situations or acting for entertainment value.

I mean, who wants to see all the other key aspects that went into Vaccaro’s dealings that depended on long and tedious contractual clauses? Some editorial choices are definitely made for the sake of producing a good story. I’m OK with not getting an exact play by play — give me the “inspired by” real life events advisory and actors I enjoy watching like Matt Damon and Viola Davis and I’m entertained.
Ya,it kind of tarnishes what otherwise would feel more genuine.

With ''true events'' movies in particular,it's a must to have performances from the actors that are without reproach,some hit, some miss, some times it's poor casting imo.That being said,we choose films about the primary subject matter rather that the performers. I've seen my share of shitty movies where the star did do a brilliant performance but that couldn't salvage the film.

Looking forward to this one as I met Hans Bethe and am curious how the actor portrays him. The movie as well of course as it shaped the future of mankind.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal

Very entertaining movie about the rise and fall of the Blackberry story, and also basically seeing Balsillie screaming at everyone including Gary Bettman. Just came from watching this yesterday and still chuckling over it

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Very entertaining movie about the rise and fall of the Blackberry story, and also basically seeing Balsillie screaming at everyone including Gary Bettman. Just came from watching this yesterday and still chuckling over it

Liking all the nutjobs in that trailer — hoping it didn’t give all the best parts away.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Ultra niche film no? surprised so many got behind it.

How is it niche at all?

It's a classic underdog story about a guy with a big idea that needs people to get on board with this idea and take a big risk and believe in what he believes in.

It's one of those rare stories where despite the outcome being very well known, they still put together such a compelling story that all of the drama still works.

But I don't see how it's niche at all.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Name me a single great movie made after 2015 that would compete against the classics of the 1960-1999 period. Cinema and film is a dying art form.

I find myself rediscovering old classics instead of wasting my time watching new movies at this point.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Same guy who directed it is behind one of the funniest Canadian shows ever, Nirvana the Band the Show. Definitely going to see this.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Niche how? You don’t need to be a basketball fan to appreciate it. In fact, the basketball footage is just a complement — it’s about the strength and vision of the characters behind the signing of Jordan, the improbable odds faced by Nike who was lagging behind Adidas and Converse on revenue at the time, the incredible vision and gumption of Nike’s Sonny Vaccaro in how he locked in on Jordan cause he saw something in him that few others had — and his hands on approach in how he got his foot in the door with the Jordan family, when Jordan himself preferred and wore Adidas shoes and announced that he was not interested in other brands.

It’s also about how smart and tenacious Jordan’s mother was. The deal she made for her son completely changed how athletes would get compensated on shoe deals. What she did and insisted upon, had never been done before. She was a trailblazer and so was Sonny Vaccaro — he blew all of Nike’s budget on one player rather than the three signings that their board of directors had tabbed the money for.

That’s what makes this movie tick. Sure, it was a nice shoe and its color scheme was illegal by the NBA rules of the day. But, several strong minded individuals made it happen. It’s how there was so much adversity and how a few visionaries managed to get past it.

Viola Davis is so sharp as Jordan’s mother. And she was not even initially thought about for the role — when Ben Affleck met with Michael Jordan, he asked him what were elements that he absolutely had to have for this movie.

One of them was how much influence and impact Jordan’s mother exerted in getting the deal done. And another was how Jordan wanted Vilola Davis to play his mother. That was something that Affleck wasn’t prepared for and he feared he wasn’t going to be able to get her to commit to the role.

The whole thing is just so interesting from both sides of the camera. And for one of those rare times, no guns, explosions nor CGI needed.

I hope that whoever ends up doing MJ's biopic one day, will do as fine a job as they did in this movie.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Name me a single great movie made after 2015 that would compete against the classics of the 1960-1999 period. Cinema and film is a dying art form.

I find myself rediscovering old classics instead of wasting my time watching new movies at this point.

Hollywood is even more big money than it used to be. When the profit motive becomes all-consuming, corporatized and institutionalized, there's an inevitable tendency to over rely on what has already worked. On formulas, and sellable faces and personalities. This ultimately stiffles creativity. To be creative is to risk and there's no more risk averse than those who seek strong steady gains.

But just more succintly, money just f***in ruins everything.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Damn , Guardians 3 was actually pretty great,
Little emotional I can't lie lol (it's the animal stuff for sure)
A terrific send off, and most likely the "real end" of the MCU, they'll never reach this level again. Try as they will

Gunn really knows how to make a movie man.

Reactions: sandviper

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not sure if this has been posted, but I'm really looking forward to this series. Looks intriguing for sure. Plus the fact I'm a big fan of Robert Downey Jr. has me doubly excited.

Based on a Pulitzer Prize winning novel, looks promising.

Since you like Downey, you’re getting two of them in this one with his wife part of the production team.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I watched the Queen's Gambit with my wife, we both loved it. Very captivating show with good characters, good plotting, good design and in my opinion a superior portrayal of genius than what we see out of many so-called "dramatizations based on a true story". We see that the main character, Beth Harmon, has a long road to the top and is a road that requires each of talent, obsession, and perseverence.

I appreciated the parallel plots of male (fathers and husbands) abandonment of women, contrasted with the positive impact of male friends.
Was one of my favourite shows when it first came out. Thanks for the reminder. It might be time to run it back. I enjoyed it very much. Big chess fan myself and love to play here and there.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Parasite

You may have a point, but it makes no sense to compare the best films of a 40 year period to the current slew from a mich shorter time frame.

There's also more relative talent on TV now, and more relative talent internationally.

We should expect American art to decline, as it is America that is declining. Similarly to how Roman statues grew less and less impressive between 200 and 500 AD, and similarly to how the best painters were Italian around 1500 AD, but not afterwards. But at the same time, other societies are progressing. In the future we should expect the best films to come from parts of East Asia, Eastern Europe, Africa, and Latin America.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

What genre? There have been some great sci-fi: The Martian and Inception I thought were amazing films.

Drama, I thought the Green Book was excellent. The Revenant and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood I loved.

Action, the John Wick franchise is right up there.

Comedy has definitely taken a nosedive. I was complaining to my wife that the issue with comedy is in our lame cancel/woke culture, all the “good” jokes are all off limits now.

In terms of pure spectacle, Top Gun: Maverick was amazing. I can’t think of too many films that truly gave me an adrenaline rush in quite some time.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
What genre? There have been some great sci-fi: The Martian and Inception I thought were amazing films.

Drama, I thought the Green Book was excellent. The Revenant and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood I loved.

Comedy has definitely taken a nosedive. I was complaining to my wife that the issue with comedy is in our lame cancel/woke culture, all the “good” jokes are all off limits now.

In terms of pure spectacle, Top Gun: Maverick was amazing. I can’t think of too many films that truly gave me an adrenaline rush in quite some time.
Top Gun Maverick was good, but IMO it's actually a counterexample, as the original Top Gun was much better. It had both a better romance and a better bromance. Just compare the beach volleyball scene to the ultimate frisbee scene -- they don't actually compare. The original also had a better soundtrack.

That said, it has *always* been difficult to make a sequel.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Parasite

You may have a point, but it makes no sense to compare the best films of a 40 year period to the current slew from a mich shorter time frame.

There's also more relative talent on TV now, and more relative talent internationally.

We should expect American art to decline, as it is America that is declining. Similarly to how Roman statues grew less and less impressive between 200 and 500 AD, and similarly to how the best painters were Italian around 1500 AD, but not afterwards. But at the same time, other societies are progressing. In the future we should expect the best films to come from parts of East Asia, Eastern Europe, Africa, and Latin America.
Other societies are progressing but Canada doesn’t make your list?!? When will it be our turn?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Parasite

Thanks for the suggestions.

About 40yr vs. 9yr, take any 9 yr period from 1960-99 and the movies are easily better than in the last 9 yrs.

Agreed about America, but I also think internet changed the game. No single culture dominating everything, where everyone sees X or Y movie anymore.

For recent movies, I enjoyed Under the Silver Lake in 2018. Felt original.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

Even for sci-fi, they were more great movies from 1960-99.

Inception is from 2010.

The John Wick Franchise is good, but what makes it unique is that it feel like any other action movies from the 1980s/1990s golden era. There used to be several John Wicks a year back then.

Reactions: sandviper

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Canada is a part of American or Anglo-American civilization. If America declines, so will Canada.
To be fair, the US has been siphoning Canada’s talent since at least from the early days of vaudeville, radio and talkies.

Also, our Quebec movie industry has been thriving, even receiving US and international recognition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad