OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Also saw D&D at the movies last week, enough said.

Last epiosde on the Mandalorian is one of the best, this season was a bit of a let down but yesterday’s episode was great

LV426

Oct 28, 2021
New Brunswick
I watched it as soon as it came out. I had a reason to seek it out, my daughter co-wrote one of the songs that ended up on the series' soundtrack. I won't go into too much further detail but it was quite the thrill to see that materialize.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Wow, nice. :nod:

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is off the beaten track:

The Mysterious Old Radio Listening Society Podcast revisits the great horror and suspense shows from the golden age of radio, including tales from Suspense, Lights Out Everybody, The Witch’s Tale, The Shadow, and more. Each episode features a classic, or maybe-not-so classic story from the scary old-time radio vault, complete with historical notes and nerdy trivia. At the end of each podcast, your hosts, Tim, Joshua and Eric discuss the merits of the story and decide whether or not it stands the test of time.

Before TV, radio ruled and created a theatre of the mind that listeners were hooked on in the 30s and 40s, with good production value. This art form fell by the wayside in the 50s with the emergence of TV.

Several of those early recorded shows have survived and are available as a podcast for free. If you want to give it a shot: The Mysterious Old Radio Listening Society Archives - Ghoulish Delights

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I enjoyed The Office overall but never considered rewatching it as it’s one hell of a commitment with the slow pace it has. Did you watch the Brit version?

I was able to take on Ozark a few times. I’ll sometimes rewatch movies like Shawshank, The Count of Montecristo, Limitless. Otherwise, if I’d have to rewatch a series, Seinfeld, Curb, Lord of the Rings, might be appealing to revisit.

Curious to know from everyone which movies or series are so appealing to you that you’ve made it a habit to rewatch.

There a few tv shows I have rewatched.

-simspons (up to season 8) because it stops being simpsons after that

-seinfeld

-King of the hill (this one has aged wonderfully)

Out of the movies, there's a few that I've watched a couple times but very few that I've watched 3 times or more. They usually tend to be holiday classics, but

Bad Santa is one I can watch again and again.

HelloBellyvo

Jul 2, 2019
I'm not sure if this show has already been recommended but "The extraordinary attorney Woo " centers on a character under the autism spectrum. The casting is impeccable. A must watch on Netflix

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Cringy humor and terrible CGI sounds like par for the course for Marvel.

Sounds like you don't like that it's a movie for teenage girls. Maybe you can enjoy one of the 100 other superhero movies that already exist instead?

In fairness, I am a Marvel fan but phase 4 was a bit of a mess and I wasn’t too impressed with this Marvels trailer also.

However, I’m not sure what people expect from escapism. It‘s meant to be a couple hours of spectacle and light on deep thought. Despite not really liking this trailer, maybe the movie will be better. While I just criticized phase 4 a moment ago (I know phase 5 started already), I will commend them for trying different genres. Mixed success, but it is what it is.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There a few tv shows I have rewatched.

-simspons (up to season 8) because it stops being simpsons after that

-seinfeld

-King of the hill (this one has aged wonderfully)

Out of the movies, there's a few that I've watched a couple times but very few that I've watched 3 times or more. They usually tend to be holiday classics, but

Bad Santa is one I can watch again and again.
I just watched Bad Santa. There are more F-Bombs in there than in the movie In Bruges. :laugh:

Billy Bob Thornton plays a masterful drunk and the rest of the cast fits right in. John Ritter was in it and in the credits, it was sad to see his name preceded by “in loving memory of”.

I could definitely see the appeal as an offbeat Christmas movie. There’s a sequel that you didn’t mention. Maybe it didn’t capture the magic of the first movie? Something to look into, maybe.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I just watched Bad Santa. There are more F-Bombs in there than in the movie In Bruges. :laugh:

Billy Bob Thornton plays a masterful drunk and the rest of the cast fits right in. John Ritter was in it and in the credits, it was sad to see his name preceded by “in loving memory of”.

I could definitely see the appeal as an offbeat Christmas movie. There’s a sequel that you didn’t mention. Maybe it didn’t capture the magic of the first movie? Something to look into, maybe.

Glad you enjoyed it!

I did watch the 2nd one, and honestly, I don't remember much about it. If I remember correctly, the actress who played BBT's love interest was not in that one.

I didn't hate it, but like most movies, it's the first one that stands out.

It really is for all of time. Mike Judge has always been tuned in

I love judge's work.

Beavis and butthead
King of the hill
Office space
Idiocracy

These shows/movies are right up my alley.

I heard there is a koth reboot in the works.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
In fairness, I am a Marvel fan but phase 4 was a bit of a mess and I wasn’t too impressed with this Marvels trailer also.

However, I’m not sure what people expect from escapism. It‘s meant to be a couple hours of spectacle and light on deep thought. Despite not really liking this trailer, maybe the movie will be better. While I just criticized phase 4 a moment ago (I know phase 5 started already), I will commend them for trying different genres. Mixed success, but it is what it is.
I'm not very familiar with Phase 4 vs Phase 5, I'm not a big Marvel fan.

But what bothers is is that breed of nerd that feels that Marvel movies somehow belongs "to them", and if anyone even tries a movie aimed at a different demographic, they freak out like a sadistic troop of chimpanzees. Feels Gamergate-ish all over again. Sorry neckbeards, neither video games nor Marvel movies belong to you :dunno:

FWIW I loved the trailer though, Intergalactic sample was sick :yo:

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Saw a trailer for this,got to see asap! Of course a change of undergarments and slacks might be necessary.lol.

If you liked the first Bad Santa,you'll equally like the 2nd. Filmed in Montreal BTW

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Watched the series and enjoyed it. It has several introspective moments.

It's a little folksy, small town atmosphere but tackling serious and topical issues. It reminded me of the traditional power newspapers once had but given how most small papers are struggling and are often shut down, this series would have had greater credence twenty years ago. Still, nice job by Swank. Something that could easily be appealing to those looking to watch as a couple.

Also, if you liked Virgin River on Netflix, there is another series from the same author that has the same kind of vibe. It's called Sullivan's Crossing.
Just you or others in your circle?
We'll check it out when we're back home along with many others.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just you or others in your circle?
« The content is solely the author's and does not reflect the opinions and beliefs of this website or its affiliates, the author’s circle nor that of any other intervenant, real or imagined. » :sarcasm:

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
« The content is solely the author's and does not reflect the opinions and beliefs of this website or its affiliates, the author’s circle nor that of any other intervenant, real or imagined. » :sarcasm:
For the record, you were not coerced and freely admitting that you are a DIY kind of guy?lol.

• Haha

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Marc Labrèche with a MSL parody. Not that convincing to me.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
The Diplomat.

My body is ready! Going to be an awesome ride. Checks every box for me.

:thumbu:

That cast is near legendary level.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Oh, yeah, so this akin to an NHL team playing McDavid on their third line cause of their depth. Jeebus. What?

I have'nt looked into this because a - I knew Russell/Sewell power duo (and Gyasi added for shits an giggles; oh mama) they (producers) won't f*** around with and b - cause politicas, diplomacy and intrigue is my very favourite sub-genre of TV. Top of the list.

but now I'm watching this and seeing lead Oscar level nominees playing supporting roles. Emmy winners get cameos next I suppose? Holy crap, this was not cheap to make and I guarantee you - acting will not suck here. The script might, but wih this cast is just impossible to let viewers down. Ain't gonna happen.

Yeah, perfect timing as you-know-what is cooking in an easy-bake oven so that I can watch it all in one sitting one minute after its last episode airs.

This Diplomat is a very very welcome distraction for me. I'd set the bar at Ozark and start ratcheting it up from there. Preliminary, basseles prediction of course (10 minutes in), but that is the sense I get already. This is going to be as riot, at least for me.

See you on the other side! Not getting of the couch until this one is in the books entirely.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Oh, yeah, so this like akin to an NHL team playing McDavid on their third line cause of their depth. Jeebus. What?

I have'nt looked into this because a - I knew Russell/Sewell power duo they (producers) won't f*** around with and b - cause politicas, diplomacy and intrigue is my very favourite sub-genre of TV. Top of the list.

but now I'm watching this and seeing lead Oscar level nominees playing supporting roles. Emmy winners get cameos next I suppose? Holy crap, this was not cheap to make and I guarantee you - acting will not suck here. The script might, but wih this cast is just impossible to let viewers down. Ain't gonna happen.

Yeah, perfect timing as you-know-what is cooking in an easy-bake oven swo I can watching it all in one sitting one minute after it's last episode airs.

This Diplomat is a very very welcome distraction for me. I'd set the bar at Ozark and start ratcheting it up from there. Preliminary, basseles prediction of course (10 minutes in), but that is the sense I get already. This is going to be as riot, at least for me.

See you on the other side! Not getting of the couch until this one is in the books entirely.
Watching hockey but as soon as I’m done, I’ll be diving in. I had seen the promo for this via Netflix’s general mailing and was intrigued. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Watching hockey but as soon as I’m done, I’ll be diving in. I had seen the promo for this via Netflix’s general mailing and was intrigued. Thanks for the heads up.
This will have some "Americana", just heads-up. But I bet it will be distilled down a lot, to a minimum.

This is also going to be largely about each individual scene and their sequencing, will be a series of "frames" probably each somewhat "intimate" on the whole.

- it will be actor driven and "zoomed in". Acting will carry this. I can already tell. Fingers crossed the writing holds up to this epic group. I think they can sit in the oval office and light their farts on fire - and I'd still call that awesome performance individual by individual. It cannot be understated what kinda cast this is. Trying to think if I've ever come across a group this strong and coming up empty.

EDIT:

No, the script is a dare. Interesting how one can smell another between the legs in a completely non-sexual manner. Cause it's important to do here. It's not a flashy, but a routine scene. Brave and super cool. They'll be going for it in this one, yup.

Oh baby, the dirty undies of politics will come out here for all to see! Awesome, love it.

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
This is as heavy of a political show as there can ever be, but from an angle I have never seen before. Different, so so differewnt and I can't even say if I'm glad it's this different. But it is a new angle.

If you don't like political dramas - avoid this. This is advanced even for me already (for entirely different reasons) and I've probably seen every political drama of the last couple of decades to come out.

Crap, I'm itching to discuss this right now in depth cause its here. cause I think understand this now, what it goes for and will be.

This is not for everyone, you have been warned. This is advanced level reading, and not about patriotism, geopolitical situation or any any of that. It's there, but no one gives a shit about any of it. It's not about that. This is micro level, ultra micro. This is about people maintaining a facade that grants them certain privileges and their efforts to keep that at as little transparency as possible to use it to their advantage.

Micro, very micro picture here 1 hour in, not been done before to my knowledge. Trench wars rolling around in the mud. So yeah, there's war/global terrorist treat/whatever (just random examples) to paint the picture, but we need to discuss lack of a personal driver for me and why is it that I gotta ride cabs now. This micro. This is about squeezing last drop of advantage over those around you and using that to get just that little closer to the spotlight. It's a crawl that takes most decades and it's shown here from early on.

The macro landscape won't come into the focus, doesn't seem it was important to the people behind The Diplomat. Very fresh and interesting take, had this been satire - sure, been done. This isn't however. At the very least - you must know who ambassadors are why their posted here and not there and what it is that their primary role is. This is not explained here, you knowledge is assumed. You have to know about the White House connection to embassies and that interplay as well as ironclad family dynamics that exist and why they exist. Also who's the "wife" and why.Very different from say aforementioned Ozark cause here it's reversed and can't be any other way.

Okay, this is a big time surprise and @Runner77 - this might not be your cup of tea. This is not Borgen or The Honourable Woman, this is much more niche. Might change on a dime but doesn't look like the setup allows for it.

Hmm, outta left field. Had not expected this. A BBC deep dive with you Yanks as leads. Curiouser and curiouser...

This is certainly thought provoking, I can't stop discussing and thinking of every little detail. Awesome for hardcore fans of the genre. This is meant to be analyzed. The last show I dove into to this extent was The Affair (for different reasons having nothing to do with politics), but think of something like that one. Going over EP1 again now, cause you gotta soak up every little detail. It's a tough cookie that lost me a few times.

Why does the secretary of state have that in mind and what is the VP angle here? She is clearly not a lame duck, but why is she here? No clue what the interplay is. What is the plan for her and who is what, why, wtf. And her "wife" - what does he want. just an asshole that wants to have a dick measuring competition with everyone below him? Also a play for taking back the power he lost or just being a douche? He's a big time wild card so far. They don't show his hand at all.

Yeah,. no. They f***ing pull the rug out. WTF is this thing. No clue.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $656.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki