OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Thanks for that. Just got a promo from Netflix for it and now I think I’ll be giving it a shot.

I just finished watching the first episode of this new series, Lucky Hank. I went in blind, had no idea it starred Bob Odenkirk as he’s sporting a beard in the series poster. I quite enjoyed it. 4 episodes available so far:

I saw a promo for Lucky Hank and I may check that one out as well. You will love Beef, the actor that played Glen on The Walking dead is the lead actor and is amazing. The first three episodes are good but the show explodes from episode 5 right to episode 10. We loved it!

LV426

Oct 28, 2021
New Brunswick

OMG, this is what the Marvel franchise become?

giphy.gif

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Tulsa King (Paramount +): If you like series a la Breaking Bad (Bad guy doing cool shit) then this one should be right in your watch list. It won't win any awards, but Stallone in this old mobster that is a little out of touch is likeable. 35-40 min episodes so it's easy to go through. Season 2 already coming up. 8\10

The Night Agent (Netflix): typical action/political/espionage series with tons of twists and turns....maybe a little too much. Still enjoyable, fast paced so not many down time whcih is great for these type of series. , Cast is okay, production is okay.....it's an okay series. 7/10

Rabbit Hole (Paramount +): Kiefer Sutherland back in an espionnage serie....there's a feel of 24 in that series but they still tried to tone in down a little. Still, it feel a lot like a Jack Bauer series which is not a bad thing either. Very watchabe if you like action/thriller/espionage series. 7/10

Reactions: Runner77

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Yellowjackets on Crave is pretty good. It's like Lost but with cute girls. Plus the younger version of the main character is a talented québécoise actress, Sophie Nélisse. I didn't recognize her at first but she was in a chef d'oeuvre (Monsieur Lazhar, one of the most beautiful QC films imo) and I'm amazed at her accent because if it wasnt for her face that was kinda familiar I would've never guessed she was from here.

Anyway, the show slaps.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tulsa King (Paramount +): If you like series a la Breaking Bad (Bad guy doing cool shit) then this one should be right in your watch list. It won't win any awards, but Stallone in this old mobster that is a little out of touch is likeable. 35-40 min episodes so it's easy to go through. Season 2 already coming up. 8\10

The Night Agent (Netflix): typical action/political/espionage series with tons of twists and turns....maybe a little too much. Still enjoyable, fast paced so not many down time whcih is great for these type of series. , Cast is okay, production is okay.....it's an okay series. 7/10

Rabbit Hole (Paramount +): Kiefer Sutherland back in an espionnage serie....there's a feel of 24 in that series but they still tried to tone in down a little. Still, it feel a lot like a Jack Bauer series which is not a bad thing either. Very watchabe if you like action/thriller/espionage series. 7/10

Fair assessment of the 3 series, all of them interesting in their own way. I too kept thinking 24 with Rabbit Hole, esp. when Kiefer’s character took out the ear communication devices.

24 was such a fast-paced, breakthrough series. First name that came to mind when I thought of 24, was “Tony Almeida”. That name just stuck with me for some reason.

Since you seem to enjoy these types of suspense-action series, did you try Echo 3 (Apple TV)?

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
OMG, this is what the Marvel franchise become?

View attachment 685940
It's always been cinematic fast-food. Don't get me wrong I freaking love junk food and it can be satisfying when you have a craving but it's far from haute cuisine, can't really consider it as "art". In b4 I get called a wanna-be Martin Scorcese. I've seen most of them and even went to the theatre to see some, I'm not pretending I'm above these movies, I just never saw them as more than they were : CGI dudes in suits and capes dropping quips every 2 minutes.

Reactions: Fenris and Runner77

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Fair assessment of the 3 series, all of them interesting in their own way. I too kept thinking 24 with Rabbit Hole, esp. when Kiefer’s character took out the ear communication devices.

24 was such a fast-paced, breakthrough series. First name that came to mind when I thought of 24, was “Tony Almeida”. That name just stuck with me for some reason.

Since you seem to enjoy these types of suspense-action series, did you try Echo 3 (Apple TV)?

No didn't get into yet, but since you mention it, I'll watch it next time I get Apple (I'm flip flopping between the streaming devices, don't have Apple currently)

And yeah, 24 was really one of a kind, totally unique format, especially back then when it came out.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
It's always been cinematic fast-food. Don't get me wrong I freaking love junk food and it can be satisfying when you have a craving but it's far from haute cuisine, can't really consider it as "art". In b4 I get called a wanna-be Martin Scorcese. I've seen most of them and even went to the theatre to see some, I'm not pretending I'm above these movies, I just never saw them as more than they were : CGI dudes in suits and capes dropping quips every 2 minutes.
I don't watch a ton of superhero movies but they're fine by me all in all.

That being said, Scorsese can say whatever he damn well wants about Marvel movies. How that was ever any kind of controversy is ridiculous.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lo and behold, this legendary, brilliant man passed. I used to buy his magazine regularly. His sense of humor was universal. It influenced every kid who read it and as adults, they never forgot it.

What a life, Al Jaffee. Thank you for warping my world in a good way. RIP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenris

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
I loved the Mario Bros movie, even if they missed on a couple good references. Lot of Characters, my son really enjoyed it and all the adults as well, solid 8.5 .

Re-Watching the office like I do almost every year, still not sure which one is my favorite episode between the convict, fun run, diversity day

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Seems like all the shows being discussed are on some streaming platform now.

Is network tv dead?

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Well based on the trailer alone....Cringy humour, terrible cgi, Kevin Feige is involved,..etc. It looks like a movie for teenage girls.
Cringy humor and terrible CGI sounds like par for the course for Marvel.

Sounds like you don't like that it's a movie for teenage girls. Maybe you can enjoy one of the 100 other superhero movies that already exist instead?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I loved the Mario Bros movie, even if they missed on a couple good references. Lot of Characters, my son really enjoyed it and all the adults as well, solid 8.5 .

Re-Watching the office like I do almost every year, still not sure which one is my favorite episode between the convict, fun run, diversity day
I enjoyed The Office overall but never considered rewatching it as it’s one hell of a commitment with the slow pace it has. Did you watch the Brit version?

I was able to take on Ozark a few times. I’ll sometimes rewatch movies like Shawshank, The Count of Montecristo, Limitless. Otherwise, if I’d have to rewatch a series, Seinfeld, Curb, Lord of the Rings, might be appealing to revisit.

Curious to know from everyone which movies or series are so appealing to you that you’ve made it a habit to rewatch.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’ve been following The Ark, we’re 12 episodes into Season 1 and I’m liking the concept and storyline.

It’s taken me a while to appreciate some of the characters and some others are not the most compelling as their acting depth is shallow and some of the lines they deliver sound wooden. However, overall, this series’ twists and turns has surprised me — it reminds me of an older style of sci-fi.

If you’re looking to binge on a decent sci-fi series, I’d give this one a try. It’ll take a little time to get on board with the concept but after a few episodes, it hits a nice cruising speed. Reviews are a mixed bag so I wouldn’t trust them. Judge for yourself. Glad I stuck it out.

LV426

Oct 28, 2021
New Brunswick
I’ve been following The Ark, we’re 12 episodes into Season 1 and I’m liking the concept and storyline.

It’s taken me a while to appreciate some of the characters and some others are not the most compelling as their acting depth is shallow and some of the lines they deliver sound wooden. However, overall, this series’ twists and turns has surprised me — it reminds me of an older style of sci-fi.

If you’re looking to binge on a decent sci-fi series, I’d give this one a try. It’ll take a little time to get on board with the concept but after a few episodes, it hits a nice cruising speed. Reviews are a mixed bag so I wouldn’t trust them. Judge for yourself. Glad I stuck it out.

If you like The Ark you should check out this post-apocalyptic sci-fi series called The Rain.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If you like The Ark you should check out this post-apocalyptic sci-fi series called The Rain.
I watched it as soon as it came out. I had a reason to seek it out, my daughter co-wrote one of the songs that ended up on the series' soundtrack. I won't go into too much further detail but it was quite the thrill to see that materialize.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 3