OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Amazing backstory. When Stallone finally found an interested party for his screenplay, they offered him a large sum to not have him play the part, life-changing money, but he wouldn’t do it.

For me, that flick is a classic. It was a classic when I first saw it. I can remember getting into a heated discussion with a university buddy. We were both in Communication Studies at Concordia and he hated it. He was part of the intelligentsia, so he thought. He was also of Italian descent and didn't like the way Italians were portrayed. Being of southern extraction, I thought it rang true. He was a Northerner and was offended.

I have to add that I agree with his evaluation for the rest of the Rockys. For me, they never came close to the magic and power of that first one.

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Keanu has shot a small town’s worth of targets in any of the Wicks but, in real life, this is the kind of world building that resonates and he does his small part. This is not recent footage but it’s totally who he is. Plus, it’s a completely fabulous Canadian thing to do.

Never saw this clip but I heard he's very much like this in real life; super nice and chill.

Reactions: Runner77

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Enjoying this new action/ intrigue series on Netflix called Night Agent. It’s fast paced and there are several tense scenes.

Main character is likeable, I would even venture that he has the type of jawline that @Adam Michaels appreciates in his heroes/ Greek gods/ sports figures. It’s worth checking out just for that. :sarcasm:

Reading user comments on YouTube, a recurring word to describe the show is « addictive ». Many said they had to binge watch it, they couldn’t stop. One user said that it reminded one of the series 24, with Kiefer Sutherland.

This looks amazing actually. I used to love 24 also (not so much the latter seasons) and this sort of action conspiracy stuff I live for.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
shadow and bone season 2: 7.8/10 good season.

Mayor of Kingstown season 2: 7.8/10 good season.

Carnival Row season 2: 7.5/10 Good final season in a great production value show.

john wick 4: 7.5/10 Good superhero movie, good characters, good set location and set design. I would like less gun and more fight scene but it's still good entertainment.

Poker Face season 1: 7.3/10 Good main character in a Columbo-light show. Great 1st episode, good next 4 and then average next 5 episode.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
shadow and bone season 2: 7.8/10 good season.

Mayor of Kingstown season 2: 7.8/10 good season.

Carnival Row season 2: 7.5/10 Good final season in a great production value show.

john wick 4: 7.5/10 Good superhero movie, good characters, good set location and set design. I would like less gun and more fight scene but it's still good entertainment.

Poker Face season 1: 7.3/10 Good main character in a Columbo-light show. Great 1st episode, good next 4 and then average next 5 episode.
Essentially, 9 X Good and 1 X Great. ;)

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Now you ruined that show for me. :laugh:

I like the idea of survivalists finding ways to get through. I’m aware that it’s not completely real but have learned a few things about what to do and not to do if on the outside chance, I got stranded.

The biggest takeaway is how gear-dependant all survivalists are. When you have nothing, you don’t really have a big fighting chance. Despite some fakery, you routinely see people losing a ton of weight on that show — most of them look emaciated by the end of their 21-day challenge.

My favorite shows are when one of the contestants brings a bow and arrow and then end up getting a big kill that feeds them for days. It’s kind of cool seeing them bbq in a jungle.
Go on! lol. No wonder the expression ''no accounting for taste'' is so widely and liberally tossed about.

As commendable as it is that acquiring survival skills could be the difference between life or death, do you foresee yourself in that sort of predicament anytime in the future, and without any clothing?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Go on! lol. No wonder the expression ''no accounting for taste'' is so widely and liberally tossed about.

As commendable as it is that acquiring survival skills could be the difference between life or death, do you foresee yourself in that sort of predicament anytime in the future, and without any clothing?
Who knows what the days leading to the rapture, will entail. :sarcasm:

No accounting for taste? Taste has nothing to do with it, it’s just brainless entertainment. Most reality TV is. A good book is preferable but I’m not always inclined so these kinds of shows are great when I’m just looking for a simple diversion, warts and all.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandviper

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Who knows what the days leading to the rapture, will entail. :sarcasm:

No accounting for taste? Taste has nothing to do with it, it’s just brainless entertainment. Most reality TV is. A good book is preferable but I’m not always inclined so these kind of shows are great when I’m just looking for a simple diversion, warts and all.
Judging from what television networks are putting out,I'd say were already there.lol

It's simply a matter of preference,I'm not on board with shows that insult my intelligence, they blatantly lie to draw in viewers while exuding a semblance of reality and taking advantage and misinforming audiences. As repelled as I am from shows like that,I'll take that over a Keanu Reeves movie any day of the week,at least there is some fine acting along the way.lol.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
For me, that flick is a classic.
Is this one of your productions? :sarcasm:

Found this while randomly doom scrolling Twitter. It gives off powerful Michael Pezzetta vibes, for some reason.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
One of the best series on TV is sadly coming to an end.

You must've meant the best. ;)

This was expected and part of the vision all along. It must be remembered for the experience it is/was and not for dragging its feet for a few too many seasons like a lot productions end up to.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyone see this show? I was told about it from some people we met and yet to see it. Stars Hilary Swank,like her in a lot of movies, and apparently it's relevant as it addresses real issues albeit fictionalized,draws awareness at least. She's an investigative reporter and the reviews seem pretty good.

Watched the series and enjoyed it. It has several introspective moments.

It's a little folksy, small town atmosphere but tackling serious and topical issues. It reminded me of the traditional power newspapers once had but given how most small papers are struggling and are often shut down, this series would have had greater credence twenty years ago. Still, nice job by Swank. Something that could easily be appealing to those looking to watch as a couple.

Also, if you liked Virgin River on Netflix, there is another series from the same author that has the same kind of vibe. It's called Sullivan's Crossing.

Last edited:
Reactions: rik schau

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
great show, Season 1 blew me away.

Bill Hader yet another example of a 'comedic' actor taking it to the next level when giving them darker subject matter to work with. :nod:
While S1 also left me mind-blown, I actually think the show got stronger as it went along.

Its last season was the single best experience watching a TV show I've ever had, hands down. It was riveting, to put it mildly. Insane mastery on display there all around IMO.

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
My wife is watching Naked Gun again.

Great movie, one of my all time favourites, but I can't watch it every month like she does. :laugh:

• Wow

King Makar19

Dec 5, 2019
Finished S1 of Barry and Leftovers

Barry a masterpiece.
Leftovers im unsure. Ill continue. Shit is f***ed up

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Finished S1 of Barry and Leftovers

Barry a masterpiece.
Leftovers im unsure. Ill continue. Shit is f***ed up
Oh, The Leftovers...

One of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had. There was so much there, but IMO it got lost trying to outsmart itself. By the time I finally gave up on it, I had no idea what was going on or why should I care about any of it.

Perhaps you'll feel differently, but IMO you've seen the best of what it has to offer already and it's going to get worse, much much worse as it goes on.

Answers - it provides none.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Oh, The Leftovers...

One of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had. There was so much there, but IMO it got lost trying to outsmart itself. By the time I finally gave up on it, I had no idea what was going on or why should I care about any of it.

Perhaps you'll feel differently, but IMO you've seen the best of what it has to offer already and it's going to get worse, much much worse as it goes on.

Answers - it provides none.
I bailed on the Leftovers for the same reasons you did. I never made it to the end of the first season. Not everyone is capable of writing a screenplay that holds up. Someone screwed up what looked like a promising concept, big time.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I just finished watching Beef on Netflix and I loved it.
Thanks for that. Just got a promo from Netflix for it and now I think I’ll be giving it a shot.

I just finished watching the first episode of this new series, Lucky Hank. I went in blind, had no idea it starred Bob Odenkirk as he’s sporting a beard in the series poster. I quite enjoyed it. 4 episodes available so far:

Reactions: OldCraig71

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 3