OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Grew up watching CFCF 12 Pulse News with the hilarious and witty Don McGowan doing weather and hosting a travel show. That was an amazing cast he was part of, with the likes of Bill Haugland, Ron Reusch and Dick Irvin, Randy Tieman later joined by Mutsumi Takahashi, Brian Wilde and others.

He definitely was a Montreal icon to those who followed Pulse. He just knew how not to take himself too seriously and how to connect with his audience. I wasn’t a fan of weather reports but I actually looked forward to Don’s segment cause he’d always have something nutty up his sleeve and some of it was quite risqué humor.

My favorite part of Pulse newscasts was whenever Don did something so outrageous that the whole studio could be heard laughing (there was an echoey background laugh of camera people and behind the scenes types), as well as the on-camera people like super serious serious anchorman Bill Haugland who’d lose his composure and would laugh like a horse (he looked like one, when laughing out loud). Ron Reusch waiting for Don’s segment to be over so he could do his sportscast, could often be seen suppressing laughter and responding with dry humor before getting into his segment.

Those were great days for the media. Amazing on-air personalities who were real pros and knew how to hold your attention. They were also fixtures who could be counted upon to be with the station over many years so as a viewer, you had ample opportunity to build a rapport.

I know that other cities from those days had their own special people doing TV newscasts and had a real budget to work with and longevity but it’s not about that. Don was one of us, he was a Montrealer who chose to make his home here and who travelled the world. I feel privileged to have experienced those days and how Don and the rest of the crew created outstanding television.

RIP Don, and condolences to his family and friends.

Sad news,will have to inform the clan. a very amicable man,met him on several occasion,tinier than you'd think.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is the way day

giphy.gif
The day for what? Wear that costume and something weirdly phallic will ensue? :sarcasm:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sad news,will have to inform the clan. a very amicable man,met him on several occasion,tinier than you'd think.
If you care to share, I’d love to hear more of your encounters with McGowan. Was he as witty and funny as he was on TV? When you say “tinier”, you mean he was very small in stature? Couldn’t tell from a TV screen.

I only got to meet Ron Reusch and Dick Irvin once at a sports celebrity dinner and they accepted to pose for a photo with me but not without reminding me that they weren’t celebrity sports figures, lol. That’s it for my real life experience with the Pulse news desk.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Grew up watching CFCF 12 Pulse News with the hilarious and witty Don McGowan doing weather and hosting a travel show. That was an amazing cast he was part of, with the likes of Bill Haugland, Ron Reusch and Dick Irvin, Randy Tieman later joined by Mutsumi Takahashi, Brian Wilde, Rob Faulds and others.

He definitely was a Montreal icon to those who followed Pulse. He just knew how not to take himself too seriously and how to connect with his audience. I wasn’t a fan of weather reports but I actually looked forward to Don’s segment cause he’d always have something nutty up his sleeve and some of it was quite risqué humor.

My favorite part of Pulse newscasts was whenever Don did something so outrageous that the whole studio could be heard laughing (there was an echoey background laugh of camera people and behind the scenes types), as well as the on-camera people like super serious anchorman Bill Haugland who’d lose his composure and would laugh like a horse (he looked like one, when laughing out loud). Ron Reusch waiting for Don’s segment to be over so he could do his sportscast, could often be seen suppressing laughter and responding with dry humor or simply expressing disbelief at what Don had just done, before getting into his segment.

Those were great days for the media. Amazing on-air personalities who were real pros and knew how to hold your attention. They were also fixtures who could be counted upon to be with the station over many years so as a viewer, you had ample opportunity to build a rapport.

I know that other cities from those days had their own special people doing TV newscasts and had a real budget to work with and longevity but it’s not about that. Don was one of us, he was a Montrealer who chose to make his home here and who travelled the world. I feel privileged to have experienced those days and how Don and the rest of the crew created outstanding television.

RIP Don, and condolences to his family and friends.

Nice tribute. Used to get a kick out of one of his lines when it was cold: 'Cover your low lying areas'. Sad to hear, he was an original.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
If you care to share, I’d love to hear more of your encounters with McGowan. Was he as witty and funny as he was on TV? When you say “tinier”, you mean he was very small in stature? Couldn’t tell from a TV screen.

I only got to meet Ron Reusch and Dick Irvin once at a sports celebrity dinner and they accepted to pose for a photo with me but not without reminding me that they weren’t celebrity sports figures, lol. That’s it for my real life experience with the Pulse news desk.
Not a lot to say on the subject but that era it was common to have outdoor lawn parties,informal but dignified and cordial. Hosts would invite friends and neighborhood acquaintances and children were welcome although segregated. Typically there would be some individuals of note,Don was one of them.Limited interaction aside from the greeting and departure of event but was nice,polite and funny. Whenever I had a need to speak with my mother,Don on occasion was engrossed in conversation with her and they were always laughing and smiling,my mother liked him as she thought he was funny and charming,so a rather complete opposite of my father.

Of all the ''notable''people that attended these events,no one was anything but nice and polite,certainly no ego at all displayed from anyone, well except for maybe one,you could probably guess who that was.

Is that about the underbelly of non-fair trade honey and bee genocides?
Blood honey,DON'T BUY IT!

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nice tribute. Used to get a kick out of one of his lines when it was cold: 'Cover your low lying areas'. Sad to hear, he was an original.
Thanks. They had Mutsumi say a few words about her “old friend Don” on CTV’s newscast of that day, where they flashed photos of his heyday but it was rather short. The current weather person concluded the newscast by mentioning how there was snow and cold in the forecast and said: “as Don would say, don’t forget to put on your coat-des-neiges!”

I thought that line belonged to CKGM’s Ralph Lockwood but Don may have been the one who championed it first. For those not familiar with Montreal, we have a street called “Côte-des-neiges”, hence the phonetic play on words.

Reactions: Chili

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Thanks. They had Mutsumi say a few words about her “old friend Don” on CTV’s newscast of that day, where they flashed photos of his heyday but it was rather short. The current weather person concluded the newscast by mentioning how there was snow and cold in the forecast and said: “as Don would say, don’t forget to put on your coat-des-neiges!”

I thought that line belonged to CKGM’s Ralph Lockwood but Don may have been the one who championed it first. For those not familiar with Montreal, we have a street called “Côte-des-neiges”, hence the phonetic play on words.
Wasn't it Ralph Lockwood that would say that it's so cold out there you better put on your cote vertu? or something like that.

Reactions: Runner77

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Saw Creed 3 last night.

I'm a rocky and creed fan, I think this movie is the weaker of the 3 Creed, story is weak and easy all main actors are great. Jonathan Majors was really good in this movie, made it for me.

Lot of thing I can't say to avoid spoilers but this movie is a stretch.

Also didn't know about the Sylvester Stallone feud, that was disappointing as well.

Still a 7/10 even with a weak story because I love this boxing movies for some reason.

Reactions: sandviper

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
The English is a pice of shit I saw all in one sitting.

It was an extremely difficult watch for me that I had to take breaks from after each episode so it took me 12 or so hours to see the whole thing.

A sad, pathethic piece painting a world filled with sociopaths, serial murders and their victims. It takes a lot from Tarantino whom I simply no longer watch, but its writing is visibly weaker and it tries to make up for it with shocking violence, and more noticeably, zooming in on many (not few) portrayals of human scum and try to keep your eyeballs that way alone.

Towards the end The English dives even deeper, to the vey depths of a filled toilet bow, to make your stomach turn. Why? I have no idea as it is already 6 feet under and everyone gets it - no puppies licking anyone as the final cut. But it needs to go further. Upsetting and Blunt needs help producing and partially writing her (first for both) series in this manner. I'm disapponited and it was not expected in the slightest.

It is my honest believe healthy humansc should not expose themselves to such on-screen content regularly and unhealthy ones avoid it entirely.

The English is a piece of shit I will not talk about any more.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Wasn't it Ralph Lockwood that would say that it's so cold out there you better put on your cote vertu? or something like that.
It was a Lockwood go-to line but the weather person who was honouring Don’s memory, claimed that Don used to say it. I guess they both used it.

Reactions: rik schau

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Just wanna talk about the movie Once upon a time in Hollywood. Stylish movie. The story is the background. It's more a collection of anecdotes with a thin line of a story. The last scene is the most violent hippy carnage ever filmed. I think Tarantino doesn't like hippies. And he claim the rumour Bruce Lee was a small arrogant jerk. Said in interview Lee hated american born stunts, often hit them when he's not supposed to touch them. A way to create a controversy. Anyway, a movie a bit long. It's an ambiance movie. The story is secondary. This is a real modern violent american republican movie.
I think Tarantino make an assoiciation with hippies and today's woke. He must hate both and he takes fun punishing those he hate. DiCaprio is the second class actor trying hard to mimic McQueen or Eastwood but his stuntman (Pitt) is the real thing the actor is not able to deliver.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Speaking of Disney+...I noticed The third season of The Mandalorian is "out" on D+ and am wondering if the service is still doing staggered releases for a lot of its content that is actually watchable?

I'm not really asking because I want to gorge on this particular show ASAP (it's not my favourite thing but is decent enough to watch in a pinch IMO) but more because it doesn't align with any other business models in this domain, but I understand Disney has always been about milking the cow for all its worth. I dislike Disney, Lucas and all of the minions surrounding them and it's upsetting to see this continue into 2023. When will the sheep wake up if ever or is there anotheer Star Wars on the horizon? If so, let me know if it should be the first film of the saga I should finally watch? :laugh:

P.S. I still probably won't though. :P

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014

What've they done to my boys? :facepalm:

Speaking of Disney+...I noticed The third season of The Mandalorian is "out" on D+ and am wondering if the service is still doing staggered releases for a lot of its content that is actually watchable?

I'm not really asking because I want to gorge on this particular show ASAP (it's not my favourite thing but is decent enough to watch in a pinch IMO) but more because it doesn't align with any other business models in this domain, but I understand Disney has always been about milking the cow for all its worth. I dislike Disney, Lucas and all of the minions surrounding them and it's upsetting to see this continue into 2023. When will the sheep wake up if ever or is there anotheer Star Wars on the horizon? If so, let me know if it should be the first film of the saga I should finally watch? :laugh:

P.S. I still probably won't though. :P
It's still staggered

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
What've they done to my boys? :facepalm:

It's still staggered
Thanks.

I don't always watch D+ content but when I do I always make sue it doesn't cost me a single cent.

I'm going to continue the proud tradition if I ever get to the show I mentioned off the top.

This is the way.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Just wanna talk about the movie Once upon a time in Hollywood. Stylish movie. The story is the background. It's more a collection of anecdotes with a thin line of a story. The last scene is the most violent hippy carnage ever filmed. I think Tarantino doesn't like hippies. And he claim the rumour Bruce Lee was a small arrogant jerk. Said in interview Lee hated american born stunts, often hit them when he's not supposed to touch them. A way to create a controversy. Anyway, a movie a bit long. It's an ambiance movie. The story is secondary. This is a real modern violent american republican movie.
I think Tarantino make an assoiciation with hippies and today's woke. He must hate both and he takes fun punishing those he hate. DiCaprio is the second class actor trying hard to mimic McQueen or Eastwood but his stuntman (Pitt) is the real thing the actor is not able to deliver.

Quentin is a big Liberal I don't think he would try making a Republican movie. I can understand what you mean with the hippies and so forth but I think he doesn't descriminate with his violence. Nobody is sparred regardless of class, gender, race, sexual orientation, political spectrum. Look at the end of Hateful Eights, all he does to Jennifer Jason Leigh was horendous and horrific. Yet he made women heroes in a few times like in Jackie Brown and Kill Bill(you could say in Unglorious Basterds as well).

Last edited:
Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki