OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Anybody going to see Cocaine Bear this weekend? I feel like Hollywood jumped the shark with this movie ... can't wait for the video with the RLM guys talking about this movie.
Nah, because, as a superfan of the saga, I know better than to watch Cocaine Bear before its prequel - Oxycodone Penguin.

Waiting for that to drop first.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
A quick confession time. I'm a huge fan of Emily Blunt. I've seen everything there is with her in it, except one recent release.

Her and Amy Adams don't have a single disappointing production between the two of them. That is a fact and so it is written in stone. :innocent:

And they really try too.

So, I've been putting The English aside mostly because I had 0 TV times October-December, but now my body is ready.

Is this the first subpar appearance Blunt ever makes on camera? :scared:

Please, someone tell me.

EDIT: In all honestly, my expectations for THIS one are sky high. Might not be entirely objective, bu it checks a lot of boxes for me. Top thing in my queue that I am still dancing around.
Sharp objects absolutely sucked imo. I was waiting for it and then couldn’t even finish it. Just brutal.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Sharp objects absolutely sucked imo. I was waiting for it and then couldn’t even finish it. Just brutal.
That's harsh IMO, but, yes, Sharp Objects was disappointing overall. I waited for that for two years, just once they whispered about the production starting later in the year I was all in. The novel is one of my favourite books ever. I re-read it every so often still. Adams did all she could there, the fault lies not with her. It was/is a very difficult subject matter to portray using film as the media. It's is extremely, extremely nuanced (the book) and was always going to be a challenge. They couldn't cast the town as the villain that it is here and that was a big failure. Without that the individual storylines of which there are many felt disjointed and somewhat irrelevant.

If you do read the novel or have read it - you will be more forgiving of the mini-series I think, but I am not arguing it was a success. There's simply no leg to stand here if I were. But, no, it did not suck. Acting was nailed. Soundtrack epic. The flashback were perhaps the very best part of the whole thing and done on point.

But, what I really wanted to type as my reply... You didn't really think I was serious, did you making bold statements I did in my OP. I do like the women, but, no, I am not honestly behind a stement they are up there with real icons and have impeccable resumes/filmographies. :)

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
That's harsh IMO, but, yes, Sharp Objects was disappointing overall. I waited for that for two years, just once they whispered about the production starting later in the year I was all in. The novel is one of my favourite books ever. I re-read it every so often still. Adams did all she could there, the fault lies not with her. It was/is a very difficult subject matter to portray using film as the media. It's is extremely, extremely nuanced (the book) and was always going to be a challenge. They couldn't cast the town as the villain that it is here and that was a big failure. Without that the individual storylines of which there are many felt disjointed and somewhat irrelevant.

If you do read the novel or have read it - you will be more forgiving of the mini-series I think, but I am not arguing it was a success. There's simply no leg to stand here if I were. But, no, it did not suck. Acting was nailed. Soundtrack epic. The flashback were perhaps the very best part of the whole thing and done on point.

But, what I really wanted to type as my reply... You didn't really think I was serious, did you making bold statements I did in my OP. I do like the women, but, no, I am not honestly behind a stement they are up there with real icons and have impeccable resumes/filmographies. :)
I’m sure the acting was superb. Adams always delivers imo. I felt the series was a complete train wreck if I’m being honest. From start to finish, it wasn’t even watchable.

I held on much longer than I should have waiting for it to turn around and it just got worse and worse until I said enough is enough. Probably the most I’ve ever been disappointed for a much anticipated series. Well the finale of GoT was probably my most disappointing. The entire final seasons was a mess, but sharp objects gives it a run for its money. I might have to read the novel now and then try to run it back and see if I feel any different about it.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Did you guys hear about the Canadian who was arrested in Oregon?

First he went to someone's porch in Astoria (where they filmed the Goonies) and threw a large fish there. Then he stole a boat but the weather was bad so he had to do a Mayday. He was saved by the Coast Guards and then arrested. I had a good laugh when I read about it.

• Wow
Reactions: cphabs and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just finished Season 2 Episode 7 of Your Honor and it’s hands down one of the best if not the best series I’ve seen in the past year. Superb casting, stellar acting, a storyline that keeps you riveted.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Instead of The Englishman we watched all five episodes of Treason last night.

The script was probably written by Cocaine Bear, because the pacing is way over the top. Don't recommend it, it's so far-fetched, even by the British typically reaching conspiracy theories. It reminded me of Designated Survivor (ouff!), the plot resembles it in part.

I don't even know why we finished the whole thing. :laugh:

• Wow
Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just finished watching Season 1 of The Consultant. It’s dark and edgy and as you would expect, Christopher Waltz delivers. The ending is quirky but the series really draws you in the deeper you delve and then you want to find out what comes next.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Can’t believe this is happening. At least Cocaine Bear was loosely based on a true story but here we have a gator on meth, with his teeth intact!!!

Didn’t take long for users to come up with other ideas along the same lines:

Heroin Hippo
Phenobarbital Piranha
Ketamine Kangaroo
Xanax Zebra
The Crackodile
Quaalude Quail
Peyote Coyote
Speed Shark
Fentanyl Fox
PCP Panda
Marijuana Manatee
Pot Beaver
Ecstasy Koala
Adderall Constrictor
Angel Dust Racoon
Weed Weasel
Acid Ants
Moonshine Squirrels

And my personal favorite: Bath Salts Big Foot :laugh:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Just saw Ant-Man last night in theater. The usual big MCU entertainment with no consequences. It was entertaining for an evening. But it is what it is. Not a very original script. So far they have not done a lot with Kang and the time-space travelling stuff. I don't know if they know themselves what it is and what they should do with it?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Can’t believe this is happening. At least Cocaine Bear was loosely based on a true story but here we have a gator on meth, with his teeth intact!!!

Heroin Hippo
Phenobarbital Piranha
Ketamine Kangaroo
Xanax Zebra
The Crackodile
Quaalude Quail
Peyote Coyote
Speed Shark
Fentanyl Fox
PCP Panda
Marijuana Manatee
Pot Beaver
Ecstasy Koala
Adderall Constrictor
Angel Dust Racoon
Weed Weasel
Acid Ants
Moonshine Squirrels

The Crackodile

That's the best one by a mile lol

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Quick Question : i'm finally thinking about subscribing to either Disney + , Prime or Netflix and i would like to know your opinion on who's the best choice right now .

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Quick Question : i'm finally thinking about subscribing to either Disney + , Prime or Netflix and i would like to know your opinion on who's the best choice right now .
I have all 3 and I would rank them Netflix, Prime and Disney+

Netflix has the most content and lot of orginal stuff content they aren't all winners but the even with low % with those Qty you will find something worth watching, at one point they had like 50 series and over 80movies being film per year (not sure if those numbers are still accurate) but they are trying to push a lot of stuff. It is harder to share right now but there is still a few way around it.

Prime original content is a bit worst right now, the layout isn't as good but maybe that is just me... you do get Prime music and free shipping amazon... You can still share Prime account right now.

Disneys+ just doesn't have that much the new content, unless you what to rewatch marvel and Starwar. I'll see at the theater most of the new stuff anyway and what come out isn't worth it, even my kids watch kids stuff on netflix. you can also still share Disney+ right now or just sign up for a month you will have time to watch everything there is to watch.

Reactions: Frenchy

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Grew up watching CFCF 12 Pulse News with the hilarious and witty Don McGowan doing weather and hosting a travel show. That was an amazing cast he was part of, with the likes of Bill Haugland, Ron Reusch and Dick Irvin, Randy Tieman later joined by Mutsumi Takahashi, Brian Wilde, Rob Faulds and others.

He definitely was a Montreal icon to those who followed Pulse. He just knew how not to take himself too seriously and how to connect with his audience. I wasn’t a fan of weather reports but I actually looked forward to Don’s segment cause he’d always have something nutty up his sleeve and some of it was quite risqué humor.

My favorite part of Pulse newscasts was whenever Don did something so outrageous that the whole studio could be heard laughing (there was an echoey background laugh of camera people and behind the scenes types), as well as the on-camera people like super serious anchorman Bill Haugland who’d lose his composure and would laugh like a horse (he looked like one, when laughing out loud). Ron Reusch waiting for Don’s segment to be over so he could do his sportscast, could often be seen suppressing laughter and responding with dry humor or simply expressing disbelief at what Don had just done, before getting into his segment.

Those were great days for the media. Amazing on-air personalities who were real pros and knew how to hold your attention. They were also fixtures who could be counted upon to be with the station over many years so as a viewer, you had ample opportunity to build a rapport.

I know that other cities from those days had their own special people doing TV newscasts and had a real budget to work with and longevity but it’s not about that. Don was one of us, he was a Montrealer who chose to make his home here and who travelled the world. I feel privileged to have experienced those days and how Don and the rest of the crew created outstanding television.

RIP Don, and condolences to his family and friends.

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
It's an unpopular opinion, but Prime has the best original content IMO.

Selection-wise there isn't much debate I don't think. Netflix will give you by far the most choice. Now, a lot of it is total crap IMO, but not everyone has my preferences.

Disney+ I do not subscribe to because it has little to offer to me personally. I did have the service but dropped it quickly. It's not for me.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

Heroin Hippo
Phenobarbital Piranha
Ketamine Kangaroo
Xanax Zebra
The Crackodile
Quaalude Quail
Peyote Coyote
Speed Shark
Fentanyl Fox
PCP Panda
Marijuana Manatee
Pot Beaver
Ecstasy Koala
Adderall Constrictor
Angel Dust Racoon
Weed Weasel
Acid Ants
Moonshine Squirrels

In Sweden we have Moose Booze. It works since we pronounce Z as S.

• Haha
Reactions: Runner77

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Netflix is still king imo. Tbh, I don’t think the other two come close, I have all 3, but I’ve been trying to have the wife cancel Disney + for months, it’s complete crap. I have a prime account through work, I wouldn’t pay for it out of my own pocket. Netflix has a fair bit of crap, but it’s also got a fair bit of quality now.

Netflix >>> Prime >>>>>>>>>>> Disney +

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
This is the way day

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00