OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Kinda like Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul and Yellowstone and it’s prequel.

I think watching GOT first will be good if nothing more than this was how they were released chronologically and you’ll get some satisfaction and a-ha moments when you see the events or meet HoD characters. Otherwise, in terms of timeline, I think you’d be perfectly fine watching HotD.

Just my opinion as I have yet to watch HoTD

Just watched episode 2 where she had her meltdown in the restaurant when Gary said he had to leave a couple days. Man, she’s exhausting, lol.
Timeline wise HotD predate GoT.

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Any of you receive a Netflix notice about how only those in your household being able to be on your account? How are they going to police it? What a sucky policy.

You'll need to set a primary place (IP) and then some special passcode if you're travelling, cell phone etc......can't access your netflix outside that IP adress

Reactions: Runner77

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Canceled the flix immediately. It’s home to a large number of my go-tos for background noise or whatever, but they’re all movies and TV that are 10+ years old. Bo Burnham Inside was fantastic, but I largely don’t care for the rest of what they call their originals. I’m content getting hosed by the full Crave suite and Disney+ for the kids and extended family.

And don’t forget legendary free apps like Tubi.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Canceled the flix immediately. It’s home to a large number of my go-tos for background noise or whatever, but they’re all movies and TV that are 10+ years old. Bo Burnham Inside was fantastic, but I largely don’t care for the rest of what they call their originals. I’m content getting hosed by the full Crave suite and Disney+ for the kids and extended family.

And don’t forget legendary free apps like Tubi.
I’m curious about Bo Burnham Inside and Tubi — can you provide more context please?

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I received the prompt from NF and thought, why am I paying you guys for your shitty streaming service when there are better options available. Do any of you have Disney+? If so is it any good or are there even better options?

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
I’m curious about Bo Burnham Inside and Tubi — can you provide more context please?

Bo Burnham filned a pandemic special over the course of months in his guest house (lol). Mostly him and his autotuner doing hilarious voices set to music with creative use of stage lighting. Some of it is pretty dark, some of it pretty light and silly. I’m probably not doing much to hype it here, but it won a lot of praise from older traditional comics like Bill Burr for Bo putting himself out there a bit.

Tubi is a straight up free (ad-supported) movie/TV app from Fox with a maaaassive library. Old movies, B movies, forgotten 80s/90s gems, British comedy series, blockbusters, thousands of music docs and concerte, it has a lot of worthwhile stuff. Highly recommend checking it out.

• Love

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
I received the prompt from NF and thought, why am I paying you guys for your shitty streaming service when there are better options available. Do any of you have Disney+? If so is it any good or are there even better options?

I've got Netflix, Amazon and Disney. I'd say Netflix is still probably tops. Disney tries to release "premium" series, but they've mostly sucked in my opinion (with a few exceptions). Their writers are just globally not good.

Amazon is not awesome, but I have it as an ancillary to Prime, so it's adequate as an extra feature for something else.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Disney + is better if you're in Canada as they get some series from Hulu and Peacock on top of the typical disney stuffs but I don't think Disney + is worth keeping all the time.....as most streaming services.

I always have a rotation between Netflix, Disney+, Crave, Prime video, Paramount + and Apple TV.
2 or 3 at the times and switch often.

I think the most underrated of the bunch is Apple TV. Not a whole lot of stuff, but only originals and many gems for series!

Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I've got Netflix, Amazon and Disney. I'd say Netflix is still probably tops. Disney tries to release "premium" series, but they've mostly sucked in my opinion (with a few exceptions). Their writers are just globally not good.

Amazon is not awesome, but I have it as an ancillary to Prime, so it's adequate as an extra feature for something else.
I have Amazon for the same reason and for the most part, was happy with it but we were pissed when they didn't carry Yellowstone season 5. In order to get it we have to sign up for Paramount+.
Disney + is better if you're in Canada as they get some series from Hulu and Peacock on top of the typical disney stuffs but I don't think Disney + is worth keeping all the time.....as most streaming services.

I always have a rotation between Netflix, Disney+, Crave, Prime video, Paramount + and Apple TV.
2 or 3 at the times and switch often.

I think the most underrated of the bunch is Apple TV. Not a whole lot of stuff, but only originals and many gems for series!
I have Crave through my cable provider along with HBO Canada but they have cheated us, cable customers, by no longer providing a list of new release movies and series. I go to the Crave app on my Roku tv and search for new content and then have to go through an alphabetical list on my cable menu. I will be dropping all three and saving 20 bucks a month. Netflix is going to lose most of it's customer base because of it's new rules, they aren't what they used to be and now was not the time to get greedy. Disney and Apple tv might be worth a look, thanks for the suggestions.

Reactions: Twisted Sinister

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Timeline wise HotD predate GoT.

That's what I said? The part you bolded was simply me saying GoT was aired first. I pointed the timeline in the rest of the post.

They are the new Friday the 13th.

I swear there'S nothing original in theater anymore. At least there's Netflix. It's not high quality but they are making new original movies.

I really enjoyed Day Shift.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I have Amazon for the same reason and for the most part, was happy with it but we were pissed when they didn't carry Yellowstone season 5. In order to get it we have to sign up for Paramount+.

This situation illustrate perfectly today streaming reality, the contents you don't own isn't worth shit.
Amazon doesn't own Yellowstone, Paramount does. And Paramount decided to move the series to his own streaming service (Paramount+) from season 5 onward and there's nothing Prime can do about it. In the fact is once their current distribution deal expire, Prime will lose season 1~4 and the whole thing will be exclusive to PM+.

3rd party contents is nothing more than library padding at this point, and the contents that you owns is the only thing that will differentiate you from the next streaming service.

I have Crave through my cable provider along with HBO Canada but they have cheated us, cable customers, by no longer providing a list of new release movies and series. I go to the Crave app on my Roku tv and search for new content and then have to go through an alphabetical list on my cable menu. I will be dropping all three and saving 20 bucks a month. Netflix is going to lose most of it's customer base because of it's new rules, they aren't what they used to be and now was not the time to get greedy. Disney and Apple tv might be worth a look, thanks for the suggestions.

Ultimately Netflix will be fine, mostly because the new rule will become the norm. All streaming service are facing the same problem, natural subscribers growth stagnated for years and there is no upsides for them in accounts sharing. It's just a matter of time now.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
This situation illustrate perfectly today streaming reality, the contents you don't own isn't worth shit.
Amazon doesn't own Yellowstone, Paramount does. And Paramount decided to move the series to his own streaming service (Paramount+) from season 5 onward and there's nothing Prime can do about it. In the fact is once their current distribution deal expire, Prime will lose season 1~4 and the whole thing will be exclusive to PM+.

3rd party contents is nothing more than library padding at this point, and the contents that you owns is the only thing that will differentiate you from the next streaming service.

Ultimately Netflix will be fine, mostly because the new rule will become the norm. All streaming service are facing the same problem, natural subscribers growth stagnated for years and there is no upsides for them in accounts sharing. It's just a matter of time now.
Streaming services have become very popular and it will probably cost much more to subscribe to them in the coming years, just like everything else. I will keep the Amazon service because it's included with prime and I will add and drop Streaming channels on a monthly basis from here on in.

Reactions: Milhouse40

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Streaming services have become very popular and it will probably cost much more to subscribe to them in the coming years, just like everything else. I will keep the Amazon service because it's included with prime and I will add and drop Streaming channels on a monthly basis from here on in.

You can use something like Justwatch (JustWatch - New and recently added movies and tv shows) to find who carry the contents you want to watch and manage your subs around this.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
This thread makes me think of a comic strip I saw a few years ago:

d3423w2g5ur21.jpg

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
One of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. RIP.

What a weird interview! For God's sake, what was he trying to do her, we will never know. Trying to say she was not hot? lol

Anyway, I wanted to say that Damn I missed my chance! lol I remember seeing her years ago on TV and she was still hot in her old age.

I'm probably gonna catch up to a few of her movies I have not seen. She played in the movie version of the heroin Modesty Blaise called "Fathom". That sounds pretty cool.

Raquel Welch made generations of boys/men dream. R.I.P.

Reactions: Runner77 and Chili

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad