OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Been watching the reboot series of Quantum Leap, which I discovered randomly.

I’ve never gotten into the first version (which aired from 89-93) as I couldn’t take Scott Bakula.

The reboot’s cast is likeable even if the pace is rather slow at times. Eleven episodes released in its 1st season, last one aired on Jan. 30th.

Man, the original Quantum Leap used to be one of my favorite shows. I mean, it was during my university years and I was drunk a lot, but I was really bummed when it got cancelled. Watched the first two episodes of the reboot but took a break.

On said break, I watched one of your recommendations; The White Lotus. Finished season one and enjoyed it despite hating every character lol. Just watched the first episode of the second season.

I know the 4th episode of The Last of Us came out yesterday, but I just watched the 3rd episode this evening. What an amazing episode! I loved it and one of my favorite hours of TV in quite some time.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Man, the original Quantum Leap used to be one of my favorite shows. I mean, it was during my university years and I was drunk a lot, but I was really bummed when it got cancelled. Watched the first two episodes of the reboot but took a break.

On said break, I watched one of your recommendations; The White Lotus. Finished season one and enjoyed it despite hating every character lol. Just watched the first episode of the second season.

I know the 4th episode of The Last of Us came out yesterday, but I just watched the 3rd episode this evening. What an amazing episode! I loved it and one of my favorite hours of TV in quite some time.
How much did you enjoy the suitcase scene from Season 1, Episode 6 of The White Lotus? I’ve never seen anything like it.

The way the resort manager Armond kept self-destructing was riveting. The progressive loss of inhibition and total absence of shame, added extra layers of comedy for me.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
How much did you enjoy the suitcase scene from Season 1, Episode 6 of The White Lotus? I’ve never seen anything like it.

The way the resort manager Armond kept self-destructing was riveting. The progressive loss of inhibition and total absence of shame, added extra layers of comedy for me.

LOL, I will admit the suitcase scene was a little shocking. I thought it would be implied but then they just went there…

Armond was the most interesting character and his path was both comedic but tragic.

On the topic of Armond, the actor who plays him happened to be one of the main characters in episode 3 of the Last of Us. He was great in it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
LOL, I will admit the suitcase scene was a little shocking. I thought it would be implied but then they just went there…

Armond was the most interesting character and his path was both comedic but tragic.

On the topic of Armond, the actor who plays him happened to be one of the main characters in episode 3 of the Last of Us. He was great in it.
Those uber rich guests were despicable. The condescending attitude and barbs ramped up the pressure. Just the worst display of human behavior, felt so real.

For sure, they took the suitcase scene much farther than I expected but once they showed it, I was splitting a gut watching Armand’s facial expressions as he was doing it.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Those uber rich guests were despicable. The condescending attitude and barbs ramped up the pressure. Just the worst display of human behavior, felt so real.

For sure, they took the suitcase scene much farther than I expected but once they showed it, I was splitting a gut watching Armand’s facial expressions as he was doing it.

Yeah, they were all horrible. Even the spa manager, Belinda, I didn‘t have much sympathy for. I get she was strung along by Tanya, but at the same time she was ready to use her also.

Speaking of Tanya, while I didn‘t necessarily hate her in season one, man, she is horrible so far after the first episode of S2.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah, they were all horrible. Even the spa manager, Belinda, I didn‘t have much sympathy for. I get she was strung along by Tanya, but at the same time she was ready to use her also.

Speaking of Tanya, while I didn‘t necessarily hate her in season one, man, she is horrible so far after the first episode of S2.
Tanya is super annoying in Season 2. She’s also very gullible which gets her in trouble. Her character picks up steam as the season advances and becomes a key figure. It gets interesting.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Just out of sheer curiosity, reading about HotD... Does one need to watch GoT before starting it?

I haven't seen GoT (my wife has on her own), and most likely never will.

Didn't think HotD was in the cards for me either because the little I read about it I liked even less than GoT to be frank.

That said, my wife has been bugging me and I'm really not wanting to spend the little time I got of HotD.

Maybe someone says - "newb, you gots to watch GoT first!" and I can use that as the excuse.

Thank you.

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Just out of sheer curiosity, reading about HoD...

Does one need to watch GoT before starting HoD?

I haven't seen GoT (my wife has on her own), and most likely never will.

Didn't think HoD was in the cards for me either because the little I read about it I liked even less than GoT to be frank.

That said, my wife has been bugging and I'm really not wanting to spend the lttie time I got of HoD. Maybe someone says - "newb, you gots vto watch GoT first!" and I can use that as the excuse.

Thank you.

Kinda like Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul and Yellowstone and it’s prequel.

I think watching GOT first will be good if nothing more than this was how they were released chronologically and you’ll get some satisfaction and a-ha moments when you see the events or meet HoD characters. Otherwise, in terms of timeline, I think you’d be perfectly fine watching HotD.

Just my opinion as I have yet to watch HoTD

Tanya is super annoying in Season 2. She’s also very gullible which gets her in trouble. Her character picks up steam as the season advances and becomes a key figure. It gets interesting.

Just watched episode 2 where she had her meltdown in the restaurant when Gary said he had to leave a couple days. Man, she’s exhausting, lol.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
"You" got me.

It's an interesting script. it has mainstream, "new age" elements plenty, but you can tell it's a crafty one.

A lot more thoughts on it overall, but I want to be careful in case this fizzles out. I'm only 4 episodes in.

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
This looks so ridiculous, over-the-top and stupid….

I am so there opening weekend.

961DCA90-2AB0-4CE5-B751-35E394D561A5.gif

• Haha
Reactions: HabbyGuy

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
"You" got me.

It's an interesting script. it has mainstream, "new age" elements plenty, but you can tell it's a crafty one.

A lot more thoughts on it overall, but I want to be careful in case this fizzles out. I'm only 4 episodes in.
You got me, too. I mean you, not that show.

The "You" show you're watching is in its 4th season, with the prior 3 seasons featuring 10 episodes each.

That goes way beyond your self-imposed threshold of episodes you normally consider acceptable before you'll watch a show. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodKiwi

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
House of The Dragons was good, if you like dragons; there's lots of scenes with them, well made too. How the riders stayed on is crazy the way they fly around.

I watched the first 2 episodes of The White Lotus, looks like it's more of the same as last season. I laughed when I saw the actor who plays the son/father of the three men. "Hey, that's what's his name from the Sopranos".

Aubrey Plaza:" Hey, what's with the boner? :laugh:

Theran189

Jun 24, 2006
Flash seems to be less of a shitshow than expected.
Guardians I’ll like since I have no expectations and generally lives everything Marvel.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Flash seems to be less of a shitshow than expected.
Guardians I’ll like since I have no expectations and generally lives everything Marvel.

Well James Gunn is now the main guy for the DCEU. I'm surprised that, with the cancel wave at WB + Hollywood, they kept Erza Miller as the Flash. He's a bit of a pos.

Reactions: Milhouse40

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
The Flash looks pretty legit.

As for Gunn taking over and scrapping the DCEU for the DCU, I’m thinking this movie will end with a new universe to replace the Snyderverse. This will allow recasting the characters and tell new stories. Not sure how they’ll deal with Barry Allen.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I wish they would stop making Fast and Transformers movies.

I really enjoyed Fast 5, but yeah, I do miss the street races. I do think I read that there’s only one (or two) more Fast movies planned.

Transformers sucked after the first one, but I liked Bumblebee. I think Beast Wars is set in this universe/timeline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad