OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Finally a movie I'm interested in Watching!

I may be wrong but this may be the first Three Musketeers movie made by the French, in France with Top french actors. Superb cast with Eva Green, Vincent Cassell, Romain Dupuis, etc...My favorite adaptation so far had been the 1973 one by Richard Lester with Oliver Reed, Christopher Lee, Michael York, Faye Dunaway, etc...I loved the great chaotic adventure spirit it had. I wished there would be a series of films based on these novels cause there's a lot to cover beyond the first book and "Man with the Iron Mask".

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006

Anxiously awaiting to see what I might've lost, if anything, once trakt is back online. 14 years or tracking stuff, so I'd be really disappointing to lose this data. Anyone else on trakt?

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

Anxiously awaiting to see what I might've lost, if anything, once trakt is back online. 14 years or tracking stuff, so I'd be really disappointing to lose this data. Anyone else on trakt?

I am. And in theory, the only thing you could lose is the stuff you did between their last backup (unspecified date) and Dec 11. So don't worry too much about it for now.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I am. And in theory, the only thing you could lose is the stuff you did between their last backup (unspecified date) and Dec 11. So don't worry too much about it for now.
That's reassuring, thanks.

I've been reading that user data might not come back in full cause there's some corruption. I assume by user data they mean our traked history, collections, etc. and not profile/settings.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
That's reassuring, thanks.

I've been reading that user data might not come back in full cause there's some corruption. I assume by user data they mean our traked history, collections, etc. and not profile/settings.

"Database Partially Restored​

We were able to restore a baseline database backup & are importing data added between that backup & Dec 11. First up is refreshing TV show & movie metadata. We're currently working on the user data. There is some corruption, but we're working to save all that we can."

I'll be damned if trakt doesn't have any backup of the users data, because literally everything else on the site is outsourced from TVDB/TMDB so it's something you can always get back (albeit at the cost of extended downtime) whereas users data is unique and pretty much their sole responsibility.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This came as a complete shock. :oops:

The man exuded kindness and by many accounts, was a source of happiness and inspiration. You never know what lays in the deepest recesses of someone’s heart, for him to have done what he did. RIP.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
So anybody else going to see Avatar 2 this weekend? Got my tickets about a month ago at IMAX in Quebec City. I'm not sure what to expect. I've heard they built a new camera for the underwater 3D effects (maybe a new camera altogether?).

There seems to be a bunch of criticism around the story from critics. My take is that it's probably not going to be a Cannes worthy movie, you don't go see Avatar to be challenged intelectually. However, I've seen Avatar 1 (at IMAX) recently and it still is miles ahead of those superheroes movies that lacks both story and are way to reliant on cut-and-paste CGI. Avatar is still a top-tier experience as far as I'm concerned. I think the whole criticism thing stems from people having such high expectations... It's a movie for both adults and kids, so it's gotta be simple enough to be understood by everyone.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
So anybody else going to see Avatar 2 this weekend? Got my tickets about a month ago at IMAX in Quebec City. I'm not sure what to expect. I've heard they built a new camera for the underwater 3D effects (maybe a new camera altogether?).

There seems to be a bunch of criticism around the story from critics. My take is that it's probably not going to be a Cannes worthy movie, you don't go see Avatar to be challenged intelectually. However, I've seen Avatar 1 (at IMAX) recently and it still is miles ahead of those superheroes movies that lacks both story and are way to reliant on cut-and-paste CGI. Avatar is still a top-tier experience as far as I'm concerned. I think the whole criticism thing stems from people having such high expectations... It's a movie for both adults and kids, so it's gotta be simple enough to be understood by everyone.

I mean.. it's Pocahontas in Space

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

The first one was quite philosophical.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Yeah I get it isn't for everyone but I still do quite enjoy it for the most part.

I feel very similar about The Wire as you do towards Yellowstone. I tried a few times to get into The Wire, since many people said I would enjoy it, but that show just never appealed to me for some reason despite how highly rated it was and I always gave up during the 1st season. I'll most likely never watch it at this point but we'll see.

The Yellowstone prequel 1923 hasn't started airing yet and will start next Sunday, Dec 18th.
For sure everyone has their own barometer to what they can watch,I never watched much actually and have a hard time with shows in general,too much of a keen observer and can shred any show on authenticity, for shows that are trying to create a show that is true to life. Of course sci-fi,comedy etc,well ya,it's all unrealistic so can tolerate it to some degree,just turn my brain off.lol.

Reactions: sheed36

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
After announcing that he would come back as Superman, Henry Cavill was dropped off by the new directors of DC movies.

:(

Reactions: Kimota

Grate n Colorful Oz

Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
After announcing that he would come back as Superman, Henry Cavill was dropped off by the new directors of DC movies.

:(

It's James Gunn's show now

He probably wants to reboot SM and do it right. Man of Steel was great. Michael Shannon made an incredible Zod. It was also great seeing doomsday on the big screen for the first time in BvsS, but the whole universe was badly set-up and any subsequent appearances after MoS were a jumbled mess.

I'm still waiting for someone somewhere to finally handle Lex Luthor properly and most importantly, finally find a fitting actor. There were rumors of Bradley Cooper with a shaved head back when, erg, not sure which iteration (probably instead of Heisenberg), which I thought was a great idea as long as he's not a comical caricature like Hackman and Spacey were. Heisenberg's Luthor was too much of a neurotic wimp. The only true Lex Luthor I've ever seen was on TV by Michael Rosenbaum in Smallville, as painful as it is to say. Even the Epstein-lookalike John Shea in Lois & Clark was better at some point than all silver screen versions.

They need to incorporate continuity in a series of planned films and run through lesser exploited storylines melded with Zod and doomsday or Darkseid, but above all, finally bring Brainiac to the big screen.

/rant

• Wow
Reactions: Redux91 and ArtPeur

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Havig seen the first two episoes, I, for some odd reason, just can't connect with Strike's latest season. Must be my own fault - been away for a long time and very busy since coming back. The last Tvshow I watched was Karppi 6 weeks ago maybe? Not even a little bit of anything since. Now, with Strike, it feels like I need to put in some work to start enjoying its offerings.

Weird as heck for me. :/

And it's definitely not the show, I know it's me.

• Wow
Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
This came as a complete shock. :oops:

The man exuded kindness and by many accounts, was a source of happiness and inspiration. You never know what lays in the deepest recesses of someone’s heart, for him to have done what he did. RIP.

I can't comprehend this since hearing the news...I'm not one to get emotional but I can't shake this one off.
It's such a unique situation. It's not like Bourdain, Chester Bennington, Cobain, Benoit, and the likes, where we know they were battling with depression, anxiety, and addictions. It's always surprising and sad to hear someone go that far, but Twitch?...
Absolutely no sign or direction we can take to try to make the slightest bit of sense. He had reach his career aspirations, he had a beautiful family, all signs pointed towards a happy marriage, no excess consumption or anything related. Just happily celebrated their 9th anniversary...a week before xmas and he does this to them?..
I just don't get it.
Maybe sometimes the people who are always happy and smiling are hiding the toughest deamons.
I hope he found the peace he was seeking...RIP good man.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I never realized how many productions Steve Carrell had been in. Anyone a fan?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Sounds exactly like the first one......visually outstanding but the story is typical James Cameron with cringe worthy tropes beating you over the head one after another.

Reactions: ArtPeur

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Sounds exactly like the first one......visually outstanding but the story is typical James Cameron with cringe worthy tropes beating you over the head one after another.

I've heard that it's more a show of what they can do with their CGI than anything else at some point in the movie. Like.. there's one hour of just diving in the ocean with nothing to bring story-wise.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
I've heard that it's more a show of what they can do with their CGI than anything else at some point in the movie. Like.. there's one hour of just diving in the ocean with nothing to bring story-wise.
I just went and saw it. I thought this was a great part of the movie. You get to chill with these people for an hour, almost stress free.

Overall I've loved it big time! I thought it was better than the first. The scale of the war is scaled back, but the movie had more time to breathe.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
I've seen Avatar last night.

I rated the first one as a 7 on my scale, simple story , looks like a lot of Disney story out there, nothing new BUT the special effect were a big reference back then.

I think that the sequel is better, the only think I didn't like really that I found cheesy was the
arc around the seal team memory loaded back etc.

Beside that, this movie is breathtaking, really beautiful, I think it's worth the 20$ just for that. New the new clan, once again there's not so subtle lessons about inclusions, accepting others etc. but that's fine. I have to say... don't want to start a debate here but I was afraid this movie would be a full on ''buzz lightyear'' Disney movie with unnecessary life lessons. (didn't want to use the w word here). But it not that at all.

I would rate it an 8 or solid 7.5, just because it's nothing new, but a beautiful spectacle of technology.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I've seen Avatar last night.

I rated the first one as a 7 on my scale, simple story , looks like a lot of Disney story out there, nothing new BUT the special effect were a big reference back then.

I think that the sequel is better, the only think I didn't like really that I found cheesy was the
arc around the seal team memory loaded back etc.

Beside that, this movie is breathtaking, really beautiful, I think it's worth the 20$ just for that. New the new clan, once again there's not so subtle lessons about inclusions, accepting others etc. but that's fine. I have to say... don't want to start a debate here but I was afraid this movie would be a full on ''buzz lightyear'' Disney movie with unnecessary life lessons. (didn't want to use the w word here). But it not that at all.

I would rate it an 8 or solid 7.5, just because it's nothing new, but a beautiful spectacle of technology.

How is the 3d? Better than the first one? It's my motto that if you did not see Avatar in 3d then you did not see Avatar. Loved the first one in theater but when i watched it in 2d i tlhought the movie sucked. I would rate Avatar 3d a 8 and Avatar 2d a 6 maybe. The first one in 3d was the most impressive thing i had seen in a theater since Jurrasic Park and T2. I'm a little bit affraid to go watch the 2nd one cause the magic might not be there anymore ... did they improve the 3d after all those years?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
How is the 3d? Better than the first one? It's my motto that if you did not see Avatar in 3d then you did not see Avatar. Loved the first one in theater but when i watched it in 2d i tlhought the movie sucked. I would rate Avatar 3d a 8 and Avatar 2d a 6 maybe. The first one in 3d was the most impressive thing i had seen in a theater since Jurrasic Park and T2. I'm a little bit affraid to go watch the 2nd one cause the magic might not be there anymore ... did they improve the 3d after all those years?

Are there still TVs that offer 3D?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad