OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Grate n Colorful Oz

Dans ze mix
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Don't think so which is why you kind of have to see it in theater ;)

Yeah, I get that. I was just making sure of how much a gimmicky scam those TVs were. I know quite a few people who regretted buying one because there was so little content and the entertainment industry feigning to buy-in just long enough for TVs to sale.

Avatar was the catalyst to that.

Just sayin

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Yeah, I get that. I was just making sure of how much a gimmicky scam those TVs were. I know quite a few people who regretted buying one because there was so little content and the entertainment industry feigning to buy-in just long enough for TVs to sale.

Avatar was the catalyst to that.

Just sayin
They were kind of a scam but more "ahead" of their time like the Virtual Boy imo.

The main problem of 3d atm is the glasses and how expensive it is to make a real 3d movie. But it's probably just a matter of time before they are able to bring depth to a TV screen without having to wear glasses. It's a logical step moving forward once they can't make the TV slimmer and higher def / refresh rate will be useless.

The other problem was most 3d movies were not really 3d movies. The 3d was slapped in with software after the fact. It was bad. After watching Avatar 3d i went to see a Resident Evil movie in 3d and the 3d was so bad it made the movie actually worse that already was.

But 3d have been a thing since i was young in the 80ies. I remember watching a 3d demo in theater when i was something like 10 in the 80ies. Like ray tracing, fusion, virtual reality and hologram people will keep pursuing those tech until they can make them viable. Pretty sure one day 3d will be back without glasses. You'll look at a screen and it will be like looking thru a window.

Reactions: A55P2

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
I can't comprehend this since hearing the news...I'm not one to get emotional but I can't shake this one off.
It's such a unique situation. It's not like Bourdain, Chester Bennington, Cobain, Benoit, and the likes, where we know they were battling with depression, anxiety, and addictions. It's always surprising and sad to hear someone go that far, but Twitch?...
Absolutely no sign or direction we can take to try to make the slightest bit of sense. He had reach his career aspirations, he had a beautiful family, all signs pointed towards a happy marriage, no excess consumption or anything related. Just happily celebrated their 9th anniversary...a week before xmas and he does this to them?..
I just don't get it.
Maybe sometimes the people who are always happy and smiling are hiding the toughest deamons.
I hope he found the peace he was seeking...RIP good man.
For me, Bourdain hit harder. He was a low-key role model for me. I'm not a huge Ellen fan but I weirdly do remember this guy on SYTYCD.

Anyway, I think the bolded is exactly right. One the one hand I think everyone's faking a bit (pretending to be happier/more successful/more XYZ than reality). But those ppl whose life looks perfect are usually hiding something darker unfortunately. I'm also thinking of comics like Robin Williams here. Perfect happy exterior = sadness underneath :(

Reactions: Lshap and Runner77

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
They were kind of a scam but more "ahead" of their time like the Virtual Boy imo.

The main problem of 3d atm is the glasses and how expensive it is to make a real 3d movie. But it's probably just a matter of time before they are able to bring depth to a TV screen without having to wear glasses. It's a logical step moving forward once they can't make the TV slimmer and higher def / refresh rate will be useless.

The other problem was most 3d movies were not really 3d movies. The 3d was slapped in with software after the fact. It was bad. After watching Avatar 3d i went to see a Resident Evil movie in 3d and the 3d was so bad it made the movie actually worse that already was.

But 3d have been a thing since i was young in the 80ies. I remember watching a 3d demo in theater when i was something like 10 in the 80ies. Like ray tracing, fusion, virtual reality and hologram people will keep pursuing those tech until they can make them viable. Pretty sure one day 3d will be back without glasses. You'll look at a screen and it will be like looking thru a window.
3D has been around since the 1920's. Well made 3D movies are fun at home if you have a good setup like my JVC RS3100 and 135" scope screen.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
How is the 3d? Better than the first one? It's my motto that if you did not see Avatar in 3d then you did not see Avatar. Loved the first one in theater but when i watched it in 2d i tlhought the movie sucked. I would rate Avatar 3d a 8 and Avatar 2d a 6 maybe. The first one in 3d was the most impressive thing i had seen in a theater since Jurrasic Park and T2. I'm a little bit affraid to go watch the 2nd one cause the magic might not be there anymore ... did they improve the 3d after all those years?
I’m not the biggest 3D fan out there, I like it when you don’t really notice it, when it’s part of the movie, ans it is pretty solide in avatar 2 especially the in water scene.

Reactions: A55P2

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

At least they brought back pretty much everyone at least for appearance....

Yes....one more....

At least this variation of Jurassic Park seems more wild....

Reactions: sandviper

LV426

Oct 28, 2021
New Brunswick
I just went and saw it. I thought this was a great part of the movie. You get to chill with these people for an hour, almost stress free.

Overall I've loved it big time! I thought it was better than the first. The scale of the war is scaled back, but the movie had more time to breathe.
I heard it was shot in 16k at a high frame rate. That's crazy.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I can't comprehend this since hearing the news...I'm not one to get emotional but I can't shake this one off.
It's such a unique situation. It's not like Bourdain, Chester Bennington, Cobain, Benoit, and the likes, where we know they were battling with depression, anxiety, and addictions. It's always surprising and sad to hear someone go that far, but Twitch?...
Absolutely no sign or direction we can take to try to make the slightest bit of sense. He had reach his career aspirations, he had a beautiful family, all signs pointed towards a happy marriage, no excess consumption or anything related. Just happily celebrated their 9th anniversary...a week before xmas and he does this to them?..
I just don't get it.
Maybe sometimes the people who are always happy and smiling are hiding the toughest deamons.
I hope he found the peace he was seeking...RIP good man.
yeah his wife didn't seemed too shocked in her statement but that's just me kind of reading between the lines.

He must've had it REALLY bad. Never knew of him before but yeah it just feels especially awful when it really seems all good on the surface for whatever reason.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Dans ze mix
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

I can easily imagine the brainstorming that led to this.

- another dinosaur movie?!

- well, jurassic world wasn't nearly as popular as the park trilogy, but we could always reboot it

- wait...

- what?

- what if we had them on different planet?

- oh... (now i know why I hired this typewriter monkey) that's interesting and original.

- maybe we could turn the whole park ride into a real survival horror movie

- survival horror on a different planet, that sounds like Predators. Why would we go to a planet with dinosaurs?

- earth is doomed, we use a thingamaging to travel through wormholes to find another earth-like planet, but surprise we end-up on earth 65 million years ago!

-wow that's great. Who do you see as the main?

- predators with dinosaurs, we need a Brody lookalike

- we could hire Adam driver?

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec

I've been interested in 3D these past few months after buying a New Nintentdo 3DS. I also think it just adds a whole lot to a screen, either while watching a movie like Avatar or playing games. It seems to me like a logical step, but I do wonder if we won't just skip right ahead to Virtual Reality because this is also quite impressive.

And yeah the "looking through a window" feel has got to be the end goal. In some respects Avatar 2 felt like it in some moments, the remake of 1 did too. The 3D is just so damn well made that it really makes you feel you're there in certain scenes. I bet it's even more impressive in those very high-end newly made IMAX theatres around the world. I've seen Avatar in IMAX in Quebec City and it was great but this isn't one of the newest theatres out there.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I loved this line in Yellowstone last week, where the secretary of the prosecutor asked if she could say something that it wasn’t her place to normally say.

She had noticed a change in the prosecutor’s demeanour whenever he was in the presence of this beautiful woman, lobbyist with opposing interests to the government.

She told the prosecutor: “Women know women. Men know what women want them to know.”

Reactions: MarioLeMoose

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Watching TNG right from the beginning. I'm on season 6. Eff me network shows have a lot of episodes lol. Like 26 hour long (45 min) episodes a season. It was such a different landscape back then.

It's good fun. When it's really good it's as good as it gets TV wise imo. Even the so so episodes usually have something going for it. It's pretty unanimous that season one is the worst and it is true. But I found myself liking those episodes more than I did when I was a kid. I remember whenever there was a beardless Riker episode it wasn't going to be a lot of fun lol. I found things in those early episodes that we're interesting enough and the cheese factor is high which I like.

Data-led episodes are often the best. It's one of the finest characters written for TV ever imo. Spiner is very underrated though it's hard to tell at times whether it's just such a good role that it almost doesn't matter who played it. At the same time, I wouldn't have wanted anyone else to have played him.

Picard's great but he and his prime directive should go get a room somewhere sometimes. Many times he can be infuriating. But Stewart is tremendous.

Worf is great but he gets his ass handed to him too many times and his very sensible options get shut down too many times. But again, Worf-led episodes are often great.

Frakes has zero range but he's the love child of Shatner and Orson Welles which more than makes up for it. Love Riker. Not enough of him imo. He and Worf have this low key bromance which is great. They both serve as good counterparts to Picard's goody two shoeness.

Troi is really really good when she gets a shot at doing hard-hitting emotional stuff. Really good cryer. Many have joked about how her character mainly just states the obvious which is true but she's a great presence on the show imo. Just seems like a unique personality.

Crusher can be annoying at times and possibly the least likeable character in the show. Pulaski might have been better in a way but Crusher just fits into the cast better. They're not the greatest actors by and large but they have this je ne sais quoi quality about them that makes them one of the finest TV casts ever imo.

Laforge is very likeable except for his weirdness with the ladies. At times it's nerdy clumsiness but other times it's kind of creepy. I think I almost liked him better in the first season. He shined while others were still getting their footing. But yet again, despite his shortcomings it's such an iconic role that you just wouldn't want anyone else to play him.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

At least they brought back pretty much everyone at least for appearance....

Yes....one more....

i loved 70’s show but this new one looks like shit. Red and Kitty are going to have to save this one big time.

65 looks like mindless trash… exactly the type of movie I’m into. Looking forward to this one.

LV426

Oct 28, 2021
New Brunswick
Blade Runner 2049 very underrated. Not as good as the original, but a solid movie.

Just watched Del Toro's Pinocchio. Has to be the best version of Pinocchio. 9/10

Reactions: Redux91

Grate n Colorful Oz

Dans ze mix
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I’m pissed. I started Die Hard an hour late. f***ing party. Now, Hans will die too late ffs.

Merry xmas D

th-jpeg-46.jpg

• Love
Reactions: dinodebino

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Blade Runner 2049 very underrated. Not as good as the original, but a solid movie.

Just watched Del Toro's Pinocchio. Has to be the best version of Pinocchio. 9/10
yeah BR2 is underrated in a sense because it should probably get way more love seeing how fantastic it was. I still see it on a lot of top 10 lists. Fantastic sequel. I need to see it again, but I think it possibly has more to chew on than the first one. I really thought there was a possibility that it was better than the first and I was prepared for the worst going in. There's just such a mood with the first one. It really hasn't been replicated since

Reactions: LV426

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I liked Homeland, especially seasaon 5, even though there are obvious seams in its writing. But that show, however, had other qualities that made it enjoyable.

Just caught an episode of Jack Ryan. Poor, POOR man's Homeland.

Jack enters the room....

Jack (CIA Agent): "Sonya, you have to set up the meeting."
Sonya ( FSB Agent): "No, I won't."
Jack: "If you don't sdome something many people are going to die."
Sonya: "Okay, I'll do it."

Scene ends showing Jack leave room and Sonya hunched over, seemingly crying (?) in the background.

:laugh:

Just a small example but this one is trying to make your brain hurt in the worst way possible. Abhorrent writing, this is about as appetizing as a warm piece of excriment on a soggy toast. Yeah, I did watch 40 minutes of it, but more like in disbelief that this is as bad as what I'm hearing. Ouff, I don't like to bash any TV series, and this harshly especially, but this is so f***ing bad. Espionage, high political intrigue, moles and undercover agents.... wait, who the f*** wrote this script?!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

All I can do is laugh.

Acting is mediocre at best - everyone's here to get paid, that much is obvious.

Reactions: Runner77

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio: 8/10 Beautiful animation, good songs and good story.

the fabelmans: 7.5/10 a much better movie from spielberg than west side story.

Knives Out 2: 7.3/10 a couple notch below the first movie but still a decent entertainment.

the banshees of inisherin: 7.3/10 Interesting movie with great set location, good acting and good imagery. As long as you don't have huge expectation this is a fine movie. Don't expect to be as entertain with that movie that you were with In Bruges or 3 billboards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I liked Homeland, especially seasaon 5, even though there are obvious seams in its writing. But that show, however, had other qualities that made it enjoyable.

Just caught an episode of Jack Ryan. Poor, POOR man's Homeland.

Jack enters the room....

Jack (CIA Agent): "Sonya, you have to set up the meeting."
Sonya ( FSB Agent): "No, I won't."
Jack: "If you don't sdome something many people are going to die."
Sonya: "Okay, I'll do it."

Scene ends showing Jack leave room and Sonya hunched over, seemingly crying (?) in the background.

:laugh:

Just a small example but this one is trying to make your brain hurt in the worst way possible. Abhorrent writing, this is about as appetizing as a warm piece of excriment on a soggy toast. Yeah, I did watch 40 minutes of it, but more like in disbelief that this is as bad as what I'm hearing. Ouff, I don't like to bash any TV series, and this harshly especially, but this is so f***ing bad. Espionage, high political intrigue, moles and undercover agents.... wait, who the f*** wrote this script?!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

All I can do is laugh.

Acting is mediocre at best - everyone's here to get paid, that much is obvious.
My daughter had landed a speaking role in the first Jack Ryan series that was in part, filmed in Montreal. We watched all the episodes only to find out that her scene didn’t get past the editing room, lol.

Like you, I didn’t like the series. Luckily, there is so much good stuff out there now that it’s easy to move on from a series that falls short.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad