OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXXI (now rated PG)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
My daughter had landed a speaking role in the first Jack Ryan series that was in part, filmed in Montreal. We watched all the episodes only to find out that her scene didn’t get past the editing room, lol.

Like you, I didn’t like the series. Luckily, there is so much good stuff out there now that it’s easy to move on from a series that falls short.

Congrats to her anyways but shame it was cut.

She was a staple for so many decades. RIP.

I missed this last night and heard this AM. RIP.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I saw The Banshees of Inisherin last week. Although it has a lot of the same people who worked on In Bruges, it's a totally different sort of flick. So what I'm saying is don't go expecting the same urban sensibility. It is very much a pastoral film.

I enjoyed it immensely until the very last scene. The ending at first I found left me wanting more but this week I read the screenplay and saw that it worked especially since it's an Irish film. Nothing gets resolved in Ireland. That could be one reason. Another reason, I was with someone who was constantly jabbering and asking distracting questions. The last scene was when she hit her apex. While I was answering her questions I missed the subtext of that last scene.

Whether that last scene failed or I missed the subtext because of my inconsiderate companion, I still think it's the best film of 2022.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If you’re a Batman fan, you may just find this intriguing.

Did you know that there is a 15 part Batman series that was shown in theatres, during the 40s?

All 15 episodes available on YouTube.

After watching one episode, you can see some similarity with the 1960s Batman TV show with Adam West and Burt Ward minus the comic book type sound effects. It has more of the stylized fighting of the day's gangster movies.

Features yet another Canadian female lead who made it to Hollywood, whose career was cut short due to an accident.

• Wow
Reactions: ArtPeur

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
For those who likes history and are not against watching docu-series as those usually completely sucks, but the ones from Netflix The rise of Ottoman is quite well done. Season 2 is out with the war against Vlad Dracula and as the first season, I am impress as they are so well done compare of those typical docu-series. They did even better than they with their series Roman Empire

Of course it can't compare to a real series but it's in terms of the production it's pretty good and impressive for those type of series.

Warning, some scenes can be deranging as they depict very well the cruelty of those years....and since half of it is about Vlad Dracula, those who knows their history, knows what to expect!

Last edited:

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004
If you’re a Batman fan, you may just find this intriguing.

Did you know that there is a 15 part Batman series that was shown in theatres, during the 40s?

All 15 episodes available on YouTube.

After watching one episode, you can see some similarity with the 1960s Batman TV show with Adam West and Burt Ward minus the comic book type sound effects. It has more of the stylized fighting of the day's gangster movies.

Features yet another Canadian female lead who made it to Hollywood, whose career was cut short due to an accident.

They show it periodically on TCM on Saturday mornings.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If you’re looking for something light (very light!) or that you might want to watch as a couple, try Emily in Paris on Netflix. Three seasons available, drama, extravagance, romance and Parisian stereotypical attitude are on the menu. Casting is spot on for the concept.

As an aside, lead role is played by Phil Collins’ daughter.

Last edited:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I thought the BBC series Happy Valley was completed and all finished since we hadn't seen it since March of 2016 when season 2 finished airing but almost 7 years later season 3 (which will be the final season) as started airing.

It's been so long now between the 2nd and 3rd series I'll have to do a season 2 re-watch first before watching season 3.

Also saw today that there's a Luther movie coming in March 2023 called Luther: The Fallen Sun. :thumbu:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Why do that to people when they are clearly ready to rock?

(expletives)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I didn't know anything about his show either but I'll give it a go for the same reason as you. Also I wouldn't mind getting another Scott and Stonebridge season of Strike Back. What are both these guys doing these days anyway?

In other news... I thought the series Your Honor was a one and done but there's a season 2 coming soon I discovered recently so I'll be checking that out for sure.

I also came across the trailer for this upcoming series that looks somewhat intriguing to me called The Pale Blue Eye.

I've been waiting a bit impatiently for Strike season 5 and I'm quite happy to see it back starting this Sunday.

Am looking to watch all 4: Strike Back, Your Honor, The Pale Blue Eye and Strike.

YOUR HONOR: Initially, Season 2 of Your Honor was scheduled to premiere on Sunday, Dec. 11, 2022. However, in October, TVLine reported that the show’s return would be delayed by a month. Now, Season 2 is slated to make its debut on Sunday, January 15.

THE PALE BLUE EYE: was released in select cinemas on December 23, 2022, before its streaming release on January 6, 2023, by Netflix. The film received generally positive reviews from critics.

I've yet to start STRIKE, but loved the prior seasons.

You seem to really be into STRIKE BACK, what do you like about it?

Last edited:
Reactions: sandviper

Grate n Colorful Oz

Dans ze mix
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

"Jeremy Renner suffered blunt chest trauma and orthopaedic injuries.."

"The plough, called a Snowcat, accidentally ran over one of the actor's legs, causing major blood loss, a neighbour told the showbiz site."

Poor guy. Hope for him there's no permanent damage.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Am looking to watch all 4: Strike Back, Your Honor, The Pale Blue Eye and Strike.

YOUR HONOR: Initially, Season 2 of Your Honor was scheduled to premiere on Sunday, Dec. 11, 2022. However, in October, TVLine reported that the show’s return would be delayed by a month. Now, Season 2 is slated to make its debut on Sunday, January 15.

THE PALE BLUE EYE: was released in select cinemas on December 23, 2022, before its streaming release on January 6, 2023, by Netflix. The film received generally positive reviews from critics.

I've yet to start STRIKE, but loved the prior seasons.

You seem to really be into STRIKE BACK, what do you like about it?
Strike Back, specifically the second through I believe the 5th seasons, was fantastic escapism television.

Best way I can describe it is take any “evil mastermind” trope and mix it in with Call of Duty. You got bad guys with big master plans, a million evil henchmen versus two guys. I mean, sometimes it was crazier than Rambo. We’re talking about an endless wave of baddies in some gun fights and while it IS ridiculous, there was also some tension as there were times I thought this was it for the characters.

The characters of Stonebridge and Scott (all the main characters through the seasons) are ex-SAS and I think Ex-Army Ranger and while well trained, fight and argue all the time, even when being shot at lol. However, theres some depth surprisingly to their relationship and the actor’s chemistry is very obvious. Those two are among my favorite characters all-time from TV. It‘s not a spoiler, but i found it funny they casted an American to play an Englishman (though his mom is British) and an Australian to play an American.

They changed the main characters in the final 3 seasons (the Scott and Stonebridge characters replaced the first season’s), and while they aren’t as endearing to me anyways, they were still entertaining characters.

I mean, take it for what it is. Most of the acting isn’t great as it’s filmed with local talent depending where the show is set. The bad guys are straight out of an old Bond movie. Action pieces were generally decent (excellent by TV standards) but don’t expect any realism. However, I cared about the main characters which made the show enjoyable for me.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
avatar 2: 8/10 Mostly for how beautiful it looks and world building.

the menu: 7.8/10 Ralph Fiennes is great in it.

Nobody: 7.3/10 good performance by Bob Odenkirk.

Reactions: Redux91

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Tossed on 'Let Him Go' on Netflix last night.
Kevin Costner, set in the 60s and considered a Western...
JEEZUZ don't watch it right before bed, that was an INTENSE film!

Very well made.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This Tweet made me want to delve into the original 1966-68 Batman series (although the scene being referenced in the tweet was from a movie they made during that time).

The lads were hard at work. Season 1 featured 34 half hour episodes, which were aired from Jan to May 1966.

Season 2 jumped to 60 half hour shows, aired from Sep. 1966 to Mar. 1967.

The last season had 26 half hour episodes having aired from Sep 1967 to Mar 1968.

ABC ended up canceling the show near the end of the 3rd season based on a significant ratings drop. Several of the actors on the show had become so typecast that they had difficulty finding work after the show ended.

Sometimes the best new shows are the ones that are new to you without necessarily being recent. I had seen some before but now I feel like catching up.

Reactions: ArtPeur and Kimota

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
This Tweet made me want to delve into the original 1966-68 Batman series (although the scene being referenced in the tweet was from a movie they made during that time).

The lads were hard at work. Season 1 featured 34 half hour episodes, which were aired from Jan to May 1966.

Season 2 jumped to 60 half hour shows, aired from Sep. 1966 to Mar. 1967.

The last season had 26 half hour episodes having aired from Sep 1967 to Mar 1968.

ABC ended up canceling the show near the end of the 3rd season based on a significant ratings drop. Several of the actors on the show had become so typecast that they had difficulty finding work after the show ended.

Sometimes the best new shows are the ones that are new to you without necessarily being recent. I had seen some before but now I feel like catching up.

I'm probably older than you so I watched that show in the 60s. I can remember at the time thinking it was a piss poor show but I was a big Batman comic fan so I watched it anyway.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Looking like Korea has produced another winner. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive but I’ll have to see for myself.

Here’s the trailer. Netflix series in Korean with English subtitles. Unlike most US trailers, it doesn’t give away the whole story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad