OT: Let's talk about Movies and TV Shows, Part XXX (...how can this possibly go wrong)

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I get what you're saying in regards to the super hero moments. At times, she looked like you can drop her into any Marvel or DC movie and she could mow baddies down with an ax tied to a string.

Even these super hero moments weren't balanced... at one point, which I won't spoil when, her brother was an absolute badass, but then he like kinda weirdly gave up.

I did suspend belief though understanding this was ultimately a survival movie, but yeah, hop scotching off trees like a pinball to chase animals was dumb. I thought the bear sequence was great though.

I will agree with you that the Brody one was good. Maybe I liked it because it came out after the AVP movies, which sorry, I thought BOTH were trash, though AVP1 is a masterpiece compared to AVP2.

One thing I will say about the Predator in Prey, which I told my family after finishing this one...
he seemed kinda dumb to me. He made a lot of rather poor tactical decisions that eventually got his ass killed. Maybe against the other Comanche warriors, the director wanted to show how tough they were so they got some licks in, but he almost got taken down by a bunch of drunk trappers.

I think it was dumb and weak because it belonged to the upper caste, making it overconfident and not used to overcoming worst odds. I'm 100% sure he's from the same lineage as the ones we saw hunting a regular (like Arnie's P1) predator in the 2018 movie and the hybrid. They're the elite caste of Predators. That's also in the DH comics.

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I think it was dumb and weak because it belonged to the upper caste, making it overconfident and not used to overcoming worst odds. I'm 100% sure he's from the same lineage as the ones we saw hunting a regular (like Arnie's P1) predator in the 2018 movie and the hybrid. They're the elite caste of Predators. That's also in the DH comics.

I stopped reading the DH comics quite some time ago so I'll admit to be quite behind in the lore. Makes sense though. I recall the one in P2 was really aggressive and reckless and I believe the theory for that movie was that Predator was younger and less experienced.

I haven't picked up the Marvel Predator comics yet. Wonder if they're any good?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I watched Prey, pretty good but I wouldve liked to see him struggle a lot more against a grizzly. Its the apex predator of the planet, at least on land and it killed it hand to hand with minimal use of its equipment? Thats lame. I know Predators are strong and all but its still most likely a 300 lbs difference in weight and he had minimal armor.

I also started watching The bear. Good show, a bit hectic but its a very good glimpse into the world of fine dining vs mom and pops. One looks down on the other but it is an entirely different experience.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yeah like.. im in a mountain lake, I see a bear on the shore where I have all my stuff and a dead body lying around. The bear poops and then goes away.

My instant reaction would be, I need to find somewhere else to lay low.

What does that chick do? She goes right back to that shore and settles there.

The entire crash and survival part was poorly thought out and was simply an excuse to flaskback us some boring and sob story on how she was too much of a workaholic.

Wasted time
Seriously. Also, she inspects the poop to see what the bear ingested and digested because because whatever works for bear...works for humans I guess.
Oh and shes lost in wilderness with close to nothing...clothes are drenched..Why does she not take the clothes off the dead before the burial?

When she boils water in that metal concoction and it's too hold to take off the fire...she doesn't think to use her sweater to lift that hot pot like every other human being would have done?..

Oh and of course...has to be the cliche type too. That successful corporate woman who is very closed off to any emotional attachment and possible relationship. Yawn.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Shetland S07E01 on BBC One earlier today. Pretty competent show, think Broadchurch but with melodramatics toned down.

In early September It's "The Good Fight" and "The Handmaid's Tale" that I'm anticipating the most. As far as returning shows are concerned anyhow.

Have to check out Champion about to drop. Doesn't look like my cup of tea, but the hype has been strong. BBC's lineup is ridiculous this fall. NO idea how I can watch all that I'd like to.

Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Shetland S07E01 on BBC One earlier today. Pretty competent show, think Broadchurch but with melodramatics toned down.

In early September It's "The Good Fight" and "The Handmaid's Tale" that I'm anticipating the most. As far as returning shows are concerned anyhow.

Have to check out Champion about to drop. Doesn't look like my cup of tea, but the hype has been strong. BBC's lineup is ridiculous this fall. NO idea how I can watch all that I'd like to.

Handmaid's tale kinda lost me...First season was wow, then it quickly died for me. Didn't even watch the 3rd.
I do like The Good Fight, looking forward to that.

On the menu now:
-We own this city
-Wecrashed

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Handmaid's tale kinda lost me...First season was wow, then it quickly died for me. Didn't even watch the 3rd.
I do like The Good Fight, looking forward to that.

On the menu now:
-We own this city
-Wecrashed
I'm also a fan of The Good Fight. Liked it when it was The Good Wife too. Julianna Margulies is so hot.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Had you described me The Good Fight I wouldn't give it a try watching. But it's the writing here. Leads are so so here mostly, but this writing is very strong. It's why I watch.

@Kriss E

I certainly agree.

The Handmaid's Tale could not keep up with the level of excellence it set in S1. Yeah, some of the most memorable hours watching a show for me. And TERRIFYING, absolutely damn terrifying. During some scenes I would stop chewing and even breathing. I was paralyzed with fear. Of course this isn't a horror and that's how the kinda fear I mean. But that intensity and everything hanging in the balance often UNSAID. That quiet between two people talking and you are just living for that next word, that next sentence. Yeah, it was something. Intensity and deafening silence is how I'd describe show's S1.

Then it got louder...and lost a little something. Yeah, I felt that as well.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Done with Killing Eve. They brought in new characters just to confuse us more? That french chick on the Island, who eats worms and the other quiet one who seems to not know what she's supposed to do. The ending was good, I had a feeling Vilanelle was in trouble. Never expected her to get shot in the back. The underwater scene was especially poignant. Overall a good series. 7.3/10
Hoping no one else was planning to watch it, because someone doesn’t know how to use spoilers.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
The Handmaids take has been completely unwatchable for me for quite some time. Sad, season 1 was one of favourites, but it quickly took a turn for the worst.

I feel similarly about ozark, even though I enjoyed ozark until the end, I felt it was completely over the top and too difficult to suspend reality enough to enjoy it like I did at first. It got more and more and more absurd as time went on for me.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
She was high as a kite, apparently

Yea. I've seen a video of how fast she was going. A neighbor's doorbell camera shows her speeding down a residential street and you can hear the crash.

She suffered from severe burns from crashing into the home. She nearly killed a woman and her dogs, who were inside the house. But the home owner lost a lot of things that were personal and sentimental as a result.

In fact, Heche had another accident before this. But she fled the scene of the first crash before she ended up crashing into the house.

I don't feel any sympathy for Heche here.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
The Handmaids take has been completely unwatchable for me for quite some time. Sad, season 1 was one of favourites, but it quickly took a turn for the worst.

I feel similarly about ozark, even though I enjoyed ozark until the end, I felt it was completely over the top and too difficult to suspend reality enough to enjoy it like I did at first. It got more and more and more absurd as time went on for me.
Interesting you say that about Ozark.

To me, it's one of very rare shows that got better as it went. Season 3 was outstanding. Linney was mind-blowing in it. There was lots of discussion on Ruth's character back then, and deservingly so, but Linney was on her own throughout. Bateman's writing/character struggled playing second fiddle.

I'm still trying to decide whether 4th topped it or not. How they disconnected the last season took something out of it, for sure.

Still, Ozark and Barry are easily the best of 2022 in my view thus far.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Interesting you say that about Ozark.

To me, it's one of very rare shows that got better as it went. Season 3 was outstanding. Linney was mind-blowing in it. There was lots of discussion on Ruth's character back then, and deservingly so, but Linney was on her own throughout. Bateman's writing/character struggled playing second fiddle.

I'm still trying to decide whether 4th topped it or not. How they disconnected the last season took something out of it, for sure.

Still, Ozark and Barry are easily the best of 2022 in my view thus far.
See for me, Linney was one of the weak points of the show, not that she was terrible, probably one of the best roles of her career. Now, I've never really enjoyed her in anything prior, not sure why, but she just seems so phoney.

Barry was great but this last season started trending downwards for me. I'm happy they are ending it after next season before it goes to off the rails

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Handmaid's tale seasons 3 and 4?

It's not my favorite series, but the wife loves it, so I'll surely be watching season 5 in mid-september.

I liked the addition of Bradley Whitford as Commander Lawrence, who's done quite a job recycling himself as a bearded wealthy intellectual patriarch type, just like in Get Out. He's gonna fill his pockets being typecasted to death.

It's not for everyone. There's a lot of bleakness in the series, both cinematically and storywise.

What didn't you like?

As for Ozark, like most intricate series à la Breaking Bad, suffers from tying all the knots towards a forced ending, but even if I disliked where they pulled the series towards, it still kept me on the edge of my seat.

There are still parts of season 5 of breaking bad which irrates me up to this day as Im re-watching the whole series (because of BCS ending). It took me a lot of time to better appreciate some parts of it, although some of the series's best moments are in that season. "Say my name" remains one of the most epic scenes I've seen on TV, on par with Jimmy McGill completely squashing Kevin from conference room to parking garage, and Kim telling off to Chuck in the "i feel sorry for you" scene. Oh and Chuck's meltdown in court.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
See for me, Linney was one of the weak points of the show, not that she was terrible, probably one of the best roles of her career. Now, I've never really enjoyed her in anything prior, not sure why, but she just seems so phoney.

Barry was great but this last season started trending downwards for me. I'm happy they are ending it after next season before it goes to off the rails
Okay, just so we're clear - Linney is at the top of the mountain when it comes to actors and has been there for a while. Top 5, undoubtedly, probably only second to Streep. Active female actors obviously. Hardly just my opinion, feel free to read how highly she's regarded in Hollywood by her peers. She's an icon. The only thing that "hurts" her image is that she does not pick up a lot of work because she's got other callings/interests, but what she does star in she highlights. Ozark is not her best role, it can't be. She will always be tired to The Big C - that is her masterpiece.

As far as her acting goes, I wrote on this back then as S3 aired. She plays a despicable character, a very nuanced role but did you not start actively dislike her as the season went? That is the mastery of her character and its portrayal there. It is a silent uprising, an ugly one. She shows us who she really is - a monster might be too blunt but yes, I'll say so. It was beautiful to watch and understand that that she gradually changes tone of her voice and how she speaks (bet you didn't pick up on that, but it's true). You see where her priorities(y) are and what she wants. While Marty is a small time crook trying to navigate these dangerous waters, she is not that in slightest. She has a goal and does everything she can to obtain it. She'll step over her family, over their bodies if she has to. She wants power. That is the only thing she's interested in.

Deebs

Feb 5, 2014
Okay, just so we're clear - Linney is at the top of the mountain when it comes to actors and has been there for a while. Top 5, undoubtedly, probably only second to Streep. Active female actors obviously. Hardly just my opinion, feel free to read how highly she's regarded in Hollywood by her peers. She's an icon. The only thing that "hurts" her image is that she does not pick up a lot of work because she's got other callings/interests, but what she does star in she highlights. Ozark is not her best role, it can't be. She will always be tired to The Big C - that is her masterpiece.

As far as her acting goes, I wrote on this back then as S3 aired. She plays a despicable character, a very nuanced role but did you not start actively dislike her as the season went? That is the mastery of her character and its portrayal there. It is a silent uprising, an ugly one. She shows us who she really is - a monster might be too blunt but yes, I'll say so. It was beautiful to watch and understand that that she gradually changes tone of her voice and how she speaks (bet you didn't pick up on that, but it's true). You see where her priorities(y) are and what she wants. While Marty is a small time crook trying to navigate these dangerous waters, she is not that in slightest. She has a goal and does everything she can to obtain it. She'll step over her family, over their bodies if she has to. She wants power. That is the only thing she's interested in.
For sure, lots of people like her and that's fine, personal taste right. I don't care for her as a lead but she's a decent complimentary piece.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Handmaid's tale seasons 3 and 4?

It's not my favorite series, but the wife loves it, so I'll surely be watching season 5 in mid-september.

I liked the addition of Bradley Whitford as Commander Lawrence, who's done quite a job recycling himself as a bearded wealthy intellectual patriarch type, just like in Get Out. He's gonna fill his pockets being typecasted to death.

It's not for everyone. There's a lot of bleakness in the series, both cinematically and storywise.

What didn't you like?

As for Ozark, like most intricate series à la Breaking Bad, suffers from tying all the knots towards a forced ending, but even if I disliked where they pulled the series towards, it still kept me on the edge of my seat.

There are still parts of season 5 of breaking bad which irrates me up to this day as Im re-watching the whole series (because of BCS ending). It took me a lot of time to better appreciate some parts of it, although some of the series's best moments are in that season. "Say my name" remains one of the most epic scenes I've seen on TV, on par with Jimmy McGill completely squashing Kevin from conference room to parking garage, and Kim telling off to Chuck in the "i feel sorry for you" scene. Oh and Chuck's meltdown in court.
I found even season 2 of The handmaids take was too much. I watched 3 and reluctantly season 4. I dunno, the whole thing is unwatchable for me now. My wife started watching, she stopped me halfway through season two. I should have stopped there.

Deebs

Feb 5, 2014
Finished up The Old Man a couple days ago. Not a huge Jeff Bridges fan but thought it was a pretty good start to the series.

Any thriller, crime type shows a guy should watch?

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Finished up The Old Man a couple days ago. Not a huge Jeff Bridges fan but thought it was a pretty good start to the series.

Any thriller, crime type shows a guy should watch?
One of my all time favourites. Not recent, but good. It's a Welsh show, so might need to watch with CC - the accent is very thick at times.

This is a dark show. It wont make you feel good about yourself, but darkness blends well with Welsh landscapes - beautiful but not welcoming.

Reactions: Deebs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad